PDA

View Full Version : damoocow's overseas accomodation help thread

damoocow
26th August 2012, 10:52 AM
Finally pulled my finger out and am going to the Isle of Man for the TT next year - flights, accomodation on the IOM and m/cycle hire all sorted- while over in the UK will do London and Edinburgh and maybe a game of golf - has anyone on ozgolf played the Old Course at St Andrews?

UK part of trip will be solo - daughter is flying over after that and we are doing Europe together by train.
If you've stayed in any of these places and can recommend hotels/hostels etc then your info will be gratefully received...

London
Edinburgh
Paris
Lauterbrunnen
Florence
Venice
Innsbruck
Heidelberg
Frankfurt

mike
26th August 2012, 11:12 AM
Damo my previous Edinburgh recommendation still stands. Ideal location and great staff.
While in Paris we stayed 4 nights in a two room apartment in St Michel and later on a night in a hotel over near Luxembourg Gardens. Both were fantastic. I'll pm you the details next week. In Sydney atm.

AndyP
26th August 2012, 11:53 AM
BrisVegas is the only one that comes to mind that has played the Old course.

BenM
26th August 2012, 12:17 PM
We stayed at the Royal Horseguards (http://www.guoman.com/en/hotels/united_kingdom/london/the_royal_horseguards/index.html") in London and will probably stay there again next year. It is pricey but it's 5 star and very very posh... About 5 minutes walk to Trafalgar Square, the Strand, Embankment tube station is virtually over the road and Charing Cross tube station is just up on the Strand as well. I guess it really depends what you want to do while you're there but we found it fantastic to be so central to everything - as you probably know public transport in London is pretty damn good anyway but when you have lots to see it's nice to be close.

There is another hotel in the same area called Citadines which also looked okay, a mate stayed there and said it was good, but his standards might be different than mine.

Went to Edinburgh as well - stayed at the Jury's Inn, and wouldn't recommend it, it was like a cheap motel, threadbare linen and it wasn't even cheap - it was the height of festival season though so the rates were probably jacked up to buggery.

My wife tells me our travel agent has recommended the George Hotel (http://www.thegeorgehoteledinburgh.co.uk/) for next time we go to Edinburgh, so that might be worth a look.

I'm not sure how much you've travelled through the UK but let us know if there's anything else you want to know. We did a LOT of research and fitted heaps into 3 weeks there, next year we're heading back and will spend some time in Europe as well (wife is super keen to see Venice) so you might be able to return the favour.

dc68
26th August 2012, 01:49 PM
I've played the Old Course and the New Course at St Andrews. With the OC it operates on a ballot system where you put your name down and if you ate lucky enough you get a spot you "own" that tee time. You can choose to allow others into you group if you wish. If you miss out on the ballot as I did you turn up at the starter and ask him to check whether anyone would let you join them. If you go to St A and don't play you will kick yourself. I didn't when I first went but was lucky enough to go back the next year and get the chance to play.

Peter
26th August 2012, 03:07 PM
How much are you looking to spend on accommodation Damo?

damoocow
26th August 2012, 03:19 PM
Damo my previous Edinburgh recommendation still stands. Ideal location and great staff.
While in Paris we stayed 4 nights in a two room apartment in St Michel and later on a night in a hotel over near Luxembourg Gardens. Both were fantastic. I'll pm you the details next week. In Sydney atm.

Correct - forgot about that - was it Castle View?

damoocow
26th August 2012, 03:23 PM
How much are you looking to spend on accommodation Damo?

Hoping to pay no more than 150 pn twin share but haven't really set a budget for accom.
Most likely will book through hotels.com as I kow a few people who have used it and give it a thumbs up.
I think the London part [3 days single and then 3 /4 days twin when my daughter comes over will be pricey] but haven't really had a good look yet.

PerryGroves
26th August 2012, 03:32 PM
If you have narrowed down a hotel, this site http://www.tripadvisor.com/ will give you other travellers thoughts. Usual disclaimer, not all the reviews will be truthful but you do get a good feel usually. What about renting an apartment for the week in London.? Hotels will be expensive (West End) or divey around Bayswater. Stay around Nth London, city fringes (inner east end), Islington, get yourself an Oyster card for ease of travel.

mike
26th August 2012, 11:10 PM
Correct - forgot about that - was it Castle View? Yep that's the one. My missus used booking.com

mike
26th August 2012, 11:11 PM
Agree perry, tripadvisor is very good. Plenty of research damo. Makes your trip more enjoyable.

markTHEblake
27th August 2012, 12:08 AM
Old hippies usually stay at the YHA

shavey
27th August 2012, 08:59 AM
Most likely will book through hotels.com as I kow a few people who have used it and give it a thumbs up.

One and all, use these third party sites like you would webjet to narrow down the best options. Always go direct to the hotel brand website for the best available rate and added flexibility of cancellation, change details etc. Appreciated this may not be available to the smaller operations but it's a given for all the major brands. The 3rd parties are paid a commission which is why their rates are slightly higher.

Damo, do a search for my family and friends link for IHG as you'll get some very good rates overseas as it's based on a percentage off the retail which are more realistic compared to Oz.

damoocow
27th August 2012, 11:27 AM
One and all, use these third party sites like you would webjet to narrow down the best options. Always go direct to the hotel brand website for the best available rate and added flexibility of cancellation, change details etc. Appreciated this may not be available to the smaller operations but it's a given for all the major brands. The 3rd parties are paid a commission which is why their rates are slightly higher.

Damo, do a search for my family and friends link for IHG as you'll get some very good rates overseas as it's based on a percentage off the retail which are more realistic compared to Oz.

Thanks Shavey - had a look at the IHG site. Got no idea where on ozgolf the family and friends stuff is - I do recall you posting it somewhere though...

BrisVegas
27th August 2012, 12:58 PM
damo - I stayed at The Spindrift B&B in Anstruther, a short drive from St Andrews. Excellent fish and chips in town.

http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/bedandbreakfast/bedandbreakfast.cfm/searchazref/70001730SPIA

As dc68 said, I got a game as a walkup, albeit I got there at 3:30am to give myself the best chance. I was 3rd in line, but got a game in the ffirst group off at 7am when that group cancelled.

This was 2001 though, so things may have changed now. there are so many wonderful golf courses around there. I also played Crail golf Links, which is on the easternmost point of Scotland and is pretty authentic "links" golf.

Kingsbarns is worth a look too, albeit pricey.

AndyP
27th August 2012, 02:27 PM
Shavey's thread:
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/12686-Family-and-Friends-accommodation-rates-updated-again