PDA

View Full Version : BrisVegas

BrisVegas
3rd October 2005, 07:45 PM
http://i1.zvhost.com/1/f/fby3p9pt.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/5105858841492486/dionsep05-sideview1/)

Be kind.... :oops:

And yes, I KNOW I have a flying right elbow.... :roll: :lol:

Jarro
3rd October 2005, 07:55 PM
looks pretty smooth Dion 8)

do you have a down-the-line shot as well :?:

freddy a
3rd October 2005, 08:00 PM
very smooth iron swing would your swing speed be about 70-80mph. good transition from back to down swing. you keep your head very still as well. what iron are you using? if its a 5-pw i think your ball position may be a little too forward.

BrisVegas
3rd October 2005, 08:05 PM
http://i1.zvhost.com/1/g/gu75q549.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/4826489441492746/dionsep05-behindview1/)

From behind...

BrisVegas
3rd October 2005, 08:18 PM
pre-shot routine....

http://www.zippyvideos.com/4772437581252996/voorstellen_pat_en_ka/

Webster
3rd October 2005, 08:18 PM
Reminds me of DLIII

BrisVegas
3rd October 2005, 08:22 PM
very smooth iron swing would your swing speed be about 70-80mph. good transition from back to down swing. you keep your head very still as well. what iron are you using? if its a 5-pw i think your ball position may be a little too forward.
Cheers Freddy. Smooth is my saving grace... That was a 7 iron. It was probably in that mph range you suggested. Last time I was on a launch monitor with a 5iron it was 92 or something... must have been trying a little harder that day.

I told Andy that I wasn't too keen to video my swing, but (stupidly) relented in the end. I'm well aware how technically bad the swing is, but I've been ignoring it...

Now I wanna fix the flying elbow and the swing plane changes etc... I'm ruined!!!

goughy
3rd October 2005, 08:49 PM
I remember last year at city gc, I was putting from a few feet off the 320mtr par 4 7th green and vegas was teeing off. His drive rolled in a nice curve around me. I think he got a nice draw on it that day.

Trung
3rd October 2005, 09:54 PM
very nice Vegas... :D

Ona
3rd October 2005, 10:53 PM
which hole was he playing? :twisted:

BrisVegas
4th October 2005, 08:17 AM
Thanks again for the video file AndyP. I spent a bit of time watching it last night and noticed a lot of stuff. Some pretty obvious bad things, but a couple of good.

I'm happy with my posture and setup these days. I used to get very hunched over. I've had very few back problems in 3 years since fixing that aspect. My head is a lot steadier than it used to be and my transition is pretty smooth now. See, there's a plus side to being 100kgs.... Inertia! :wink:

I also get the club into a good position half-way down and swing through the ball on plane. It feels like I'm making solid, square contact, and I now have some visual reinforcement. More lag would be nice, but I can live with the clubhead speed I'm generating now.

I'll muck around with some backswing fixes, but can't promise anything will actually change... :roll:

AndyP
4th October 2005, 09:26 AM
Thanks again for the video file AndyP.  I spent a bit of time watching it last night and noticed a lot of stuff. Some pretty obvious bad things, but a couple of good.
No probs, mate. I hope seeing your swing hasn't damaged your confidence on the golf course.

andylo
4th October 2005, 03:39 PM
Dion, you get a "codec" problem when you upload yours (swing video)?

AndyP
6th October 2005, 04:21 PM
Where the hell is jaster's analysis and proposed solutions?  

He's slacking off.  He's had two days to do this.   :wink:

jaster
6th October 2005, 08:31 PM
I doubt I could tell Vegas anything that he doesn't already know, if he wants an analysis I can give it but he'll have to email me his swing. Zippy Videos is too small and sux sh1t as I can only view the file once and then it takes a reload to view it again
:(

BrisVegas
7th October 2005, 07:38 AM
I doubt I could tell Vegas anything that he doesn't already know

:lol: :lol: True! I know what's wrong. I've just never been able to fix it.... :roll: The one thing I do know for sure is that if my daughter ever wants to play golf, I'll be paying for her to have lessons before she comes up with her own unique style! :wink:

BrisVegas
19th January 2006, 10:34 PM
thanks to Tezza, here's a couple of pics from Willawong...

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/4959/img7881medium7tb.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1681/img7882medium2vq.jpg

Moe Norman
19th January 2006, 10:38 PM
doesn't look like you've shifted your weight much. For someone who hits it pretty long thats surprising.

BrisVegas
19th January 2006, 10:46 PM
dunno. i guess? I've always felt like I moved back and through pretty well. I tend to setup with my weight on my right side at address (with driver) and hit the ball on the up. I guess I don't really drive through like some guys. I have mass on my side, so don't have to get too aggressive. :)

Eag's
20th January 2006, 12:14 AM
Dion, I would hate to think how far you would smash it if you developed more leg drive :shock: :shock:

You might need to learn how if you go head to head with Pete with his 1.65 Smash factor :wink:

Jono
20th January 2006, 01:14 AM
Vegas has a very efficient swing where he whips the clubhead through impact. His hands travel only a short distance when the club releases from waist high on the downswing to waist high on the followthrough. I think this is where he gets his clubhead speed from.

I think if Vegas was to work on more leg drive or whatever, it might ruin some this this whipping action and actually slow him down. Better to work on achieving more consistent contact with optimal launch conditions.

JMO ...

Eag's
20th January 2006, 01:27 AM
Jono, I am not saying Dion should change anything with his swing, just making an observation mate :wink:
As they say," if it aint broke....don't fix it" :)

Jarro
20th January 2006, 06:28 AM
it's not how it looks , but rather how (and if) it works.

BrisVegas' swing certainly works 8)

Keza_G
8th March 2006, 08:52 AM
http://i1.zvhost.com/1/b/b92wzth0.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/6145638274163496/brisvegas/*kezag)

Cheers

Keza

Jarro
8th March 2006, 09:41 AM
smooth baby, smooooth :mrgreen:

Moe Norman
8th March 2006, 10:16 AM
you snapped that one vegas, where's the release?!

very smooth swing though.

JJJ
8th March 2006, 12:15 PM
Obviously wasn't a fashion shoot.

JJ

BrisVegas
8th March 2006, 01:08 PM
you snapped that one vegas, where's the release?!

very smooth swing though.

what are you on about sprayer??? :confused:

I can't view the video at work, but if it's the first hole, it was a nice solid drive down the middle. :)

actually come to think of it.... so was the next one, and the one after that, and the one after that, and the one after that, etc... My golf is boring, you wouldn't like it.

Trung
8th March 2006, 01:10 PM
simple and easy mate... nice one

Moe Norman
8th March 2006, 01:26 PM
i wasn't suggesting that it wasn't straight, when you see the vid you'll know what I mean.

sprayer is being complimentary of my driving game, but I still hit 10+ GIR every week!

Eag's
8th March 2006, 07:24 PM
Looking good Dion, great tempo :smt023

BrisVegas
8th March 2006, 07:27 PM
i wasn't suggesting that it wasn't straight, when you see the vid you'll know what I mean.

nup, I don't get what you're saying?

gazgolf1
8th March 2006, 08:35 PM
Looks nice Briz.
I'd like to see a little more shoulder turn from that front on view....looks to me like you turn to a point then lift a touch.
But I'm just a nitpicker.
Here's a photo of David Toms....I guess I just like that position at the top (far right pic)with the left shoulder behind the ball.I wish I was flexible enough to get there

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5768/tomsfaceon19lx.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Moe Norman
8th March 2006, 08:44 PM
I just mean you didn't release on the ball and didn't shift your weight for a big follow through. Its a good swing and one I'd like myself, it was merely something I noticed.

Perhaps not releasing makes it go straight and I should try it?!

BrisVegas
8th March 2006, 09:54 PM
Looks nice Briz.
I'd like to see a little more shoulder turn from that front on view....looks to me like you turn to a point then lift a touch.
But I'm just a nitpicker.

nice pickup Gaz. You're right, I only turn half-way back (and a long way inside) and then do a big lift. I've never really learned how to make a full turn. I tried it a little bit a few weeks back when Nudgee was watching me at Willawong. Obviously it felt very different and was a far bigger stretch and turn. It produced a lot more power, but was a little bit out of control. I should try it again I guess, but I'd need to devote some time (which I don't have) to practicing it.

Must say though, I got a LOT more ball speed out of it when I made a full, on-plane turn. As you'd expect I guess...

Moe Norman
8th March 2006, 11:47 PM
I tried it a little bit a few weeks back when Nudgee was watching me at Willawong. Obviously it felt very different and was a far bigger stretch and turn. It produced a lot more power, but was a little bit out of control. I should try it again I guess, but I'd need to devote some time (which I don't have) to practicing it. might I suggest that if power is the only benefit, its a change you don't need to make big fella ;)

Jono
9th March 2006, 10:12 AM
Beautiful swing ... Wish I could swing like that (no sarcasm in that comment either ... ;) ).

Moe, I don't know what you are talking about. Bris has a great release. Whilst his body is not moving that fast, he whips the clubhead through with speed.

Bris, I'd keep the swing as it is if I were you. The only minor thing I might mention is that if you get your weight more to the left side at impact, you might get the trajectory down a little. Do you tend to balloon a bit into the wind?

BrisVegas
9th March 2006, 08:50 PM
...if you get your weight more to the left side at impact, you might get the trajectory down a little. Do you tend to balloon a bit into the wind?

Yeah, good point Jono. It's interesting that I enjoy hitting driver because I can set my weight on the right side and simply slap the ball off the tee "on the up". I don't hit driver that high, about middle-of-the-road. But for the past couple of years (also since finding a driver setup that works) that I have been teeing it high and pre-setting the upwards sweep, my driver is much more consistent. I don't get the really bad sidespinning shots so much now.

Where I come unstuck is that I can't get comfortable with a more workable iron setup, ie. with my weight more to my left side, ball back in the stance, left wrist slightly cupped etc. You're right, my iron shots are relatively weak and high, as I don't hit/drive through the ball properly with a downwards, compressing action. I'll get there... I'm working on it...

BrisVegas
5th June 2007, 04:37 PM
It's been a year since I looked at this thread and funnily enough I hit my irons a lot better now (ie. more compression, more weight on left side) than I used to. The downside is that I've lost the plot with driver lately.

I think it's time I tried the drills addam suggested to tuck my right elbow into my side more, which will force me to make a better shoulder turn. I'll check back in a year with an updated swing pic.

addamsmith
5th June 2007, 05:07 PM
It's been a year since I looked at this thread and funnily enough I hit my irons a lot better now (ie. more compression, more weight on left side) than I used to. The downside is that I've lost the plot with driver lately.

I think it's time I tried the drills addam suggested to tuck my right elbow into my side more, which will force me to make a better shoulder turn. I'll check back in a year with an updated swing pic.

Dion
This is a great solid drill I added to Mark blakes post bellow your's. I tried to copy paste but with no luck
Try it if your not sure what it means or have a question give me a bell.
Addam