PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France 2012

Ashes
13th June 2012, 10:50 PM
Massive news today with Andy Schleck pulling out More than 2 weeks before the race begins.

Still plenty of challengers in the field, with Wiggins probably the biggest chance. Go Cadel.

dave1
13th June 2012, 11:00 PM
Its the best single sporting event to watch.

For years I dreamed of an Aussie winning.

Its maybe Cadels last tour

Andy is a great loss - Im sure Frank Schleck will be the lead man.

Wiggins will be tough.

Cant wait - bring it on. 3 weeks of stuff all sleep!

Ashes
13th June 2012, 11:05 PM
Agreed, my favourite event of the year. I used to race MTB's and was a big fan of Cadel's back when he was coming up through the ranks. The guy is tough as nails.

I don't think Frank S can do it on his own, although he's perhaps a podium chance. Last year was brilliant, Cadel was gone for all money and just dragged himself back into it. Hopefully this year will be just as good.

dave1
13th June 2012, 11:27 PM
Read his 2 books

If you haven't take the time to

No contador either. Its odd Cadel will be favorite.

Green edge will be great to watch also.

Ashes
13th June 2012, 11:31 PM
You mean Cadel's books? I've read one, didn't realize there were two.

It's strange, in 2010 I hated Contador and supported Andy S. Then last year I couldn't stand Andy S and supported Contador (after Cadel of course).

dave1
14th June 2012, 12:58 AM
I like the schlecks

Sorry but Contador is a cheat (once he was caught I had no respect for him)

..I Suspect he won using drugs also.

Webster
14th June 2012, 08:02 AM
Dave1, they are all cheats. The TDF is the worst sporting event of the year. Full of drugs and contrived results.

Oh, and Lance Armstrong is in the firing line again:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/lance-armstrong-faces-fresh-doping-charges-from-usada/2012/06/13/gJQAefnPaV_story.html

Toolish
14th June 2012, 08:31 AM
Jack...a few years ago you were right for sure. i think it is gradually getting cleaner.

Andy being out might actually be good for Frank, they seem to spend so much energy focussing on helping each other that not having his brother their might allow Frank to be a true team leader.

TourFit
14th June 2012, 01:30 PM
Fractured pelvis for Andy. He said after he crashed in the TT at the Criterium de Dauphine last week that his whole right side felt sore (duh!), but still got up next day and rode for 63k's before pulling out.

I think it'll be a pretty open race this year...Nibali has a decent chance, Wiggins looks good (but to me is still a little suspect in the BIG mountains), Cadel of course will be up there. Basso may not ride the Tour as he is the team mate of Nibali and two GC riders will make a LOT of pressure for their team, and I don't think that Hejsedal will go back to back!

Should be the most open Tour for many years.

TourFit
14th June 2012, 01:32 PM
Oh...and how good would GreenEdge look if they had a GENUINE GC rider, such as Cadel, and then add into that Rodgers & Porte from Sky and Renshaw from Rabo!

Scary good.

Hux
14th June 2012, 08:26 PM
How much would Sportsbet be paying for an aussie win in any stage? I reckon we are good for a couple at least.

Sky is an amazing outfit but BMC certainly are a stronger team than last year and they look commited to their main GC rider and during his interview at the Dauphine' Cadel looked to be in a very happy place which has to be great for his mental outlook in the big race.

I hope GE get up with a couple of stage wins as well but I want Cadel to make it back to back - would this make him the most complete rider in cycling history?

It's going to be a great race - Go Cadel!!!!

Dotty
14th June 2012, 09:04 PM
This year, I hope they show more cheese recipes and 14th century monastries.

Ferrins
14th June 2012, 09:09 PM
More interested in how to truss a pheasant.

BrisVegas
14th June 2012, 09:27 PM
I want Cadel to make it back to back - would this make him the most complete rider in cycling history?

It's going to be a great race - Go Cadel!!!!

Cadel has had an amazing career. He seems to be above reproach and extremely well respected by his fellow riders too.

Hard to go past L.Armstrong though, he's proving to be an extremely good triathlete as well. He's a freak. (Assuming he isn't proven to be a cheat). :cry:

LarryLong
14th June 2012, 11:41 PM
Have never watched cycling before, but got hooked in last year when I was channel surfing while on holidays. Might watch a few stages this year. I'm a little disappointed Andy Schleck isn't riding - I actually wouldn't have minded seeing him win one - he seemed a reasonably gracious loser when Cadel Evans knocked him off.

I watched most of it with the sound down, so I still don't know how to make cheese. One thing I do know is that if I was a rider in this thing I would punch at least ten spectators on every big climb.

dave1
15th June 2012, 01:21 AM
Dave1, they are all cheats. The TDF is the worst sporting event of the year. Full of drugs and contrived results. Oh, and Lance Armstrong is in the firing line again:http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/lance-armstrong-faces-fresh-doping-charges-from-usada/2012/06/13/gJQAefnPaV_story.html It might also be that more are getting caughtI still enjoy it.

Ashes
23rd June 2012, 10:44 AM
A week to go now. Can't believe Wiggins comes into this with wins in the Paris-Nice, Tour de Romandie and Criterium du Dauphine under his belt. Ominous form and he has good support, but perhaps he's peaked too early? They're really training rides for the main contenders so hard to know how much to make of it.

Moe Norman
25th June 2012, 10:20 AM
Schleck being out actually hurts Cadel, makes it a head to head battle with Wiggins and they have differing strengths.

If Schleck was in, Wiggins could be worn down in the mountains, far less likely now.

Mububban
26th June 2012, 04:50 PM
Cant wait - bring it on. 3 weeks of stuff all sleep!

Yeah that pretty much sums up the Tour for me too :)

One thing I do know is that if I was a rider in this thing I would punch at least ten spectators on every big climb.

I wonder how hard it is to stay mentally focussed when you've got so many ****wits screaming in your face and spitting their beer so close they could easily pull you off your bike or knock you off.

Ashes
29th June 2012, 01:31 PM
SBS Tour Tracker now available for download in the apps store for those interested. Go Cadel.

Ashes
29th June 2012, 03:22 PM
It will be interesting to see how he goes. TT will hurt him, but some of the climbs this year are the steepest the tour has featured so there will likely be opportunities for him to make a move.

I'm starting to think Nibali might be a show this year.

Captain Nemo
4th July 2012, 08:27 AM
A work collegue told me that Cavendish will abandon the tour b4 the mountains to concentrate on the Olympics?
Has anyone else heard/seen this?
Ive searched the web but found nothing alluding to it?

Ashes
4th July 2012, 08:37 AM
I did read something similar somewhere, but can't recall where sorry. The article I read suggested it would depend on where he sits (ie if he is in contention for the green jersey). He has been doing more endurance work to prepare for the Olympics so it doesn't sound that far fetched to me.

Captain Nemo
4th July 2012, 09:10 AM
I might load up on Sagan to take out the Green Jersey....

ParkRoyal
4th July 2012, 09:17 AM
Sherwen and Liggett have been saying that since the tour began.

Captain Nemo
4th July 2012, 09:22 AM
Interesting.
I dont stay up long enough to hear their commentary, i just catch the highlights show.

mike
8th July 2012, 10:36 AM
Excellent stage last night. Cadel is in this up to his eyeballs.

Love that French scenery.

Ashes
8th July 2012, 01:25 PM
First week has been carnage. Seems to be a 3 horse race now. Wiggins looks to have awesome support with his team, they really showed something Last night.

Had to laugh at Froome suggesting Cadel doesn't have the legs after he took off in the last 50m. I think he's got bigger fish to fry than chasing a nobody.

Nibali will be important in helping break Wiggins.

dave1
8th July 2012, 11:49 PM
Interesting.
I dont stay up long enough to hear their commentary, i just catch the highlights show.

in WA its great finishes abput 11.30 to 11-40

cadel is looking stronger than last year, hes got a better team. Hes never been in position where he should win, will be interesting to see how he and his team handle this. Wiggins I reckon will crack in the Alps

rubin
8th July 2012, 11:51 PM
Dave showing his spectacular knowledge on a topic. :roll:

dave1
8th July 2012, 11:54 PM
Dave showing his spectacular knowledge on a topic. :roll:

I have watched it for ten years straight now, I'd like to think I have picked up something along the way, its the best sporting event to watch - beats golf even beats AFL which I love , its amazing to watch

Ashes
8th July 2012, 11:54 PM
cadel is looking stronger than last year, hes got a better team. Hes never been in position where he should win, will be interesting to see how he and his team handle this.

You mean aside from 2008 when he started favourite and looked in control before Sastre put him to the sword?

rubin
8th July 2012, 11:59 PM
I have watched it for ten years straight now, I'd like to think I have picked up something along the way, its the best sporting event to watch - beats golf even beats AFL which I love , its amazing to watch

Yet your in depth and insightful posts and knowledge seem to indicate different.........

dave1
9th July 2012, 01:50 AM
You mean aside from 2008 when he started favourite and looked in control before Sastre put him to the sword? He wasnt favorite in 2008? ..He was a contender sure ..This year with no andy and no contadod...Hes red hot favorite. He road well today..So did wiggins

Ashes
9th July 2012, 08:42 AM
He wasnt favorite in 2008? ..He was a contender sure ..This year with no andy and no contadod...Hes red hot favorite. He road well today..So did wiggins

2007 he finished 2nd to Contador in one of the closest races in the Tour's history. 2008 Contador wasn't racing as Astana weren't invited and Cadel was the consensus favourite amongst both bookies and experts...

He's not even the favourite this year. Wiggins is the favourite although Cadel is given a huge chance.

goughy
10th July 2012, 06:58 AM
Cadels up against it now, though far from out of it, with plenty of days left. We know he can handle the hills, we'll see what wiggans can do, though his team seem right on top of things, that's for sure.

WBennett
10th July 2012, 07:20 AM
Froome is no spud. He finished second in the Veulta last year, ahead of Wiggins. The guy might find himself in another team as a GC rider next year with legitimate claims to the title.

Captain Nemo
10th July 2012, 09:04 AM
Cadels up against it now, though far from out of it, with plenty of days left. We know he can handle the hills, we'll see what wiggans can do, though his team seem right on top of things, that's for sure.

Long, long way to go....
Another time trial, im sure he'll lift.
Wiggins' team cant keep this pace the whole 3 weeks.... considering they need to look after Cav as well.

Captain Nemo
10th July 2012, 09:05 AM
Froome is no spud. He finished second in the Veulta last year, ahead of Wiggins. The guy might find himself in another team as a GC rider next year with legitimate claims to the title.

Love to see his contract, i'd bet he'll be a G.C team leader in the future...

PerryGroves
10th July 2012, 10:05 AM
Long, long way to go....
Another time trial, im sure he'll lift.
Wiggins' team cant keep this pace the whole 3 weeks.... considering they need to look after Cav as well.

Titleist, when you say look after Cavendish, do you mean they will drop someone back to pace him up the hills in the hope that he can beat Sagan? He's 50/1 to win the points.

Captain Nemo
10th July 2012, 10:08 AM
We'll they are not there to loose...
Word is he's pulling out to save himself for the Olympics.
But yes, id say they will have guys trying to help him over the mountains.....
Beating Sagan is another thing....he'd hate losing to him, wont do his confidence any good heading to London...

rubin
10th July 2012, 10:17 AM
If he was going to, last night would have been the last stage. Not much point continuing unless he thinks he can beat sagan

Captain Nemo
10th July 2012, 10:27 AM
No word he's pulled out yet.
Just had a look, there are killer stages coming up, Sagan may not get over some of those climbs being his first year.
Couple of doras on Cav might be a good bet....

Captain Nemo
10th July 2012, 10:42 AM
Cadel out to over $4....get on!

Chris32
10th July 2012, 10:59 AM
Any of you guys reckon Wiggins will test positive? His performances suggest that its a strong chance to do so

Captain Nemo
10th July 2012, 11:07 AM
Any of you guys reckon Wiggins will test positive? His performances suggest that its a strong chance to do so
Id be surprised after that press conference the other night....google it!

Chris32
10th July 2012, 11:26 AM

Yeah I did see that, which to me adds to my suspicion. As much as I enjoy watching the race, I spend more time thinking about who is on performance enhancing drugs than the race itself!!

dave1
10th July 2012, 11:28 AM
Man Hes skinny (wiggins)

No arms.

Evans will need to attack in the mountains but wiggins looks so fit.

Cadel road ok last night - he lost 1 minute in the first 10km the other 32 km he lost about 40 seconds. Poor start to time trial.

Its not over. As one famous commentator said. A lot can happen and usually does.

Ashes
10th July 2012, 11:52 AM
Going to be very difficult for Cadel from here, as he'll need a reasonable lead coming into the final TT. He and Wiggins are very similar, they're both tempo climbers, and I think Cadel will have trouble dropping him, especially with Froome there to support Wiggins. I think Froome is a better GC prospect than Wiggins to be honest, he could be anything in the future.

Nibali and Menchov are important to Cadel now, he needs a few guys repeatedly attacking Wiggins on the climbs to see if he'll break.

Wiggins and Sky just look so strong. It's like watching Armstrong with US Postal.

Looked like 'roid anger to me.. lol

timah!
10th July 2012, 12:06 PM

Nope, Wiggins has been around a long time, especially at Olympic level. He has been working for a lot of years to come into this road racing system.

dave1
11th July 2012, 11:21 AM
Agree - just worked his butt off

Ferrins
11th July 2012, 11:32 AM
Wiggins will crash and pull out injured, Jackass!

SundayHack
11th July 2012, 11:50 AM
Looking forward to Thursday nights stage. 2 HC climbs and a mountaintop finish. Think this stage will be key if Cadel is to get back into the race.

BrisVegas
11th July 2012, 01:38 PM
Looking forward to Thursday nights stage. 2 HC climbs and a mountaintop finish. Think this stage will be key if Cadel is to get back into the race.

For sure. Looks like another late night!

Leon Phelps
11th July 2012, 02:42 PM
For sure. Looks like another late night!
Can't wait, no work Friday, yiiihaaa

Ashes
11th July 2012, 02:56 PM
FFS, it just occurred to me that I'll be out of the metro area and prob won't have access to sbs or a decent Internet connection...

Leon Phelps
11th July 2012, 03:00 PM
FFS, it just occurred to me that I'll be out of the metro area and prob won't have access to sbs or a decent Internet connection...

If you could get decent 3g the app has live streaming, but considering you are out of metro probably not likely

Ashes
11th July 2012, 03:12 PM
I should be able to get mobile Internet on the iPad, but doubt it'll be fast enough to carry live streaming. Plus I hate to think how much of my quota 2-3 hours of live streaming would chew!

goughy
11th July 2012, 04:59 PM
Don't know if any if you guys are interested in this, but before every stage one if the guys who runs the tri forum I'm in gives us a preview of the stage like this
http://forums.transitions.org.au/index.php?showtopic=56191&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

The most important bit is the viewer ratings, and get up to watch time. He's been doing this for years.

LeftyHoges
11th July 2012, 05:07 PM
Are you shitting me?

That climb up Col du Grand Colombier is absolutely insane. What sort of speed do they hold up that?

Captain Nemo
11th July 2012, 08:01 PM
Absolutely crazy climbs!
HC climbs non rated that's BS!!!!!!!!

goughy
11th July 2012, 08:28 PM
Watching them on the downhills that I love. If cadel is gonna get any time, that's where he'll do it. Probably too early to hope Wiggans (if at all) will get tired on the climbs. But can he descend like cadel, with his mountain biking background? The speeds they get to downhill scare the bejeesus out of me. Was listening to a podcast today where the winner of last years Noosa tri said he hit 104k on the descent during that race last year. I get scared at 60. So I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do tonight. Especially when the cars and motorbikes can't keep with them, especially in the corners.

Ashes
11th July 2012, 08:49 PM
I find the "Cadel is a great descender because of his MTB background" view interesting. I raced downhill mtb's for years and was alright at it, but would describe myself as a very ordinary descender on road. Cadels background in bmx and then mtb no doubt given him a great skills set, but there is a massive different between descending on a mtb and descending on a road bike. It's a bit like growing up playing hockey, baseball or cricket and then taking up golf; it helps but is not guarantee of success.

goughy
11th July 2012, 09:01 PM
I wonder if it comes from the 'no fear' mountain biking and downhilling thing?

Ashes
11th July 2012, 09:05 PM
Not for me. I had absolute no concern for coming off in rocks, but the thought of coming off on bitumen freaks me out.

I could be the exception though, it makes sense that being good off road would translate. It's just a completely different feel for me though, losing traction off road is expected and less on or off than road bikes.

rubin
11th July 2012, 09:40 PM
Not for me. I had absolute no concern for coming off in rocks, but the thought of coming off on bitumen freaks me out.

I could be the exception though, it makes sense that being good off road would translate. It's just a completely different feel for me though, losing traction off road is expected and less on or off than road bikes.

could be the technical aspect of it as well, as well as the bike control.

Eldrick
11th July 2012, 10:14 PM
or could just be the commentators wanking on?

dave1
11th July 2012, 10:16 PM
I find the "Cadel is a great descender because of his MTB background" view interesting. I raced downhill mtb's for years and was alright at it, but would describe myself as a very ordinary descender on road. Cadels background in bmx and then mtb no doubt given him a great skills set, but there is a massive different between descending on a mtb and descending on a road bike. It's a bit like growing up playing hockey, baseball or cricket and then taking up golf; it helps but is not guarantee of success.Yep, good post

dave1
11th July 2012, 10:18 PM
or could just be the commentators wanking on? Those 2 guys on sbs know cycling better than anyone.

timah!
11th July 2012, 10:23 PM
He has shown in previous years that he can gain/make up crazy time going down a hill...

But I think it's like anything, if it's your job, you just do it....

rubin
11th July 2012, 10:25 PM
He has shown in previous years that he can gain/make up crazy time going down a hill...

But I think it's like anything, if it's your job, you just do it....

yep - but in previous years the bloke he was chasing wasn't in the same league as a climber. this year - i reckon 2 mins is a bit too much for him to make up IMO.

timah!
11th July 2012, 10:31 PM
No, but I think he won a stage a few years back on his ability going down hill? Or at least put time on Contador (I think it was 2-3 years ago...)

Given Cadel's ability to go punch for punch with the best climbers in the world, I think come the serious climbs in the next few weeks he'll still be confident...

SundayHack
11th July 2012, 10:47 PM
The difference this year he needs to be a good climber. Last year it was Schlek and Contador trying to put time on him knowing they
weren't going to TT like him. This year he ain't going to TT like Wiggins. And with more or less 3 TT there is a lot of time there. Though I
think Wiggins will break once and when he does Cadel needs to be at his best.

Toolish
11th July 2012, 11:10 PM
I think the mtb thing is a bit of a wank. They had a little feature on cadel on SBS a couple of nights ago and one of the comments from another Alan Pyper (i think) was something along the lines of Cadel not having good bike handling skills when he first come across.

That said, the mentality of mtb may help.

goughy
11th July 2012, 11:14 PM
The difference this year he needs to be a good climber. Last year it was Schlek and Contador trying to put time on him knowing they
weren't going to TT like him. This year he ain't going to TT like Wiggins. And with more or less 3 TT there is a lot of time there. Though I
think Wiggins will break once and when he does Cadel needs to be at his best.

Yes, but last year cadel didn't panic, and I think it was in the 2nd last mountain stage, schleck took off and had something like 4 minutes on cadel and he clawed them back to something less than half that. He can climb, hopefully well enough.

Ashes
11th July 2012, 11:21 PM
That ride last year was phenomenal.

Cadel is up against a superior athlete. Does Wiggins have Cadels guts and heart? We'll find out over the next 2 weeks.

SundayHack
12th July 2012, 12:33 AM
Should have went with Nibali on the descent.

Ashes
12th July 2012, 12:53 AM
Smart ride from Cadel. Nibali and Sky have both worked hard.

Voeckler's a legend. Great finish to the stage.

goughy
12th July 2012, 01:28 AM
Feel asleep. What happened :(

Toolish
12th July 2012, 08:21 AM
Smart ride from Cadel. Nibali and Sky have both worked hard.

Voeckler's a legend. Great finish to the stage.

Voeckler comes across as more of a wanker than a legend to me.

Ashes
12th July 2012, 08:25 AM
Voeckler comes across as more of a wanker than a legend to me.

He's French; it would be strange if he didn't. I've warmed to him over recent years, and to win a stage with that sort of effort and a stuffed knee is pretty impressive.

Chris32
12th July 2012, 10:19 AM
See the French press are now calling SKY team UK Postal. I stand by by comments the other day, Wiggins, that whole teams are a bunch of cheats

timah!
12th July 2012, 11:18 AM
How good was big Jens Voight?!

I think Nibali showed his hand a bit, but not sure if it showed his strength or his weakness. He should have got away on the descent, but as soon as Sagan dropped off went nowhere. So clearly Sagan is his strength, but not really as strong as thought.

Van Den Brook went well to pinch some time, but I think BMC rode a good race, still plenty of solid climbs to go...

Captain Nemo
12th July 2012, 11:24 AM
FWIW, I had a tenner on Nibali at $10 to win the stage last night...gave me a run for my money!

Moe Norman
12th July 2012, 11:28 AM
The lack of Schleck is hurting Cadel.

Wiggins only has to worry about one bloke attacking him in the mountains instead of 2, and that puts him at a huge advantage knowing he is the superior TT

BrisVegas
12th July 2012, 11:41 AM
The lack of Schleck is hurting Cadel.

Wiggins only has to worry about one bloke attacking him in the mountains instead of 2, and that puts him at a huge advantage knowing he is the superior TT

Yeah, it seems that way. Watching last night it never seemed as though Wiggins was troubled. He has amazing support and wheel sucks like a champion. I can't see Cadel dropping him at any point unless something goes wrong with Wiggins or he finds a climb steep enough to really knock the stuffing out of him. I still have hope. Cadel was most impressive last year when he was on his own in the high mountains. He's got a huge ticker.

dave1
12th July 2012, 11:45 AM
Tonight will be great.

Downhill finishes rarely see much change in the overall standings.

Cadel has got nothing to lose by attacking.

SundayHack
12th July 2012, 04:52 PM
Tonight will be great.

Downhill finishes rarely see much change in the overall standings.

Cadel has got nothing to lose by attacking.

Tonight will be a cracker. 2 big climbs and a hilltops finish. Personally I think Cadel has to win this stage and take plenty of time out of Wiggins tonight to have any chance.
Only other stage left with a hilltop finish is stage 17.

goughy
12th July 2012, 05:36 PM
Are you shitting me?

That climb up Col du Grand Colombier is absolutely insane. What sort of speed do they hold up that?

The guy who does the previews on my tri forum timed them, 49 minutes for the climb for the main peleton. That's about the same pace I ride on the flat I reckon :(

He rates tonights stage a 12 out of 10. While technically lots of riding left, I think if something doesn't happen tonight then it may not happen.

Dotty
12th July 2012, 06:04 PM
It's going to be tough for Cadel.

Wiggins is a 21st century Indurain, who picked up a couple of minutes on the time-trials, and limited himself to losing a percentage on the climbs to the specialists.

Unbeatable for 5 years, and only came undone on his swansong in 1996, when he was knocked for six by freezing conditions on the first day in the Alps.

dave1
12th July 2012, 06:57 PM
Tonight will be a cracker. 2 big climbs and a hilltops finish. Personally I think Cadel has to win this stage and take plenty of time out of Wiggins tonight to have any chance.
Only other stage left with a hilltop finish is stage 17.

Geez didnt know that

personally I would like to see all moutain stages be hill top finishes.

but hey thats easy from the lounge chair :mrgreen: . I just think they are more exciting

wiggins will win if he dioesnt make a mistake or crack (which I just cant see)....his time trailing is something to behold

timah!
12th July 2012, 11:55 PM
Let's hope this move sticks!

goughy
13th July 2012, 12:00 AM
They just said what I was thinking. Hopefully cadel can get to the top with some break left and then try and stretch it further down the hill while they aren't with him.

timah!
13th July 2012, 12:05 AM
Needs to get his engine going though :(

BrisVegas
13th July 2012, 12:16 AM
His diesel engine seemed a bit starved of fuel. Probably the fuel filter.

timah!
13th July 2012, 12:27 AM
It did the first trick and thoroughly thinned out the numbers in the group.

SundayHack
13th July 2012, 12:32 AM
Only sport where you see an Australian planning and helping out a Pom to cause a downfall of another Australian. Gee it would be good to see Cadel, Rodgers, Porte all riding for green edge.
Cadel didn't look like he had nothing on that attack. None of the Sky riders look like cracking let alone Wiggins

rubin
13th July 2012, 01:50 AM
I don't think cadel has the goods this year. Working way too hard for little return.

goughy
13th July 2012, 02:01 AM
Seriously dropped, lost a minute in the space of a few k's. Gonna drop back further in the overall, but key is the more time he's lost to wiggans, and the fact that he's been shown up on the hills. Bugger.

goughy
13th July 2012, 02:04 AM
Jeesus, lost nearly 90 secs.

timah!
13th July 2012, 02:05 AM
Yep, not good :(

SundayHack
13th July 2012, 07:33 AM
Just putting it out there is Chris Froom doping? Has come from no where really. Then bang a good vaulta last year, now for mine the
strongest rider on tour. If he wasn't on Wiggins team I'd say he would be leading the race. This seems all a bit suss from a guy who
never performed well at the tour de France.

BrisVegas
13th July 2012, 08:10 AM
Seriously dropped, lost a minute in the space of a few k's. Gonna drop back further in the overall, but key is the more time he's lost to wiggans, and the fact that he's been shown up on the hills. Bugger.

Yeah that was hard to watch.

WBennett
13th July 2012, 08:19 AM
Froome's record is outstanding for a young rider - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Froome

This is only his second Tour, but the Vuelta last year as a domestique was his awakening.

Good luck to him.

Cadel's collapse last night means I can sleep for the final week!

SundayHack
13th July 2012, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=wbennett;824951]Froome's record is outstanding for a young rider - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Froome

This is only his second Tour, but the Vuelta last year as a domestique was his awakening.

Good luck to him.

One previuos tour finishing 84th and a 36th in a Giro were his only other major tours before his "break out" 2nd last year in the Vuelta. Iwouldn't say that
is "outstanding". Just got to be a bit suss on a sport that has a tarnished image.Any idea why it has taken him so long to compete in another tour de France?
2008 till now.

SundayHack
13th July 2012, 10:34 AM
Froome's record is outstanding for a young rider - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Froome

Good luck to him.

Cadel's collapse last night means I can sleep for the final week!

One previuos tour finishing 84th and a 36th in a Giro were his only other major tours before his "break out" 2nd last year in the Vuelta. Iwouldn't say that
is "outstanding". Just got to be a bit suss on a sport that has a tarnished image.Any idea why it has taken him so long to compete in another tour de France?
2008 till now.

goughy
13th July 2012, 11:56 AM
Just putting it out there is Chris Froom doping? Has come from no where really. Then bang a good vaulta last year, now for mine the
strongest rider on tour. If he wasn't on Wiggins team I'd say he would be leading the race. This seems all a bit suss from a guy who
never performed well at the tour de France.

As a team, sky just seem superior in every way. I mean there were 4 of them up front driving that group with just cadel from bmc for a while, and then tj when he dropped back with cadel. I mean Rogers was insane last night; I can't believe how long he kept driving that train. I kept expecting him to crack, but he just kept going. His was one of the rides of the stage if you ask me, just because he did such a perfect team oriented ride last night.

oncewasagolfer
13th July 2012, 03:13 PM
Cadel tried the break away but doesn't have the support like wiggans to sustain it. I can't see him being able to get any time back now, bugger.

Leon Phelps
13th July 2012, 03:39 PM
Cadel tried the break away but doesn't have the support like wiggans to sustain it. I can't see him being able to get any time back now, bugger.

He had support in TJ, but didn't have the legs last night to keep up. He looked shattered, and will be lucky to stay top five, let alone win

dave1
13th July 2012, 07:49 PM
If Cadel's career ended today it would still be one to really admire.

A win in the tour, two 2nds, world mountain bike champion, world road bike champion and Olympian

its an outsanding achievment really from a bloke who isnt built like many mountain climbers

he may "only" finsih top 10 in this tour - probably his last but man hes put cycling on the map in this country big time!

hes done us proud and Im sure he will fight it out to the end in this event also.

well done Wiggins!

goughy
18th July 2012, 06:03 AM
Frank Shleck tests positive, immediately leaves tour
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-18/frank-schleck-tests-positive-on-tour/4137356

D (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-18/frank-schleck-tests-positive-on-tour/4137356)oes it mean anything that it's LA's old team, and isn't it one of it's current management/support team that's implicated in the systemic doping culture within discovery/us postal/RS along with LA?

Edit - should read the whole story I actually posted - their team boss left the tour when he was one of the people named along with LA. More fuel for the fire? And did you see how I didn't post boost by editing and adding my further comments ;)

BrisVegas
18th July 2012, 07:58 AM
Wow!

timah!
18th July 2012, 08:08 AM
Double wow!

Captain Nemo
18th July 2012, 08:36 AM
Does this mean I get a refund ?

:lol:
All in betting i presume!

He wont be the last........:wink:

Ashes
18th July 2012, 08:45 AM
On the juice and riding pretty shit, well done Schleck!

Webster
18th July 2012, 09:02 AM
This Tour de Farce finished yet?

MegaWatty
18th July 2012, 09:25 AM
A diuretic. Warnie's mum strikes again!

dave1
18th July 2012, 10:34 AM
Double wow! Tripple wow..Didnt see this one coming

Coffs_Hacker
18th July 2012, 10:56 AM
I have to say i find the TDF rather crap

Yes the scenery is great, cycling is good, camera work is awsome but from a tacticle point of view its boring as bat shiet. Too team orientated, communications from team bosses to riders throughout the race, head phones and all that crap. No one can make a break without the teams knowing who it is, their position time diff and weather to chase or not. The best rider doesn't win the race.

Just need to see this year. The clown that won the first stage finished near front for first week to hold yellow, lost in first hill stage, then wiggins wins a timetrial and canters home doing next to nothing for the rest of the race.

rubin
18th July 2012, 11:00 AM
I have to say i find the TDF rather crap

Yes the scenery is great, cycling is good, camera work is awsome but from a tacticle point of view its boring as bat shiet. Too team orientated, communications from team bosses to riders throughout the race, head phones and all that crap. No one can make a break without the teams knowing who it is, their position time diff and weather to chase or not. The best rider doesn't win the race.

Just need to see this year. The clown that won the first stage finished near front for first week to hold yellow, lost in first hill stage, then wiggins wins a timetrial and canters home doing next to nothing for the rest of the race.

i think you underestimate how hard those blokes work.

even the guys at the back of the pack going up the steepest climbs are still probably going faster than what you or I can do on the flats.

Secondly, try putting out 350 - 400w on a bike. now try doing it for 4-5hrs consistently. Now keep doing it for 3 straight weeks.

BrisVegas
18th July 2012, 11:01 AM
Yeah I feel a bit that way too actually Craig. I'm sure there's more to it that I don't "appreciate", but it seems to me like Wiggins has been carried along by the Sky team in a procession of sorts. There hasn't been the head to head battles between the top GC contenders, esp. in the mountains like there was last year.

rubin
18th July 2012, 11:28 AM
they haven't really hit the mountains much yet. on the whole, the stages have been relatively flat.

with the peleton entering the pyrenees today, Wiggins, Froom, Evans and Nibali will be out the front IMO.

I think the interesting thing will be if/when evans has a crack. I posted earlier and said that i don't think he has the tank this year, but on review it also appears that he may have been testing wiggins in the earlier climbs. Cadel would push ahead and then even out the pace to see how long it would take for wiggins to respond.

It will be also worth seeing if wiggins can keep up - its been said quite alot that Froom is a far better climber, and not very far off wiggins in the TT. I think if push comes to shove and cadel tries to make a break and wiggins can't keep up - Froom may well have a go and take the yellow by weeks end.

goughy
18th July 2012, 12:05 PM
I totally get where you ate coming from CH. I think threes kotm and sprint points bring some extra interest into the race. The coverage is so good though that I get extra interest from that alone. I think it is one of, if not the best covered event in the world.

dc68
18th July 2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-18/frank-schleck-tests-positive-on-tour/4137356

D (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-18/frank-schleck-tests-positive-on-tour/4137356)oes it mean anything that it's LA's old team, and isn't it one of it's current management/support team that's implicated in the systemic doping culture within discovery/us postal/RS along with LA?

Edit - should read the whole story I actually posted - their team boss left the tour when he was one of the people named along with LA. More fuel for the fire? And did you see how I didn't post boost by editing and adding my further comments ;)

Is anyone surprised? I wonder who poisoned/spiked his food?

goughy
18th July 2012, 07:47 PM
Never surprised.

Late nights-a-coming. Tonight is the night for someone to make a real fist of breaking wiggans. They need to make some time on him tonight and then some more tomorrow. Descent into the finish tonight will be a help if evans can get away on the last climb. If.

dave1
18th July 2012, 10:09 PM
i think you underestimate how hard those blokes work.

even the guys at the back of the pack going up the steepest climbs are still probably going faster than what you or I can do on the flats.

Secondly, try putting out 350 - 400w on a bike. now try doing it for 4-5hrs consistently. Now keep doing it for 3 straight weeks.

I will never forget the bloke from last year that went thru a barbed wire fence.

He had cuts all over him..He got up. Rode the rest of the stage and the finished the whole race!

Every pedal stroke would have f$%&ing hurt like you wouldn't believe.

These guys are not only fit - they are tough as old boot leather.

Most people with that many cuts would have laid in bed for a week ..
He got up and rode his bike over mountains..

It was the most inspirational piece of sporting courage I have seen!

LarryLong
18th July 2012, 10:17 PM
Just about to go up the big climb for the day and we have to watch ten minutes of Gabriel bloody Gate.

Hopefully a couple of those Sky blokes are a bit run down after working hard for Wiggins over the last couple of weeks and we'll get to see how he goes without support. I suspect that it won't matter either way - he looks pretty strong and Evans doesn't seem to have the legs he had last year. I'm warming to Wiggins though. He gets a few marks for abusing reporters and I was quite impressed with the way he pulled things up when everybody was puncturing.

goughy
21st July 2012, 03:05 AM

Frank confirmed today that his b sample was positive.

Sticking to his Bart Simpson defence!

LarryLong
21st July 2012, 05:30 PM
Frank confirmed today that his b sample was positive.

Sticking to his Bart Simpson defence!

What interested me was how it wasn't mentioned at all in the SBS coverage of the first stage after Schleck was pulled out (well, as far as I could tell). It was almost like he didn't exist. I think I only heard Sherwin mention him once, along the lines of "Now that Schleck is missing", and Liggett didn't say a word. They've either been silenced by somebody, or they just think the best way to address the issue is to ignore it. Either way, I don't see how that's good for the sport.

Ashes
21st July 2012, 05:57 PM
What interested me was how it wasn't mentioned at all in the SBS coverage of the first stage after Schleck was pulled out (well, as far as I could tell). It was almost like he didn't exist. I think I only heard Sherwin mention him once, along the lines of "Now that Schleck is missing", and Liggett didn't say a word. They've either been silenced by somebody, or they just think the best way to address the issue is to ignore it. Either way, I don't see how that's good for the sport.

I disagree. I've got no interest in hearing the commentators crap on about it.

timah!
21st July 2012, 06:24 PM
It actually was mentioned a bit.

Ferrins
24th July 2012, 06:14 PM
Channel 9 news just said Cadel has returned from his tour de failure. Fking talking head nobody news readers.

jimandr
24th July 2012, 09:04 PM
Now the dust has settled a bit, some questions need to be asked. I haven't researched any of these scenarios, and the Contador situation affects most of these answers. Is he eligible to compete next year? Or does he have to wait until 2014?

If you are Wiggins (or the SKY team boss): Bearing in mind you are 32 years old, do you bust your guts to do anything to keep the SKY team together and have another red hot go next year? Or do you thank your lucky stars you had a great team behind you in a year where Contador and Andy Shleck weren't racing, and rest on your laurels a bit, particularly if you win a Gold Medal as well?

If you are Chris Froom: do you stay with SKY and wait your turn? or do you accept one of the big offers that will probably come your way to lead another team, taking the risk that your new team won't do what SKY did this year?

If you are Michael Rogers or Richie Porte: As above and possibly enjoy being part of another team victory, or take the money that Greenedge might offer you to lead the team in Italy or Spain?

If you are Cadel Evans: Do you think your time is up and promote Tejay Van Garderen next year? Or do you tell your team manager to get Michael Rogers on the BMC team and have one last crack at the big prize?

If you are Greenedge: Do you plan for another assault on the green jersey? Or make ambitious plans to try to win major tours?

One thing this tour showed is that Australian cyclists are now among the best in the world, and if they all work together they can win things.

Very interesting times ahead.

Toolish
24th July 2012, 10:46 PM
Wiggins will do whatever he can to keep that team together...they reportedly have the biggest budget of all of the teams so can buy/keep a lot of good riders.

Froom is apparently signed for another year. Depending on the course though, he may be their leader next year. If there is more climbing and less TTing then Froom will be number one, or at least should be. I have my doubts over him though, improvement seems to good to be true.

Sky have bought Rogers back from the dead....pretty sure he will stay there.

Porte I can see going to Green Edge, possibly as a GC contender for them.

BMC might go the RSN approach with multiple leaders at the start of next tour. Tejay looked bloody good this year though. Guess it depends what happens in the next 12 months. Not sure if they can get any other mountain men or if they want to. Spent up big on Gilbert and Thor this year, neither are climbers. If they can afford it next year they might have to look at a classics team and a tour team. Too many flat land men in their tour team for my liking.

Greenedge don't have a rider to be a GC contender at the moment...I reckon Porte is the best bet there but not sure of his contract...Goss will be there for Green next year for sure. Hard to see him getting past Cav and/or Sagan for it depending on the route though.

goughy
25th July 2012, 06:41 AM
Rogers won't be going anywhere. He did a bloody great job for sky this tdf. I think froome would have to change teams to become the leader. While he may have outclimbed wiggans, I can't say that he would have beat him had they been in different teams. To say Cadel didn't look great seems to be an understatement, yet he was still top 10! So he wasn't in form, and you can see he was nothing in the hills compared to last year. But I still wouldn't say he won't be the top man for them next year. He did bring a new team a tdf win after all. TJ is young, but he could be given the go ahead in some races. Maybe they'll let him be a bit like cav; no support as such but go do what you want. BMC worked well as a team, I think because they all respect each other too which I think we saw this race.

Don't think greenedge have a gc rider yet, so I think they will still be aiming at stage wins over jerseys. And face it, there was plenty of chatter that when they began it would be years before they would get into the tdf and yet here they are already. They had a great tour of cal if I recall correctly.

Webster
29th July 2012, 09:18 AM
Nice to see a convicted drug cheat winning the road race at the Olympics. Great "sport".....

IamViva
29th July 2012, 09:24 AM
whats with the comments from mark cavendish that australia raced negatively etc? and cadel evans comment about "i dont know what happened up front"?

i dont follow road racing all that much, did something happen in the race or are the brits just being whingers as per usual

Dotty
29th July 2012, 09:25 AM
Nice to see a convicted drug cheat winning the road race at the Olympics. Great "sport".....
And a pommy whinge.

Those other countries didn't help get them, with their plan to get their sprinter to the front of the race by the finish line.

Dotty
29th July 2012, 09:31 AM
whats with the comments from mark cavendish that australia raced negatively etc? and cadel evans comment about "i dont know what happened up front"?

i dont follow road racing all that much, did something happen in the race or are the brits just being whingers as per usual
Rupert Guiness did a good article yesterday, about Olympics being only 5 man teams, no two-way radios on the riders, unfamiliar jerseys, etc.

The poms are their own worst enemy, by declaring their race plan for the last couple of weeks and expecting the rest of the world to work with them. The Olympics is never down to a bunch sprint. If they had any sense, they would have had Millar (or even Froome) in the breakaways, as they could time-trial their way off the front, like Millar has done a couple of times in the TdF.

goughy
29th July 2012, 09:37 AM
Cavendish complained that the Aussies and some others weren't doing enough to bring the peleton back to the chase pack. I watched saw a clip of coverage where the commentators were saying that the brits were up front working and no one else was having a go. Why the aussies would want to bring the peleton back would be beyond me when they had stuey up the front. I would think their best chance of a medal was with someone in the break away. If the full peleton was together at the front it'd have been much harder for us.

Whinging pom - the fastest guy on the day wins the race and he wasn't the fastest. Have a lollipop and suck on that!

goughy
29th July 2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah, no race radios but most teams had 'spotters' on the course and team cars could relay information. Still not the same as having it in your ears. I like the idea.

Ashes
29th July 2012, 09:55 AM
Yeah, no race radios but most teams had 'spotters' on the course and team cars could relay information. Still not the same as having it in your ears. I like the idea.

+1. The way racing should be!