PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Time Sheets

PerryGroves
2nd July 2012, 08:45 PM
For many years our time sheets for morning players have been available at 6am the Saturday prior and at 11am for the afternoon sheet. If you get to the club at those times you are advantaged over other punters logging on.

There is a move to make Friday night (8 days prior) time sheet night. We have staff at the club on Friday night serving 1/2 dozen middies of Reschs to a couple of the older blokes (who to be fair, do support their club).

Mate of mine wants to have it as families, lads, jeans, BBQ night, I am supportive having seen it work very successfully, albeit in the US.

I know a lot of clubs do the Friday night thing, any comments on positives/negatives or what you think works best would be appreciated.

Peter
2nd July 2012, 08:53 PM
1 week prior in the morning ensures that the same groups play in basically the same spot each Saturday morning.

I like the concept of the Friday night draw, but accept that I would almost never make it down for it. Plenty of blokes also have other Saturday commitments, so can only play at certain times - if they miss their preferred window enough times they probably give up their membership completely.

Captain Nemo
2nd July 2012, 09:16 PM
For many years our time sheets for morning players have been available at 6am the Saturday prior and at 11am for the afternoon sheet. If you get to the club at those times you are advantaged over other punters logging on.

There is a move to make Friday night (8 days prior) time sheet night. We have staff at the club on Friday night serving 1/2 dozen middies of Reschs to a couple of the older blokes (who to be fair, do support their club).

Mate of mine wants to have it as families, lads, jeans, BBQ night, I am supportive having seen it work very successfully, albeit in the US.

I know a lot of clubs do the Friday night thing, any comments on positives/negatives or what you think works best would be appreciated.

That's how we do it.
We put our names down on a sheet numbered 1-100
Supposedly our club captain has 4 "random" sheets with numbers which he rotates/uses each week to call numbers.
I call BS.....
Number called, go book your group etc...
Works ok, getting a game wise, but we get at least 50+ guys down there booking in/drinking/putting etc... so great for the club revenue wise which it's mostly about.
Computer sheet deosnt open for the following sat until sat arvo so you need to go to the club and book in or wait ?
Even more in summertime.

bergsey
2nd July 2012, 11:54 PM
We are same as above. This time of year it can be difficult getting a Sat timeslot unless someone from your group attends the draw. Most time later in the week you have a few withdrawals

idgolfguy
3rd July 2012, 01:35 AM
Only the online booking available which is a real challenge in Winter to get your flight in. There is overflow to the other 18 for Stableford mid-morning

mudrat
3rd July 2012, 06:43 AM
Our club does the Friday night bookings, put your membership card in the barrel and when you are drawn out you go and book your group. They also have a raffle and members badge draw on the Friday so it ensures a good turn out. Online bookings the open at 7am Saturday. Seems to work ok at our club.

The group I play with always has a couple of guys there on a Friday night.

Minor_Threat
3rd July 2012, 06:57 AM
Our sheets come out three weeks in advance and are available online and at the club 3pm every Thursday.

Works well for me, I always manage to get our group in the same time every week.

sms316
3rd July 2012, 07:04 AM
100% online from 5pm Friday, 15 days in advance.

3oneday
3rd July 2012, 07:42 AM
I work an hour and a half from my golf club, I'd prefer an online booking system. I drink etc there on Satdys, don't need to do it twice.

Courty
3rd July 2012, 07:55 AM
Saturday sheets are 100% online from 6am Friday, 8 days in advance. Wednesday & Sunday sheets are available a fortnight in advance.

Dotty
3rd July 2012, 08:48 AM
Our timesheets have always come out eight days before, at 5pm, even when it was paper-based.
The only difference being computer-based, it is clubhouse terminals only at 5pm, and internet at 7pm.

Membership numbers means there is not a fight for tee times. On Tues night, I get to see the same six people grabbing their early times, and a dozen more drift in over the hour or so. Sometimes I haven't made it to the club and logged on from home at 7pm, I've noticed that our 'traditional' slots have been left free. I don't think they could handle the questions from 20 members next Wednesday.

Same story for Saturday, but fills faster with a lot of pairs and singles.

PerryGroves
3rd July 2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Dotty, like us there is still some advantage (preferred times) for people at the club as opposed to the onliners. What I am hoping is that no one is overly pissed when we go from available Saturday to available Friday night and they can see some benefit having people at the club.

Never an issue with plenty of times, ours are somewhat limited and we have had an influx of new members.

I do take 3's point that some people are not able to get to the club because of work commitments, will have to see how that unfolds. Given its a club full of 65 year olds, probably less of an issue.

Steve57
3rd July 2012, 09:47 AM
100% online from 2pm Friday, 15 days in advance.

bergsey
3rd July 2012, 09:59 AM
What's the rationale for the places that open their time sheets 3 weeks in advance? Seems a long way out

Dotty
3rd July 2012, 10:05 AM
When I worked 9-5 in the CBD, I used to get annoyed at 'retirees' getting to the club at 5pm Friday to take all the 'best' times on Saturdays.

At the time, my mates at Kogarah told me about their Friday night badge draw. Sounded good, but I couldn't see Pennant Hills having ongoing PA announcements along the lines of 'Next name up is ... Macca'.

I soon learnt it was better to wait until the end of the week and grab the best available spot as a single. I found that I could catch up with people that I hadn't played with for a while, or meet new members (teach them fast play, etiquette, etc. or suss them out for 2BBB partners). Even better now with internet, as one can easily check if a mate has booked you in, and cancellations no longer involve the hassle of phoning the pro-shop during trading hours.

Bruce Dickinson
3rd July 2012, 10:29 AM
What's the rationale for the places that open their time sheets 3 weeks in advance? Seems a long way out
I'm guessing it gives people more time to plan, and if they withdraw more opportunities for others to get a game

IanO
3rd July 2012, 01:50 PM
Ours moved to all on-line a couple of years ago. Saturday sheet opens at 5:30 pm Friday (8 days before) and Sunday opens at 6:00 pm Friday (8 days before)

At the moment the Saturday sheet is full within 10 minutes. The waiting list usually has about 10 people on it for the early morning tee times. I have never missed out on a round when on the waiting list as spaces come up on the Friday before the Saturday morning as people tend to cancel at the same time as they book for the following week.

LeftyHoges
3rd July 2012, 02:56 PM
You poor bastards.

My club: Want a game?
Me: Yep.
Club: Whack your name on the sheet / We'll get your name on there.
Done.

Can't begin to imagine what it would be like having to plan a week (or more) in advance just to get a tee time, let alone one that suits you the most.

WBennett
3rd July 2012, 02:57 PM
We are 5pm on the Thursday the week before. Saturday Monthly medals are booked out that night 8 days in advance.
Plenty of cancellations though every week, expecially if you are an afternoon player, expecially if there is a cool/cold night or the risk of inclement weather.

Peter
3rd July 2012, 04:33 PM
There should be some penalty for the guys who continuously take up an early spot only to cancel the night before.

Dotty
3rd July 2012, 05:49 PM
There should be some penalty for the guys who continuously take up an early spot only to cancel the night before.
Since it's all computerised, I've been thinking the something along the lines of ... If 3 cancellations in 3 months, then that member-number can only book within 24 hours for the next 3 months.

3 in 3 months should take care of mates booking him in, stormy Saturdays and genuine emergencies.

Captain Nemo
3rd July 2012, 06:34 PM
You poor bastards.

My club: Want a game?
Me: Yep.
Club: Whack your name on the sheet / We'll get your name on there.
Done.

Can't begin to imagine what it would be like having to plan a week (or more) in advance just to get a tee time, let alone one that suits you the most.

I think yours is a lot different circumstance.
Mine and prob PG's clubs are Sydney City clubs.....
Most sat's the whole time sheet would be full, 200 starters or so.....
Ours def deos the fri thing to bring more revenue to the club, plus it's very social.

Croydo
3rd July 2012, 07:30 PM
I think yours is a lot different circumstance.
Mine and prob PG's clubs are Sydney City clubs.....
Most sat's the whole time sheet would be full, 200 starters or so.....
Ours def deos the fri thing to bring more revenue to the club, plus it's very social.
This is what goes on at Bayview as well. At Monash the sheet is available online 8 days in advance.

Hawkers2008
3rd July 2012, 07:47 PM
Unless there is a major thing on, everyday at 3pm the timesheet for 15 days time opens up online.

Collis
5th July 2012, 09:15 PM
I put the start sheets out, problem solved.
The old blokes have caught on I put them out late on a Thursday and they wait at the door lol