PDA

View Full Version : When is it time to give golf away

Collis
4th August 2012, 09:07 AM
Played this morning, walked off after 2 holes.
Just didn't want to be there. Is it common just to all of a suddenly decide you don't want to play anymore?

I'm actually the secretary at the club and think that's half the reason. Spending 15-20 hours doing work for the club and by the time Saturday comes around I'm over it.

Any other people out there who have become fed up with golf at one point.

davepuppies
4th August 2012, 09:14 AM
yep has happened several times, but not due to me doing extra work for the club.

I have taken several breaks from the game, because i either stopped enjoying it, or i was playing golf so poorly for so long i stopped enjoying.

I had a almost 10 year break from being a junior at 17 with potential to do a tranieeship to take the game back up at 27 and no friggin idea how to swing it.

Over the last 5 years i got my handicap back down to 2, but took several breaks away too.

I am now off 8 and just playing for fun, and if i lose interest i take a few weeks off...... and suggest you do the same - take a month off!

sol381
4th August 2012, 09:15 AM
absence makes the heart grow fonder.. everyone has felt that way.. your situation is different tho being at the club.. maybe just don't pick a club up for a month and see if the hunger comes back.

Jarro
4th August 2012, 09:18 AM
there's at least one other thread on this very topic here already.

Plenty of people think time away from playing makes the passion return.

I've found that to be the case.

No point going out to play because you feel you have to.

IamViva
4th August 2012, 09:43 AM
ive had the same feelings with golf usually due to form, ive changed my opinion on why i play... not to get to single figures and perform at my best every round i go out and enjoy the sun, the walk and the company much better than working 40+ hours per week in a warehouse.

one thing that people may not consider is most other sports have an off season, a break can work wonders

mike
4th August 2012, 09:51 AM
Just didn't want to be there. Is it common just to all of a suddenly decide you don't want to play anymore?

I'm actually the secretary at the club and think that's half the reason. Spending 15-20 hours doing work for the club and by the time Saturday comes around I'm over it.

Any other people out there who have become fed up with golf at one point.Simple solution. Resign as secretary.

I had 2 years on the committee in '05 and '06. Totally did my head in as far as golf went. Just wasn't interested.

SundayHack
4th August 2012, 10:00 AM

Any other people out there who have become fed up with golf at one point.

Feel your pain. Im the captain of my club and all the time spent there doing other stuff the last thing I feel like doing sometimes is playing. Ones got to go and it ain't the golf.

Webster
4th August 2012, 10:11 AM
Poor form to walk off after 2 holes though.

sms316
4th August 2012, 10:57 AM
When you are in c grade.

BenM
4th August 2012, 01:33 PM
The short answer to the question is when you are not enjoying it any more.

I gave up for 10+ years for that reason. Sold my clubs, completely gave the game away. I've heard stories from LOTS of people who've done the same thing so you wouldn't be robinson crusoe.

My advice though would be don't do anything hasty, take a break and a step back and see how you feel in a few weeks.

These days I often finish 18 holes in a comp and want to go out and do it all again, even if just to prove I can do better.

TheTrueReview
4th August 2012, 01:43 PM
When you are in c grade.

Should golf course access be granted only to B & A grade golfers?

sms316
4th August 2012, 01:47 PM
Should golf course access be granted only to B & A grade golfers? After playing with the 24 marker who had 110 this morning and had my group on the clock because of his rancid play - yes.

Peter
4th August 2012, 01:49 PM
If you're asking this question you should probably give up.

Minor_Threat
4th August 2012, 01:55 PM
After playing with the 24 marker who had 110 this morning and had my group on the clock because of his rancid play - yes.I had a similar experience this morning. Add to that getting attacked by a 2 x pluver birds (spelling) and ending up in a filthy divot all on the first hole, did my head in.

TheTrueReview
4th August 2012, 02:05 PM
After playing with the 24 marker who had 110 this morning and had my group on the clock because of his rancid play - yes.

Fair enough. Let's ban from golf courses until they can make B grade comp level.

sms316
4th August 2012, 02:06 PM
Fair enough. Let's ban from golf courses until they can make B grade comp level. Bit harsh. Let them play on Tuesdays with the women.

TheTrueReview
4th August 2012, 02:08 PM
Bit harsh. Let them play on Tuesdays with the women.

Nope. They have no right to be there. Get rid of them.

sms316
4th August 2012, 02:13 PM
Nope. They have no right to be there. Get rid of them. Fair enough. Should the rest of the field have to just suck it up to cater to the degenerates who can't play at a normal speed?

TheTrueReview
4th August 2012, 02:18 PM
Fair enough. Should the rest of the field have to just suck it up to cater to the degenerates who can't play at a normal speed?

No way. Get rid of anyone from the course who's not an elite player & who can play at normal speeds or faster. The degenerates can go and do something else.

sms316
4th August 2012, 02:20 PM
No way. Get rid of anyone from the course who's not an elite player & who can play at normal speeds or faster. The degenerates can go and do something else. You need to get back on the Golf Qld board. This new attitude could be the saviour of golf.

TheTrueReview
4th August 2012, 02:22 PM
You need to get back on the Golf Qld board. This new attitude could be the saviour of golf.

Don't know what you're talking about.

BenM
4th August 2012, 02:23 PM
The problem you have is not with C graders, it's with slow players, I've seen plenty of A & B graders who play at a glacial pace (especially when they're having a hacksome day). Just ban slow players, problem solved. It does make it difficult when you're smacking it in the trees and looking for balls all day but that's not limited to C graders either.

B grader I played with today took 14 shots on the 2nd, I don't think we played that hole very quick.

AndyP
4th August 2012, 02:34 PM
Stableford for B and C graders please. It's torture making people have that many shots on a hole.

My club has been having a ridiculous amount of stroke comps lately for club champs, matchplay champs and monthly medals in between. It all adds up when you are at the back of the field.

Captain Nemo
4th August 2012, 03:33 PM
Anyway, back on topic...
I've been playing ordinary lately due to a dicky shoulder, but I love going out there week in week out.
Great to get away from the wife and kids and have a good time with my usual foursome, I often don't really care how well I play most sat's...

3oneday
4th August 2012, 06:37 PM
I'd walk off injured or sick, never through boredom.

Webster
4th August 2012, 06:39 PM
I'm hitting in on the head at the moment. Awful golf, putting yips, the whole shebang.

But no way would I ever even think of giving up for a second. Cos I love golf.

Jarro
4th August 2012, 06:39 PM
I'd walk off injured or sick, never through boredom.

^^^^ this.

Eag's
4th August 2012, 06:43 PM
I have breaks on a regular basis through the year which suits me.
This year I have played 2 games and I am not missing it one bit. If you are not enjoying it or it becomes a chore, do something else for awhile.

dave1
4th August 2012, 06:53 PM
agree do something else

I have busy life so this year golf has been limited and I do miss the social side of golf

Johnny Canuck
4th August 2012, 06:56 PM
I'm hitting in on the head at the moment. Awful golf, putting yips, the whole shebang.But no way would I ever even think of giving up for a second. Cos I love golf. Exactly. I striped it today and threw in 36 putts to shoot 78.Can't wait for the 36 hole pennants final tomorrow. Love golf no matter how bad I play.

Eag's
4th August 2012, 07:12 PM
I used to be like that JC, but as I have gotten older the passion is just not there any more :smt102

Johnny Canuck
4th August 2012, 07:19 PM
I hope it stays forever. It stems from playing every spot imaginable growing up and having most of them eliminated from my life moving to aus and getting married. It is filling voids.

Eag's
4th August 2012, 08:36 PM
Fair enough mate, I can understand that.

razaar
4th August 2012, 09:35 PM
Collis, if you want to enjoy playing the game again, then you may have to play your golf at other courses. I don't know of many SEc/Managers who get to enjoy competition play at their course of employment.

Irongrass
4th August 2012, 09:37 PM
I played really badly in my first comp today. But it didn't concern me. Loved it and the blokes that I was having a hit with were really funny bastards. I'll get back and I reckon my game can only get better (I couldn't get any worse.. surely?).

idgolfguy
5th August 2012, 04:00 AM
Peaks and troughs. I'll play well for a few rounds, place poorly for them. Love golf and the opportunity to catch-up.

Different perspective when it is prefaced with work at the club. It becomes a chore. Is it a thankless job, with no appreciation? Perhaps that is an issue too?

sms316
5th August 2012, 07:00 AM
Collis, if you want to enjoy playing the game again, then you may have to play your golf at other courses. I don't know of many SEc/Managers who get to enjoy competition play at their course of employment. The former GM at Keperra did. Nothing like watching the boss get pissed at work every week.

razaar
5th August 2012, 08:25 AM
He wasn't the only SecMan there to enjoy himself. Funny that they both learn't their trade at Ashgrove.:D

Webster
5th August 2012, 08:56 AM
worse

The way I'm going I'll be out to 4 by the WAnker Champs.

sms316
5th August 2012, 09:14 AM
Get a belly putter.

IamViva
5th August 2012, 09:45 AM
I hope it stays forever. It stems from playing every spot imaginable growing up and having most of them eliminated from my life moving to aus and getting married. It is filling voids.
curling? seal hunting? :D

kingslayer33
5th August 2012, 10:17 AM
curling? seal hunting? :D Ice fishin' :D

Courty
5th August 2012, 10:58 AM
I'm hitting in on the head at the moment. Awful golf, putting yips, the whole shebang.

But no way would I ever even think of giving up for a second. Cos I love golf.

+1.

TheNuclearOne
5th August 2012, 05:21 PM
I'm in a slump too but over the last 12 months i've lost one good practice hit a fortnight so an back to 2 - 3 times a fortnight with two being comp. I was peeved at first but after a while have taken it well in stride and am just enjoying the day.

Sounds like the problem here is just the work thing.

oncewasagolfer
5th August 2012, 05:36 PM
I hit some bloody horrible shots today at ballarat the duck hook is well and truely back but I'm not gunna give up had 12 years of bad golf and am just starting to turn the corner.

adlo
5th August 2012, 11:05 PM

Thats what she said.

mike
5th August 2012, 11:10 PM
Do you still play adlo?

adlo
5th August 2012, 11:14 PM
I don't Mike. Last game was with the Wankers for a major we had at the start of the year. Completely lost interest. I grabbed a club out the other day and had a few air swings. I think the interest is returning somewhat, but the idea of losing 5-6 hours of my weekend kills me. So I won't be out there any time soon.

mike
5th August 2012, 11:17 PM
I rarely play these days too. Comp golf doesn't interest me at the moment but I go out for the occasional 9 holes on a Friday arv.

adlo
5th August 2012, 11:23 PM
That will definitely be the way I start playing again. I am overdue for 9 holes at Binningup, if I don't enjoy that it is fair to say the will to play golf is dead.

hocko
6th August 2012, 12:03 AM
That will definitely be the way I start playing again. I am overdue for 9 holes at Binningup, if I don't enjoy that it is fair to say the will to play golf is dead.
Say it isn't so Ads?

adlo
6th August 2012, 12:12 AM
Say it isn't so Ads?

Theory yet to be tested. Have a weekday off in a few weeks, if the weather is permissible I may just find out.

Golfnut
6th August 2012, 12:20 AM
Will be a sad day if the magic of Binny doesn't rouse the senses.

adlo
6th August 2012, 12:31 AM
I could walk Binny without clubs and leave satisfied.

Yossarian
6th August 2012, 12:50 AM
Thats what she said.

:lol:

Golfnut
6th August 2012, 10:08 AM
I could walk Binny without clubs and leave satisfied. And miss the happy ending on 9?

Johnny Canuck
6th August 2012, 11:00 AM
Thats what she said. Nice.