PDA

View Full Version : Liesl Jones

simmsy
26th July 2012, 09:48 AM
Why anytime someone speaks out about a female figure is it blown up to be a beat up on the female in question.

No one can sit there and say LJ looks at her fighting weight. Now I've watched her for her whole career and she has been great but I doubt she is in supreme condition. Hopefully she comes out and shoves it up all of us that think she's in avg condition.

Now what really gives me the shits is how this becomes a massive thing simply because it's a woman. Nothing is made of this when it's a bloke who is told he is fat. Michael Walters was banished from the Dockers for not meeting the skin fold parameters in preseason was not allowed to even train at the dockers until he got his weight back to the correct levels. Nobody came out saying how wrong that is to say simply because he is male.

I hope LJ wins a medal, but no one can say she has got her body in the best condition she could, like it was for Beijing.

Dotty
26th July 2012, 09:55 AM
Journalists can't think for themselves. Unlike previous big events, she is not squeezed into a fastsuit, which acted like a full-length girdle.

Webster
26th July 2012, 09:58 AM
She looks like she swallowed a tyre yard.

Will the extra lard make her float better and swim faster?

TheTrueReview
26th July 2012, 10:05 AM
Simmsy, you're spot on. The female journos are jumping on the debate and trying to shut it down. They're turning it into a gender issue. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I can't see her doing any good given the shape she's in.

Webster
26th July 2012, 10:14 AM
The proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

But what if she has already eaten all the pudding?

Ashes
26th July 2012, 10:14 AM
I feel sorry for her. She has had well documented issues with depression in the past and now has to put up with this crap...

Presumably she's had to perform to get selected?!?

kev
26th July 2012, 10:20 AM
I feel sorry for her. She has had well documented issues with depression in the past and now has to put up with this crap...

Presumably she's had to perform to get selected?!?

This.

gazgolf1
26th July 2012, 10:32 AM
This thread is useless without pics of her arse.

dc68
26th July 2012, 10:44 AM
You on the 50 inch monitor Gaz?

simmsy
26th July 2012, 10:44 AM
I don't think anyone is saying she isn't the best available for these events in this country. The media (female contingent) have got all up in arms about because someone had the balls to ask "is she in the best condition?"

My point is no one gives a shit when we call a male athlete fat we all just say put down the vanilla slice and go and work harder. Simply because soneone questioned the fitness of a female it's become this massive story. Female journalists everywhere have caused this problem. Lisa Curry Kenny said this morning she doesn't think LJ looks her best.

Pieface
26th July 2012, 10:45 AM
Fat people are pretty much the only targets that the PC crowd haven't ruled off limits for bigots to air their opinion on.

Go Liesel! Hope she sticks it up everyone.

She may not look in "immaculate condition" - whatever deranged social value that currently is - but hey she's in her fourth dig for Australia, that's 16+ years representing her country at the highest level. She made the time to qualify and that is all that should matter.

simmsy
26th July 2012, 10:48 AM

Sorry just off my phone.

Jarro
26th July 2012, 10:50 AM
She looks like she's up the duff !!

Pieface
26th July 2012, 10:55 AM
The buoyant bodysuits have been banished. This is the winged keel concept of 2012. Aussie ingenuity at it's finest.

Moe Norman
26th July 2012, 10:55 AM
if she carries the flag, she could then fold it up and wear it as a revealing bikini afterwards.

simmsy
26th July 2012, 10:57 AM
I hope she wins a medal and I will leave it at that

sms316
26th July 2012, 10:59 AM
I wish I was that fat.

gazgolf1
26th July 2012, 11:03 AM
Plenty of buoyancy....cheating?

Webster
26th July 2012, 11:52 AM
I wish I was that fat.

SITD?

sms316
26th July 2012, 12:12 PM
SITD? Take your marks?

sol381
26th July 2012, 12:47 PM
If she is in fact out of shape and not fully fit, which it looks like she is and doesn't get a medal or even make it to the final then she has a lot to answer for.. its not like she got selected last week,, she's had years to prepare for this and if you don't come into the games at peak fitness then there is something terribly wrong and she needs to explain whats going on. What has her coach been doing letting her get that way. time will tell i guess.

sol381
26th July 2012, 12:49 PM
double post

TheTrueReview
26th July 2012, 01:01 PM
... she's had years to prepare for this and if you don't come into the games at peak fitness then there is something terribly wrong and she needs to explain whats going on. What has her coach been doing letting her get that way. time will tell i guess.

It was reported a few days ago that coaching staff have been frustrated with her condition. Now the female journos have attacked the story on gender grounds, it's been snuffed. You can bet if she fails, there's some warm & fuzzy treatment of her lack of condition and justified as relating to a 'personal trauma'. Womans Day will be salivating for the story.

Captain Nemo
26th July 2012, 01:03 PM

Sorry just off my phone.

First photo is hot, id have a crack for sure....=P~

goughy
26th July 2012, 01:04 PM
If she is in fact out of shape and not fully fit, which it looks like she is and doesn't get a medal or even make it to the final then she has a lot to answer for.. its not like she got selected last week,, she's had years to prepare for this and if you don't come into the games at peak fitness then there is something terribly wrong and she needs to explain whats going on. What has her coach been doing letting her get that way. time will tell i guess.

Selection trials were 3 or 4 months ago. She was obviously fast enough then. Find us some pics from then if you want to compare. If she swims anywhere nears the times she swam in the trials then there should be no issues (I have no issues regardless of what she does). My bet is that she will better her trial time during the heats or final if she makes it. i think she is ranked I think 16th in the world for the 100 breaststroke so it's no given she's making the final let alone getting a medal. Go girl go.

dave1
26th July 2012, 01:14 PM
I reckon its great that shes at the olympics

This has gone way too far IMO

plus a bit of pud means she'll float better on top of the water :mrgreen:

I mean seriously, how the world has changed? Tony Locket kicked 1300 goals and man he was captain lard ass

non issue really

TheTrueReview
26th July 2012, 02:11 PM
Leisel Jones may very well become our "Eric the eel" of these games.

just
26th July 2012, 02:13 PM
I reckon its great that shes at the olympics

This has gone way too far IMO

plus a bit of pud means she'll float better on top of the water :mrgreen:

I mean seriously, how the world has changed? Tony Locket kicked 1300 goals and man he was captain lard ass

non issue really
FYI Benno.

Webster
26th July 2012, 02:13 PM
She might get mistaken for a whale and get eaten by the Japanese competitors (need to look closely for teeth marks)

Dotty
26th July 2012, 02:32 PM
This all could have been avoided, if Leisl's mum got medical advice off Warnie's mum.

idgolfguy
26th July 2012, 03:46 PM
1803318034Sorry just off my phone.She has no breasts for a fat chick!

WBennett
26th July 2012, 04:07 PM
Not happy Just.

I'm with Dottie on this - she isn't 18 any more, and doesn't have 3 or 4 suits to hide the wrinkles this time. I'd suggest it wasn't a great angle, but if she goes out and makes the final in her 4th Olympics, she's done fine by me.

Just another story where there are lots of media a week early with 9/10's of %$&* all to report on...

TheTrueReview
26th July 2012, 05:11 PM
I know there are a lot of current swimsuit photos doing the rounds which raised a few eyebrows. The irony for me is that 2 days ago I hadn't seen any swimsuit photos but I saw footage of her walking in a polo shirt which showed the outline of a very flabby belly. That raised my concern about her level of fitness.

idgolfguy
26th July 2012, 05:15 PM
A we now being discriminating by assuming that someone who is more or less Rubanesque cannot be professional athlete at the Olympics?

IamViva
26th July 2012, 05:37 PM
A we now being discriminating by assuming that someone who is more or less Rubanesque cannot be professional athlete at the Olympics?no, thats why there is female discuss, shot put, weightlifting etc...;)

Jarro
26th July 2012, 05:39 PM
A we now being discriminating by assuming that someone who is more or less Rubanesque cannot be professional athlete at the Olympics?

I don't think i've ever seen a female swimmer compete at the Olympics looking that big.

mudrat
26th July 2012, 05:49 PM
I don't think it matters as long as she performs to at least her qualification time.

sms316
26th July 2012, 05:53 PM
I don't think i've ever seen a female swimmer compete at the Olympics looking that big. Linley Frame?

simmsy
26th July 2012, 06:01 PM
It doesn't matter as long as she performs. It doesn't matter if she's on her 1st Oly or 7th. You are representing your country and need to go into the meet at your peak fitness or as close to it as your body allows
My original point in the op was that if it's a male athlete we can all just say pull ur head in and get to ur peak fitness.

Can u imagine if what happened to Michael Walters was played out with Liesl Jones or if Sally Pearson turned up to the Olympics looking portly?

The Leftwing Lesbo crew would be in overdrive.

Just because they're female doesn't mean they should be immune from scrutiny over their fitness levels. They are supreme athletes being paid to be there by us the tax payer.

TheTrueReview
26th July 2012, 06:43 PM
I don't think i've ever seen a female swimmer compete at the Olympics looking that big.

Precisely. The (female) media can spin it any way that want but if if looks like an unfit duck, quacks like an unfit duck, it's an unfit duck.

... Just because they're female doesn't mean they should be immune from scrutiny over their fitness levels. They are supreme athletes being paid to be there by us the tax payer.

I recall the media coverage about 3 years ago of the Thorpedo when he'd put on weight & he went off to LA to train & try and get fit. Same when Geoff Huegell porked out. Not a peep from the media about gender issues as in the current kerfuffle.

3oneday
26th July 2012, 06:50 PM
Does she really owe anymore than she's given thus far ?

Sorry, I reckon she should be left alone, she's a legend at age 26.

timah!
26th July 2012, 06:56 PM

This. She has been a part of a group of swimmers who have put Aussie swimming on the map.
If she's good enough to be there then end of story.

Jarro
26th July 2012, 07:03 PM
I have nothing against her at all, and i hope she kicks arse and smashes world records and grabs a bagful of medals .... but ..... i'd like to know if she is in peak condition or not ?

Not having a go ... just curious.

Shadesy
26th July 2012, 07:04 PM
This. She has been a part of a group of swimmers who have put Aussie swimming on the map.
If she's good enough to be there then end of story.

Trials were 4 months ago.. is she good enough to compete Today?

If not, then regardless of her record, a better, hungrier swimmer who is prepared should be their...simple.

Jarro
26th July 2012, 07:06 PM
Linley Frame?

She never looked fat when she was competing ..... just big boned.

timah!
26th July 2012, 07:10 PM
Who knows? I guess we'll find out when her time comes to race ;)

hocko
26th July 2012, 07:11 PM

Being 26 doesn't give anyone the right to be unfit for competition.

Jarro
26th July 2012, 07:11 PM
Who knows? I guess we'll find out when her time comes to race ;)

True

And i'll be cheering for her too :)

dc68
26th July 2012, 07:12 PM
Trials were 4 months ago.. is she good enough to compete Today?If not, then regardless of her record, a better, hungrier swimmer who is prepared should be their...simple. A hungrier swimmer.... As if.

timah!
26th July 2012, 07:17 PM
Being 26 doesn't give anyone the right to be unfit for competition.

Who says she's unfit?

razaar
26th July 2012, 07:19 PM
Damn you lads are harsh. IMO criticism should be directed at our Olympic administrators/selectors. The modern Olympics is one huge marketing project.

3oneday
26th July 2012, 07:35 PM
Being 26 doesn't give anyone the right to be unfit for competition.question is, when does the swimming start ? should she be at peak fitness for the media as she boards the plane ? Will she lose weight on the trip over, and when she steps back into it over the next week (or 2 or 3?).

It's really just media etc putting the standard negative spin on anything/everything. Is it any wonder the world is full of weirdos.

Webster
26th July 2012, 07:36 PM
Damn you lads are harsh. IMO criticism should be directed at our Olympic administrators/selectors.

Have they been stuffing donuts down her throat??

Eldrick
26th July 2012, 07:39 PM
Trials were 4 months ago.. is she good enough to compete Today?

If not, then regardless of her record, a better, hungrier swimmer who is prepared should be their...simple.

She would be swimming hundreds of Klm a week. I figure her coach and swimming Australia know how far off her best she is.

razaar
26th July 2012, 08:06 PM
Have they been stuffing donuts down her throat??Is dunking donuts an official sponsor? She is probably carrying fluid.

dave1
26th July 2012, 08:22 PM
This all could have been avoided, if Leisl's mum got medical advice off Warnie's mum.

:mrgreen: or maybe chosen a different event like Greeko Roman Wrestling :wink:

Webster
26th July 2012, 08:27 PM
Maybe when she jumps into the water it will create a huge tsunami wave which will wash all her competition out of the pool, ensuring an easy win? Good thinking Leisl.

dave1
26th July 2012, 08:29 PM
well you gotta have a plan

LarryLong
26th July 2012, 09:11 PM
Maybe she's setting herself for this event?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8YSKc6pgc

Hamo84
26th July 2012, 10:18 PM

Totally agree.... I hope she does well and proves the doubters wrong

Marto65
27th July 2012, 08:02 AM
I hope Leisl swims well and wins a medal.

Having said that, it's pretty obvious she's not in the best shape of her life.

I would have thought that when you put your hand up to go to the Olympics, that it is a full time commitment.

Thats commitment to training. Commitment to diet. Commitment to the people that paid her way there ... ie. The Taxpayer.

Her performance in the pool will tell the story ...

dave1
27th July 2012, 09:12 AM
I coudnt care less if she wins or loses.

In a month we'll have forgotten

kpac
27th July 2012, 11:16 AM
You could work that off her....

If she's into that of-coarse.

TheTrueReview
27th July 2012, 01:16 PM
I hope Leisl swims well and wins a medal.

Having said that, it's pretty obvious she's not in the best shape of her life.

I would have thought that when you put your hand up to go to the Olympics, that it is a full time commitment.

Thats commitment to training. Commitment to diet. Commitment to the people that paid her way there ... ie. The Taxpayer.

Her performance in the pool will tell the story ...

+ 1.

I can’t understand the flaming reaction to discussion about Leisel Jones’s current state of fitness. I hope she wins gold by two lengths.

That doesn’t meant that discussions can’t be had or concerns can’t be raised about the plainly obvious. It is what it is.

http://www.takepart.com/sites/default/files/styles/tp_content_wide/public/Leisel.jpeg

goughy
30th July 2012, 07:14 AM
In the final and beat her times from the selection trials. Go girl.

Hamo84
30th July 2012, 08:15 AM
excellent, good to hear.

fingers crossed she gets a medal.

Jarro
30th July 2012, 08:20 AM
Great result !!

just imagine how well she would've done if she wasn't a fatty poomba :roll:

TheTrueReview
30th July 2012, 08:38 AM
Great result !!

just imagine how well she would've done if she wasn't a fatty poomba :roll:

Now, that is funny!! :lol:

idgolfguy
30th July 2012, 09:41 AM
It's the new look. Perhaps the Men's should be reviewing their approach to preparation.

Captain Nemo
30th July 2012, 09:54 AM
It's the new look. Perhaps the Men's should be reviewing their approach to preparation.
N
+1
More schooners and pies....

mike
30th July 2012, 12:42 PM
Athletes get funded by the taxpayer to prepare for the olympics. How much that is I'm not sure, but it appears Leisl spent it all on Tim Tams.

sms316
30th July 2012, 12:56 PM
Leisel

Peter
30th July 2012, 02:51 PM
Leisel
I've assumed that this has been a deliberate attempt to get Henno back.

Dotty
30th July 2012, 03:34 PM
Leisel
Going by the pictures, it looks more like Deisel.

damoocow
30th July 2012, 04:56 PM
I for one will be watching the Final with interest - it will be the first time a competitor has ever given birth during a race...

TheNuclearOne
30th July 2012, 04:59 PM
Hopefully she will give birth to a medal, preferably gold.

Jarro
30th July 2012, 05:00 PM
Hopefully she will give borth to a medal, preferably gold.

Looks like there's a decent swag of them in there :shock:

TheNuclearOne
30th July 2012, 05:07 PM
looks like there's a decent swag of them in there :shock:

lolol!

3oneday
30th July 2012, 05:08 PM
Looks like there's a decent swag of them in there :shock:Those choccy ones with gold foil?

Jarro
30th July 2012, 05:09 PM
Those choccy ones with gold foil?

:smt045 :wink:

TheNuclearOne
30th July 2012, 05:15 PM
http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/918/goldcoins100g.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/goldcoins100g.jpg/)

goughy
4th August 2012, 09:24 AM
For all the bagging of her, she swam at or faster than the times she did at the national titles/selection trials. How many others in the team can say that? There would be a few I'm guessing who were off of the times they swam then. So regardless, it seems that her training regime may have been the better one?

Saw curry-kenny, baldy, and reilly talking yesterday and they mentioned how much gym work etc is done by the team these days. Maybe more time swimming could have been our answer? Seemed to work years ago!

TheNuclearOne
4th August 2012, 09:38 AM
For all the bagging of her, she swam at or faster than the times she did at the national titles/selection trials. How many others in the team can say that? There would be a few I'm guessing who were off of the times they swam then. So regardless, it seems that her training regime may have been the better one?

The flipside might be that she so far overweight and further from her best than the others (who were fitter and already close to primed) that she had much more room for (fast) improvement. If she kept training for a peak time she might well go faster again in a months time.

TheTrueReview
4th August 2012, 01:25 PM
The flipside might be that she so far overweight and further from her best than the others (who were fitter and already close to primed) that she had much more room for (fast) improvement. If she kept training for a peak time she might well go faster again in a months time.

I agree with that proposition. Kudos to Jones for her times but unfortunately the Olympics isn't a kiddies sports day where everyone gets a ribbon for just competing. Nor is it some sort of Contiki Tour aimed at rewarding retiring Olympians for past glories. It's all about winning. Our much hyped swim team who were touted as being part of a two horse race with the USA has fallen way short. There will be an almighty post-mortem following the Olympics. I can see the press headlines once the Olympics are over; something to the effect of "What the heck happened?".

goughy
4th August 2012, 01:55 PM
I have no issues with her. She did what she wanted to do and was good enough to make the team. And swam her event better than the other aussie. I'm more interested in the other training techniques used by all the other swimmers, as so many seem to have performed below their expected. And many it sounds below what they were doing 3 or 4 months ago. The 'what happened' has started as a 'what the' but I reckon there will be plenty of big questions asked of individuals, coaches, and programs (if they have a high performance program etc). In the media it will be all smiles and this happens, that happens etc, but behind closed doors it'll be duelling time. Heads rolling and all. Our only gold coming from and event we didn't 'expect' to win (not that we were ever out with a chance). Enjoy your time at the games, because I reckon when they get back it won't be a fun time to be a coach or member of the high performance program.

Edit: just read that 2/3's of the team failed to improve on their times since the trials, with many several seconds behind what they were doing then. Someone's gonna get a butt kicking.

Captain Nemo
4th August 2012, 02:29 PM
Looks like the trials are too early perhaps?

goughy
4th August 2012, 03:23 PM
Incorrect tapering?

TheNuclearOne
4th August 2012, 06:11 PM
Would it be fair to criticise the press for putting unrealistic expections of the swimmers into our heads? I'm wondering if the press had their finger on the pulse. I don't follow swimming much but either the press talked a whole lot of shyte about how good our swimmers were (in comparison to others countries and as medal chances) or they underperformed dramatically.

Webster
4th August 2012, 06:43 PM
or they underperformed dramatically.

This.

Jarro
4th August 2012, 06:47 PM
Would it be fair to criticise the press for putting unrealistic expections of the swimmers into our heads? I'm wondering if the press had their finger on the pulse. I don't follow swimming much but either the press talked a whole lot of shyte about how good our swimmers were (in comparison to others countries and as medal chances) or they underperformed dramatically.

I don't know that the press are totally to blame in this instance.

The swimmers themselves pumped their own tyres up quite a bit in the leadup to these games.

TheNuclearOne
4th August 2012, 06:49 PM
Cheers guys, a few of us had a good discussion at golf today on this one. None of us followed swimming enough to be sure.

TheNuclearOne
5th August 2012, 10:12 AM
Super swim by Jones and yet another silver for us. We are coming about 19th overall and 4th for silver.

TheTrueReview
5th August 2012, 10:23 AM
We are coming about 19th overall and 4th for silver.

Very bitter sweet.

sms316
5th August 2012, 10:27 AM
1 gold clear of Nauru.

goughy
5th August 2012, 11:07 AM
But look at our silver count!

But I guess, second place is the first loser. Still find it funny our only gold was in a race we weren't expected to win.