PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 25th June

Nuffie
26th June 2012, 03:49 PM
Shot a -1 today in par event in the Miners Golf Club around Vines Ellenbrook.

Played with Idgolfguy who also had -3. It was a tough day with some tricky pins and tees a good way back. It was the longest I've played a number of these holes, with the wind and limited carry on offer at this time of year. Good to shot in the 70s but a few more of these rounds need to follow:

Stats: 4/14 FWYs, 8/18 GIRs, 4/9 up/downs, 29 putts, 3 x 3 putts. Swing struggling a bit but scrambling and putts helped.

idgolfguy
26th June 2012, 09:04 PM
Putting is improving but had let me down from 4-6 feet 7 times for 3-putt bogies.!

The frustrating part was not missing any fairways. Over manipulation of the short irons with my hands to not capitalise on the tee shots.

I should have finished +2 at worse. Just gave up at the end.

simmsy
28th June 2012, 04:45 PM
played Harty today with MegaWatty.

Finished with 35 to take the money from the great man.

Drove the ball well but had a day of hitting irons just a bit fat and didn't make any meaningful putts.

Nuffie
28th June 2012, 06:42 PM
played Harty today with MegaWatty.

Finished with 35 to take the money from the great man.

Drove the ball well but had a day of hitting irons just a bit fat and didn't make any meaningful putts.

Shooting 35 pts around Harty this time of year is good golfing. I remember in previous winters, trying to hit mid-irons off those fairways: Hit a few fat and skinny ones too.

simmsy
28th June 2012, 07:21 PM
course is pretty wet in places. greens are holding up well though Nuff.

i'll have to get you to take us out to the Vines over winter sometime soon mate.

hocko
28th June 2012, 09:56 PM
course is pretty wet in places. greens are holding up well though Nuff.

i'll have to get you to take us out to the Vines over winter sometime soon mate.
Putting work off until tomorrow mate?

simmsy
28th June 2012, 10:28 PM
Just finished work about an hour ago mate.
Had committed to comp. had to drop one game or the other. Don't hate me forever. :(

hocko
28th June 2012, 11:10 PM
Just finished work about an hour ago mate.
Had committed to comp. had to drop one game or the other. Don't hate me forever. :(
:wink:

Nuffie
29th June 2012, 09:14 AM
course is pretty wet in places. greens are holding up well though Nuff.i'll have to get you to take us out to the Vines over winter sometime soon mate. Hartfields greens are always good in the winter, not that they are worse in summer but they get glassy round the hole this time of year. It takes the course to a new level.Thursdays are normally good for me to play Vines with guests (every second Thursday obviously). I'll be having a hit next Thurs. Sometimes Idgolfguy and Zeus come out. Let me know if you want to come out.

hocko
29th June 2012, 09:29 AM
Hartfields greens are always good in the winter, not that they are worse in summer but they get glassy round the hole this time of year. It takes the course to a new level.Thursdays are normally good for me to play Vines with guests (every second Thursday obviously). I'll be having a hit next Thurs. Sometimes Idgolfguy and Zeus come out. Let me know if you want to come out of the closet.
Fixed

Nuffie
29th June 2012, 10:23 AM
Sometimes Idgolfguy and Zeus come out. Let me know if you want to come out of the closet.

Fixed

Nice.

It actually seems that way. November last year was when I last saw Simmsy.

simmsy
29th June 2012, 11:57 AM
Zeus is already out, no;)

Courty
30th June 2012, 01:57 PM
We played a Bisque Bogey (:roll:) this morning at Cairns GC.

I managed my shots well to record a +1, although it would have been only 34 stableford points. I'm still frustrated by very poor ball-striking, but at least I scrambled better today.

Stats here (http://golfshot.com/rounds/detail/181-11366661-11366854).

sms316
30th June 2012, 04:16 PM
31 pts at Pelican. 14 pars, 2 bogeys and 2 doubles. Playing once a week and never practicing is a lottery.

rubin
30th June 2012, 07:14 PM
What did you shoot this week? (http://www.ozgolf.net/forumdisplay.php/16-What-did-you-shoot-this-week)

a ****ing shitload.

Golf Sucks ass.

Shadesy
30th June 2012, 08:14 PM
a ****ing shitload.

Golf Sucks ass.

I'm sensing a theme here?

rubin
30th June 2012, 08:31 PM
I'm sensing a theme here?

Im going the belly tomorrow for 1 thing.

Second, dirty big push slices dont help the cause. I worked it out after about 12 holes, and then Proceeded to score 16 points in 6 holes.

I dont know if it was hungover golf though (i had the shakes this morning).

timah!
30th June 2012, 09:03 PM
Single Stab around Windaroo "Lakes"

34 points, which I wasn't too unhappy with.
Had a few missed opportunities to sneak a few extra points, but didn't really deserve it.
For some reason I started to throw in some horrible low streaky cut. Need to work on that.
Woeful on the par 3's today...

Captain Nemo
30th June 2012, 09:31 PM
36 pts today.
Another flag round, makes me happy.
Drove it like crap.
26 putts with the 2.6.....;)

timah!
30th June 2012, 09:37 PM
Nice putting L!

timah!
30th June 2012, 09:42 PM
Single Stab around Windaroo "Lakes"

34 points, which I wasn't too unhappy with.
Had a few missed opportunities to sneak a few extra points, but didn't really deserve it.
For some reason I started to throw in some horrible low streaky cut. Need to work on that.
Woeful on the par 3's today...

Oh, I should add, I followed the Popper Pitching Principles today for a nice chip in for par after putting a ball in the drink from the tee... happy days!

Captain Nemo
30th June 2012, 09:52 PM
Nice putting L!

Yep, 2 rounds in with the 2.6, could be the one (till the next box comes in......) :lol:

timah!
30th June 2012, 10:04 PM
Yep, 2 rounds in with the 2.6, could be the one (till the next box comes in......) :lol:

Haha, took the 1.5 onto the course with only 3 practice putts before hand. Took a while to get used to the different headweight, but it could be handy as well..

popper81
1st July 2012, 09:39 AM
Oh, I should add, I followed the Popper Pitching Principles today for a nice chip in for par after putting a ball in the drink from the tee... happy days!

Remind me what they are..... my short game is puss at the moment.

I played monthly mug yesterday, a catch up from a wet day earlier in the month. Drove the ball all over the joint, which for me is strange.... in saying that my iron play was ok and I had a chance to have a decent round, but still managed to ruin it by a) not chipping it well ( heaps of 8ft for par) and b) just making dumb decisions. Had 85 with a three putt from less than a foot, using wedge after a good pitch, which in all honesty was my round summed up. Club champs next week, and I am a little concerned at my lack ability to GRIND a round out.. Considering I was looking at a handicap 4 earlier in the year, another bad round on wednesday will see me start the club champs off 8, which is not sensational, considering the amount of time I have put into golf of late. The silly thing is it is all concentration, and I will have to really lift it this week, and hit the ground running to have chance of playing half decent over the next few weeks.

The highlight of my day yesterday was playing with a mate off scratch..... after a quiet start to the round he turned 1 over before going Birdie, Birdie, Eagle, 3 putt Bogey, Birdie, Par, Birdie, Birdie.... standing on the 9th ( our 18th) he needs birdie to shoot 29 for the nine. Hits 7 iron from 173 to 10ft ( I hit four iron), slider across the hill... Looks like a formality that he rolls it in, but instead 3 jiggles again ( rams it straight at it, caught the low side, and spat out) for 68 off the bat and third OCB. Pretty good to watch somebody just light the joint up, not to mention I was his partner and it was all square at the turn and we ended up winning 5 & 4 ;)

muldude
1st July 2012, 10:57 AM
Had -6 in the monthly medal par event (never seen that before) off the plates hit the ball very, very well.
Got rained on and lost interest. Started and finished with birdie which was interesting, turned square and rain turned up.......then had 6 minuses in a row, last 9 i had 7 wipes a square and a plus..........sheesh !
Got .3 back to 3.0 :mrgreen: should be on 4 after next round........can't wait 8-)

Talart
1st July 2012, 11:33 AM
Headed to Kingston for a round and racked up a with with 38 points. Really enjoyed the day and the satisfaction with my game is very much influenced with finally playing long enough off the tee with accuracy. The course is in great condition and really benefiting from the recent rains.

BenM
1st July 2012, 03:36 PM
I couldn't play comp yesterday as I had work to do.... but out of the blue got a call on Friday arvo, apparently the last monthly medal was a qualifier for a matchplay comp (I didn't realise) and I have to play my first match by Sunday or forfeit. So went out for a hit of matchplay today....

Had to give my opponent 10 shots but still managed to win 1up and go through to the next round. Hit it surprisingly well - was 4up after 5, 4up after 11, but choked and we were all square with 2 to play! Thankfully I didn't have to give him any shots on the last 2 holes and managed to play solidly enough to scrape home... missed a < 3 footer for par on 18 which would've made it 2up, but meh, a win is a win.

WWW-WLLW-WL-L-LLW-

Didn't put my stats in but I only hit one really bad drive today and had more one putts than I've had in months. I cancelled that out by having 2 Hitlers, some horrible flubbed wedges, and just generally mediocre irons. Still getting used to the R9s and the stiff shafts, I am pulling everything. The highlight was a wedge on 16 that missed the green left by about 15 metres, hit a tree trunk on the fly and ricocheted into a greenside bunker. You gotta laugh sometimes.

Edit: fixed scoring.

blurry
1st July 2012, 05:41 PM
37 points at Penrith off 8, only hit 6 faiways, but hit irons pretty well.

catch22
1st July 2012, 05:52 PM
Nice work talart, blurry.

93gross/74nett. 2FW, 3GIR, 36 putts, 0x3putts, 2 x 4 putts.

Tried out the new dromos in regular today, didnt go very well and seemed to hit all my drives right. Irons were working ok though, so had a half decent round apart from a 4 putt on the first and last holes of the front. Also managed to quadruple bogey the second to last hole and the double the last - had 2 penalties for moving sticks then had the ball roll :(

jimandr
1st July 2012, 09:59 PM
21 points at Camden Lakeside today. I had to grind out 3 2-pointers in a row to finish in order to beat 20 points. My game is the pits right now. Some genuinely bad shots with driver and long clubs to go with poor ball-striking and a woeful short game. 5 doubles, and all of them were four to get down from within 5 yards of the green.

I should've gone to the Trackman session.

rubin
1st July 2012, 10:46 PM
Im going the belly tomorrow for 1 thing.

Second, dirty big push slices dont help the cause. I worked it out after about 12 holes, and then Proceeded to score 16 points in 6 holes.

I dont know if it was hungover golf though (i had the shakes this morning).

well i think i established that it wasnt hungover golf. I played just as bad today. Not sure what has changed in just over a week, but all the improvement i had made in the 5/6 weeks prior has gone out the window.

Now the overtime has finished at work for a long while, I might get a chance to practice and work it out.

Pieface
1st July 2012, 10:59 PM
Managed to sweet talk my way into 9 holes this morning. Virge's reasons why I suck fresh in my mind.

1st tee, driver in hand...a beautiful block slice 160m out and 40m right to the parallel 9th fairway. Doh! Managed to find my way back and chipinski for par. Rattled off a couple more regulation pars teeing off with 5W and then hit the first par three.

JC's psyche out still fresh in my mind a topped 6I set up a double. Doubled the next par three after a similar effort with 4H off the tee. I made a great chip to 4 feet to possibly save the single but one of the guys I got grouped with had a tantrum and belted a chunk of turf out of the green right by the hole just before I putted and it rattled me a bit and I pulled it. Never seen someone do that on a green before :-s

Muddled my way around and finished with 5 pars, a single, 2 dubs and a triple on the index 1 hole thanks to a badly mishit tee shot and having to take a less than ideal drop. 22 points with no wipes. Really quite good golf for me and hopefully I have a bit of a clue about what went wrong on the few bad ones. I took 1 more club all day and tried to put a smooth swing on it. My approach distances were all off but staying in play more than made up for it!

hocko
1st July 2012, 11:02 PM
Good work big fella, 5 pars is a great effort.
Keep the driver in the bag for a while.
Where did you play?

rubin
1st July 2012, 11:07 PM
nice shooting PF.

Pieface
1st July 2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks mate.

Close to home...Marangaroo. Easy track, being short, if you keep out of the bush but can rack up shots quick smart in the trees.

I hit my 5W right around 200m the 4 times I hit it well according to the GPS. If I'm honest I doubt I hit driver any further most of the time.

hocko
1st July 2012, 11:19 PM
200 is a good start on the fairway, definately keeps you in the hole.

idgolfguy
2nd July 2012, 01:21 AM
Been playing rubbish last few weeks. Had four of my best rounds drop off. 10.8 last Saturday, 12.9 now. Feast or famine!

Monthly medal, 8 pars and 1 birdie, and still finished with a 91 gross.

dave1
2nd July 2012, 01:55 AM
Crap golf 24 pts.

Umm a positive ...It didnt rain

Talart
2nd July 2012, 10:59 AM
Nice work talart, blurry.

93gross/74nett. 2FW, 3GIR, 36 putts, 0x3putts, 2 x 4 putts.

Tried out the new dromos in regular today, didnt go very well and seemed to hit all my drives right. Irons were working ok though, so had a half decent round apart from a 4 putt on the first and last holes of the front. Also managed to quadruple bogey the second to last hole and the double the last - had 2 penalties for moving sticks then had the ball roll :(

Thanks Catch22, that was not too bad a result given your putting score. Not really far off a handicap breaking result in my opinion, 6 less putts would have done the job.

Fronted up for the Second round of the John Leake Trophy on Sunday and just could not get over the line to take a prize. Had a lot of fun on the track with the playing group and that was more important than the result. Only finished 2 stableford points off a 3rd place with my 29 and the three wipes and a couple of one point scores that came from game mistakes that have me a little bemused.

Nuffie
4th July 2012, 08:56 AM
Been playing rubbish last few weeks. Had four of my best rounds drop off. 10.8 last Saturday, 12.9 now. Feast or famine!

Monthly medal, 8 pars and 1 birdie, and still finished with a 91 gross.

With this new system there's nowhere to hide. I've also lost all my good summer flagged rounds.

Pieface
4th July 2012, 10:37 AM
I would have thought the new system would be more helpful to the lower markers Nuff. Lose a few low rounds and you should get a stroke or two back much earlier than the old system of getting back 0.1 at a time? Doesn't it feel like you have a better chance when you get an extra hole to have a good chance at a 3 or 4 pointer?

Or have I got it all wrong?

Outcast
4th July 2012, 07:25 PM
Finally a round that I am happy'ish' with...

38 pts at Cairns GC today.. 79 off the stick

Ball striking was fairly solid today but, a couple of sloppy wedge shots tested my bunker play. 3 x 3 putts didn't exactly help the final score but, then again, putting has never been my strong point.

golfbound
4th July 2012, 08:50 PM
What a top day.... Sun shining great weather and i was part of a top team, 1 other amputee, the GM from The Glades, a mate and I. We won the Virgin Australia Celebrity Golf Day with a 61 off the stick in an 4 ball ambrose event. Thanks onsport.com.au and Virgin Australia.

AndyP
4th July 2012, 09:46 PM
Back on topic........

30/06/12, Wolston Park GC, Club Champs Rd 4.

5/11 effective tee-shots.
8/18 effective approaches.
3/7 up and down successes.
33 putts.
------------------------
11 pars.
4 bogeys.
3 others.

Scoring: PPPBPPBBP PXBPPXPXP
Score (http://www.ozgolf.net/andyp/Scorecard/rounds/20120630-p97.html): 38-42-80 nett 72 (Par 35-32-67 ACR 65)

H/cap Change - Out 0.7 to 8.7 (+1.1 in two rounds)

Four consecutive weeks of playing a few destructive holes per round. I chucked a quad in there this week. FFS!
I put my name down for this weekend, so it can't be too bad.

Next round: Monthly Medal.