PDA

View Full Version : Golfers Elbow

Bushka
30th July 2012, 11:54 AM
Apparently im getting it, have been working like a dog for a long time now and though i stretch pretty regularly since i started getting my swing to a better place compressing the ball and working my right wrist angle a lot with drills im starting to get very tender and sore on my right fore arm muscles and the right elbow.

I had an old digger come into the office today who gave me a firm hand shake and it actually hurt to squeeze his hand back.

I've started icing this thing up the last few days, but considering how compulsively i've been practicing the past few months i'm not keen to completely give it all away for any length of time.

Has anyone had this issue before? Tried to work through it? Had any luck treatment wise? Did you stop playing completely for a period of time or did you still practice say putting without it exacerbating the issue?

I don't want to end up with a chronic thing or explode my tendon or something nuts. Have put a lot of work in and my game is JUST starting to round into something nice very pissed if this sets me back too far practice wise.

Johnny Canuck
30th July 2012, 11:56 AM
Going through it now. I can perform any exercise in the gym, but can't shake hands.

I bought a compression band from the UK. Definitely helps. Can post link tonight.

Jarro
30th July 2012, 11:59 AM
Those bands are fantastic !!

I used one at work for a while when i had a bad case of golfers elbow and it worked a treat.

Bushka
30th July 2012, 11:59 AM
That would be awesome JC.

razaar
30th July 2012, 12:10 PM
Listen to your body, stop doing the action that causes pain. Allow it to rest and heal, then learn the correct action of the right arm in the golf swing. Your body is telling you that your technique is flawed.

Bushka
30th July 2012, 01:07 PM
I completely get where you are coming from Raz and to a degree i think you are on the money. It's going to require backing off the practice regime on my part.

As to the technique i guess thats the more puzzling issue.

I changed something fundamental and then hit ten thousand balls a day (not really but a lot) and constantly drilled the action in slow swinging a club using the muscles in a very new way. It was obviously wrong before as evidenced by my previous results, now i'm getting much much better results, better distance (consistent distances across my clubs), a nice penetrating ball flight, ......and a bloody sore arm. So yeah, it's probably still wrong, but it could also be me over working a part of my body that was only ever lightly used previously.

I don't doubt my technique is flawed, i start very much from a position of "i know nothing" these days and go from there. I think rest is in order regardless and i can then if it starts up again i know i'm in the poo.

razaar
30th July 2012, 01:15 PM
Bush, when your arm is healed drop me a pm and I will run you through the correct way to use your arms so that the right unwinds during the downswing, not wind up during the downswing when every movement is performed at speed.

Bushka
30th July 2012, 01:20 PM
sounds like a plan mate :) will do

virge666
30th July 2012, 01:57 PM
Listen to your body, stop doing the action that causes pain. Allow it to rest and heal, then learn the correct action of the right arm in the golf swing. Your body is telling you that your technique is flawed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This.

Bushka
30th July 2012, 02:26 PM
my body tells me it wants a shag a steak and a good lie down

Stuartd147
30th July 2012, 05:14 PM
I have the same symptons...Raz, can I please join in and participate in the PM lessons too...Stu

davepuppies
30th July 2012, 06:27 PM
My left elbow gets aggravated from golf, however I am certain this is from my serious bodybuilding days......

Mine is more the joint, and a portion of the connective tissue of the tricep.

xe1
30th July 2012, 08:39 PM
Did you hit a bunch of balls of old worn out matts = golfers elbow

Bushka
30th July 2012, 08:55 PM
I wore through the matt virge gave me in several spots but it really started only recently when I began practicing a directly downward move to begin transition while maintaining the same wrist angle and hOlding it, I just did that one move a zillion times with my special breed of dogmatic autism and would you believe it's ****ed my elbow :)

razaar
30th July 2012, 08:58 PM
My left elbow gets aggravated from golf, however I am certain this is from my serious bodybuilding days......

Mine is more the joint, and a portion of the connective tissue of the tricep.Mate, some of us have been down the same path with b/b. I remember tearing a shoulder from chins with 2 plates hanging from the waste, one rep too many. Never had an issue with it in golf because of good technique. To enjoy injury free golf, good technique is a must. The problem is finding somebody who can show you where you are going wrong.

davepuppies
30th July 2012, 09:13 PM
Mate, some of us have been down the same path with b/b. I remember tearing a shoulder from chins with 2 plates hanging from the waste, one rep too many. Never had an issue with it in golf because of good technique. To enjoy injury free golf, good technique is a must. The problem is finding somebody who can show you where you are going wrong.
Yep, I would agree with that....
Whilst I have worked with several pros, most try to get me to traditional positions which is quite hard with either my lack of flexibility, or my muscle mass.
I understand and accept for me to play reasonable golf I must take my upper body out of the downswing and trust my legs and hips to generate enough club head speed.

I did this 2 years ago, and got down to 2 and played major pennants.

I am chopping off 8 and very inconsistent now.

dave1
30th July 2012, 10:23 PM
injuries are part of sport, tennis elbow and golfers elbow are like an RSI injury where constant repetition causes the injury - not poor technique

I had a neck injury last year (not an RSI injury though)

Rest, acupuncture (I swear by it) and light resistance work and Flexil (pain relief gel that heats the area then followed by heat packs) - after ten weeks I was back on deck.

recovering from injury takes patience because we want to get back fast. Injury can be caused by poor technique in sport but in golf theres so many different swing types. A perfect swing like Adam Scott is no more prone to injury than a Jim Furyk style swing

Johnny Canuck
30th July 2012, 10:26 PM
Going through it now. I can perform any exercise in the gym, but can't shake hands.

I bought a compression band from the UK. Definitely helps. Can post link tonight.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/F3-Golfers-Golf-Elbow-Support-Strap-Pressure-Point-Pad-/180836558886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a1ab2e826#ht_3493wt_1037

Well worth it for the price.

BenM
30th July 2012, 10:38 PM
Inside of right elbow is where I've had it - and it took me a good 3 or 4 weeks before I felt like I could swing a club again. In my case it was just overuse that did it, after not playing much for years, trying to play 18+ holes every day while I had a month off work, it only took about 10 days to go bad.

If it's the same thing I would try to rest it and not play until you're definitely ready. Use anti-inflammatory creams and possibly deep heat type stuff to relieve pain. I never tried a brace but that could definitely help to keep it warm etc..

razaar
30th July 2012, 11:49 PM
Yep, I would agree with that....
Whilst I have worked with several pros, most try to get me to traditional positions which is quite hard with either my lack of flexibility, or my muscle mass.
I understand and accept for me to play reasonable golf I must take my upper body out of the downswing and trust my legs and hips to generate enough club head speed.

I did this 2 years ago, and got down to 2 and played major pennants.

I am chopping off 8 and very inconsistent now.
If you have pain then your game will suffer. Check your elbow positions in the takeaway and into the downswing. Both elbows should be pointing in towards the body when they are in front of the body and towards the ground other wise. The lead elbow should never point towards the target because it engages muscles in the joint to keep the arm extended, which aren't required with the elbow turned in.

Bushka
31st July 2012, 07:11 AM
Wonderful response guys thanks heaps I'm going to grab that compression band JC cheers and give myself a rest from practice till it heals up. Then see if I can hit once it's calmed down without inflaming it again may have to make some changes

Hawkers2008
2nd August 2012, 09:35 PM
get youself some decent meds - maybe try indocid

Peppas
6th May 2013, 07:57 AM
Any more tips? I think I am getting it in my left elbow :( Woke up this morning with a bit of pain in it when I straighten it...

Bushka
6th May 2013, 08:38 AM
does it hurt when you shake hands or grip something really hard?

Mine still flares up (just happened after moving house), but is manageable now days with certain exercises. No longer need to wear any form of brace.

Peppas
6th May 2013, 08:55 AM
does it hurt when you shake hands or grip something really hard?

Mine still flares up (just happened after moving house), but is manageable now days with certain exercises. No longer need to wear any form of brace.

No pain doing that at all mate, just got a gripp it ball in front of me and squeezed as hard as I could but no pain at all... just a bit of pain in it when I fully straighten it and if I rub the point of my elbow I guess.

All my other stuff I was messaging you about earlier in the year was actually for my other arm haha :)

Leftfoot75
6th May 2013, 09:06 AM
Rest is the best cure, I would recommend my accupuncturist as well but he is based in Ermington - it helped with the recovery big time.

Johnny Canuck
6th May 2013, 12:15 PM
Fish oil.

Peppas
6th May 2013, 12:37 PM
Fish oil.

Are you serious or you trying to Zig me again?

Johnny Canuck
6th May 2013, 02:31 PM
Serious. I was chomping.6 ibuprofen per pennant match last year. I started taking fish oil, it went away.

Peppas
6th May 2013, 02:35 PM
Serious. I was chomping.6 ibuprofen per pennant match last year. I started taking fish oil, it went away.

Are you serious or are you having a laugh?

Are you going to try and sell me a ring next?

Peppas
6th May 2013, 02:36 PM
Ok fish oil tablets or what?

Johnny Canuck
6th May 2013, 02:39 PM
Dead serious. I had it in both elbows. I actually started I thread on it.

Ask our resident Pharmacist, Lobby, he'll confirm.

Peppas
6th May 2013, 02:41 PM
Dead serious. I had it in both elbows. I actually started I thread on it.

Ask our resident Pharmacist, Lobby, he'll confirm.

I will return after searching the forum for this thread :)

Peppas
6th May 2013, 02:42 PM
OK you don't lie

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/31099-Fish-oil-pills.?highlight=

Sorry JC :)

Johnny Canuck
6th May 2013, 03:21 PM
No probs, Pecker.

Love Uncle Zig.

razaar
6th May 2013, 03:23 PM
Just a suggestion that has helped me with tendinitis in the forearms etc, is to work the tender areas over a foam roller. A rolling pin will do the same job. Don't forget to do wrist stretching exercises as part of the treatment. There are plenty of them on the Net, including foam roller exercises for the various parts of the body. The foam roller is almost a must for golfers.

Peppas
6th May 2013, 07:51 PM
Thanks Ray, I got a stick for that, so I'll keep doing that and stretching and massaging the forearms where I've had pain and tightness previously. See how it goes.

Just getting on the fish oil train, just bought 600 of them. that should last me for about 100 days if I do the recommended dosage, HA!

live4golf
6th May 2013, 07:56 PM
Hahahaha JC, can you believe Peppas trusted you enough on that whole fish oil thing. These PM's are an awesome feature....oh wait, shi....

Peppas
6th May 2013, 08:05 PM
Hahahaha JC, can you believe Peppas trusted you enough on that whole fish oil thing. These PM's are an awesome feature....oh wait, shi....

Unca Zig got me again!?