PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way you have ever resigned from a job?

backintheswing
16th August 2012, 10:29 PM
I have to do it tomorrow. I was working for a small mining company, but we have recently been bought out by a massive multi-national company who are screwing the employees over conditions, roles etc. I am not happy, so I have found another job.

TheTrueReview
16th August 2012, 10:33 PM
Going quietly is the best way IMO. In fact there's no law which says you have to tell people what you're doing. Just saying something like, "I'm exploring other opportunities and I just want to go quietly" plays with their head & keeps them all wondering. Try it. The blank expressions are priceless.

Sydney Hacker
16th August 2012, 10:37 PM
I once started rumours about where I was you going, telling different people different things.

It.was a lot of fun hearing the different stories from the few people who knew the truth.

One thing I would say though is don't burn your bridges.

timah!
16th August 2012, 10:45 PM
One thing I would say though is don't burn your bridges.

Surely this depends on a lot of things ;)

I worked a few jobs some years ago, both of which I was treated pretty average in the scheme of things.

Job 1, the business was so poorly run that pay was often in cash from the till, and often late. Super not paid etc.
I had made the decision to find another job, did so and worked my last shift, handed back the keys and said 'that's my last shift' and walked out. The end.
(The business went bankrupt not much after).

Job 2, again dickhead boss, zero respect for us as managers, bought a nice shiny BMW to go with his Sydney harbor apartment, but never had the money to fix equipment etc...
Resigned with just enough notice to finish just before the busy period for the business. The look of 'oh crap' on the owners face was priceless.
Just so turned out that in addition to not being able to pay for repairs to equipment and what not, he also didn't pay his business tax bills (millions of $$) and subsequently lost his licenses and went bankrupt. Boo hoo.

backintheswing
16th August 2012, 10:53 PM
The employees of the company I used to work for have been screwed in the whole take-over process. Loss of conditions, allowances, change of hours etc. I am lucky in that I have a trade, engineering degree and years of management experience, so I applied for one job and got it. So I am way better off.

I will be sending the fat HR chick an email when I leave, cc'ing the GM, reminding her that I took her advice and quit, which is what she told me to do when I expressed that the whole takeover process was completely wrong and heavy-handed.

Yossarian
16th August 2012, 11:05 PM
I changed a coffee addicts coffee to decafe and did a poo in his filing cabinet.

(part of that story is not true)

backintheswing
16th August 2012, 11:06 PM
So you didn't change his coffee? ;)

PeteyD
17th August 2012, 06:47 AM
you should go to jail for the decaf.

markTHEblake
17th August 2012, 07:17 AM
Never burn your bridges no matter what. It could bite you on the bum one day. And those people that think they are too important? If the boss hasn't insured you, you ain't. The graveyard is full of unsackable people.

sms316
17th August 2012, 07:18 AM
I've resigned by fax. I think it was the right balance between courtesy and lack of respect.

Lagerlover
17th August 2012, 07:53 AM
I changed a coffee addicts coffee to decafe and did a poo in his filing cabinet. (part of that story is not true)Decaffeinated and defecated???

Lagerlover
17th August 2012, 07:56 AM
I changed a coffee addicts coffee to decafe and did a poo in his filing cabinet.

(part of that story is not true)

Could've saved the filing cabinet thing, and just changed the coffee to this...

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/05/22/kopi-luwak-the-most.html

Dotty
17th August 2012, 08:30 AM
BITS, it sounds like me 15 years ago, and just told the large company (foreign owned) that I was downsizing my workload, concentrate on a single, local product and spend more time with the family.

They called me back a few times to help with large data conversions after hours, but on my terms. (Included on one major dummy spit.)

Ironically, as well as the 'new' job, for the last 8 years, I've been doing my original job (only 60% of complexity now) from home, as they couldn't retain anyone to fill the hole that I left.

Moe Norman
17th August 2012, 09:16 AM
Don't resign and find another job, just go on strike instead.

Haystacks
17th August 2012, 09:28 AM
Decaffeinated and defecated???

Welcome back Lager!

BayBum
22nd August 2012, 10:48 PM
Direct your boss to this thread,im sure he will get the idea...

If he doesnt,i would go with Yoss' play.

backintheswing
22nd August 2012, 10:52 PM
I did it on Friday. My boss couldn't believe I was leaving. Offered me a different role, more money, blah. blah blah. These large companies should fix there stuff-ups before everyone get the shits.

goughy
23rd August 2012, 06:22 AM
Most of the time, I just got sacked.

dc68
23rd August 2012, 08:35 AM
By the mirror?

goughy
23rd August 2012, 10:48 AM
Very tempted to give myself the chop at the moment!

Captain Nemo
23rd August 2012, 11:10 AM
Never done it, been at the same place since i finished Uni.......:roll:

backintheswing
23rd August 2012, 01:01 PM
I was the same after I finished uni. 18 years with the same mob in Brisbane. Since moving here 3 years ago, up to job number 3.

Moe Norman
23rd August 2012, 01:39 PM
i've had 9 employers across 4 countries since I finished Uni, and that was 2001!

shavey
23rd August 2012, 02:38 PM
Welcome back Lager!

My thoughts exactly and just in time for the Champs Shank-Off!

Lagerlover
23rd August 2012, 02:40 PM
My thoughts exactly and just in time for the Champs Shank-Off!

Next time big guy.

solarman
23rd August 2012, 03:17 PM
Does doing a poo in a bottle and sending a message to the lyrics of "message in a bottle" count :)

markTHEblake
23rd August 2012, 09:45 PM
but you never worked for haysey?

p.s. how did you get it in the bottle.

dc68
24th August 2012, 07:44 AM
p.s. how did you get it in the bottle.

Do really, really want him to answer that?

blurry
24th August 2012, 08:16 PM
I didn't really resign , I just told the boss he was sacked and left

BayBum
3rd September 2012, 11:52 AM
If you walk out on your job without notice are you still entitled to be payed out your holiday pay without dispute ?

Moe Norman
3rd September 2012, 12:31 PM
nope

markTHEblake
3rd September 2012, 07:41 PM
Dunno how common this is, but NAB would pay you all salary and leave entitlements, then deduct the 4 weeks notice you were supposed to give. If that results in a negative amount they will pursue you for that. I would imagine that is pretty much the same for any standard employment contract. How far they go chasing the money is somewhat arbitrary, but in most cases, walk out quitters got nothing.

In other words, they legally must pay you the outstanding entitlements and you must pay them the outstanding notice you did not give.

backintheswing
3rd September 2012, 07:53 PM
Thats the only reason I am doing a 4 week stint now. Finish next Thursday.

Lagerlover
3rd September 2012, 07:59 PM
we get marched off premises. keep the car for four weeks. phone with no sim card. ipad with no connection. no contact with co-workers or clients in that time. obviously not realistic, but that's the company policy.

borby
3rd September 2012, 08:02 PM
I've got to find a new job so I can give my notice just before I take my holidays at the end of October.

Anybody got anything in Brissy for someone with an agriculture background currently working in export.
Anything is good really.

IamViva
3rd September 2012, 08:05 PM
Dunno how common this is, but NAB would pay you all salary and leave entitlements, then deduct the 4 weeks notice you were supposed to give. If that results in a negative amount they will pursue you for that. I would imagine that is pretty much the same for any standard employment contract. How far they go chasing the money is somewhat arbitrary, but in most cases, walk out quitters got nothing.

In other words, they legally must pay you the outstanding entitlements and you must pay them the outstanding notice you did not give.

This happened at a previous job of mine, i was only able to give 1 week notice instead of 2, so they absorbed it from my final weeks pay :shock:

we get marched off premises. keep the car for four weeks. phone with no sim card. ipad with no connection. no contact with co-workers or clients in that time. obviously not realistic, but that's the company policy.

what company is this if i may ask?

Sydney Hacker
3rd September 2012, 08:22 PM
we get marched off premises. keep the car for four weeks. phone with no sim card. ipad with no connection. no contact with co-workers or clients in that time. obviously not realistic, but that's the company policy. why would they leave you with those things? Just put you on gardening leave and be done with it.