PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have wireless broadband connection?

Jono
8th October 2005, 12:04 PM
I'm thinking of moving on from Optus and getting wireless broadband connection.

http://www.unwired.com.au/

Just wondering how it compares with cable broadband. Is the speed comparable? Does it cut out if the reception is poor?

markTHEblake
9th October 2005, 01:23 PM
I wouldnt move from Cable broadband if i was you.  Wireless is only the best option for someone who cant get either Cable or DSL, or wants something thats portable.

Unless your moving i cant see it being cost effective to change.

The speed wont make any difference. 512mb on Cable will be the same as 512mb on Wirleless and the same as 512mb on any other connection type.

I am pretty certain Unwired is using Wi-max, so suggest you do some research on how weather might affect that.

There are three types of wireless internet -
1. Non Line of Site, like Unwired which is like a mobile phone network.  Technologies used include WiMax, EVDO
2. Near Line of Site, Antenna on your roof that is aligned to the tower.
3. Line of Site, antenna on your roof aligned to the tower.   this is sometimes called Point to Point or Fixed Wireless.

I am almost certain weather will affect #1, and 100% certain not 2 or 3.
There are several other reasons that i cant rememeber why fixed point to point wireless is superior to other technologies.

FWIW 5 years ago i worked for the first wireless internet company in australia, and i am doing some casual work for a wireless provider now.

What you really need to do is to ensure that Unwired gives you a money back guarantee that you can get a decent service.   One fact thats certain in regard to wireless, is that just becuase you are within a coverage area doesnt mean you can get it.

Fishman Dan
9th October 2005, 02:49 PM
Jono, you don't need it for 'portable' broadband around Sydney, and cable is by far the best speed-wise.

If you want accessibility around the house, stick a wireless device onto your cable modem. I've got a Linksys device plugged into my ADSL modem so i can get wireless anywhere in my (small) house.

Jono
9th October 2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. MTB, I'll have to read your post a few times to digest. :shock: :lol:

I'll be moving around in the next few years. Plus I take my computer to work and would like to be able to access the net. One way is to use dial-up connection and use the hospital phone line. Wireless is the other way to go.

Unwired has 14 day money back period so I might try it. I rang them and they did admit that heavy weather can affect the reception ... :?