PDA

View Full Version : Network access in shed

Toolish
13th July 2012, 08:45 AM
I know there are a fair few guys here who have a good grasp on IT stuff so thought I would ask for some help.

I have a PC set up in the shed and I have a wireless network setup through the house. It seems the wireless network is strong enough to reach the shed, but it can't get into the shed which I assume is because the shed blocks it.

Is it possible to get an external antenna or something to get the network into the shed. If so can someone point me in the right direction.

Hope that makes sense. Cheers

PeteyD
13th July 2012, 08:49 AM
Plenty of info here - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1687110

live4golf
13th July 2012, 08:50 AM
Do a search for wireless booster. You will be able to find these readily at Dick Smith, JB HiFi...all the big stores and on eBay.

Daves
13th July 2012, 08:51 AM
I am pretty sure you can buy Wifi Antennas that will fix your problem. Antenna on the outside, hardwired to the inside.

BenM
13th July 2012, 10:27 AM
How far away is the shed and what's it made of?

Yes you can get wireless antennas which will boost the signal and possibly get it to penetrate the walls. Your mileage might vary though depending on what sort of access point/router you have and what the shed is made of (especially if it has metal walls/roof as they tend to reflect wireless signal!). Also if you direct the wireless signal at the shed you may affect the coverage through the rest of the house.

markTHEblake
13th July 2012, 01:09 PM
$10 on eBay for a wifi antenna extender. Problem solved. You will need an internal wifi adaptor to screw the cable into. Standard fitting.

dc68
13th July 2012, 01:41 PM
It's the Christians fault!!!

benno_r
28th September 2018, 03:41 PM
Deep dive of over 6 years here.

Same boat as I have the new shed installed. Wifi is good outside, terrible inside. Stupidly didn't install data cable when we installed electricity / water in the trench to it.

I have my modem set up in the center of the top story of my house - my house has no internal cabling to have anything relocated closer to the shed side of the house. I can't move the modem is it's the only phone port in the house.

The shed itself has it's own separate power circuit from the house, direct from the meter box. I don't "think" ethernet over the power lines will work either.

My initial thought was to install a wifi extender/repeater in the shed, attached to an external antenna that picks up the signal from the house.

Thoughts? Any ideas on repeaters with replaceable antennas?

Yossarian
28th September 2018, 04:30 PM
Just heading to the shed honey

PeteyD
28th September 2018, 04:33 PM
Power line network

benno_r
28th September 2018, 04:39 PM
Power line network

Does that work though if the house and the shed are on totally separate circuits?

BayBum
28th September 2018, 06:38 PM
Technically no but give it a try.

Minor_Threat
28th September 2018, 06:59 PM
How big are your conduits, did they leave a draw wire? You can just rip one through the same conduit. Won't comply ACMA standards, but it will work..

henno
28th September 2018, 07:31 PM
How big are your conduits, did they leave a draw wire? You can just rip one through the same conduit. Won't comply ACMA standards, but it will work..

^ This.

Otherwise, can you hang a sacrificial wifi repeater under an eave, preferably one with a switch inbuilt so you can run cable into the shed? The elements will be harsh on it but tech is cheap.

benno_r
28th September 2018, 07:32 PM

Not big enough unfortunately. We put a 32mm conduit in for power before we buried the water pipe. In hindsight wish i buried a couple. Not a big deal, just an inconvenience.

mrbluu
1st October 2018, 07:24 PM
Deep dive of over 6 years here.

Same boat as I have the new shed installed. Wifi is good outside, terrible inside. Stupidly didn't install data cable when we installed electricity / water in the trench to it.

I have my modem set up in the center of the top story of my house - my house has no internal cabling to have anything relocated closer to the shed side of the house. I can't move the modem is it's the only phone port in the house.

The shed itself has it's own separate power circuit from the house, direct from the meter box. I don't "think" ethernet over the power lines will work either.

My initial thought was to install a wifi extender/repeater in the shed, attached to an external antenna that picks up the signal from the house.

Thoughts? Any ideas on repeaters with replaceable antennas?Sounds like u have to knock down the house and shed and start again[emoji2][emoji2]

LarryLong
2nd October 2018, 09:16 AM
I think mrbluu might be on to something. :)

If you do decide to try powerline ethernet, buy something from OfficeWorks - they refunded my purchase no questions asked when I grabbed a couple to try out at my golf club for the greenkeepers shed and they didn't work.

I think if you have a different circuit in the shed with something (RCD?) separating the house from the shed it won't work.

benno_r
2nd October 2018, 10:08 AM
I think mrbluu might be on to something. :)

If you do decide to try powerline ethernet, buy something from OfficeWorks - they refunded my purchase no questions asked when I grabbed a couple to try out at my golf club for the greenkeepers shed and they didn't work.

I think if you have a different circuit in the shed with something (RCD?) separating the house from the shed it won't work.

That's my concern. The shed has its own breaker on the main house switchboard, then has it's own RCD and switchboard inside the shed. I bought some anyway - if it doesn't work to the shed I can run it down stairs to get a wired connection to the media room.

goughy
2nd October 2018, 10:23 AM
I'll be keen to know how this goes! I want to get internet in my shed too. It's on its own breaker in my power box, and then in the shed has its own main switch plus a couple of safety switches. Was thinking of borrowing my fil's powerline and see if it works.

benno_r
2nd October 2018, 10:38 AM
If it doesn't work, it will force my hand to make a proper networking solution in my house. Likely to include 2 internal Ubiquiti ceiling mounted AP's, an external Ubiquiti AP pointing towards the shed, then some cabling ran to the office and the media room, all managed in a rack mount in the linen closet.

okitoki
2nd October 2018, 10:55 AM
run some cables.... you should be fine :)

benno_r
2nd October 2018, 11:11 AM
run some cables.... you should be fine :)

48413I wish it was that easy. My house is an older queenslander with vj walls. Hard to do and look neat without cavity walls.

hippo10
2nd October 2018, 11:28 PM
Just run a cable. Bury a conduit under a few inches of dirt if you need to or just run it direct from a window to the shed roof!

goughy
3rd October 2018, 08:21 AM
In my case, I gave the electrician a roll of cat5 to run through the house, but stupidly forgot to mention the shed, which they had to run power to anyway! They ran it everywhere and left the end of the roll running out the brickwork and it sits on an aircon. It's not far to my shed, but it's gotta get under a concrete block retaining wall (1200 high) and road base. If I ever need an electrician I'll ask if they can run it through the conduit to the shed the electricity goes through. But I don't think it'll be that easy. I just figure of powerline happens to work out would be simple.

benno_r
3rd October 2018, 08:27 AM
Just run a cable. Bury a conduit under a few inches of dirt if you need to or just run it direct from a window to the shed roof!

Not an option as the space between the house and shed is finished off and can't be dug up, and it's about 12m from the house to the shed to have a cable dangling.

It's ok, I will make something that tech nerds will proud of!

PeteyD
3rd October 2018, 08:52 AM

LarryLong
4th October 2018, 12:12 AM
If it doesn't work, it will force my hand to make a proper networking solution in my house. Likely to include 2 internal Ubiquiti ceiling mounted AP's, an external Ubiquiti AP pointing towards the shed, then some cabling ran to the office and the media room, all managed in a rack mount in the linen closet.

This was the route I was going to take for Queenscliff before I found out we needed something else. Those Ubiquiti devices look pretty good if they do what they claim to do.

benno_r
29th December 2018, 08:54 PM
I'll be keen to know how this goes! I want to get internet in my shed too. It's on its own breaker in my power box, and then in the shed has its own main switch plus a couple of safety switches. Was thinking of borrowing my fil's powerline and see if it works.

OK, so here is the update to this.

D-Link AV-2000 EoP setup has been installed. Setup was very easy - first got them talking by plugging them in on the same circuit inside the house.

Took one out to the shed (separate circuit - through the main house switchboard, and the shed switchboard), plug it in and it connected right away.

I Speedtest direct from my modem at 41MBps (Fttn max). In the shed I get 25MBps. Which will do for now, as I don't us it all that often. Walked off the rough length, I reckon it's 15m from the router to the front house switchboard, and around 45m to the connection point in the shed.

In all I am calling it a success - just need to square away a better access point in the shed, and maybe another EoP to the media room with a switch. Happy days!