PDA

View Full Version : Golf on free 2 air tv?

UnexplainedWays
11th June 2012, 12:33 AM
I don't have fox, and every now and then scroll through ONE to see if it's on.

Does it ever one on free to air or is it just fox?

matty
11th June 2012, 06:21 AM
Don't know.. I only ever watch it on fox. Probably on free to air a couple of times a year, majors etc

dc68
11th June 2012, 07:57 AM
Only majors and WGC I think.

goonie
11th June 2012, 10:39 AM
Looks like the Masters and maybe some WGC events if we are lucky this year, plus the normal Aus events.

I am guessing 9 won't show the Open again.

Talart
12th June 2012, 03:08 PM
Telecasting the golf is costly with the need for a lot of cameras to cover a course. I have Austar/Fox and it has been noticeable in 2012 that there has been more golf than previously shown. Nation wide events as well as US, Asian and Euro events both PGA and LPGA. Perhaps there is a plan in progress to eventually have a dedicated golf channel on pay tv.

"Channel Ten, the last remaining free-to-air network with a strong focus on local golf, has confirmed it will not cover the Open at The Lakes in Sydney in December.
Of the four big Australian tournaments this summer, only one - the Australian PGA Championship at Coolum in mid-December - has a locked-in broadcast partner. Channel Ten has a contract to cover that tournament for two more years."
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/sport/golf/ten-pulls-the-plug-on-australian-open-20120606-1zwmw.html#ixzz1xYJEvUFs

markTHEblake
12th June 2012, 06:40 PM
Perhaps there is a plan in progress to eventually have a dedicated golf channel on pay tv.

Fox Sports has the paytv rights to major golf events in australia, so that is why the "Golf Channel" cannot syndicate here, as it would not be able to show its primary events. Only Fox Sports could make money out of a dedicated golf channel here, but the reality is they can barely fill out a channel for the AFL or NRL for the year so what chance has a dud sport like golf have?

Daves
12th June 2012, 07:14 PM
I have Foxtel IQ and overdose on Golf every week. The Golf Show, Golfing World, Euro Tour, PGA Tour, Asian Tour, Champions Tour and LGPA, plus a few others at times e.g. Nationwide, Challenge, Australian, plus weekly highlights programs. Then there are the Inside Tour shows, PGA, Euro and Asia most weeks. Plus plenty of specials e.g. tonight it is the 1962 US Open, The Bear's 1st Major. Do we really need more Golf?

Yossarian
12th June 2012, 07:15 PM
What Daves said, I can sit down at almost any stage and watch some golf.