PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted golfing spectators

TheTrueReview
5th September 2012, 04:24 PM
Apparently some sightings of these things have started. Anyone had any close shaves lately?

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/241074_524031060956135_93269624_o.jpg

Leon Phelps
5th September 2012, 04:56 PM
Last wednesday, right next to a sign that said "Watch out Snakes are about"
Copperhead, I think

Courty
5th September 2012, 04:58 PM
Seen plenty of snakes, crocs, lace monitors etc. on the courses up here. Latest one was at Mareeba a little while back...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uTXoQ8iO3A&list=UUI0s7KvGYX5o7bZOspqf4-w&index=1&feature=plcp

Ferrins
5th September 2012, 04:58 PM
Got a very realistic rubber one that I used to use but kept pissing myself at some of the reactions in the scrub.

Cosmopolite
5th September 2012, 05:36 PM
Apparently some sightings of these things have started. Anyone had any close shaves lately?

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/241074_524031060956135_93269624_o.jpg

where was that (so I can avoid the place)

TheTrueReview
5th September 2012, 05:46 PM
Apparently, the Links Shell Cove.

Cosmopolite
5th September 2012, 06:23 PM
Apparently, the Links Shell Cove.

what variety?

Jarro
5th September 2012, 06:27 PM
Looks like a red-bellied black.

There are a few floating around Nudgee G.C at the moment too so the greenkeepers say.

Cosmopolite
5th September 2012, 06:33 PM
he is a pretty big specimen by the looks of it

JADO75
5th September 2012, 06:45 PM
Does a course marshall sneaking up in a cart & getting you twice during your swing count as an unwanted spectator? Pr*#k!

Cosmopolite
5th September 2012, 06:49 PM
I suppose by the time I get back to WA, they will be in full force there. shudder

TheTrueReview
5th September 2012, 07:10 PM
Looks like a red-bellied black.

Yep. The red belly just showing & has small undefined head. I had plenty of brushes with those whilst shooting as a teenager.

Once incident stands out though. One time, I was driving a car on a dirt track when I came around a bend and saw a red belly crossing just like in the picture. I was going that quick there was "no way" the snake could escape a case of Dunlop-itis. If I didn't see it, wouldn't have believed it but the red belly rose up on its tail and did a backwards 180 degree escape. Sort of like a backwards loop the loop. If anyone had told me that story, I would've called BS. I've run over plenty of snakes but I've never seen that before or since. :-s

There are a few floating around Nudgee G.C at the moment too so the greenkeepers say.

Great. :roll:

liptout
5th September 2012, 08:13 PM
I was driving into Twin Creeks this afternoon (unfortunately I was there for work, not for play) and a massive brown was crossing the road in front of me. He seriously looked like he was around 3m long.
I ran over his head with my front and back right side tires, and looked in my mirrors and he wasn't real happy about it.....
The car behind me must have skittled him too, cause on the way out I went and checked and it had been ripped apart and had a massive slice right down the side of it.

I felt a little bad, as I kinda like snakes. But browns aren't really the kind of snakes you wana mess with.....

Dcanto
5th September 2012, 08:50 PM
My wife's work social club played night golf recently out at Half Moon Bay. Jokes were made about stepping on snakes in the dark, but they were reassured that none had been seen recently and the weather was not yet warm enough.

Lo and behold as they finish up and are about to walk onto the concrete path near the club house, a 5 foot brown goes slithering out from near the ladies toilets and off into a nearby bush. Needless to say the ladies did not want to venture anywhere near the toilets for the rest of the night. There was a lot of leg crossing going on.

matty
5th September 2012, 09:49 PM
Yep. The red belly just showing & has small undefined head. I had plenty of brushes with those whilst shooting as a teenager.

Once incident stands out though. One time, I was driving a car on a dirt track when I came around a bend and saw a red belly crossing just like in the picture. I was going that quick there was "no way" the snake could escape a case of Dunlop-itis. If I didn't see it, wouldn't have believed it but the red belly rose up on its tail and did a backwards 180 degree escape. Sort of like a backwards loop the loop. If anyone had told me that story, I would've called BS. I've run over plenty of snakes but I've never seen that before or since. :-s

Great. :roll:

I'd believe it. As a kid I stayed with a mate on a chook farm and collected eggs for a week while the owners went on holidays. Had an air rifle and we'd spend the day shooting at stuff in unused sheds. I opened a large steel door and almost trod on a huge red belly enjoying the heat coming through the door. I flew backwards into my mate while the snake stood up and was about chest high right in front of me. It slid through the door at us then into some long grass, which I then started to part with the rifle :smt119 The things we do as kids......

jimandr
5th September 2012, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure about the tropics, but in NSW any combination of long grass and water means snakes during the warmer months. I've seen a lot of them during my golfing life.

Anybody I invite to Camden Lakeside needs to be aware of the possibility of finding one when looking for golf balls in the deep stuff, because we've got a few.

The biggest one I ever saw was at Pacific Dunes near Nelson Bay, just minding its own business slithering right across the fairway from the water on one side to the water on the other.

Peppas
5th September 2012, 11:01 PM
TTR I thought I'd seen that pic on my FB feed... looks like less walking round in long grass looking for my balls now :(

Peppas
5th September 2012, 11:02 PM
The other thing is that the browns will be out up the hill too... urgh. Blacks near the water, browns higher up... good times.

dave1
5th September 2012, 11:32 PM
snakes are a good sign, keep the rats and other vermin down

we mostly have tiger snakes here and the odd dugite and brown snakes

Tiger snakes don't lay dorment in winter here. They are out and about.

MegaWatty
5th September 2012, 11:51 PM
Jesus. I was knee deep in the rough there, half pissed, looking for pills a month ago.

razaar
6th September 2012, 08:07 AM
Walked onto the practice putting green at Bonville GC once and shared the green with the biggest black snake I've ever seen. Seen a few - The first fairway at Weipa GC was littered with them early mornings during the wet season in the 70's. Players would flick them away from their ball with a long iron.

Grunt
6th September 2012, 08:30 AM
Remember that massive dead Red Belly at Shell Cove Jim, it was around 7 feet.

Peppas
6th September 2012, 08:35 AM
Remember that massive dead Red Belly at Shell Cove Jim, it was around 7 feet.

Jeez great.

TheTrueReview
6th September 2012, 09:15 AM
Walked onto the practice putting green at Bonville GC once and shared the green with the biggest black snake I've ever seen. Seen a few - The first fairway at Weipa GC was littered with them early mornings during the wet season in the 70's. Players would flick them away from their ball with a long iron.

You country boys are bred tough Raz. Not even bothering to proceed under -

1-4/10Dangerous Situation; Rattlesnake or Bees Interfere with Play

Ducky
6th September 2012, 10:06 AM
You get relief from a rattlesnake but not a brown snake? God damn it!

Anyway, all of a sudden I'm not so keen to play golf today.

IanO
6th September 2012, 10:39 AM
You get relief from a rattlesnake but not a brown snake? God damn it!

Anyway, all of a sudden I'm not so keen to play golf today.

Wimp! :mrgreen:

razaar
6th September 2012, 10:56 AM
You country boys are bred tough Raz. Not even bothering to proceed under -

It was the way it was. Normally snakes avoid the open because of birds, golfers provide them with some protection for an early morning sunning. That's only a theory. :)

dc68
6th September 2012, 11:56 AM
Jesus. I was knee deep in the rough there, half pissed, looking for pills a month ago. Its ok they know ranga blood is toxic.

Aussielongdriver
6th September 2012, 02:13 PM
Tiger snakes are out already at Sactuary lakes already

MegaWatty
6th September 2012, 02:15 PM
:)

WBennett
6th September 2012, 02:19 PM
Grunt

Remember the snake(s) at Mt Broughton. You found one on the first!

TheTrueReview
6th September 2012, 10:25 PM
I'd believe it. As a kid I stayed with a mate on a chook farm and collected eggs for a week while the owners went on holidays. Had an air rifle and we'd spend the day shooting at stuff in unused sheds. I opened a large steel door and almost trod on a huge red belly enjoying the heat coming through the door. I flew backwards into my mate while the snake stood up and was about chest high right in front of me. It slid through the door at us then into some long grass, which I then started to part with the rifle :smt119 The things we do as kids......

Thankfully they're docile b*stards but they can flatten their neck like Cobras when angry.

http://www.wildlifeqld.com.au/image/snakes/Red-bellied-(6).jpg

Ducky
7th September 2012, 09:46 AM
I'm going to have to employ this guy as security detail whilst golfing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVqpNxic2qw#t=1m40s

sms316
20th September 2012, 06:36 PM
One snake didn't make it across the Bruce Hwy this afternoon near Eumundi. Winning!

liptout
20th September 2012, 07:43 PM
I went to Killarney driving range near Riverstone yesterday afternoon, and the 'pro shop' was shut down cause it seems a 2m blacky wondered in there and made himself at home. Don't know long it took for W.I.R.E.S. to turn up, but i was there for at least an hour and apparently the bloke was still an hour away.....

Xray
20th September 2012, 08:50 PM
I ran over and killed one today coming home from the Reddie Bay, thought it was a stick until I seen it moving.

sms316
8th October 2012, 08:39 AM
On Saturday I was walking off the 17th green at PW to the 18th tee. There is a small designated path directly behind the green with 18 inch high grass on either side.

I heard some rustling and then saw something that looked like the back of a snake. Needless to say I shat myself and ran out of there with my heart rate going off the charts.

I looked back and there was a 5 foot long goanna that was just as startled who ran straight up the tree which was directly between me and him when I first heard him.

I reckon I had to wait a couple of minutes to get calm again. I'm scared witless of snakes and the numerous sightings lately are not helping.

Marto65
8th October 2012, 09:20 AM
On Saturday I was walking off the 17th green at PW to the 18th tee. There is a small designated path directly behind the green with 18 inch high grass on either side.

I heard some rustling and then saw something that looked like the back of a snake. Needless to say I shat myself and ran out of there with my heart rate going off the charts.

I looked back and there was a 5 foot long goanna that was just as startled who ran straight up the tree which was directly between me and him when I first heard him.

I reckon I had to wait a couple of minutes to get calm again. I'm scared witless of snakes and the numerous sightings lately are not helping.

Is that why we are wearing brown/beige daks in Perth?

AndyP
8th October 2012, 09:24 AM
If your heart rate was going off the charts, you can count that as some extra calories burnt.

Jarro
8th October 2012, 11:51 AM
If your heart rate was going off the charts, you can count that as some extra calories burnt.

Add to that the 'deposit' you made in your daks, and you're probably about 1kg lighter :)

Johnny Canuck
8th October 2012, 11:53 AM

The Underdog's odd just shortened to $4.55 in the Super Singles Match Play. Bunbury is a snakefest.

Cosmopolite
8th October 2012, 12:22 PM
Wait til you get to WA SMS. We have plenty here for you. All poisonous too.

Ashes
8th October 2012, 12:30 PM
I've seen plenty of big snakes (King Browns for memory) near the Busso GC.

TourFit
8th October 2012, 04:30 PM
Most likely big dugites Ashes. I have seen some BIG dugites down south and with the wide differences in colour they have, it easily could look King Brown like...then again, it may be that King Browns could get that far south. They are mainly called Mulga Snakes here in WA and aren't usually found too much around Busso though. But never say never!

In South West WA (say Perth to Esperance) it is 'mostly' death adders, tiger snakes, dugites (the dugite is a variation of the brown snake, and is also known as the spotted brown), and Gwardars (Western Brown Snake) which are very widespread that form the MOST venomous list. The Gwardar is responsible for most serious snakebites in WA BTW!!.

Nuffie
8th October 2012, 05:01 PM
Jesus. I was knee deep in the rough there, half pissed, looking for pills a month ago.

The Links Shell Cove has a reputation for having red belly blacks.

Almost put my foot on one there too 4 years ago. It was curled up in long grass next to the 3rd green in a hazard - and I almost didn't see it. They seem to like hiding in Kikuyu. Also saw a few in Kiama when my grandparents lived in a place, on the headland near East Beach Caravan Park.

Yossarian
8th October 2012, 05:09 PM
We killed two king browns in Brookton as a kid.

Everyone seems to get really worked up about snakes, move to NZ if it is an issue.

sms316
8th October 2012, 05:13 PM
All snakes should be killed and used to make belts.

Jarro
8th October 2012, 05:14 PM
All snakes should be killed and used to make belts.

How many snakes to make your belt ?

mudrat
8th October 2012, 05:17 PM
Only one anaconda ....

sms316
8th October 2012, 05:20 PM
How many snakes to make your belt ? Not as many as were required a month ago.

Jarro
8th October 2012, 05:23 PM
Not as many as were required a month ago.

Good to hear :)

IanO
23rd January 2013, 02:39 PM
Thought I would resurrect this in light of what I saw at Sea Temple (sorry Palmer Sea Reef) on 1 January 2013.

My wife and I were coming down the 9th fairway when we saw an old guy (mid 60's) with his scruffy white dog. The dog is off lead and decides to chase the water birds around the lagoon to the left of the fairway. Two ducks fly across the lagoon and the dog jumps in and starts swimming across. He just gets into the lilly pads when there is a huge splash and the little dog is no longer there. (Chalk up one feed for the 3.5m croc)

The old guy says did you see that? I said yes, he says I can't believe it, my best mate is gone. Wife and I show sympathy but not much we can do.

I went into the pro shop at the halfway mark to let them know what happened. They tell me that they have been telling the old guy not to walk his dog on the golf course for years.

Note: Shows that the signs telling you not to chase your golf ball when it goes into the water is for a good reason

Shortylook
23rd January 2013, 02:49 PM
I've played at Harvey golf course and have seen 3 tiger snakes at three different holes. We kept clear of them and they just went across the fairway and into the bush. I lost a couple of balls that day in the heavy rough so I just went back and hit another. Cost of ball $2, cost of hospital trip only god knows lol

Courty
23rd January 2013, 03:47 PM
3.5m huh...is it permanently living in that pond ? If so is it getting to the size that it should be relocated ? Brett will confirm that it's been there for years.

IanO
23rd January 2013, 03:49 PM
I asked and was told that they won't move it because they are territorial and, if they move that one, a bigger nastier one might show up.

haysey
23rd January 2013, 05:27 PM
That'd be the one, Rich.

May have to dare bob to swim it next time we're there.

IanO
23rd January 2013, 05:30 PM
On the previous trip we were going up the 12th and my wife's ball trickled off the side and dissappeared into a lagoon. I walked towards it and found a 2.5m crocodile lying on the sand at the edge of the lagoon about a metre from where her ball went in. I took a photo of the croc as he dived into the water. She then took a drop, but about 15m away as I couldn't get her to go any closer than that to the water.

Dcanto
23rd January 2013, 06:21 PM
That'd be the one, Rich.

May have to dare bob to swim it next time we're there.

Pffftt. This is Queensland - all you have to do is follow this example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Xah1MBCAuw

Monsta
23rd January 2013, 09:37 PM
Hazarr

markTHEblake
23rd January 2013, 09:54 PM
Why is it safe to have a crocodile so close, they ain't sharks and they got legs. Or are they sneaky bastards and only go for something from under water?

Courty
23rd January 2013, 10:14 PM
That'd be the one, Rich.

Actually, no it's not. IanO said it was in the lagoon on the left side of the 9th. Bob's 'near miss' was on the right of the 10th. You know I'm right. :p

There are quite a few lagoons/ billabongs on the course where the crocs are known to frequent. BrettM might be able to confirm how many they know about.