PDA

View Full Version : Putter length

Hidepenny
29th August 2012, 07:30 AM
Hi all

I have a 35" Nike method putter that I always grip at the bottom of the grip, should I have it shortened? If so does anyone have any recommendation in the Melbourne eastern suburbs?

I'm 6 feet if that helps determine the length of a putter

Thanks!

razaar
29th August 2012, 07:51 AM
No, leave it at 35" unless it feels too heavy in the head when putting.

chappy1970
29th August 2012, 08:48 AM
Hidepenny, I can help to shorten it or lengthen it (I'm in Mlebourne). I have a shorter putter at home you can take out for a test run to see if a shorter length suits.

PM if you need help

dave1
29th August 2012, 09:18 AM
Be careful! It affects feel when you shorten it in my experience

Hidepenny
29th August 2012, 10:02 AM
After reading this http://puttingzone.com/MyTips/lengthlie.html
I do think I need it shortened as sometimes my elbows do stick outwards and sometimes my eyes are behind the ball

So if I shortened it would it feel the same as the stock 33" or I'd be better off getting a stock 33" instead?

timah!
29th August 2012, 10:38 AM
If you shorten it, you will need to add weight to the head to keep a similar feel etc...

wizard_of_oz
29th August 2012, 10:44 AM
After reading this http://puttingzone.com/MyTips/lengthlie.html
I do think I need it shortened as sometimes my elbows do stick outwards and sometimes my eyes are behind the ball

So if I shortened it would it feel the same as the stock 33" or I'd be better off getting a stock 33" instead?

Don't shorten it two inches long that is heaps. Even shortening a club by half an inch can feel drastically different. Have a feel with a 34 putter at a store and see if that feels more comfortable, if you can find exact model even better. It could also be lie angle.

dave1
29th August 2012, 11:55 AM
If you shorten it, you will need to add weight to the head to keep a similar feel etc...

Agree but then adding the right amount of weight is tricky sometimes.

Maybe one day we will see interchangeable shafts for putters

..I know some broom stick are adjustable but Im more thinking about changing shafts at the hosel like drivers/woods.

Puji
29th August 2012, 12:16 PM
When people talk about adding weight are they referring to adding lead tape to the club head itself?

Or can we add weight to the tip of the shaft with lead powder/ tip plugs?

chappy1970
29th August 2012, 12:42 PM
Either is effective Puji, just that one is easier and a little less permanent.

Hidepenny
29th August 2012, 02:52 PM
So is it effectively less hassle to buy a stock 33" instead modifying one?

wizard_of_oz
29th August 2012, 03:50 PM
So is it effectively less hassle to buy a stock 33" instead modifying one?

Cutting putter and re-gripping =$10. Buying a stock one =$$$$$$$$ so up to you. When the guys talk about headweights etc. it may not be something that bothers you and you don't need to readjust the weight necessarily. I've cut down on a couple of putters and can't tell the difference except that they fit me better, that's all because I've gripped down previously as well. Like I said, rather than destroy your putter, go hit a standard 34 and 33 inch one at the local pro shop.

chappy1970
29th August 2012, 03:52 PM
I agree with the Wiz, costs stuff i'll to get the putter cut down and it's clearly putter you like using.

If all else fails it can be extended again, I have done this recently.

PM me if you need help

Puji
29th August 2012, 03:57 PM
Interesting topic.

How about the weight distribution of the head? Specifically to the putter in question in this thread, Nike Claim to have redistributed 30g from behind the face with a lighter polymer so that it could be redistributed lower and more
Behind the face.

What happens to this engineering/ design when weight is added above the hosel? Or is it a moot point because it's not in the head itself?

I have a method 001. And had it cut down from 35" to 34". I even installed a jumbo GP crown grip which would have added weight t the grip end; further decreasing swing weight. Did I notice: barely. Does it make a difference to me: No.

Hidepenny
29th August 2012, 03:57 PM
I agree with the Wiz, costs stuff i'll to get the putter cut down and it's clearly putter you like using.

If all else fails it can be extended again, I have done this recently.

PM me if you need help

Thanks for the offer!

The biggest concern I have with that is the putter will no longer be in the original condition and might be harder to sell if I deduced to get the 33" version of it

Hm..... Decisions decisions