PDA

View Full Version : Golf Impact Screen Suggestions

matty
15th August 2012, 09:24 PM
I'm covering an area approx 3m high by about 2.7m wide at the end of the shed. I plan to hang the screen from the roof beams.

I don't want to use netting. I want the screen to go to the floor and curve back to me so the balls roll back. Have been thinking of carpet (2 layers close together) or rubber flooring (expensive?) hung up.

Any suggestions on the best, most cost effective impact screen? Anyone built one?

virge666
15th August 2012, 09:25 PM
Verandah shade cloth

Jono
15th August 2012, 09:44 PM
Mate, you'll encounter two problems.

1) it's going to make a very loud noise.
2) You'll go through a lot of balls as they will crack.

A loose netting will be a better option unless you are specially using a simulator and projector.

golfbound
15th August 2012, 10:22 PM
what about 440 GSM banner material like from a sign shop that isn't overly expensive

Leftfoot75
15th August 2012, 10:40 PM
If you do consider sports netting, this is the best place I've found to buy it:

http://www.haverford.com.au/golfcagenet.html

about $90 for the same quality nets you see in golf shops like Drummonds.

It says 3m x 3m, but for some reason they gave me a package that had a 3m x 6m net - it comes in a sealed bag.

I bought it directly at their factory at Milperra (near Bankstown Golf Course).

The net looks like it'll last forever.

timinsa
15th August 2012, 11:42 PM
+1 for the shade cloth option. Not cheap Bunnings/Coolaroo crap either. Source something that is 90% UV block like Monotec from a reputable shade maker. If you're not going to use a net then put a layer of commercial tarp canvas behind it. I ran a net with shade cloth behind it in my garage. After a bit of tweaking on the net tension the balls would hit the net, spin, bounce a couple of times & hop back to my feet.

idgolfguy
16th August 2012, 12:29 AM
Is the ceiling high enough?

matty
16th August 2012, 06:20 AM
Thanks boys. Some good suggestions there for me to think about while I pretend to work today. Will put up some pics when done.

Dotty
16th August 2012, 07:11 AM
Matty, don't ask me. My drives wouldn't reach the far wall of the shed. ;)

Jono
16th August 2012, 10:55 AM
Matty, don't ask me. My drives wouldn't reach the far wall of the shed. ;)

Not true. I will bounce and roll to the end of the shed. ;)

matty
18th August 2012, 06:32 PM
Got started on the project today. Ended up going for the cheapest option, off-cuts of renters carpet. Got two rolls of about 2.7m wide x 3.5m long for $40 from the warehouse of Carpet Court. Bargain.

Now to clear a space at the end of the shed. I was going to make it half as wide as the shed, 3m. Ended up making the screen 2.07m wide. Saved me stuffing around in the corner with the roller door. Anyhow, if you can't hit that from about 6m you're in trouble!

Measured the fall of the roof. Cut carpet to fit.

Bought an eyelet kit for about $15 from Bunnings with 100 eyelets included. Being supervised by the resident of the shed while doing this. In hindsight I should have looked for bigger eyelets. Time will tell how they hold up.

Drilled some holes in the beams and used landscaping wire to hold the carpet up. Is advisable to get a second person to help if possible when hanging it up. Was a pain in the arse. I hung it loosely, then readjusted and cut of excess wire.

Stage 1 complete. I had planned to put up a second roll to absorb more impact but it doesn't seem to need it. A full three wood didn't move it, although it made one hell of a thud. I put a box of tiles at each corner of the screen causing the ball to bounce back nicely. I think woods would eventually hit through it but as I'll be hitting 5-7 irons at it, it should be right for a while. I'm only going to use it to work on timing and film the swing hitting an actual ball. The carpet is set forward about 10cm from the wall near the ceiling and is about 30cm from it at floor level.

Am considering putting sports netting a few meters down each side for when the young bloke (3y.o.) hits balls and using the other carpet roll on the floor. There's some good netting on the bay for around $50 that will do the job.

Am happy with end product so far. Another reason for SWMBO to complain I don't spend enough time with her!

timinsa
18th August 2012, 08:21 PM
Speaking from experience. Put the side netting up for you. The roller door will cop a pasting.

Irongrass
23rd August 2012, 06:29 PM
I'm with Dotty... I couldn't always guaruntee the ball going in a forward direction....

Dotty
23rd August 2012, 09:41 PM
I'm with Dotty... I couldn't always guaruntee the ball going in a forward direction....
The sad thing is my drives are very straight.

It's the swing speed that Trackman categorises as 'anaemic'.

Mububban
5th September 2012, 02:26 PM
Firstly - I want your shed!

I reckon carpet the floor, protect the sides just in case your mates come over and want a hit, and maybe a single layer of shadecloth hanging 20cm in front of the carpet will take enough of the sting out of it that the carpet behind will never be punched through, but it'll still probably enable the balls to roll back from the carpet.

Nice setup mate, very jealous of the space you have there!

goonie
5th September 2012, 03:30 PM
What about the roof? incase you top one :eek:

matty
5th September 2012, 03:44 PM
Firstly - I want your shed!

I reckon carpet the floor, protect the sides just in case your mates come over and want a hit, and maybe a single layer of shadecloth hanging 20cm in front of the carpet will take enough of the sting out of it that the carpet behind will never be punched through, but it'll still probably enable the balls to roll back from the carpet.

Nice setup mate, very jealous of the space you have there!

Yes, I love my shed! Recently had a couple of big workbenches made up and am about to put up some pegboards for all the tools.
Re the impact screen, I did hang up a proper golf net in front of it and it takes the sting out nicely.

I haven't missed the screen yet. The young bloke (3yo) has! Very loud off the walls.

matty
5th September 2012, 03:45 PM
What about the roof? incase you top one :eek:

Might hit it thin, but hopefully the topping days are over!

Mububban
7th September 2012, 04:21 PM
Yes, I love my shed! Recently had a couple of big workbenches made up and am about to put up some pegboards for all the tools.

Please stop, I think I'm going to cry

Eldrick
8th September 2012, 03:10 PM
i know you're pretty well set up already.
but i was working a building today where they were using those hang up mats/baffles that they use when they do not want to damage to lifts
would work well and be a good insulator of sound

matty
10th September 2012, 08:29 PM
Not a bad idea but my set up was pretty cheap overall. The golf net in front of the carpet solves all issues now.

Dotty
10th February 2015, 07:35 PM
Bumping this tread for gcgolf.

Scifisicko
12th February 2015, 10:55 PM
I used heavy carpet off cuts once. The ball went straight through after a bit of use. Netting is the go. The balistic archery netting is the best. They use it to stop Arrows in indoor archery ranges when you miss the target. It doesnt look like the netting we know from golf Nets (looks more like curtains).