PDA

View Full Version : Computer Gaming is a Sport...

virge666
26th June 2012, 11:25 AM
Evening all.

My Name is Virge and I am a gamer... < waits for the obligatory "Hi Virge">

So cruising through Diablo III - which is quite boring and easy . . . but now have got Ghost Soldier. Here is my question to all you raving mad FPS nuts.

MOUSE LAG . . . how do you fix it ?

Diablo III is perfect, COD and battlefield are fine... Ghost is awfull, like Mouse is in Porridge.

Any ideas ?

BroKar
26th June 2012, 11:36 AM
What mouse do you have? I have a fair bit of experience in this area.

Most of the time it's a cmd inside the game that will fix it, like rate, cmd rate, fps max or something along them lines.

Used to be a full on gamer in my time, ran a few events etc

virge666
26th June 2012, 11:40 AM
What mouse do you have? I have a fair bit of experience in this area.

Most of the time it's a cmd inside the game that will fix it, like rate, cmd rate, fps max or something along them lines.

Used to be a full on gamer in my time, ran a few events etc

Nice one - we use to run the Aussie Game Events in Redfern here.

Logitech Gaming mouse...

BroKar
26th June 2012, 12:55 PM
Yeah I took over WCG and ESWC after that as the guy went broke owing everyone money, which windows you running??

I would say its game related but there are some settings depending on windows, mouse acceleration off?

markTHEblake
26th June 2012, 01:30 PM
It's called age. You should be playing online bingo instead.

virge666
26th June 2012, 01:59 PM
Yeah I took over WCG and ESWC after that as the guy went broke owing everyone money, which windows you running??

I would say its game related but there are some settings depending on windows, mouse acceleration off?

Yep - that would be me being owed...

Though the lass from good game was worth it... but the smell from teh main arena was awful.

Reinstalled new SetPoint drivers... trying again after lunch.

Win7 64bit.

virge666
26th June 2012, 02:00 PM
It's called age. You should be playing online bingo instead.

I thought it was Poker and the Stockmarket for the Grey Brigade . . .

Eldrick
26th June 2012, 02:56 PM
Though the lass from good game was worth it...

invoking the HEX* rule
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitvid-channel-avatars/4eef433e500ee.1.jpg

*like the other rule for the singer of the gossip

Minor_Threat
26th June 2012, 05:34 PM
Sounds game related mate.

Check acceleration settings etc

live4golf
26th June 2012, 05:37 PM
take your mouse out of the porridge.

virge666
26th June 2012, 05:44 PM
Sounds game related mate.

Check acceleration settings etc

Logitech Setpoint has this setting to do with "Game Detection"

I switched that on... and it is dead set perfect. Even if the frame rate gets a bit sluggish.

And BTW, how good is it being older and a bit of extra cash - when I was a kid - saving up weeks for a voodoo card was painful. Now... wholesale pricelist and a couple of GeForce cards in SLI, gotta love it !

All as a tax deduction for work...

Life is awesome.

blurry
26th June 2012, 06:05 PM
get a ps3 , with an open nat , you never have lag because there is every chance you will be host..... cod black ops rulz:roll: or so my son says

Dotty
26th June 2012, 06:11 PM
And BTW, how good is it being older and a bit of extra cash - when I was a kid - saving up weeks for a voodoo card was painful. Now... wholesale pricelist and a couple of GeForce cards in SLI, gotta love it !

Wrong. I've tried playing games on the computer, but my 10c coin gets jammed in the SD card slot.

virge666
26th June 2012, 06:33 PM
get a ps3 , with an open nat , you never have lag because there is every chance you will be host..... cod black ops rulz:roll: or so my son says

PS3 is so 2006.

Prefer 1920x1600dpi.

Minor_Threat
26th June 2012, 08:00 PM
get a ps3 , with an open nat , you never have lag because there is every chance you will be host..... cod black ops rulz:roll: or so my son saysTrue FPS is always on PC.Glad your sorted Virge.

Webster
26th June 2012, 08:02 PM
"Gaming" is a sport? Does that mean pinball is a sport?

dave1
28th June 2012, 01:18 AM
Playing LA Noire on ps3 - its good

Gaming isnt sport..

Maybe with move controller and wii

Could be?

PeteyD
28th June 2012, 06:54 AM
Gaming is sport, in that the top gamers are sponsored and paid.

mudrat
28th June 2012, 07:13 AM
Doesn't that just mean gaming is professional, not a sport?

PeteyD
28th June 2012, 07:25 AM
Chess is a sport. Gaming is a sport.

BroKar
28th June 2012, 08:21 AM
I used to own Australia's top gaming team, they dont really get paid anything significant, free gear and travel.

Overseas totally different, some are on megabucks

Webster
28th June 2012, 08:22 AM
Chess is a game. Gaming is also a game. Neither is a sport. A sport requires either running or a ball. Golf is a sport. Bowling is a sport. Pinball is a sport.

sms316
28th June 2012, 08:27 AM
Chess is a game. Gaming is also a game. Neither is a sport. A sport requires either running or a ball. Golf is a sport. Bowling is a sport. Pinball is a sport. Agreed. Motor racing isn't a sport either.

Webster
28th June 2012, 08:32 AM
Correct. But horse racing is, because the horse is running.

Dotty
28th June 2012, 08:38 AM
Is MasterChef a sport because they run to the pantry to get the ingredients?

PeteyD
28th June 2012, 08:40 AM
Inventing definitions, love your work.

BroKar
28th June 2012, 08:44 AM
And they cry when they win dotty

Lobsta
28th June 2012, 09:13 AM
Agreed. Motor racing isn't a sport either.

Correct. But horse racing is, because the horse is running.

Yes it is.

The engines are running.

Webster
28th June 2012, 09:16 AM
Lobsta, no it isn't. Running requires legs. Cars have no legs. Motor racing is therefore not a sport.

Dotty, the running to the pantry doesnt not qualify Masterchef as a sport. It is ancilliary to the primary purpose of the acitivity (ie cooking) and therefore does not count, same as hugging and crying.

Lobsta
28th June 2012, 09:20 AM
A sport requires either running or a ball. Golf is a sport. Bowling is a sport. Pinball is a sport.

Discus
Diving
Shooting
Swimming
Everything in the winter Olympics
Rowing
Race walking
Cycling
Weightlifting
Sailing
Martial arts
Boxing
Kayaking
Archery

All not sports apparently.

PeteyD
28th June 2012, 09:20 AM
See plenty of hugging and crying at the horse racing.

Is Cockroach racing a sport?

Dotty
28th June 2012, 09:22 AM
So, car racing was a sport in The Flintstones era.

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2012, 09:24 AM
Is pie eating a sport if you run to the cashier in excitement?

Webster
28th June 2012, 09:28 AM
Is Cockroach racing a sport?

Yes, if the cockroaches run.

So, car racing was a sport in The Flintstones era.

No, you can't be considered to be runnign if you are sitting down at the same time. Bobsled racing is your benchmark Dotty.

Is pie eating a sport if you run to the cashier in excitement?

No, as running is not involved in the act of eating the pie.

Lobsta
28th June 2012, 09:30 AM
Prior to the early 2000's, computer mice used to have balls in them, before they changed to infrared.

Does that mean that prior to then, computer gaming was a sport?

Webster
28th June 2012, 09:38 AM
No, as the ball in the mouse is not an integral part of the game. Must be a real ball - not a ball in the computer, or the mouse.

Lobsta
28th June 2012, 09:44 AM
No, as the ball in the mouse is not an integral part of the game. Must be a real ball - not a ball in the computer, or the mouse.

I'd say it was rather integral. Ever lost a computer mouse ball? Can't play COD too well with a ball-less mouse.

So what is your view on Swimming. Sport or not?

Lobsta
28th June 2012, 09:45 AM
I'd say it was rather integral. Ever lost a computer mouse ball? Can't play COD too well with a ball-less mouse.

So what is your view on Swimming. Sport or not?

Wait, a minute, does the Chinese Women's team have enough balls to get swimming across the line?

Webster
28th June 2012, 09:50 AM
Swimming is a sport. The act of moving the legs at speed in the water to propel the body is the same as running (just). Balls not essential, ie Thorpe / Kowalski.

sms316
28th June 2012, 09:53 AM
Swimming is a sport. Balls not essential, ie Thorpe / Kowalski.What are you trying to say?

LarryLong
28th June 2012, 10:25 AM
Discus
Diving
Shooting
Swimming
Everything in the winter Olympics
Rowing
Race walking
Cycling
Weightlifting
Sailing
Martial arts
Boxing
Kayaking
Archery

All not sports apparently.

I'm comfortable with that.

I think we need another rule - anything where the outcome is decided by judges: not a sport.

sms316
28th June 2012, 10:43 AM
I'm comfortable with that.I think we need another rule - anything where the outcome is decided by judges: not a sport. Dancing With The Stars isn't a sport?

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2012, 10:57 AM
I'm comfortable with that.I think we need another rule - anything where the outcome is decided by judges: not a sport. So are boxing and MMA only sports if the fights don't go to the judges? Need to change your definition.

Webster
28th June 2012, 11:03 AM
I think we need another rule - anything where the outcome is decided by judges: not a sport.

Dancing With The Stars isn't a sport?

Correct. Anything where they play music in the background is also not a sport. ie gymnastics.

Dotty
28th June 2012, 11:19 AM
Ice hockey?
Running? No.
Ball? No.
Music in the background? Yes.

sms316
28th June 2012, 11:19 AM
WWE is a sport.

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2012, 11:30 AM
Ice hockey only plays music during the long breaks in action, usually for tv commercials.

Lobsta
28th June 2012, 12:14 PM
Mixed Martial Arts?

Ball: no
Running: no
Judges: yes

Webster
28th June 2012, 12:36 PM
Ice hockey?
Running? No.
Ball? No.
Music in the background? Yes.

Ice Hockey is a sport. They run on skates, the puck is a flattened out ball, and only music in the breaks.

Dangals
28th June 2012, 12:45 PM
not sure if Jack is taking the piss but the definition of sport is as follows:

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively."

Nowhere does it have any of this nonsense about running or having to use a ball as a requirement of being classified as a sport. Although as a gamer there is no way I could classify gaming as a sport as there is no physical exertion involved even though it covers the competitive/set of rules side of the definition.

kev
28th June 2012, 12:50 PM
<snip>
Nowhere does it have any of this nonsense about running or having to use a ball as a requirement of being classified as a sport. Although as a gamer there is no way I could classify gaming as a sport as there is no physical exertion involved even though it covers the competitive/set of rules side of the definition.

Really? Have you played Kinect Adventures???

AndyP
28th June 2012, 12:56 PM
Define "physical exertion".

LarryLong
28th June 2012, 01:01 PM
So are boxing and MMA only sports if the fights don't go to the judges? Need to change your definition.

Not sports. No running, no ball, presence of judges. They're entertainment, just like WWE. If you were to classify fighting as sports you would then have to include things like arm-wrestling, tug of war and dwarf throwing. It's a slippery slope.

Mixed Martial Arts?

Ball: no
Running: no
Judges: yes

See above.

PeteyD
28th June 2012, 01:19 PM
Include all the definitions, not just the first one.

Try ASF:
“a human activity capable of achieving a result requiring physical exertion and/or physical skill, which, by its nature and organisation, is competitive and is generally accepted as being a sport.”

Free Dictionary:
sport (spôrt, sphttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.gifrt)n.1.a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.

2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.
4.a. Mockery; jest: He made sport of his own looks.
b. An object of mockery, jest, or play: treated our interests as sport.
c. A joking mood or attitude: She made the remark in sport.

5.a. One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.
b. Informal One who accepts rules or difficult situations well.
c. Informal A pleasant companion: was a real sport during the trip.

6. Informala. A person who lives a jolly, extravagant life.
b. A gambler at sporting events.

7. Biology An organism that shows a marked change from the normal type or parent stock, typically as a result of mutation.
8. Maine See summercater (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/summercater). See Regional Note at summercater (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/summercater).
9. Obsolete Amorous dalliance; lovemaking.

I vote for unobsoleting #9

Shadesy
28th June 2012, 01:37 PM
If You can Play Sport in a Set of Spectacles without them falling off during the activity...Not a Sport.

Cricket (Thanks Daniel Vettor) and perhaps golf fall into here.

AndyP
28th June 2012, 01:37 PM
b. An object of mockery, jest, or play:

I guess WWE is sport then.

Shadesy
28th June 2012, 01:38 PM
"An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively"

So sex IS a Sport then! Awesome!

Lobsta
28th June 2012, 01:46 PM
"An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively"

So sex IS a Sport then! Awesome!

Soggy Saos falls under that definition.

Johnny Canuck
28th June 2012, 01:53 PM
"An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively"So sex IS a Sport then! Awesome! Especially for Simmsy, he is playing with a ball.

sms316
28th June 2012, 02:07 PM
Soggy Saos falls under that definition. Did you know that SAO stands for Salvation Army Officer? Consider that your useless trivia for the day.

Dangals
28th June 2012, 02:58 PM
Really? Have you played Kinect Adventures???

Yes....but I'd rather wish I hadn't.

I would only really consider gaming a sport where there is a competition involved that resulted in actual prizes (ie cash, parts etc) like the big leagues etc that are run overseas and occasionally down here. These events tend to have very strict rules along with judges onsite making sure these rules are followed etc...

dave1
28th June 2012, 03:19 PM
Is golf sport?

Or a game?

Lobsta
28th June 2012, 11:19 PM
Seriously, do you read threads before posting in them? Or just skim?

dave1
28th June 2012, 11:45 PM
Seriously, do you read threads before posting in them? Or just skim? I dont read everything ...Send out the forum police now!