PDA

View Full Version : Ping Anser Putter - Original and best

chappy1970
9th July 2012, 04:11 PM
So I have rolled a few, have a Scotty Newport, YES Mallett, recently had a Odyssey White Ice, plus some others I have tried over time.

I recently came into possession of a mint brass Ping Anser putter, the one with the sound slot in it, and took it out with me yesterday for round.

The best feeling putter I have ever used.

Any agree??

damoocow
9th July 2012, 04:14 PM
I bought an old Anser 2 off Dotty at last year's champs - fantastic putter.
I love you Dotty....

Captain Nemo
New Select Deep Milled are pretty hard to go past....

Puji
When I was in Japan recently, i picked up a Ping Anser 4.

It came with a Pingman grip in plastic. Bought for cheap.

I amlooking forward to restoring it, with some elbow grease!

I rolled a few with it also - great putter. the Method 001 just snubs it.

I have seen the brass sound slot versions- very nice.

These beat SC's all day long.

muldude
9th July 2012, 04:42 PM
I've had my anser 2 for 28 years, still going strong. Sure we've been through some good times and some bad times, have tested it's tensile strength and aerodynamic abilities and but she will always stay lol.

Webster
9th July 2012, 04:48 PM
Chappy, they are still the design benchmark that every other company has copied in one form or another. I personaly think the stainless Anser 2 is their best model, along with the Redwood Ansers. Still plenty of people using the original brass models. I dont like the Scotty Camerons at all - they just dont have the balance that the PINGs do.

Of course my Byron Morgan might just be better than all of them put together.

Puji
9th July 2012, 04:57 PM
Lets see some pictures!

Puji
9th July 2012, 05:18 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q186/peejayy/90ed84d9.jpg

I know it's nothing amazing and pretty common, but I picked it up in the store and just had to have it. Unluckily, i walked down the road and picked up a Method 001 for <$100 so this is now the round the house walking stick. Love giving it a wave for fun.

I would love to polish it up a little, clean out the markings and crevices.

P.S: I should be an eBay seller.

backintheswing
9th July 2012, 05:25 PM
I have an original Anser as well. I have tried to use it, but it is too light and seems to sit closed. Also has a lot of toe hang. I much prefer my new Anser milled or the Redwoods. I am going to try and get my hands on an Anser 2 Stainless as Jack said. I have heard they sit nice with a little more weight than the original.

Dotty
9th July 2012, 05:30 PM
Been there. Done that. Moved on.

A bit like owning a classic car. Sounds and looks great, but I found it a little light and developed a preference for a sight line. (Superceded by an Anser 2, a Scotty and a Rife Aruba. which I feel put a better roll on the ball.)

Now prefer a double-bend shaft. Used Yes! for a while but a Redwood Piper stole my heart.

Redwoods rock!

BGH
9th July 2012, 06:53 PM
I'm with you Dotty. I like the idea of using a classic Ping, but in reality it just can't compete with weight and feel of modern putters. I bought one the the same as Chappy is mentioning (bronze with sound-slot) with the intention of making it my gamer, but as much as I love the look of it, it's just not going to happen.

It's currently for sale here (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/29556-Callaway-and-Cleveland-wedges-Mizuno-MP-Fli-Hi-Footjoy-Synr-G-Some-putters?highlight=)

Puji
9th July 2012, 06:59 PM
I'll take it off your hands for $45 and ill pick up tomorrow/ tonight!

chappy1970
9th July 2012, 08:55 PM
I personaly think the stainless Anser 2 is their best model

Got one of them too Jack

Webster
9th July 2012, 09:07 PM
The nickel head Scottsdales from the late 90's were great putters too.

BGH
10th July 2012, 10:37 AM
I'll take it off your hands for $45 and ill pick up tomorrow/ tonight!

Make it an even $50 and we have a deal.