PDA

View Full Version : Shinnecock Hills

Jarro
18th June 2004, 05:23 AM
What an awesome looking course :shock: I love the fact that if you don't put the ball in the fairway, you've got a hell of a hard time getting your par.

So far i've seen a lot of good looking approach shots roll off the front edge of the greens too, so it's playing pretty tough :x

looks like even par might even win this tournament :?

what do you guys think :?: too tough :?

McMw
18th June 2004, 08:28 AM
last night, the course played tuff...
but considering that it wasn't blowing...I'm afraid to consider just how much more worse it can get...

B-Open ruff isn't as thick as that... :roll:

Mark Brooks made a comment (pre-show) that golf is meant to be played forward - not sideways...couldn't agree more...

Fishman Dan
18th June 2004, 09:31 AM
Come on, after all that talk it's turned out to be a pussycat!! Turn on the sun, bring on the wind and then let's play some golf! ;) :twisted:

McMw
18th June 2004, 09:42 AM
I'll give the USGA credit...

for a sposed Links course - there were plenty on trees last night when I was watching the coverage, and I don't think I've seen the putting greens so GREEN before on a B-Open Course!!! :lol:

amanda
18th June 2004, 10:05 AM
for a sposed Links course - there were plenty on trees last night when I was watching the coverage, and I don't think I've seen the putting greens so GREEN before on a B-Open Course!!!

Mau - where did you see the trees? I watched this morning from 4am to the rain delay and saw only a few around the clubhouse.

I reckon the green is because of the wonders of TV! Allenby (or was it Appleby) was interviewed by someone from Ch 9 and he said that the greens looked really brown & dead.

McMw
18th June 2004, 10:08 AM
front nine....
defn not as many on the back tho...

Eag's
18th June 2004, 11:49 AM
Man I think one round on that monster would give me nightmares for 100 years :shock:
When you have the best in the world shooting scores like that :o
You are spot on jarro, I think even par will be spot on mate.

Iain
18th June 2004, 12:52 PM
In '86 Raymond Floyd won with -1 and 95 Corey Pavin won with Even, I believe it is the toughest venue for the US Open ever! So the previous 2 events 1 player was under par! :smt021 :smt014

While the rough is high I think a lot of players were getting good lies (The ball sitting up) so many could reach the green from the rough...

On another note, I didn't get up at 4am to watch Ken "The male model from Mudgee" Suttcliffe and IBF talk for 45mins each hour for the first two hours!!! :smt017 :smt019 :smt011 Why couldn't they just go straight to the live coverage? :smt023

mike
18th June 2004, 07:19 PM
Yep instaed of looking at trees or flowers or fountains I'd rather see a golfer looking for a ball in the rough or someone having a practise swing or a caddy cleaning clubs or Tiger picking his nose. Surely in these 'nature' breaks, somebody must be doing something !!!