PDA

View Full Version : An ethical dillema.

Bruce
6th October 2005, 11:41 AM
Imagine you are in this purely hypothetical situation.

You are browsing through a 'chain' sports store that happens to sell golf equipment. You idly pick up the odd box of balls. You pick up your favourite ball of the moment in the Precept U-Tri Tour and note that it is incorrectly priced as a Laddie and is only $30 per dozen instead of the correct $50 per dozen. You feel confident the retail kiddie won't notice the difference between the box and the price label without assistance. Do you:

a) Alert the store to their error,

b) Grab the mislabled box and head straight to the checkout or,

c) Search the rest of the stock to find the other mislabled box and take both of them to counter rubbing your hands with glee.

Purely hypothetical of course.

PS. Anyone after some cheap U-Tri Tours? 8)

gazgolf1
6th October 2005, 11:49 AM
c) :lol:

McMw
6th October 2005, 11:50 AM
well....when I was working in OW and a price was wrong on an item - we had to honour it...

that's why retails stores (esp bigger ones) do once a weel SEL checks...

peter_rs
6th October 2005, 11:52 AM
hypothetical I would check the other boxes and see if they were all miss labeled if so just purchase them. After purchasing them you could say something but I wouldn't, its like when servos put the street price up but haven't changed it at the pump. its your lucky day.

If it is only one box don't touch it because if they pick it up and the label looks tampered then I can try and do you for shop lifting. If the label looks fine try your luck and act dumb if they say anything.

Jarro
6th October 2005, 11:52 AM
absolutely option "C" :smt023

AndyP
6th October 2005, 12:03 PM
I say grab as many as you can.

andylo
6th October 2005, 12:06 PM
Option C

Webster
6th October 2005, 01:01 PM
C

How many boxes did you get?

jaster
6th October 2005, 01:09 PM
Great topic Bruce...C for sure...

Why should it be up to me or you to show someone who is getting paid how to do their job properly or point out mistakes? About time people starting paying for their own mistakes instead of me bailing them out I reckon ;)

Bruce
6th October 2005, 01:09 PM
C

How many boxes did you get?

There were just the 2, hence the word "both" under option C.

I think I'm set for a while now balls-wise.

andylo
6th October 2005, 01:13 PM
By the way Bruce...

Check the balls... maybe they are China make counterfeit!

(Just kidding)

jaster
6th October 2005, 01:18 PM
By the way Bruce...

Check the balls... maybe they are China make counterfeit!

(Just kidding)

Alo I am never sure if you are joking or not but that is funny :lol:

goughy
6th October 2005, 07:11 PM
Bought a pair of raybans years ago at myers. Saw the price and went :shock: , left the store and headed out to an optom's and checked the price there. Went back to myers and picked them up for the miss priced $150 less. Seems to be the way it goes. I'm sure if I made that mistake the customer would buy then run for the hills. And I would honour that mistake (through gritted teeth).

Webster
6th October 2005, 07:42 PM
This reminds me of when I was entrusted to buy the grog for the office Christmas party many, many years ago. I had free reign to spend about $1000 to fill up about 40 people. I decided to buy mostly cheapish wine around $10 a bottle but they had some decent Penfolds stuff at $36 a bottle marked down from about $50 - in boxes of 6. So I grabbed a couple of boxes, or a dozen bottles in all, just to keep the snobs happy.

When I took it all to the checkout the bird behind the counter with her barcode reader swiped the boxes at $36 per box rather than $36 per bottle and just shoved it all back into the trolley - I didn't even realise until I got it into the car and was checking the receipt on the way home. $50 Penfolds reds at $6 a bottle is a pretty good bargain I thought. Had it been a small bottle shop I would have gone back for sure, but being a massive Woolworths owned grog shop I didn't see the point in going back to fess up - it wasn't going to hurt them financially so who cares.

Sometimes you have to just accept the good luck that comes your way, just like a lucky bounce out of the trees. :D

Grunt
6th October 2005, 08:01 PM
C for me. Don't let the bastards let you pay too much?

Keza_G
6th October 2005, 08:02 PM
Option C for me....

markTHEblake
6th October 2005, 09:41 PM
Isnt there a law that covers this, called Theft by Error or something like that. rarely gets prosecuted (obviously).

Flowergirl
7th October 2005, 08:16 PM
Glad you chose option C Bruce............you probably left half a box out in the trees at Yarra Yarra this arvo :smt081 :smt044 :smt043 :smt081 :smt044 :smt112 :smt112

Sorry........couldn't resist..........come on .........any comeback you like..........that's only fair............

jaster
7th October 2005, 09:05 PM
:smt046

Fishman Dan
7th October 2005, 09:19 PM
Isnt there a law that covers this,  called Theft by Error or something like that.     rarely gets prosecuted (obviously).

I live by another rule... Don't give a sucker an even break. When the goings good, you have to capitalise ;)

Nice pickup Bruce - i'm a fan of the U-Tri tours... and so are the Ti Tree from what i've read.

markTHEblake
7th October 2005, 10:18 PM
I live by another rule... Don't give a sucker an even break. When the goings good, you have to capitalise ;)

Fishman Dan
7th October 2005, 10:23 PM

Chameleon

Flowergirl
7th October 2005, 10:48 PM
you come and go......you come and go................
Gee that sounds like most of the men in my life....... :wink:

Fishman Dan
7th October 2005, 10:53 PM
you come and go......you come and go................
Gee that sounds like most of the men in my life....... :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Damn those wombats..

Flowergirl
7th October 2005, 10:56 PM
:D :wink:

Jarro
8th October 2005, 01:25 AM
keep it on topic people :wink: :lol:

bloody Boy George