PDA

View Full Version : Week Commencing 10th October

Grunt
11th October 2005, 12:16 PM
Well I played Camden Lakeside this morning with some mates who are playing the regional final for the Holden Scramble there in a few weeks. They asked me to come because I had played it before and if I could give them some tips about how to play it. For those of you have played with me you may agree with my thinking that I could only show them where not to go.

I had one of my best games for some time today. 37 points 4 pars mostly bogies with 2 wipes all day. I haven't listened to you all about feeding myself throughout the round and really faltered on the last 2 holes with a 2, 1 point finish.

I played the par 4's pretty well using 3 wood off the tee a fair bit. I was hitting it straighter than normal too. I was allowing too much for the slice and couple of times & it wasn't there, I missed the fairway to the left :? , that is not right for me.

All is looking good for the Club Champs this weekend. :lol: I might leave the driver at home.

Flowergirl
12th October 2005, 07:49 AM
Well done Grant. :D And yes - leave the driver at home. No need to be a hero....if the swing is off a bit you're going to pay for it using the driver. Also - because you're debating the idea - it means you've got doubt in your mind - which is probably not a good thing for the Champs.
Good luck and enjoy. :wink:
To quote Rotella "Golf is not a game of perfect".

Courty
12th October 2005, 04:56 PM
Played in the arvo comp today with a mate who is a 4-marker. I birdied the first & the 9th and wiped the 3rd to scramble to 19 points. That was nowhere near good enough though, my mate towelled me up with 8 pars & an eagle. A long wait at the break didn't help the cause, and the oppresive start to summer drained us too much as we both stumbled to 15 on the back.

A good bit of news though, I don't think I mentioned last week that I won the 100 board last week (along with my playing partners). Well, I looked at the baord again today, and saw that I had won again. Woohoo! Two weeks in a row. :twisted:

AndyP
12th October 2005, 06:00 PM
I won the 100 board last week
The what?

Iain
12th October 2005, 06:51 PM
Played yesterday at Virginia, in a blue marker comp. First game for a couple of months, had a 89/75, Par 71 so 4 over which I was very happy with.

Was thinking about selling the RAC's, mainly because I haven't been playing much, so thought about going a bit more forgiving in irons, but the game has got me a bit keen again and I hit them quite well so I'll kepp them for the time being!!

Didn't really do anything poorly, everything average, just typical of my game... :roll:

Iain

Courty
12th October 2005, 08:57 PM
I won the 100 board last week
The what?

There is a board behind the bar divided into 100 squares. A square costs $5. When all the squares are sold, they draw a number at random, the winning square gets $400, and the club keeps $100. When most golfers have a bet on their match, it usually involves buying squares for the loser(s). Usually all 4 players in a group will get their names on a square, so if their number is drawn, each player gets $100. That is what happened to me: I won $100 two weeks in a row. :D

AndyP
13th October 2005, 07:20 AM
Aaaaahhhh, I know the one.  We've got one too.  Just never heard what it's called before, just the fact that we were playing for a square.

Grunt
13th October 2005, 03:23 PM
Played Camden this morning. Tried a few things in preparation for the Club Championships this weekend. Most didn't work! :(

28 points :? Pretty happy with that considering 6 wipes.

I ate and drank like everyone is saying to keep myself hydrated. I still faltered badly on 16,17 & 18.
I tried Trung's tip to combat my Out to In swing. Lost all consistency in my swing!!!
1 thing that was great was my up & down chipping, even with Camden's hard greens I was happy :lol: , not that they were stopping close, but they were getting up and down in a manner that will suit Mac Grange greens on Saturday.

I am in a bit of a confused state on the state of my game at the moment. I am hitting my irons as crisp as I have ever done but I am fighting the problem of not getting off the tee and into the fairway and having to play 2nd shots from the rough all the time. :oops:

And to top it off I popped into Mac Grange on the way home to find out my tee time for Saturday, to find out that I have been voted 2nd favourite for the C grade Championship, not sure if that is a good or bad thing. :roll:

BrisVegas
13th October 2005, 04:43 PM
I am hitting my irons as crisp as I have ever done but I am fighting the problem of not getting off the tee and into the fairway and having to play 2nd shots from the rough all the time. :oops:

All the more reason to take a shorter, punchier club off the tee. :wink: Sounds like you got the steeper, punch action grooved nicely at the moment. To hit driver well, you need completely the opposite, IMO.

Good luck in the champs. 8)

Flowergirl
13th October 2005, 07:50 PM
Well I"m happy to report that the Mitchell's survived their first outing playing in a mixed comp together. We started great with 23 points on the front nine - but then stumbled a bit on the back with two one points :( to finish with 18 points. Our respectable 41 points was 10 off the lead :shock: and not even enough to win us a ball in the ball comp.
The day was sunny and warm - we both got a bit burnt( I know - us fairskinned southerners)
The female in the winning team had one 5 pointer and three 4 pointers. Gee I would love to get 3 shots a hole :twisted: Handicaps of over 36 shouldn't be allowed should they :shock:

Pinglauncher
14th October 2005, 07:51 PM
Nathan "Ping Jnr" today played the NSW State School Championships at Port Kembla.

It blowed like a BITCH all day with pretty testing conditions. Dad is extremely proud to report that he lost the runner up nett event on a countback and broke his handicap by 5 shots with a net 67.

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038

Grunt
14th October 2005, 08:07 PM
Congrats Ping Jnr, Keep it up mate.

Grunt
15th October 2005, 01:03 PM
PLayed 1st round Champs this morning, played smart golf, had a few pars, was going really well turning in 44 but the slow play of the group ahead of me really got to me, they fell 3 holes behind, and my score suffered could have been at least 5 shots better.
Oh well I am leading C Grade with 92 gross and leading the C Grade nett with 68.

Lets see what tomorrow brings!

Flowergirl
15th October 2005, 01:36 PM
Well played Ping Jnr..and Ping Senr......ah - what a proud Dad. Good to see.
And Grant - leading C grade. Keep up the good work. :D

I played this morning - 6.30 tee time :shock: - third round of the Knockout Matchplay singles. This time at least I only had to give 1 shot instead of 14 like last week. We were even after the 14th - neither of us got to more than 1 up at any time before then. I won the next two, lost the next and won the last to win 2 up. Had a great game with a great opponent - we both played good solid golf.

Worst thing was I locked my keys the boot of my car. John has the spare - but he's down at Phillip Island for the motorbike GP.....not in RACV....locksmith was going to charge a fortune. Worst of all is I'm playing tomorrow - and my clubs are locked in the boot. :shock: I'm going to use John's clubs - don't know how that will go. :evil:

Courty
15th October 2005, 02:54 PM
I played early this morning. It was a 4BBB stroke, but we were a three. Both pairs ended up with 63 nett. I would have had about 80 (to handicap). The only real highlight was my bunker shot on the 2nd hole: one hop & in the side door for birdie! :D

oz
15th October 2005, 06:21 PM
Crap. Had 33 points today. Struck the ball solidly enough, but had 36 putts. It was a woeful display. Just couldn't get a good line and pace at all. To add insult to injury, I plunked one in the creek from the tee on a reachable par 5, making double in the process. There's always next week, I guess.....

BrisVegas
16th October 2005, 07:45 PM
from outta nowhere.....

41 points. +3 off the stick at Gailes today in the rain and mud...

10 fairways
7 GIR
28 putts

Had birdies on a couple of "shot" holes towards the end which got me back into the round. Made 3-4 putts over 5 feet for a change. Unfortunately, a few of them were after overly-aggressive lag putts!

New driver worked ok. Jury's out as to whether it's any longer than old faithful, as it was so wet today. Missed 1 to the right and 2 low left, but the rest were pretty decent.

Jarro
16th October 2005, 07:52 PM
nice shootin' Vegas.

great effort in the conditions :smt023

jimandr
16th October 2005, 07:58 PM
For the first time in a long time, I played genuine rain golf today. I had forgotten how unpleasant it can be to have wet hands, wet grips, wet towel, wet clothes, wet shoes, wet everything. Also, when it is raining hard, you rush everything.

I played better than I scored today for my 32 points. Missed six fairways, played those holes in 8 over. Penalised for every bad shot I hit.

Fairways = 8 of 14
Greens in reg = 5 of 18
Putts = 29 :) , 1 three putt, no birdies
Up and Down = 7 of 8 :) :) Mainly easy shots from just off the green, but still good.
Sand Saves = 1 of 2.

AndyP
16th October 2005, 08:14 PM
from outta nowhere.....

41 points. +3 off the stick at Gailes today in the rain and mud...
Do you think you could have shot this if it wasn't matchplay?
Or did the matchplay take the focus away from the total, and more on each hole?

BrisVegas
16th October 2005, 08:38 PM
from outta nowhere.....

41 points.  +3 off the stick at Gailes today in the rain and mud...
Do you think you could have shot this if it wasn't matchplay?
Or did the matchplay take the focus away from the total, and more on each hole?

Unlikely. I knew it would be a big ask to give damo 17 shots, so I really tried to make par on every hole, one hole at a time. That probably helped to keep focussed. I expected I'd have my usual blowouts, but they never really happened. I didn't expect damo to keep making bogeys though, so I really HAD to make pars.

Realistically, it came down to me having 28 putts, instead of my usual 33-34... :roll:

Trung
16th October 2005, 08:40 PM
welldone vegas on 41 points :shock: :P ...now stop being a cheat for the champs and get your hcp back down to 4/5 asap. :twisted:

Flowergirl
16th October 2005, 08:41 PM
Played in the Spring Tournament at Rosebud Country Club today. Runner up with 36 points and reduced my handicap to 19.5...........will I ever get past this 20 handicap. So close :shock:

As I reported yesterday - my clubs are still locked in my car boot so I played with Johns. I couldn't use his driver - so with all the discussion last week with Grant's do I use driver or not - I left it in the bag and stuck with the three wood off the tee. Lost a few meters but kept it on the fairway. I really think that having to use different clubs helped me cos I really focused on being positive on every swing - telling myself - hey - these clubs are great. :D

Gee - golflink is quick. Todays score is already in.

BrisVegas
16th October 2005, 08:42 PM
welldone vegas on 41 points  :shock:  :P ...now stop being a cheat for the champs and get your hcp back down to 4/5 asap.  :twisted:

no comp today, not enough starters, so the hcap stays where it is. I should be off 8 for the champs. :wink:

jaster
16th October 2005, 10:16 PM
Well played BV, whether it was the new driver or not you gotta be happy :smt023

jaster
16th October 2005, 10:17 PM
jimandr - 32 points is around 36 - 38 in the rain. Good playing 8)

Grunt
17th October 2005, 06:12 AM
Like Jim I also played in the rain in what would have been very simialr conditions, as the courses are only seperated by about 2km at best. Was great wasn't it Jim? :?
As I said in the club champs forum I shot a 96 gross for 71 nett. I was not happy with my finish but that may have been from the fact that I could not have got my gear any wetter. :roll:

Looking into my stats for the day;
Hit 8/12 Fairways 8)
40 Putts (I had at least 7 lip out) :(
3/18 GIR (not too good) :(
35 stab points if it were not a stroke event (just to see how I would have scored) :lol:

Pretty happy with my weekend of golf. I need to stop the fade finsih I am having lately though it is costing me heaps.

jaster
17th October 2005, 08:31 AM
Just stay patient Grunt...give it your best on the day, no-one can do anymore 8)

BrisVegas
17th October 2005, 01:17 PM
Played yesterday at Virginia, in a blue marker comp.  First game for a couple of months, had a 89/75, Par 71 so 4 over which I was very happy with.

Was thinking about selling the RAC's, mainly because I haven't been playing much, so thought about going a bit more forgiving in irons, but the game has got me a bit keen again and I hit them quite well so I'll kepp them for the time being!!

Missed this post. Great to see you playing again Iain. :) You should come good just in time for the champs again. :wink:

Good luck this weekend.

BrisVegas
17th October 2005, 01:21 PM
Played in the Spring Tournament at Rosebud Country Club today. Runner up with 36 points and reduced my handicap to 19.5...........will I ever get past this 20 handicap. So close :shock:

Come on Reenie!!!! :D :D You can do it!.

Flowergirl
17th October 2005, 02:00 PM

Come on Reenie!!!!  :D  :D   You can do it!.

Thanks BrisVegas.........I needed that encouragement :wink: Playing stableford on Wednesday in our comp. Cross everything for me. :D

miro
17th October 2005, 03:00 PM
Believe and you will achieve.

jaster
17th October 2005, 04:48 PM
Go get 'em FG....just imagine Jarro's head (not that one Trung :smt018) on the ball and you are a shoe in!!! 8)

Trung
17th October 2005, 04:56 PM
Go get 'em FG....just imagine Jarro's head (not that one Trung  :smt018) on the ball and you are a shoe in!!!  8)

Hey, what did I do? :smt017 [-X =; :smt019

jaster
17th October 2005, 05:21 PM
:wink: :lol:

Jarro
17th October 2005, 05:37 PM
bugger Trung :x ... what did I do :smt017

jaster
17th October 2005, 05:42 PM
No you've got it wrong jarro....I meant she could look at your head all day and play a blinder!! Just like me, G69 and Shavey did the other day :smt023

Jarro
17th October 2005, 05:47 PM
:lol: :lol:

yeah right :smt018

Trung
17th October 2005, 05:50 PM
Go get 'em FG....just imagine Jarro's head (not that one Trung  :smt018) on the ball and you are a shoe in!!!  8)
Hey, what did I do?   :smt017 [-X  =;  :smt019

bugger Trung :x ... what did I do :smt017

You with the ugly head, stop repeating what I said.. Don't tell me you got a dirty :smt061 head as well..

AndyP
17th October 2005, 07:45 PM
16/10/2005, Gailes GC, Social Round

I'm fairly happy with my round yesterday. Besides still having little control off the tee (even after leaving the driver at home), and having no warmup before the round, I felt that I was hitting the irons pretty well, and created a few birdie chances. Putting was good, chipping improved, and even had a couple of sand saves (very rare).

6 pars.
5 bogeys.
5 doubles.
2 others.

Score 27pts stab. 50-45-95 (Par 36-37-73)
[New swing h/cap has dropped from 26 to 24 with 41 points ;)]

Flowergirl
17th October 2005, 08:51 PM
Hey Andyp...........24 handicap now...hey way to go. You'll be down in the teens in no time. Keep up the good work. :D :wink:

But really.............what's happened to you AndyP. You were starring mid year. Breaking that handicap all over the place. Seems that since your visit down south the game has stayed down south. Gee - I didn't think all my bad habits would have rubbed off onto you after only one game. :shock:

Get your act together boy------you're better than 27 points. You've got a great swing and intelligent attitude to the game. :D :wink:
( this is meant as encouragement not critisism)

AndyP
18th October 2005, 05:56 AM
Hey Andyp...........24 handicap now...hey way to go. You'll be down in the teens in no time. Keep up the good work. :D :wink:

But really.............what's happened to you AndyP. You were starring mid year. Breaking that handicap all over the place. Seems that since your visit down south the game has stayed down south. Gee - I didn't think all my bad habits would have rubbed off onto you after only one game. :shock:

Get your act together boy------you're better than 27 points. You've got a great swing and intelligent attitude to the game. :D :wink:
( this is meant as encouragement not critisism)
The Moonah Links round was probably the best round I played while I was down south, so it was a misleading indication of my form.

I've just changed my grip/stance/posture/swing to hopefully be more consistent, so I don't expect to be playing to my handicap of 12 until I am used to the changes.
Don't worry, FG, I'll be back. (Just might be a little while)

McMw
18th October 2005, 11:06 AM
home course is being cored, and parts of the greens have been ripped up (dead grass)...so imagine putting the the moon surface...craters everywhere...

think I went 40/43/41 during the week, then a 78 or a 77 on the Saturday...

played KGM again on Sunday (5th game in 3 weeks there) shot an 82 with some really crappy putting (despite only taking 27 putts)...
OOBs once after hitting wat was my best tee shot - damn the wind!!!
Water once after a brain-fart with club selection on the short 12th... :(

using the Wilson Fi5 irons for the 2nd time for 18holes, so can't really complain...

Flowergirl
19th October 2005, 07:34 PM
Stableford today in beautiful warm sunshine ( but it raining now)
18 points on the front and 20 points on the back. I was happy with how I played - even though I stuffed up the two easiest par 3's on the course.

CCR - 38 points :shock: After last week's CCR of 66 ( I had 66) I'm starting to think I gotta change my name to CCR :shock:
Still on 19.5..........bugger!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Playing tomorrow in the local Police Charity P**ss up Day. Should be fun.
Then playing Friday in a teams event - then next round of matchplay on Sunday. Gee it's tough being your own boss. :D

Courty
19th October 2005, 09:06 PM
Played this afternoon in a 4BBB Stableford. My partner (3 handicap) and I scored 43 points. Pretty sad for a 4BBB. Our opposition scored 44, yet we still beat them in our bet by 10 units :shock: .
I played reasonably well today. Had many, many birdie opportunities, but only managed to make 1 :oops: :roll: .
My playing partner has to be the longest hitter in the club, if not the region. He hit several monsters today. On the first hole (307m par 4 with a slight dogleg left) he drove it through the green :shock: . Another one was the 355m par 4 16th (straight but with a lake down the right side extending to about 90m out). His drive carried the lake easily and finished only 30m short of the green :smt119 , and that was INTO the wind. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll have what he's having... :?

mike
20th October 2005, 09:28 PM
Man that's some serious big hitting. :shock:

Played my second pennants match last Sunday.

It was all pretty level until my opponent chipped in for a birdie on 9 and then won the next 2 with great pars while I was knocking my ball out from behind trees.

I went from all square to 3 down in the blink of an eye. :evil:

Fought back to be 1 down after 16, and then lost 17.

Bugger.