PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks they are a good putter?

popper81
17th July 2012, 07:06 PM
Working on a putting drill at the moment that is a total mind warp... I dare say some people will have no problems with this and others (like me) will want to pull there hair out.

What is required
1 putter
Golf balls
steel ruler ( 1m in length)
1 Putting stroke (preferrably something have decent)

Ok, simple... all you do is putt the balls along the ruler with out them falling off either side... sounds easy, but it is not the case unless you have a perfect stroke..

My miss is left, always left... Have been mucking about with it for a couple days, and have got a little better but not much. The big plus is, played a few holes this arvo, and the hole looked as big as bucket compared to the little ruler.

Thought I would chuck it out, and see if anyone else is doing it? and what everyone's thoughts are on this type drill.....

3oneday
17th July 2012, 07:19 PM
How do you know the ground you are on is level ? or shouldn't that matter?

popper81
17th July 2012, 07:23 PM
You are right to a degree....I have done it on the putting green, and it a few different places in my lounge room hoping my stroke is better than what it shows..... It is not ;)

dc68
17th July 2012, 07:49 PM
Impossible to get a flat enough surface.

PeteyD
17th July 2012, 07:54 PM
chalk line would be better. Or a boomerang. You need to hit it straight to work the boomerang.

Dotty
17th July 2012, 07:54 PM
Then use a piece of Hot Wheel track.

popper81
17th July 2012, 07:55 PM

You hit it at speed......not thumped but not enough for it turn a mile... it is a good drill, you can tell when you hit a good putt, and it just rolls, end over end..

popper81
17th July 2012, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=PeteyD;826841]chalk line would be better. Or a boomerang. You need to hit it straight to work the boomerang.[/QUOTE

Boomerang is hole width...

Chalk line is good, but the bll doesn't fall off as such... the falling off is the bit that breaks your heart :)

IamViva
17th July 2012, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=PeteyD;826841]chalk line would be better. Or a boomerang. You need to hit it straight to work the boomerang.[/QUOTE

Boomerang is hole width...

Chalk line is good, but the bll doesn't fall off as such... the falling off is the bit that breaks your heart :)
chris gibson had me doing this drill awhile ago, but instead of a ruler it was a 1.5m piece of 20x20mm aluminium square box. it can be frustrating but i did see improvement through persistence but with my shitty back i didnt do it all that often

PeteyD
17th July 2012, 08:16 PM
Boomerang doesn't work unless you hit it right in the middle

I like the 20x20 idea

muldude
17th July 2012, 08:54 PM
Gawd....I just have a couple beers before I head out which smooooths out the putting stroke !

Jono
17th July 2012, 09:04 PM
Here's something similar.

http://www.yesgolf.co.uk/item_551.htm

I've seen yard sticks with groove down the middle so a purely struck putter stays in the groove.

LeftyHoges
17th July 2012, 10:26 PM
I'm a good putter, and I don't need no stinkin ruler to prove it.

popper81
17th July 2012, 10:33 PM
I'm a good putter, and I don't need no stinkin ruler to prove it.

Hahaha... Lessons available?

oncewasagolfer
17th July 2012, 10:37 PM
Had 23 putts today no ruler for me:)

popper81
17th July 2012, 11:56 PM
Nice... You must have misses way to many greens;)

I have turned putting into a massive mind %#^*!!! I need to do something, as it has gone backwards something shocking, and is really starting to make me wonder.... Tried this, thought other might enjoy it...

LeftyHoges
18th July 2012, 01:06 AM
Hahaha... Lessons available? First lesson. Basic fundamentals will get you a long way. The weirdest stroke in the world will get you all the way if it repeats. People here may disagree but to me putting is 25% science, 75% art form. It pains me to admit that but the sooner you can accept it and make it work for you the better.Now go stroke that putter my pupil.

razaar
18th July 2012, 12:09 PM
Popper a better drill would be to lift the ruler one foot off the ground and let the shaft run along the ruler. Most of golf is about swing plane, that is the swing plane for putting. The shaft stays on a straight back and through plane, while the head arcs horizontally and vertically. The jig is named a putting rail.

Puji
18th July 2012, 01:43 PM
razaar:

How can the head go straight back/through and the head arcs horizontally and vertically?

That sounds like trouble, from my understanding. I thought the shaft moves on an arc as well - hence why a lot of putting aids have that curve to it.

I am sure I am wrong, but keen to understand this.

razaar
18th July 2012, 02:54 PM
The shaft works up and down the rail and because the shaft is on an incline the toe of the putter arcs horizontally and the base of the putter arcs vertically. Give it a trial and watch the head. The shaft goes straight back and through, the head follows the shaft of course.

dave1
18th July 2012, 11:02 PM
I dont practice hitting on flat surfaces - our greens aren't flat!

I try to practice so it replicates comp play.

One ball - putt it till its in the hole - various distances. Try to 2 putt as many in a row.

My best 27 in a row without a 3 putt.

Am I good putter - dont know really. Ok I think

Eldrick
18th July 2012, 11:12 PM
would a shorted tape measure also work?

MegaWatty
19th July 2012, 01:44 AM
I dont practice hitting on flat surfaces - our greens aren't flat! I try to practice so it replicates comp play.One ball - putt it till its in the hole - various distances. Try to 2 putt as many in a row. My best 27 in a row without a 3 putt. Am I good putter - dont know really. Ok I think Every putt starts out as a straight putt and Dr Bob is crying that you try to two putt everything.

oncewasagolfer
19th July 2012, 09:35 AM
I try and make everything but that's just me.

sms316
19th July 2012, 09:48 AM
Every putt starts out as a straight putt and Dr Bob is crying that you try to two putt everything. MegaWAnker, give yourself an infringement point for quoting a post made by someone whom several people have on ignore.

popper81
19th July 2012, 09:50 AM
The shaft works up and down the rail and because the shaft is on an incline the toe of the putter arcs horizontally and the base of the putter arcs vertically. Give it a trial and watch the head. The shaft goes straight back and through, the head follows the shaft of course.

I do this drill a bit at home... Use my dining room chairs as props. I haven't come up with anything to hold the shaft stable enough at the course. I may look at some tent pegs I have and see if I can bend them into a shaft holder.

I dont practice hitting on flat surfaces - our greens aren't flat!

I try to practice so it replicates comp play.

One ball - putt it till its in the hole - various distances. Try to 2 putt as many in a row.

My best 27 in a row without a 3 putt.

Am I good putter - dont know really. Ok I think

Do you ever one putt? From memory andyP went longer than that with no three outts on course, and somebody, maybe even lefty smashed it... 80 holes or something. Google Dr Bob Rotella, he talks about aiming at the hole every time. Why only try and two putt? What do you aim at? How do you self assess?

would a shorted tape measure also work?

Yep.

Every putt starts out as a straight putt and Dr Bob is crying that you try to two putt everything.

Strange- It is Dave1 though.

I try and make everything but that's just me.

Me too, part of my problem...

popper81
19th July 2012, 09:54 AM
I thought of you when I read that dicky...

Daves
19th July 2012, 09:55 AM
Amen brother !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjiPh0ET5Iw&feature=g-upl

Yeah, but then you need to hire Rotella to sort out the head case you will develop!

Johnny Canuck
19th July 2012, 09:57 AM
Simmsy.

Iain
19th July 2012, 09:59 AM
MegaWAnker, give yourself an infringement point for quoting a post made by someone whom several people have on ignore. He's just being a good mod and making sure you don't miss out.

chappy1970
19th July 2012, 02:10 PM
In answer to the initial question, I do sometimes

dave1
20th July 2012, 01:14 AM
Do you ever one putt? From memory andyP went longer than that with no three outts on course, and somebody, maybe even lefty smashed it... 80 holes or something. Google Dr Bob Rotella, he talks about aiming at the hole every time. Why only try and two putt? What do you aim at? How do you self assess?

Strange- It is Dave1 though.

Self assess? I try not to over analyse it. Just go as many without 3 putting.

Im in the rotella camp. Dont spend time on mechanics - just pick a spot and try hit it to that spot.

Have to make 10 before I leave

On our big practice green. Its 20 meters long

Vary the distances from 10 feet to 60 feet.

popper81
20th July 2012, 09:20 AM
Self assess? I try not to over analyse it. Just go as many without 3 putting.

Im in the rotella camp. Dont spend time on mechanics - just pick a spot and try hit it to that spot.

Have to make 10 before I leave

On our big practice green. Its 20 meters long

Vary the distances from 10 feet to 60 feet.

Trying not to 3 putt and making 10 before leaving is two totally different things... making 10 is setting goals, so you and self assessing with out knowing. ;)

dave1
20th July 2012, 10:06 AM
Probably yeah. I work on relaxing when - work on my mental game (a rotella idea)

I dont use any alignment sticks/strings and all those kind of things - because why use something that you cant use in a game?

IM sure they are useful - my putting practice is 20-30 minutes and that time is switch off time from work/kids - "stuff"

I enjoy it ...Never used to untill I simplified the session. One ball - just putt (*I do a preshot read and so forth on each putt)