PDA

View Full Version : Driver shafts

RobNewy
30th July 2012, 08:02 PM
Im thinking of trying something else.

I have an R11 with a Chuk, playing at 45", which I choke down on about 1/2".
It seems to work well.

Im not a massive hitter, getting it out about 220m in these wet conditions. Out of the screws around 240 in the wet. All measured with GPS

I like the ball flight, and accuracy of the Chuk, but would like a bit more length, without sacrifycing to much accuracy.
I know the Axivcore series has some to look at, but what else is there?

As I dont know many with an R11 to trade shafts to try, any suggestions on what I should look for would be great.

Cheers

timah!
30th July 2012, 08:06 PM
Yeah, cos 240m in the wet is crazy short... :?

rqrox
30th July 2012, 08:12 PM
Im thinking of trying something else.

I have an R11 with a Chuk, playing at 45", which I choke down on about 1/2".
It seems to work well.

Im not a massive hitter, getting it out about 220m in these wet conditions. Out of the screws around 240 in the wet. All measured with GPS

I like the ball flight, and accuracy of the Chuk, but would like a bit more length, without sacrifycing to much accuracy.
I know the Axivcore series has some to look at, but what else is there?

As I dont know many with an R11 to trade shafts to try, any suggestions on what I should look for would be great.

Cheers

Rob,
Some swing characteristics i.e. swing speed, normal shot trajectory etc might help some.

RobNewy
30th July 2012, 08:12 PM
Timah, that doesnt happen very often. One every 2 rounds or so. 22o mostly.

Just want to try to get a bit more length.
To be honest I didnt really have a hold on the Chuk when it was dry. My driving has improved, just looking at options

timah!
30th July 2012, 08:14 PM
Timah, that doesnt happen very often. One every 2 rounds or so.

Shaft or swing?

RobNewy
30th July 2012, 08:15 PM
Roqrx, am not to sure on swing speed. Shot trajectory is mid to high, Dead straight is a good one, mostly very small fad. The bad one is still a high big fade, but not to often.
Reasonably quick tempo, but I dont load up the shaft to much, it still feels quite stiff

JADO75
30th July 2012, 08:16 PM
Flick the chuck mate, they are over rated poo. There are a bunch of other shafts that are just as accurate & much longer.

RobNewy
30th July 2012, 08:18 PM
Jado, dont really want to spend a shiteload, but what is there out there?

JADO75
30th July 2012, 08:24 PM
There's a million different options out there mate but without knowing or seeing your swing it's a guess. What type of flight do you want? Swing speed? Do you hit it high or low? What did you use before the chuck?

rqrox
30th July 2012, 08:27 PM
Jado, wash your mouth out!
The Chuk certainly isn't the longest, but I bet Rob will say its the most consistent he's bashed.
I too am a reformed Chuker with very similar swing ( by the sounds of it), although with new get up I'm getting good results!
Height generally has less spin ergo straighter shots I'm currently having good results using the GD AD DI 6s and the Attas T2.
I find the GD AD DI 6 is slightly higher launch and has less spin which places me in the fairway more often than not.
Let us know how you go with your search as the rest of us are still looking......

RobNewy
30th July 2012, 08:28 PM
Jado, I like the currant ball flight, Medium high, no balloning, doesnt drop out of the sky. No idea on speed, I would guess around 100mph or so.but its a guess.
Never had a driver before the R11. It had the stock Blur. I has always used a 3 wood.

RobNewy
30th July 2012, 08:33 PM
Rqrox, would you believe i have been looking at the AD DI, but it is a bit hexy.

rqrox
30th July 2012, 08:42 PM
Your right they are! but in my opinion well worth it.

TheNuclearOne
30th July 2012, 08:58 PM
Any ho's in your area? Lots of shafts out there TM tipped and easily slapped in. Given you've only ever used two shafts (no homo) i'd be keen to at least try a couple before laying down the bucks.

RobNewy
31st July 2012, 05:23 AM
TNO, i plan on trying a few, but just wanted a bit of insight into what to try, instead of just trying anything

3oneday
31st July 2012, 07:15 AM
Anything stiff and over 70 to 75 grams is a good start.

Dotty
31st July 2012, 07:15 AM
Jado, dont really want to spend a shiteload, but what is there out there?
TM demo days/nights may be a solution ...

http://www.taylormadegolf.com.au/demo-day.html#victoria

RobNewy
31st July 2012, 11:32 AM
Cheers.
The fitting days look the goods. Might see if i can skive of work a bit early

TheNuclearOne
31st July 2012, 05:34 PM
TNO, i plan on trying a few, but just wanted a bit of insight into what to try, instead of just trying anything

Ok. Agree with 3, and also the TM fitting night.

Don't be afraid to try the UST VTS if the are available, in the 7 for a start. They make three models in each weight segment, Silver, Black and Red. The three models are differentiated by varying torque, and most should be catered for somewhere in the three.

They are getting rave reviews and come at a much cheaper price than others of similar performance (many people are putting them up there with most if not above). Must try one sometime.

http://www.ustmamiya.com/shaft_models/product.aspx?id=126

RobNewy
31st July 2012, 06:02 PM
TNO, I have heard good things about the VTS, especially the red.

I know Puji has one in his driver, and I just need to get my arse into gear and tee up a round with him, but its a different head to mine, so Im not sure if it would feel/play different?

TheNuclearOne
31st July 2012, 06:23 PM
TNO, I have heard good things about the VTS, especially the red.

I know Puji has one in his driver, and I just need to get my arse into gear and tee up a round with him, but its a different head to mine, so Im not sure if it would feel/play different?

You'd get a fair idea if you like the shaft i think. You also might get an idea of what weight class in a driver you like to. If you find a shaft and weight you like you could also look at other similar shafts then.

RobNewy
31st July 2012, 07:48 PM
Just some quick research.
Also came up with the PX 7c3 snd the 7d3.
Delivered with an RBZ TP tip for just on 200 bucks.

Any love for these?

Captain Nemo
31st July 2012, 08:00 PM
Nice shafts but you may be able to source them locally and save some coin?

RobNewy
31st July 2012, 08:10 PM
Cheers Titleist. I assumed that was a reasonable price. Will see what i can find

Captain Nemo
31st July 2012, 08:12 PM
Realistically shaft around $120 for a pull and new sleeves are only $30....
You could reuse the sleeve you have?

RobNewy
31st July 2012, 08:13 PM
Is there an aus shop that has resonable prices?

Captain Nemo
31st July 2012, 08:15 PM
?
Post a wanted ad and source a sleeve off Virge?

KristianJ
31st July 2012, 08:17 PM
Realistically shaft around $120 for a pull and new sleeves are only $30....
You could reuse the sleeve you have?

And possibly less for a 7C3 pull...they pop up here in the Pro Shop occasionally (either with or without 910 tips) for very decent prices, given that they're a stock 910 offering.

If it has a 910 tip, have that pulled and sell it.

RobNewy
31st July 2012, 08:31 PM
Cheers guys. Again.

Will do that soon

3oneday
31st July 2012, 09:57 PM
$200 delivered is pretty good for a quality shaft already set up, at least you know there's nothing dodgy under the grip or the tip.

Puji
1st August 2012, 08:28 AM
Hey Rob,

Book me in for a round the following weekend, whatever time suits you (91467), either Saturday or Sunday. We can meet a little earlier and I'm happy for you to give the VTS a bash. My model is the 6S Silver - 66grams, medium torque.

I've seen Rob's swing a few times. I would say he swings it 100 - 105mph with a quick transition. From what I noticed, ball flight was a little lower than average.

I can't talk highly enough of the VTS, but I think it was me finding a great fluke via trial and error.

Get rid of the Nunchuk.

Puji
1st August 2012, 08:30 AM
Rob: oh and also if you were thinking of getting a VTS shaft, I want one to go in my 3 wood: so we could maybe save on postage!

RobNewy
1st August 2012, 09:40 AM
Puji, will do so when i can. May not be playing this weekend and Gillespie Cup next weekend.
Will have to catch up soon.

My driving has got considerably better since the last te we had a hit. Be interesting to hear your observations on it since then

Puji
1st August 2012, 01:11 PM
Sounds good buddy.

If you ever want to have a hit at the range (Albert Park) let me know also.

any reason why your not going back to TPG/TGP to get fit again?

RobNewy
1st August 2012, 01:55 PM
No reason at all Puji.
Great guys, just trying to keep the costs down.
Im going to Barnbougle and lost farm in october. 4 rounds of golf, bucketloads of piss, going to be expensive