PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Flex

Grunt
3rd October 2005, 03:21 PM
Hi guys

? for all you equip experts out there. I am trying to work out what shaft to use in my woods. I use regular flex at the moment, but my 5 wood although being marked regular flex it is in fact stiff when it was tested at a clubmakers.
I know there is no standard for golf shaft flexes but what are the best regular flex shafts on the market at the moment. At the test he recommended Grafalloy ProLaunch 65 or 75.

andylo
3rd October 2005, 03:34 PM
You perfer ball launch higher or lower?

Grunt
3rd October 2005, 03:38 PM
I hit it pretty high as it is Andylo

andylo
3rd October 2005, 03:44 PM
budget choice: SKFiber Lite RevoII. USD$45... I just bought 2... and I probably want more so we can share shipping

TOUR choice: Accra SE80 (M3).... USD$300-lish? Ask ben.

normally ppl go green NV65. Ben raves about Irod-Fairway for a while but I never use it.

I personally find Grafalloy Blue good in driver but horrible in fairway wood, but Blue is also a low launch shaft that isn't too expensive.

If you able to find some Penley they are very damn good too. But the company is as gonner.

To me, SKFiber or Accra

McMw
3rd October 2005, 03:45 PM
get a heavier shaft....that "should" help to keep the ball lower...

Grunt
3rd October 2005, 03:49 PM
So it that case you guys recommend the 75!

andylo
3rd October 2005, 03:55 PM
I don't.

I like all my fairway wood feel head heavy. So I perfer to use 60-lish gram shaft on all my fairway woods.

It comes down to what you want your fairway wood feel like.

Jarro
3rd October 2005, 03:57 PM
i think Ben is the guy you need to talk to Grant :wink:

Grunt
3rd October 2005, 03:59 PM
Yeah hoping he sees this post Jarro.

andylo
3rd October 2005, 04:00 PM
Oh... add this:

The reason I have my fairway wood setup heavier on head because I want to feel like I HIT the ball instead of swing thru it. It gives me more confident.

Jarro
3rd October 2005, 04:08 PM
get a heavier shaft....that "should" help to keep the ball lower...

agreed.

i switched from a NVS65S in my 3 wood, to a NV85S and have found it to be miles better 8)

andylo
3rd October 2005, 04:10 PM
But... but....

NV and NVS is different shaft... it's not a very fair comparison wouldn't it?

Jarro
3rd October 2005, 04:41 PM
But... but....

NV and NVS is different shaft... it's not a very fair comparison wouldn't it?

true Alo, they are very different shafts .... so not really fair for comparison.

My main point i wanted to make was that the weight made a huge difference ... the club feels (and performs) so much better now 8)

peter_rs
3rd October 2005, 04:56 PM
What you are saying Jarro I have seen with nv & nvs shafts at the same weight.

Webster
3rd October 2005, 05:58 PM
Grunt, go and see someone who knows their stuff (you wont get the right answer on a forum from 20+ handicappers). Ben is excellent, but you really should get on the monitor and get everything checked out.

freddy a
3rd October 2005, 07:14 PM
It all depends how much you wanna spend. My reccomendations are:
GD Purple Ice best feel of all shafts I have tried.
Fujikura Speeder Series 75 grams and over.
Fuji Vista Pro or Tour
Steel DG S300
If you wanna try a Fuji Speeder I have a pull out 757 speeder in X flex about 42 inches long with a .335tip. These shafts usually retail around $300-400 dollars. I got this shafts from the Japanese tour from a friend.
I pulled this out of my old Mizuno.
I can give it to you for $100.

andylo
4th October 2005, 08:41 AM
Grunt, go and see someone who knows their stuff (you wont get the right answer on a forum from 20+ handicappers). Ben is excellent, but you really should get on the monitor and get everything checked out.

Ahh... another lure or something? :roll:

How can you be so sure 20+ capper don't have the right answer? Not able to perform a repeatitive swing is nothing to do with knowledge level of equipment.

That's it. Stops here :!:

Webster
4th October 2005, 10:25 AM
Relax Andylo, whilst I'm sure you may know a lot about the technical aspects of the game/equipment (as opposed to the execution), blindly suggesting shafts to someone on the internet is not going to be helpful, unless you are a clubfitter who can tailor the shaft to the individual (which you are not, but i stand to be corrected).

Only someone like Ben can give the right answer. Whats shafts would you recommend for me for example if I asked the question?

And mate if I wanted to bait you I would have chosen something a bit more interesting than this :roll:

andylo
4th October 2005, 10:40 AM
If you reckon suggesting shafts on internet is not gonna to help then I think ben's suggestion in here wouldn't be much help neither. Grunt is in Sydney and Ben is in Melbourne.

Of course, unless Grunt decided to go to Melb to meet ben. (which is something I plan to do at Nov)

Webster
4th October 2005, 11:03 AM
Umm, where did Ben recommend any shafts on this thread?

freddy a
4th October 2005, 11:05 AM
what we are merely trying to do is give recomendations on shafts we have hit and how it performs and feels. with this knowledge hopefully they can narrow thier choices down to a lets say 5 rather than having 20. suggesting shafts will not hinder the selction proces it merely minimises the time and effort looking for the shafts.

BrisVegas
4th October 2005, 11:10 AM
what we are merely trying to do is give recomendations on shafts we have hit and how it performs and feels. with this knowledge hopefully they can narrow thier choices down to a lets say 5 rather than having 20. suggesting shafts will not hinder the selction proces it merely minimises the time and effort looking for the shafts.

Stop it Freddy. You're making sense. :lol:

freddy a
4th October 2005, 11:12 AM
damn it i knew i shoudnt have had those pills!

Webster
4th October 2005, 11:14 AM
how do you know the 5 shafts that you "like" will be the right 5 for grunt?

by relying on non professional advice grunt takes the risk of eliminating the correct shaft choices because people are only telling him what works for them, not him.

suggesting shafts without a thorough knowledge of grunts swing characteritcs will ONLY hinder the process.

jaster
4th October 2005, 11:15 AM
Alo - Jack is only stating that a "qualified clubfitter" would have more experience suggesting certain shafts as he has access to a larger range of golfers and has access to a larger range of shafts/products than you and therefore is probably able to give a better informed and educated answer as it's his livelihood to fit shafts.

Please don't take this personal as Jack has stated that he could easily have chosen a juicer subject than "golf shafts" to argue over.

For what it's worth I personally appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge and experience but be aware that your swing is different to mine and anyone else's so your experiences are going to differ and people will disagree. You also have to understand that clubfitting is a fulltime career in this day and age and most people would prefer to get advice from someone who does it as their career, just like a Computer Tech or Motor Mechanic.

You just keep doing what your doing mate, your passion and zest for golf I find very refreshing...don't stop and please don't be offended when someone disagrees with you :smt056

freddy a
4th October 2005, 11:46 AM
Hi guys

? for all you equip experts out there. I am trying to work out what shaft to use in my woods. I use regular flex at the moment, but my 5 wood although being marked regular flex it is in fact stiff when it was tested at a clubmakers.
I know there is no standard for golf shaft flexes but what are the best regular flex shafts on the market at the moment. At the test he recommended Grafalloy ProLaunch 65 or 75.

this is the beuty of a forum everyone is entitled to thier own opinion thank christ for democracy.
Grunt wanted to know our opinions on shafts so therefore we are entiteled to give our opinion on this subject.
I have been fortunate enough to have tried close to 100 driver & 3 wood shafts as my friend is sponsored by titleist and a really good friend worked for taylor made australia so the last few years I have been drowning in a sea of golf clubs.
so threfore i will give him my opinion so that it may help him if he wishes to take the information on board. the final decison is with grunts and grunts only.

3oneday
4th October 2005, 12:04 PM
how do you know the 5 shafts that you "like" will be the right 5 for grunt?when I went to see some guys about fitting, they opened this book of shaft specs. I asked how many were in there and they said over 3,000.

Good luck.

Pete

freddy a
4th October 2005, 12:11 PM
I probably have the same book Pete I got it from Golfsmith America as I'm looking to purchase one of thier shaft extractors. This book has all the shaft specs, tip diameter, kick point, and weights very informative book. I want to start doing my own club building and repairing thats why I ordered this from them.