PDA

View Full Version : The thing that irks me about the NRL is....

Fishman Dan
3rd October 2005, 08:40 PM
The mid-season trade period. I think it's sad that several players contracts are pre-determined before the end of the season to go to other clubs or pissing off to SuperLeague.

It has robbed several Tigers the chance of possibly creating a dynasty - same can be said for the Cowboys with players like Rauhihi going over to SuperLeague.

Get rid of the mid-season trade period, and this anti-tampering crap... simply doesn't work. I hate hearing about who's going to the Roosters mid-season.

goughy
3rd October 2005, 09:33 PM
Gotta agree with ya there fishy. There's enough time for these guys to sort it out off season. I don't think there should be any moving of players mid season at all. Re-signing to your current club is ok. But I spose if you stop some of it you have to stop all of it.

Fishman Dan
3rd October 2005, 09:37 PM
I just saw the O'Neil's, Elford's, Rauhihi's.. and they don't get to ponder another shot next year now that this year is all said and done. They talk about life-long bonds from Grand Final appearances (and wins), but moments later the team is dismantled.

Courty
3rd October 2005, 09:53 PM
Why do they have to be different? Every other sport sorts this crap out in the off-season.

The other thing that irks me is the scrum. Fix it, or f%#k it off.

mike
3rd October 2005, 09:57 PM
The only thing AFL has going for it is the draft.

Excellent idea. I wish the league boys did it.

3oneday
4th October 2005, 06:22 AM
It has robbed several Tigers the chance of possibly creating a dynasty - same can be said for the Cowboys with players like Rauhihi going over to SuperLeague.

Get rid of the mid-season trade period, and this anti-tampering crap... simply doesn't work. I hate hearing about who's going to the Roosters mid-season.No team can ever create a dynasty again, the more they win the more they "deserve" to get paid, the less opportunity there becomes to keep the players, and do it legally. A dynasty is a pipe dream, simply won't happen.

I think you will also find it is the players who prefer the mid season trade, as it gives them time to sort out their lives. Which to me is fair enough, if it stops folks from watching the game..... well, I doubt it.

Pete

Toolish
4th October 2005, 07:18 AM
The worst thing about the NRL is that the cheerleaders are shown less than the players....we all know that real guys would much rather watch hot women in not many clothes than guys running head long into each other!! :lol:

Jarro
4th October 2005, 07:35 AM
i'd also like to see the NRL exclude players, who have been with the same club for 10 years, from the salary cap.

I agree with the draft too, it's the only way to make the comp even.

gazgolf1
4th October 2005, 07:37 AM
What irks me is most League players can't string two words together. :lol:

Jarro
4th October 2005, 07:54 AM
What irks me is most League players can't string two words together. :lol:

good thing they're not paid to do public speaking 'eh Gaz :wink:

AndyP
4th October 2005, 08:39 AM
i'd also like to see the NRL exclude players, who have been with the same club for 10 years, from the salary cap.
50% of a 10 year veteran's salary counts towards the salary cap in the AFL. The club is allowed to nominate two veterans, if eligible.

NRL has more of a poaching system in place, as opposed to the trading system in the AFL.
I've got no idea how youngsters get into the system in the NRL, but the AFL uses the draft with the better picks in the draft generally going to the club that finishes lower on the ladder (unless the picks have been traded).

As to the mid-season signings to other clubs, I can't see how a player can be completely devoted to the club he is playing for, if he knows he is heading elsewhere the next season. :?

Courty
4th October 2005, 09:17 AM
As to the mid-season signings to other clubs, I can't see how a player can be completely devoted to the club he is playing for, if he knows he is heading elsewhere the next season.  :?

Just ask Pat Richards or Paul Rauhihi... :wink:

But seriously, those two are extreme examples. I agree with your assessment in the vast majority of instances.

Fishman Dan
4th October 2005, 05:52 PM
I was also pretty stunned to see the number of people going abroad to play next year, and some of the names.