PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News story

jaster
6th October 2005, 12:53 PM
http://www.pga.org.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=116842

http://www.pga.org.au/_content/image/00050771-image.jpg
Kiwi, Michael Campbell after winning the 2005 US Open Championship (Photo by Getty Images).

Reigning US Open Champion Michael Campbell confirmed for PGA Centenary
Thursday 6 October 2005
Current US Open Champion and world number 14, Michael Campbell today confirmed he will play the 2005 Cadbury Schweppes Australian PGA Championship in Queensland from 1-4 December.

Campbell who was granted a sponsors' invite to compete in the 1998 event, this year enters the tournament as a Major Championship winner having won the 105th US Open Championship at Pinehurst No.2 in North Carolina by two shots from world number one, Tiger Woods. He was the first New Zealander to win a Major since Sir Bob Charles in 1963 which sparked wonderful celebrations in his homeland.

"I am looking forward to returning to the Hyatt Regency Coolum for the Centenary of the Cadbury Schweppes Australian PGA Championship. I remember that the PGA of Australia were one of the first to extend a sponsors' invitation to me when I was struggling back in 1997/98 and I am glad to be able to repay their support after the most exciting year of my career to date," the US Open Champion said.

“The PGA is thrilled that Michael has chosen to support our event, especially in its Centenary year,” Max Garske, CEO of PGA Australia said. “Michael is playing exceptional golf at the moment and I’m sure he’ll do very well on the Hyatt course.”

The 36-year-old New Zealander also claimed the HSBC World Match Play Championship last month after beating Irishman Paul McGinley 2 & 1 in the 36-hole final and claimed the biggest first prize cheque in golf – one million pounds. The Kiwi’s win in this event along with other solid performances on the European PGA Tour sees him atop of the European Tour Money list.

Campbell will be hoping to join fellow countrymen Phil Tataurangi and Greg Turner in winning the Cadbury Schweppes Australian PGA Championship. Others vying for the Centenary title include defending champion Peter Lonard, past champion’s Robert Allenby and Craig Parry, Mark Hensby, Nick O’Hern and Rod Pampling.

Jarro
6th October 2005, 12:59 PM
that's great news 8)

i have to go and see at least one round of this when it's on, i know we've talked about it before ... but is anyone else thinking of going :?:

jaster
6th October 2005, 01:02 PM
I am still mate..it is the weekend after the ozgolf champs so I am just going to play it by ear, now that Cambo is in though it certainly makes it even more tempting 8) Would love to try and catch a Monday/Tuesday practice round if nothing else!!

Jarro
6th October 2005, 01:04 PM
wouldn't mind catching Pamps in action either.

saw him a few years ago at RQ and his ballstriking was awesome to watch in the flesh :shock: