PDA

View Full Version : My PC is stuffed, thoughts on buying a new one

moree golfer
8th June 2012, 01:27 PM
My small form Acer home PC keeps coming up with System Restore messages when we boot it up (but not everytime) and it had a Hard Drive failure within the warranty period some time back. It is over 4 years old and I think it opportune to update it. Ideally I like the Small Form desktop as it doesn't need to be portable, just looking for a sensibly future proofed PC for Office suite usage, browsing interwebs, a bit of streaming but no game use (other than kids education games). Could the gurus on Ozgolf guide me as to the more reliable brands to look at and what I should be making sure I have in terms of ports etc? Not buying a monitor as the one we have is great.

Minor_Threat
8th June 2012, 01:33 PM
If you have the skills the best way to go is to source the parts and build your own!

moree golfer
8th June 2012, 02:28 PM
If you have the skills the best way to go is to source the parts and build your own!
Sadly I don't have the skills. Are you keen to build me one MT 8)?

Daves
8th June 2012, 02:53 PM
MG, 3 computer stores (online also) that I would recommend.

Computer Alliance; I up to about computer no. 5 from these guys, plus I have bought the odd lappy off them as well. Competitive and good service area as back up.
http://www.computeralliance.com.au/

Umart; they have a about 5 store in SEQ. I have bought the odd bits off them, but daughter is a Techie and buys lots of stuff there.
http://www.umart.com.au/

(http://www.umart.com.au/Game)Game Dudes; ditto
http://www.gamedude.com.au/

moree golfer
8th June 2012, 03:57 PM
Bloody fantastic Daves. I'll give them a whirl. I like the idea of backup and warranty for at least 3 years.

dan
8th June 2012, 04:23 PM
Get an imac. Updates coming this year which means old stock should get discounted.

Golfnut
8th June 2012, 04:44 PM
If you want to use your old monitor my suggestion is a mac mini. Check it out on the apple website.

moree golfer
8th June 2012, 04:45 PM
My brother went that way after always being a PC man (he knows way more about 'puters than I ever will) because his wife is into photography and video editing.

moree golfer
8th June 2012, 04:47 PM
If you want to use your old monitor my suggestion is a mac mini. Check it out on the apple website.
Far out that is mini :o Good call GN, I'll look into it as I have an iphone and my wife wants one so that interaction will be betterer. Cheers for the ideas guys, keep them coming.

markTHEblake
8th June 2012, 05:15 PM
My small form Acer home PC keeps coming up with System Restore messages when we boot it up .

Do a clean restore of Windows and you will have a new computer.

Ideally I like the Small Form desktop as it doesn't need to be portable, just looking for a sensibly future proofed PC for Office suite usage, browsing interwebs, a bit of streaming but no game use (other than kids education games)

a 4 year old computer is plenty enough for that purpose. Seriously, stick with what you have.

That will be $50 please.

mike
8th June 2012, 05:57 PM
My small form Acer home PC keeps coming up with System Restore messages when we boot it up I've got an Acer and this happened to me last year. Turns out the hard drive was shot. It was still in warranty at the time.

moree golfer
12th June 2012, 03:32 PM
Do a clean restore of Windows and you will have a new computer.

a 4 year old computer is plenty enough for that purpose. Seriously, stick with what you have.

That will be $50 please.
Mark, as always sage advice, but to earn your $50 can you tell me how I reinstall Windows Vista without a backup disk? I have the sticker on the side of the PC cover, does that help me? I should probably save a few bob up first before updating. I would like to try your suggestion but am a little hesitant. We have a regular backup to a Seagate external drive. If I bought I new PC I would probably have to buy another antivirus licence.

moree golfer
12th June 2012, 03:33 PM
I've got an Acer and this happened to me last year. Turns out the hard drive was shot. It was still in warranty at the time.
This is our second HD, our original was also replaced under warranty.

markTHEblake
12th June 2012, 06:31 PM
Mark, as always sage advice, but to earn your $50 can you tell me how I reinstall Windows Vista without a backup disk? I have the sticker on the side of the PC cover, does that help me? I should probably save a few bob up first before updating.

Are you sure you do not have an Acer branded CD? the name on it may be obscure and not mention windows but it may well be the installer. If not, likely you need to borrow an Windows Vista CD that is branded "For distribution only with a new PC". Any other Vista install CD will not work with your license key.

Also if you never had an install CD there may be a recovery partition on the Hard Drive. You need to look out for a hot key within a few seconds of the computer starting up called Boot Options, usually F12, F8, or F whatever.

kev
12th June 2012, 09:32 PM
Generally Alt F10 for Acer PC's to get to the recovery partition.

moree golfer
13th June 2012, 11:51 AM
I'll check it out tonight, thanks guys. I vaguely recall Boot options upon startup. When I get into the recovery partition is it pretty straightforward? Any steps/tips I will need?

kev
13th June 2012, 01:41 PM
On a current PC the recovery process is straightforward. What they used 4 years ago I have no idea sorry.

markTHEblake
13th June 2012, 06:13 PM
Any steps/tips I will need?

Read, press Ok and Next a lot.

It will wipe all your data.

goughy
4th September 2012, 08:00 AM
Hey MG, only saw this thread when about to ask computer stuff myself. Errol knows a heap about computers, has built a fair few over the years, including stuff for us. But I'm assuming you've sorted this by now.

goughy
4th September 2012, 08:05 AM
I asked this over in the home theatre thread, but maybe this is a better place to ask:

Been thinking for a long time about upgrading our ht PC. Saw this on gizmodo.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/08/un...for-under-700/ (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/08/under-the-hood-build-your-dream-media-centre-for-under-700/)

Don't need os, HDD, or bluray, so that would get the cost down to about 200. Current system has a few problems playing some stuff and runs at about max a lot of the time. So how would what I have compare to something like that system? By problems, it does depend a bit on what I'm using to watch something. Generally my ht is running mediaportal, but sometimes the odd movie doesn't play well. Usually using vlc works, or media player. But It still runs about max and I'd rather it just work in mediaportal.

Currently system:
Foxconn 6150 motherboard
Amd athlon x2 3800 2g dual core (think that's it, was the first series of amd duals)
3g ram
Ati 4500 GPU fanless HDMI out
3 hdd's which I want to keep
Lg bluray
One TV tuner card (would keep)
big thermaltake case, few fans.

The motherboard, CPU and case were built in 2005. The rest has had some upgrades.

I want something I can fit into our cabinet. And it seems that system is also fanless. So does it seem like a good system for what it would cost (not much) and a worthwhile upgrade? And it does seem that it would fit my 3 hdd's in it, am I right? And it would seem I wouldn't need to use the ati video card I have either.

Ducky
4th September 2012, 06:26 PM
Have a look at the "Performance" tab within "Task Manager" on one of the videos that struggles and see what the CPU usage is. It's possible that the GPU could be handing off too much to the CPU which is creating a bottleneck. You may be able to do an upgrade on the cheap by simply replacing the GPU with an AMD 5450/6450 (which won't rely on the CPU as much) for approximately $30. Of course, you will still have the disadvantage of a CPU with a larger manufacturing process which uses more power, generates more heat, and requires better cooling. However, that's nothing a decent heat-sink and efficient low-noise fans couldn't resolve.

goughy
4th September 2012, 07:04 PM
I've done that. The cpu on some stuff barely drops below 90% usage, and that's after stopping any processes I think might be taking up resources. I am using a dedicated gpu card, an ati 4500 or 5400 series or something, a fanless model with 1 think 1g on board.

Ducky
4th September 2012, 08:18 PM
OK. I'm not familiar with MediaPortal, but are you positive it's using DXVA and not software decoding (which runs primarily on the CPU)? Do you have the latest AMD Catalyst drivers installed? Ultimately, it's your call if you want to continue to troubleshoot or just spend the money on upgrading. Be aware that the Aywun mITX enclosure has quite a loud PSU fan, so you'd probably want to perform a volt mod or replace the fan if quiet computing is a priority.

TheAwesom1
4th September 2012, 08:40 PM
Get an imac. Updates coming this year which means old stock should get discounted.

Thinking of getting one of these. Love the IMAC. Plus i can use windows on it also if i need it.