PDA

View Full Version : Final thoughts on new irons short list

BayBum
10th July 2012, 06:40 PM
I've been on the prowl for some new irons now that i am back playing weekly golf (plan on plenty of practice too). I have had my current Mizuno MP-30's with S300's for about 3 years or so,they helped me to a 5 HC in that time so they have served me well but time for a fresh start.I gotta be honest,i am not fully up to speed with all current irons,far too many to choose from but here are a few that have caught my eye...

Cobra S3 Pro,MP-69,TM TP MC/MB or perhaps the MP-59 ? 63's even ?

S3's probably have my most attention being a combo set & they def look the part. Thoughts ?

69's are classic Mizuno though i am a little worried they might be too much for me ? Having said that,the 30's are an unforgiving club in their own right & i have read that on here before so maybe im just psyching myself out ? Thoughts ?

Both the TM MC & MB irons are nice looking clubs at address and if i could nab them for alot cheaper than either the S3 or 69's then i would most likely jump on it.

The 59's have me leaning both ways.Over the ball they look good & are probably easier to hit than the S3 or 69 (maybe someone has hit them to compare ? ) but all that jazz behind the club is abit meh....

So im ready for some new sticks,i just need to decide which ones:? I've done all the review thing btw. Just looking for final thoughts & a nudge in the right direction from some ho's:)

Cheers
Joe

TheNuclearOne
10th July 2012, 06:43 PM
i20's have been getting RAVE reviews. They might be a bit game improvement for you personally tho if you go for the Mizzy's etc. .

PeteyD
10th July 2012, 06:45 PM
Have a look at the Epon's Pete the Pilot is selling.

virge666
10th July 2012, 06:50 PM
MP 53 and RAZR tour.

Nut
10th July 2012, 06:59 PM
Another vote for the i20's, I never thought I could be so impressed with a gold club! I've only had mine a month or so but they are absolutely amazing, so forgiving, so pretty and such a piercing ball flight. They may be a little 'cast' looking compared to your list there but definitely worthy of a hit. I thought I'd always a Titleist or Mizzy man until I hit these.... They are that good.

matty
10th July 2012, 07:03 PM
Pete's Epons. Great buy.

hocko
10th July 2012, 07:07 PM
Pete and myself were not big fans of the S3's

BayBum
10th July 2012, 07:22 PM
Im not a big fan of Ping or Callaway clubs.Not sure what it is,i guess they just dont suit my eye ?

Them Epons sure are purdy but out of my price range and i am by no means an X flex player

Virge,what makes you say the 53's over the others in the Mizzy line up ?

Hocko,what drew you away from the S3's ? Did you go back to what you were already playing or move on to a different set entirely ?

simmsy
10th July 2012, 07:38 PM
Mp59 feel awesome when u hit that spot. Luke Donald reckons theyre ok i believe.

irishamateur
10th July 2012, 07:54 PM
These looks nice:

http://www.golfwrx.com/30094/adams-cmb-forged-iron-review/

KBS C-taper stock shafts

Sasquatch
10th July 2012, 07:58 PM
I played on Saturday with a guy with the same handicap as you. He was using Mizuno MP63's & told me he was just about to replace them with a set of Bridgestone J40's.

BayBum
10th July 2012, 08:24 PM
Man,i didnt even know the Adams CMB existed :oops:. Nice looking club & yes i am an adams fan boi also :)

I have considered the J40's but not spent as much time reading up on those as with the others.I tried the J36 PC sometime last year but the px 6.0 that was in them put me off.Not a club head issue i know.More a case of me being fussy:neutral:

Short list quickly becoming long list.....another OZgolf victim:lol:

irishamateur
10th July 2012, 08:29 PM
Man,i didnt even know the Adams CMB existed :oops:. Nice looking club & yes i am an adams fan boi also :)

The CMB only got released in the last few weeks

backintheswing
10th July 2012, 09:01 PM
Try the I20's. Demo them if you can. I think you will be impressed. They don't look like a shovel. Very forgiving. The CFS shaft feels really good as well.

LowTee
10th July 2012, 09:10 PM
The cobra irons are really solid if you get a chance demo them

3oneday
10th July 2012, 10:14 PM
Try the I20's. Demo them if you can. I think you will be impressed. They don't look like a shovel. Very forgiving. The CFS shaft feels really good as well.is the CFS a rebadged AWT you reckon ? I haven't tried, just interested.

backintheswing
10th July 2012, 10:18 PM
They seem to have a lowish trajectory compared to my last 3 iron sets, which had Project x 6.0, S300 and Nippon 1150GH. I have only played the AWT in Ping wedges before, so I am not sure.

simmsy
10th July 2012, 10:48 PM
Have a look at the Adams MB2. Pretty sweet things.

dave1
11th July 2012, 12:01 AM
MP 53 and RAZR tour. X 2My 53's arrived today ...Nice looking and forgiving enough.DisclaimerPlease note Im biased towards mizuno.

popper81
11th July 2012, 08:12 AM
I am off a similar handicap to you and am playing the mizzie mp 53 3 & 4 / Mp 63 5-pw combo set. I upgraded from the mp 60 and had titlesit cb sticks before that. I find the 53's great in the long irons, but wouldn't want them in the shorter clubs. I feel like I have lost a little bit of workability with the long iron over the 60's I had, but at least when I miss it, which is often, it is not as bad :) I was only think how good a it would be to have 9 & pw in the mp 69 to make the full combo set.

Boonie
11th July 2012, 09:48 AM
I did plenty of demoing before settling on the Mizuno 69's for my 5-PW (got the 3 and 4 iron in 59's)

Could not be happier, highly recommend them.

I really liked the Cobra S3 Pro's, but IMO the 69's are actually more forgiving. They are certainly not hard to hit for blades.

Captain Nemo
11th July 2012, 10:40 AM
is the CFS a rebadged AWT you reckon ? I haven't tried, just interested.

Not according to my mate's @ Ping.
Ill find out more on sat.....

dave1
11th July 2012, 11:36 AM
I am off a similar handicap to you and am playing the mizzie mp 53 3 & 4 / Mp 63 5-pw combo set. I upgraded from the mp 60 and had titlesit cb sticks before that. I find the 53's great in the long irons, but wouldn't want them in the shorter clubs. I feel like I have lost a little bit of workability with the long iron over the 60's I had, but at least when I miss it, which is often, it is not as bad :) I was only think how good a it would be to have 9 & pw in the mp 69 to make the full combo set.Mizuno irons are nice. Rarely make a bad iron. Yep Im biased. Great to hit and hold their online value very well too.

inyourlife
12th July 2012, 06:32 PM
Have 53's also but I'm thinking of going J40's next

dave1
13th July 2012, 11:29 AM
Bridgies are nice.

Haven't seen them but j36 and j38 irons were great.

Puji
13th July 2012, 12:01 PM
I have gamed MP53s for over a year now. I have had many different shafts in them - but I have never thought of changing them

Until I recently bought a set of PING i15s off another member here on the forum. They are the incorrect length and lie for me - but I can't argue with the results. Or the quality of the actual club itself.

I learnt how to play golf with Nike Blades. Not on purpose - they were given to me. I have always looked favorably down upon thin toplines, no offset and slim soles. I have liked heads which make the ball look big in comparison.

So I am not sure what compelled me to give the PING's a trial, but I guess its just because these days all i am trying to do is make good impact with the ball. I rarely need to alter the L <--> R shape, If anything all I try to alter is the height. On the basis that I am not a master stroke maker I decided to get something that will help me a little more.

I liked PING's philosophy, their look (the no hosel thing fits my eye) and the technology they build into their clubs.

The tungsten heel weight and the progressive offset appealled to me.

Anyway I had a hit with them and I barely hit a bad shot. I actually think the upright lie helped a little to straighten my ball flight, and even adding in a baby draw, albeit pulled slightly.

The feel is great. not buttery - but solid and powerful. It's not like middling a mizuno, but it is much nicer all over the clubface. Very, very satisfying feedback.

It is also easily a club longer than my Mizuno's. Which I think will punish me.

I am gaming these.

I would strongly reccomend having a look at PING's range. the new i20's look schmick.

Only time will tell if the MP53s return to the bag. Where my game is at, I just need the forgiveness.

dave1
13th July 2012, 01:31 PM
Good post

Our pro uses i15 he swears by them.

I dont like the look but its about results isnt it

Puji
13th July 2012, 01:50 PM
Yep - and I really hope I go back to the Mizuno's. I really do love the MP53's - but now that I have found out that I can get the lie/loft adjusted to suit me for not very much by PING themselves, I am worried that the PING's are going to keep themselves in the bag.

Here's hoping it is just a honeymoon period and I go back to the ol' faithful Mizzies!