PDA

View Full Version : The thing that irks me about V8 supercars is ...

mike
9th October 2005, 06:33 PM
I've been a motorsport fan for a thousand years. Dad used to take me to Oran Park and Amaroo Park. I used to live for motorsport and my childhood hero was Colin Bond. ( Peter Brock's HDT team mate )

Back then a driver would fight his guts out for a lead. If there was an accident, whoopdy friggin doo, you just keep on driving, the flag marshalls would let you know there was oil/body panels/limbs on the track and drivers would drive accordingly.

THESE DAYS there is no incentive for anybody to build on a lead, because some numbskull at the back of the field can have a stack and the field bunches up again. I know it makes for close racing all day but it just isn't fair on the leader who has risked everything to get that far in front.
A classic example was that no-name that ended up in the sand pit at Caltex chase. For God's sake, just hook him up to a winch , pull him outa there and get on with it.

On today's coverage , around lap 120 or so, one of the commentators said how amazing it was for the top 3 to be separated by a few seconds after 4 hours of racing. :roll: Well what do you expect , Bill?

I'm starting to think Damo is right.

Grunt
9th October 2005, 06:34 PM
Have to agree with you there Mike

markTHEblake
9th October 2005, 06:47 PM
easy fixed. start the race in sydney and the winner is the first to arrive in brisbane.

Fishman Dan
9th October 2005, 07:47 PM
Mike - good point. And showed today with Skaife sitting 3rd or 4th all day, just behind the pace and came up trumps.

But there was a long section of the race today without a pace-car - 60-odd laps. That could have been the last 60 laps, and then your concern is a moot point.

But more often than not there's a safety car incident in the final 20-30 laps of an enduro.

mike
9th October 2005, 11:24 PM
Mike - good point..
I only make good points

And showed today with Skaife sitting 3rd or 4th all day, just behind the pace and came up trumps..
All the more reason to hate the pace car.

But there was a long section of the race today without a pace-car - 60-odd laps. That could have been the last 60 laps, .
Nuh. I didn't watch much of the race but I know there was a pace car around lap 120 and again with only 12 laps to go, after the punch up.

But more often than not there's a safety car incident in the final 20-30 laps of an enduro.
Maybe they should do away with the first 151 laps and just have a 10 lap sprint to the finish.

What the hell is that pace car anyway ? talk about ugly. ugh.

Grunt
10th October 2005, 06:45 AM
It was a Chrysler 300C Hemi, being released here in November

Courty
10th October 2005, 08:39 AM
Mike - good point. And showed today with Skaife sitting 3rd or 4th all day, just behind the pace and came up trumps.

That's all a Holden driver has to do. The Ford's in the lead always crash/ breakdown near the end anyway. :roll: :wink:

Jarro
10th October 2005, 08:53 AM

That's all a Holden driver has to do. The Ford's in the lead always crash/ breakdown near the end anyway.  :roll:  :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :smt023