PDA

View Full Version : Socceroos World Cup Qualifier ! ******AUS vs Uruguay******

Trung
9th October 2005, 09:52 PM
We wont know the 5th place South American till Oct 12th. Ticket sales for the Sydney game on sale Oct 19th. There better be tickets left for me...

:D

mike
9th October 2005, 11:18 PM
I don't care about the soccer , but is that avatar allowed ?

:shock:

3oneday
10th October 2005, 04:21 AM
but is that avatar allowed ? :shock:
probably not.....

Got your tissue supplies ready Trung ??? :wink:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

AndyP
10th October 2005, 07:51 AM
Either Uruguay, Columbia or Chile for the 5th spot, isn't it?

Good to see the Socceroos have a big win over Jamaica last night too.

Jarro
10th October 2005, 07:54 AM
good to see the Aussies qualify ..... but like Pete saud earlier, get the tissues ready Trung :cry:

Courty
10th October 2005, 08:44 AM
Although as the Germans often prove...sometimes sexy football aint enough. :wink:

Germans are sexy? :? :-k

Jarro
10th October 2005, 08:48 AM
just the thought of someone thinking MALE soccer is sexy is just plain sick :smt078

Jarro
10th October 2005, 09:06 AM
sorry D1cky, can't say i find anything remotely sexy about soccer :roll:

Trung
10th October 2005, 09:10 AM
can't say i find anything remotely sexy about soccer  :roll:

change soccer for srixon

Jarro
10th October 2005, 09:22 AM
Trung

soccer = GAY :smt061

Trung
10th October 2005, 09:26 AM
Srixon = GAY men's clubs. :smt061

Jarro
10th October 2005, 09:28 AM
this could get really ugly ................

Trung
10th October 2005, 09:34 AM
G69,

I will have 4 tickets pleaseeeeeeeeee :D .

Try for the cheap Category C tickets at $65
if no more left, go for the Category B at $95

How do you like to be paid? Do you want to use my credit card to pay for it? etc etc... I can pick up ticket from a ticketek office near my office.

buy ticket from here --> http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=WORLDCUP05&searchId=76510b2d-0a6d-4d3e-b7db-35f086f36712

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8908/stadiumaus1hb.gif

Trung
10th October 2005, 09:36 AM
this could get really ugly ................
:smt014 :smt062 :smt075 :smt084 :smt093

:smt003

Courty
10th October 2005, 09:38 AM
Moderator! :wink:

Jarro
10th October 2005, 09:42 AM
Moderator!  :wink:

yes my son, how can i help you :?: :wink:

Courty
10th October 2005, 09:46 AM
Moderator!  :wink:

yes my son, how can i help you  :?:  :wink:

:roll:  #-o  ](*,) :wink:

Trung
10th October 2005, 09:46 AM

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Don't remind me of that match with Iran at Melbourne :oops: .

Jarro
10th October 2005, 09:47 AM

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Don't remind me of that match with Iran at Melbourne  :oops: .

they should never have lost that game Trung :oops:

Trung
10th October 2005, 09:48 AM
get the tissues ready Trung :cry:

shudup.. you are weak.. the weakest link...   :?

Aussies are going to Germany, and hopefully I can make the trip as well.  :idea:  8)  :D

ps...if they lose this match, i'm going to call them the shockeroos. Please don't make me do it..  :idea:

jaster
10th October 2005, 10:13 AM
I watched the full game last night, easily the most promising game I have ever watched the Socceroos play since they beat France all those years ago :wink: Ball distribution was great and IMO Thwaite looks like he could be just what they need down the right side, very impressive debut.

Gus could be the missing link for us 8)

Let 's hope we get a chance to play Uruguay (or as Homer J Simpson says..look at this country, U R Gay HAHAHAHH) again I say!!! :P

Jarro
10th October 2005, 12:30 PM
Ball distribution was great
...in other words..SEXY FOOTBALL !  :lol:

only if you like balls :smt061

peter_rs
10th October 2005, 12:47 PM
It hurts to say but unless the other side does not show up, we wont get to the big game.

Jaster what you watched last night was the best the team has played for a while but its no where near the game needed for a world cup.

To make the World Cup would require more skill and passion, and team work- team work is the big issuse.  Australia soccer has been static for too long.  The world game is fast and free following (Like strikers are trying to play). Thwaite is a good player and can only get better his background is in futsal and it shows.

Don't get me wrong I hope Australia win but they have to learn to much.

Trung
10th October 2005, 01:36 PM
THANK YOU GOLFER69....

got 6 tickets on the main stand..  :D

Jarro
10th October 2005, 01:40 PM
hope you have a great time Trungie 8)

jaster
10th October 2005, 02:30 PM
Any spare's Trungie?? Hahah... I wish :(

jaster
10th October 2005, 02:31 PM
It hurts to say but unless the other side does not show up, we wont get to the big game.

Jaster what you watched last night was the best the team has played for a while but its no where near the game needed for a world cup.

To make the World Cup would require more skill and passion, and team work- team work is the big issuse. Australia soccer has been static for too long. The world game is fast and free following (Like strikers are trying to play). Thwaite is a good player and can only get better his background is in futsal and it shows.

Don't get me wrong I hope Australia win but they have to learn to much.

I feel the same Peter...when they make it I'll be the happiest man around but until then I'll always be a "Monday's Expert" :)

peter_rs
10th October 2005, 02:50 PM
Jaster I'm not a monday expert I can tell you right now the way the team will have to play. Unlike golf I have been involed in soccer and futsal for 20+ years at all levels up to nationial teams, so I know my shit. I believe the soccer mind set of australia/European coaches will never get us to the world cup we need a Brizilian Coach that will put player egos in place and teach them the passion and team skills and game style required.

That wont happen so direct entry is the only real chance... or hosting a world cup. :wink:

jaster
10th October 2005, 06:28 PM
I was more referring to the Australian public (me included) than anyone in particular Pete. Every always has an opinion, problem is Australia keeps losing the games they need to win :(

jaster
10th October 2005, 06:47 PM
:shock:

Trung
13th October 2005, 11:45 AM
Uruguay 1 - Argentina 0 at Montevideo

Australia will be playing Uraguay for a spot in Germany. :shock:

AndyP
13th October 2005, 11:46 AM
Here we go again.

Hopefully a reversal of four years ago. [-o<

Jarro
13th October 2005, 11:46 AM
:smt015

Trung
13th October 2005, 11:47 AM
:smt015 :smt018

Jarro
13th October 2005, 12:01 PM
:smt015  :smt018

sorry mate, that's not exactly how i was feeling

:smt078

CobraSS
13th October 2005, 12:35 PM
I thought there was still another game to go. Colombia also won which means their still alive.
Chile drew so I think they're gone.

nope done and dusted we play Uruguay

McMw
13th October 2005, 03:19 PM
Aus vs Ura AGAIN??? :roll:

don't really follow soccer tat much, but I tot they were grouping Aus with the oceania group...or was that just talk?!?!?

AndyP
13th October 2005, 03:26 PM
Aus vs Ura AGAIN???  :roll:

don't really follow soccer tat much, but I tot they were grouping Aus with the oceania group...or was that just talk?!?!?
Australia are in the Oceania group, which gets 0.5 of a World Cup spot, that is, a play off against the 5th South American nation (they get 4.5 spots).

For the next World Cup qualification they should be in the Asian group (I think they get 4.5 spots too).

goughy
13th October 2005, 05:31 PM

I thought they did give a full spot to the oceania group then later pulled it. Were some pretty pissed people when that happened.

Bruce
13th October 2005, 06:30 PM

I thought they did give a full spot to the oceania group then later pulled it. Were some pretty pissed people when that happened.

There's no way Oceania deserves a full spot. That would give a guranteed place to us with the Kiwis a potential upset. Asia would be a better spot for us and would make us earn it.

Trung
13th October 2005, 10:00 PM

I thought they did give a full spot to the oceania group then later pulled it.  Were some pretty pissed people when that happened.

Even World Cup title holder must qualify for the following WC. I see no reason why FIFA should give Oceania (Australia) a full spot. The ex. FIFA boss did it for the Oceania vote.

Current allocation.
Asia 4.5
Oceania 0.5
South America 4.5

2006WC. Oceania to play off with 5th placed S.American team for one spot.

For the 2010 WC, Oceania will be grouped with Asia to make up 5 full spots. This will have more impact on Australian soccer as we will be able to see more games with better opponents during the round robin matches.

drunken
14th October 2005, 10:00 AM

I thought they did give a full spot to the oceania group then later pulled it.  Were some pretty pissed people when that happened.

Even World Cup title holder must qualify for the following WC. I see no reason why FIFA should give Oceania (Australia) a full spot. The ex. FIFA boss did it for the Oceania vote.

Current allocation.
Asia 4.5
Oceania 0.5
South America 4.5

2006WC. Oceania to play off with 5th placed S.American team for one spot.

For the 2010 WC, Oceania will be grouped with Asia to make up 5 full spots. This will have more impact on Australian soccer as we will be able to see more games with better opponents during the round robin matches.

Trungy are you sure? I thought the deal was that Australia & Aus only will be in the Asia group. Oceania will still have the half a place like previous years, so it will most probably be the Kiwis playing the South American team in 4 years time.

I could be talking out my arse here but I'm sure thats what was happening.

AndyP
14th October 2005, 10:27 AM
I didn't know that all of Oceania had been accepted into Asia, but it sure makes sense.
I did hear that Aust & NZ were accepted into Asia, and was wondering what the hell was going to happen to the other countries, like the Solomon Islands. I seriously doubt these nations would get 0.5 chance for themselves.

Trung
14th October 2005, 10:38 AM
correction.. when I wrote "Oceania, I meant Australia" 8)

Australia to play in the Asian group for the 2010 WC, I believe NZ is also looking (or already been accepted) to join the Asian group.

There is no more 0.5 of a spot for Oceania.. It's good bye and good luck to PNG, Solomons the all the other islanders. They will try and qualify for the rugby WC instead. Those guys are big, better off with rugby 8) .

Trung
6th November 2005, 05:17 PM
Hey Trungy, hows this....

Heading to Malaysia next Sunday morning..flight at 10:00am, as the kickoff for game 1 is 9:30am..doh !

Heading home Wednesday evening 9:30pm...kickoff for game 2 about 6:30...double doh !

:shock: You have international roaming? I will text you the score at the end of each match 8).

You could watch the second match if they are showing it over there.... Kick off is at 8pm Sydney time = 4pm Malaysian time...... 8)

Virgal_Tracy
7th November 2005, 09:22 AM
Latest news. Uri's charter flight cancelled so they now want the FFA to allow them to bring the game time forward so they can catch a commercial flight.

After they initially put the game time back so Australia couldn't catch a charter flight out they deserve everything they get.

Go you socceroos

Trung
7th November 2005, 01:15 PM
Switch veto
By TOM SMITHIES

November 07, 2005

AUSTRALIA were last night tightening the psychological thumbscrews on Uruguay, with the Football Federation poised to reject the South Americans' desperate plea to bring next weekend's first playoff forward by four hours.

The original scheduling of the kickoff for 9pm local time, forcing Australia to charter a Qantas jet to get the players back after the game, has blown up in Uruguay's faces after their own pre-booked charter fell through. Australia will fly out of Montevideo shortly after the game and arrive back in Sydney early on Monday, mirroring Uruguay's original charter plans. But now, unless the FFA changes its mind or another charter jet becomes available, the South Americans will have to take the first available commercial flight. That is not until the day after the game, flying via Santiago, and will land in Sydney about 7am local time on the Tuesday – just 36 hours before the second playoff.

Last night, as the Socceroos began to assemble in Buenos Aires for five days of preparation and tension levels mounted, sources within the camp said it was almost certain Australia would decline the request. Uruguay contacted FIFA on Saturday to ask for the switch, a plea that was immediately forwarded to the FFA. While no formal decision had last night been confirmed, Australian sources said the preceding episodes of diplomatic jousting meant Australia saw no need to help Uruguay out.

From the outset relations have been strained. Uruguay first delayed a decision on the original kickoff time then plumped for 9pm, while Australia refused a request to move the first game forward a day, and FFA chief executive John O'Neill publicly warned Uruguay not to attempt any dirty tricks. Uruguay were also unhappy with FIFA's choice of European referees and the absence of any Spanish-speaking officials. On Saturday it was confirmed by FIFA the Belgian officials scheduled to control the second game in Sydney had been switched to another playoff.

They have been replaced in Sydney by a Spanish trio headed by Luis Medina Cantalejo. The 31-year-old is no stranger to controversy – he was the referee who last month sent off David Beckham during the England versus Austria group qualifier. The fervent atmosphere surrounding the game next weekend was further emphasised when the Australian government warned any of this country's citizens in Montevideo to keep a very low profile.

In an updated travel advisory note, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said: "Australians travelling to Uruguay for the World Cup qualifier on November 13 are advised to be alert to their own security and avoid any disturbances or offensive behaviour, particularly in or near the stadium on match day."

After the first game between the teams in 2001, which Australia had won 1-0 in Melbourne, fans in Uruguay rampaged through the streets, burning cars and wrecking shops. After the Socceroos' well-documented abusive reception at Montevideo airport, they lost the second leg 3-0 – sending Uruguay to the World Cup and, four years on, providing the tumultous backdrop to this month's repeat.

Trung
12th November 2005, 01:21 AM
new kick off time is a 7am

Fishman Dan
12th November 2005, 07:34 AM
Well.... in all seriousness... what chance the Aussies?

I give them a sniff. $5 at the TAB.

The one thing i don't like is the talk by the players of "Perhaps snaring an away goal". Tends to make you think if they score they'll shut up shop.

Jarro
12th November 2005, 02:59 PM
3 - 0 to the south americans.

Ona
12th November 2005, 03:00 PM
we have a winning record over the 'Gays right?

Bruce
12th November 2005, 04:02 PM
we have a winning record over the 'Gays right?

I just heard on the radio that Uruguay have never lost a world cup qualifier game at home. That includes hosting powerhouses like Brazil and Argentina.

Draw is all they would be hoping for I think.

Trung
13th November 2005, 08:04 AM
Our boys got away with it in the final 20 mins... The left side defence got hammered in the second half.

1-0 is not a bad result. Bring on Wednesday..  8)

Ona
13th November 2005, 09:03 AM
If we can have all the run in a half and not score at all today, how can we manage it on wednesday if they're playing real defensive?

terryand
13th November 2005, 09:24 AM
What happens if we win 1-0 :smt102 does it go to a shoot out.

Terry.

Trung
13th November 2005, 10:20 AM
an extra 30 mins and then penalty shootout

Fishman Dan
13th November 2005, 11:50 AM
2nd best possible result for us. Australian's just aren't good enough at taking those 1/2 opportunities.

Fishman Dan
13th November 2005, 02:53 PM
They seemed to get tired towards the end of either half.

We went to Urugay 4 years ago 1-0 up.... omen?

Jarro
13th November 2005, 03:02 PM
the Aussies looked totally outclassed. The South Americans looked to have another gear or two they could have stepped up if needed, wheras our boys were pretty much playing on all cylinders.

we're in trouble.

McMw
13th November 2005, 10:51 PM
why should this year be any different - they'll choke!!! sad to say... :( :( :(

Jarro
14th November 2005, 06:11 AM
think you might be right Mau :roll:

AndyP
14th November 2005, 09:08 AM
Although it is considered a good result (would have been nice to convert opportunities), there is going to be a hell of a lot of pressure to get a two goal break on Wednesday.

Fishman Dan
14th November 2005, 10:08 PM
1 goal to them and we're in deep do-do.

Although we got a QANTAS jet with massage tables and 80 kg's of ice. The U-r-gayans took economy via Chile.

Hey, we'll take any advantage.

Virgal_Tracy
15th November 2005, 08:45 AM
I personally think we can get the 2 goals but I don't think we'll be able to hold them goalless. I know they are bad travellers but we need to create more chances before even having a chance of scoring. Bresciano must play.

My team would be Schwarzer, Vidmar, Popovic, Grella, Chipperfield, Culina, Cahill, Bresciano, Kewell, Viduka, Aloisi.

I think playing grella in the stopper roleadds some defensive steel which Neil didn't show plus that back header of his to gift the ball to recoba was nightmarish and fortunately didn't give the Uri's a 2nd.

No choice but to attack sensibly.

Ducky
15th November 2005, 11:02 AM
Have they even scored two goals throughout the history of the side, let alone in one game?

Fishman Dan
15th November 2005, 06:50 PM
Have they even scored two goals throughout the history of the side, let alone in one game?

Farina isn't there anymore. I rate this new coach, he's got them playing differently than normal. Although he wasn't too chuffed with how we played in the first game.

So if they improve the use of the ball, and have it for 55% of the game again, we're a big chance.

Trung
15th November 2005, 08:01 PM
bring it on.. i can't wait... :P

Trung
15th November 2005, 08:26 PM
8pm NSW time

Grunt
16th November 2005, 07:52 PM
1-0 Halftime Bring it on boys.

Jarro
16th November 2005, 07:58 PM
god they are all a lot of pansies :x

have you ever seen so many cheap shots, and blokes rolling on the ground crying after they've been tapped by an opposition player :roll:

saying that .... GO AUSSIES 8)

Grunt
16th November 2005, 08:01 PM
Did you see the uraguaian guy on the ground sneaking peeks to see what was going on? Funniest thing I have seen on the sports feild for ages.

Jarro
16th November 2005, 08:05 PM
happens all the time in soccer doesn't it Grant :roll:

Grunt
16th November 2005, 08:06 PM
I hardly watch it being an ex league player but as a sports freak this is a moment that people will never forget if we make it.

Courty
16th November 2005, 09:18 PM
Did you see the uraguaian guy on the ground sneaking peeks to see what was going on? Funniest thing I have seen on the sports feild for ages.

Saw that. What a pisser!
I remembered tonight why I haven't watched any soccer since the last world cup. I get so frustrated by all the diving & whining!

Grunt
16th November 2005, 09:48 PM
We made it!!!!

AndyP
16th November 2005, 09:52 PM
What a ****ing fantastic sporting moment to witness.

Great stuff, Socceroos.

Flowergirl
16th November 2005, 09:54 PM
Shhhhhhhhhhh...don't say what the result is to the Queenslanders.they don't know about it yet!!!
See - I'm learning G69 :wink:

Grunt
16th November 2005, 09:54 PM
And trungy boy was there in the flesh

terryand
16th November 2005, 09:56 PM
Loved one of the Aussies comments about them(Uruguay)going into the kitchen to make humble pie,because now some of them are going to have to eat it :lol:

Terry.

Jarro
16th November 2005, 09:57 PM
great win to the Socceroos ... they were easily the better team tonight 8)

AndyP
16th November 2005, 09:58 PM
Loved one of the Aussies comments about them(Uruguay)going into the kitchen to make humble pie,because now some of them are going to have to eat it :lol:
Was that about Uruguay OR the media and people like peter_rs?

Courty
16th November 2005, 09:58 PM
WOOHOO!!!

Pinglauncher
16th November 2005, 10:00 PM
I'm still shaking, that was just unbelievable.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE

jaster
16th November 2005, 10:08 PM
:shock: Unbelievable!!!!

shavey
16th November 2005, 10:10 PM
You little beauty!!!

Ducky
16th November 2005, 10:19 PM
What was the final score? Looks like I will stay up to watch Sports Tonight.

Ona
16th November 2005, 10:32 PM
YOU LITTLE RIPPA!

Trung
16th November 2005, 11:27 PM
I WAS THERE..
Bay 624, Row 43, Seat No. 43 and I have lost my voice.

ps, I would like to thank G69 for your help with the tickets...

Jono
16th November 2005, 11:53 PM
I WAS THERE..
Bay 624, Row 43, Seat No. 43 and I have lost my voice.

ps, I would like to thank G69 for your help with the tickets...

Awesome, mate. 8)

I remember going to watch the Korea vs Italy match in 2002 ... No, not actually in Korea, but in a bar in Sydney. Massive celebration down George St after the game. Came to work next day without my voice ... :lol:

I know he has done a lot already, but I hope Gus can do his magic and take Australia as far as he took the Korean team in 2002.

Fishman Dan
17th November 2005, 06:45 AM

Terry.

Might be their last supper too!

Bloody little bewdy!!! Awesome. Was at the pub and the atmosphere was electric. The noise when the first goal was scored was incredible, tables went over, glasses smashed.

Geez i hate penalties, sitting through that was sheer hell. And Viduka's shank!!!

Mark Schwarzer for PM!!!!

Virgal_Tracy
17th November 2005, 07:52 AM
Other than the victory, best sight was seeing Alvaro "divine right to qualify" Recoba pulled from the field and sulking up the tunnel.

Harry had an awesome game and we can be thankful for his shank shot / pass to Bresciano.

How many Uruguayans do you think will go home? Would not like to be them the next time they step into the country. Shades of the Colombian shot after the own goal in the US

Courty
17th November 2005, 08:14 AM
May the Schwarz be with you!

peter_rs
17th November 2005, 08:37 AM
Well done to the boys. AP I always said I hoped they would win (black drink in hand and tv on full) but said unless someone had a great game and played with heart they would fall short, and people did stand up when needed.

It was a very close game. & Australia got lucky that the 3 best kicker for the other team were off at the end, the joys of soccer. Guys on both sides were lucky they didn't get sent off with some of the tackles & acting. Say what you want but an Australia was the only one who got booked for acting.

Mark Schwarzer had an average game but stepped up when required. The life of a keeper in a shot out. Nothing to lose and everything to gain. He misses it and Oh well it was a good shot, he saves it and he is a hero.

They just picked up $100,000 each from football australia for making the world cup.

If we are to show at the world cup we have to work on set plays as nothing worked last night. and we need a new left back... chipper gives to many frees away that will kill you when the worlds best are over the ball.

WHAT ABOUT THE NOISE

AND YOU NEED LUCK

AndyP
17th November 2005, 08:43 AM
Australia got lucky that the 3 best kicker for the other team were off at the end, the joys of soccer.  
Luck?
They were substituted off. Isn't that part of coaching and tactics?

It seems that Trung is a Socceroo optimist, while you are a pessimist. Even your post then had very little positives.

Courty
17th November 2005, 08:46 AM
They just picked up $100,000 each from football australia for making the world cup.

They said on the Today Show this morning that Australian Soccer will get 7-10 million buckarooneys for qualifying! That should be a great shot in the arm that will propel soccer in this country onto bigger & better things. The future is looking very rosy indeed. Hopefully the NBL will learn something from this

Virgal_Tracy
17th November 2005, 08:56 AM
Again congrats to the boys. Have to disagree with Peter, I didn't think our problem was chipper down the left but rather Emerton down the right. His control was average at best and he gave away a lot of ball because he couldn't keep it close. Also has this high opinion of his shot by constantly trying from 25 out.

He is more a goal poacher, but is very hard to play that role playing so deep.

Lots of the boys stood tall and played above themselves.

Lots of people say Harry is the best player Australia has ever produced but I'd rather Bresciano in my team, but that is only if i couldn't have the 2 of them.

Trung
Trungy...I was in my lounge chair saying over and over...I should have been there...I should have been there...

Now...who's coming to Germany ?

I gave you a call so you can listen in to the atmosphere. I could hardly hear you.. :lol:

andylo
YEEEE HAAAA!!!! :D

So happy that Australia win the qualifier! Very very happy... (especially when all the mates around you decided to support something else!)

Its a good morning and I am one happy person

:D :D :D :D :D

Trung
17th November 2005, 09:09 AM
It seems that Trung is a Socceroo optimist, while you are a pessimist.  Even your post then had very little positives.

Thanks AP... as a Roos supporter, I have been through so much pain in the past, last night was just pure brilliant.

ps... how do I get to Germany?

3oneday
17th November 2005, 09:13 AM
ps... how do I get to Germany?mate, it's an uneducated guess, but I would think a plane might be the best way ??? :roll: :roll:

:lol: :lol:

Trung
17th November 2005, 09:22 AM
I went back home at 12.30am and then went through replay of the game.

Did anyone saw the great acting act at the 39th min of the game?

Kee
17th November 2005, 09:23 AM
Awesome game and awesome win.

That was probably the most tense game I've ever watched, and I was only able to watch the final 20 min of the first halve and from extra time onwards.

andylo
17th November 2005, 09:25 AM
Would like to have a look of video clips about the goals... anyone?

Jarro
17th November 2005, 09:32 AM
Did Harry miss that attempt at goal on purpose :smt017 watching the replay, he gave it an almighty swipe ... and nearly had an airswing :lol:

good leadup work though .... we should've scored at least 2 more goals in regulation time last night.

peter_rs
17th November 2005, 09:33 AM
Virgal->Emerton does give up a bit of ball but thats because he is trying to produce something. Chipper on the other hand is a defener and should know better then to give away frees (1-2 you may need as game savers, more then that and you will cost your side). Look when the mid field shadowed players back they worked them to the side and just stopped the cross coming in early, not giving a free

AP-> Not so, I hope for the best & I hope they learn as a side and don't think it was a easy win. I just don't see making the world cup as the goal (top 32 teams in the world... We have been ranked in the 30's for years) its only the start. If we go to the world cup and make the top 16 thats great, top 8 WOW the finial 4 or better a dream to win would set Australian soccer up for years. Going to the world cup and getting hammered in every game in the first pool would not be good for soccer (eg some countries go out first round every time). Its been 34 years since we were last there but we put a show on when we were there & thats what has fueled the fires of so many players for years.

For now this is what I hope-
1.learn from last night
2. We have more international against hard sides
3.blood some of the younger guys
4.get lucky with the pool draw and don't draw the pool of death
5.We kick some arse in the world cup.

Yes the world cup is worth millions for the governing body, but soccer australia put a bonus of $100K per player for making the world cup

Trung
17th November 2005, 10:00 AM
What about the tactical move by John Oneil?

Left the ARU at the top, the wallabies can't win a game now.

Joined FFA and now riding with the Roos to the world cup. Brilliant stuff....

amanda
17th November 2005, 12:38 PM
Trung - surely you must have enough frequent flyer points - otherwise I saw a deal on travel.com.au for $1800 return during the World Cup period.

3oneday
17th November 2005, 01:20 PM
Bit of a tongue in cheek question, but:

Do these Soccer/football players dedicate a session a week to practise their diving and feigning of injury ?? How do they get so good at it ?? they must surely practise ???

I can picture it now, the coach stands there during the diving session, "No Harry, that's crap mate, do 5 laps and come back and try it again !!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

amanda
17th November 2005, 01:28 PM
The South Americans are known to be over-dramatic - I'm pretty sure the first drag queens came from Brazil! Plus - it gives footballers a chance for a career in soapies!

Virgal_Tracy
17th November 2005, 02:46 PM
Going backwards on your points 69 even having spent a lot of years between the posts, that free against Cahill was a joke. Just because you contact the keeper should not make a free especially when you are challenging for the ball.

I think the ref's are getting better at policing the pretending to be hurt. Recoba stuffed himself when Popa was given the card by pretending to be injured as the ref sent him to the sideline meaning he wasn't there to take his sides free kick.

Being a man down until the ref lets you back on may well see players give up on the over acting.

AndyP
17th November 2005, 08:55 PM
I was just visiting the FIFA site for my semi-regular check of rankings, and as of October, Uruguay was ranked 17 (3rd best South American nation).
Australia were way back at 54.

Next ranking update is on the 23rd of this month.

Fishman Dan
17th November 2005, 09:54 PM
Being a man down until the ref lets you back on may well see players give up on the over acting.

You're kidding aren't you? This has been going on for ages.

I saw the Australia vs Honduras game at the Olympics. All events i saw were in the best spirit, except this one. The Australian crowd were that sick of seeing Hondurans going to ground, get carried off, then immediately spring to their feet, run to 1/2 way and come back onto the field.

It was a disgrace, because every time a Hondy went down, the ref felt obliged to stop the game. We'd kick the ball out for a goal-kick, in our best "FIFA-fair-play" moment, and the process would start again.

60 fouls in last nights game is a joke. That ref must go through a few whistles.

Ducky
17th November 2005, 10:10 PM
I see John Travolta is going to be their pilot to Germany.

:smt035

mike
17th November 2005, 11:56 PM
Poor etiquette on Viduka's part.

He didn't fill his divot after his penalty shot.

peter_rs
18th November 2005, 08:40 AM
G69->I have to ask at what level you have been in soccer at?

If the defender make contact with the ball first and not with studs up, not from behind or the player has not passed the ball it doesn't matter if the play falls.... no foul

As for keepers they need the protection becuase you get hammered. after one or two people take runnning jumps at you, you would understand. or the guys that push of the keeper to try and climb higher AFL style. it doesn't stop fair contests.

diving and over acting does happen but refs keep lists of players who regularly dive and as such they have less chance of getting frees. most of the acting as stated is to draw the ref in and slow the play. A dive at anytime is not cool.

I think it was funny when harry got booked for diving. :wink:

Courty
18th November 2005, 11:25 AM
http://www.geocities.com/c0urty/Other/rs0002.jpg

senecio
19th November 2005, 01:38 AM
I played premier league in brisbane from about '82 thru 92 before the knees gave way.

I can vouch for this, having played premier league/reserve grade in Brisbane from 91 thru 2003. Our paths crossed in Beenleigh when I was a youngster and G69 was, well older than I.

Rich, I'm sure I saw you take a dive once, or maybe that was just your knees collapsing.  Hard to tell.  :D

Ryan