PDA

View Full Version : 15 Clubs (?)

Scifisicko
7th June 2012, 12:07 PM
Arrived at 1st tee in a rush, noticed i had an extra driver in my bag, we were teeing off, i declared 1 of the drivers "out of play" (to two of our 4 including my marker - one of our 4 had already hit off and had gone for a pit stop). I didnt think to tell the extra guy separately, as luck would have it he noticed the extra club late in the round and told me we had lost our fourball match due to the extra club, and that declaring it out of play is not sufficient (whether he heard it or not). Is he right?

Captain Nemo
7th June 2012, 12:12 PM
I would have thought if you declared it to your marker, its all good....?

sms316
7th June 2012, 12:25 PM
No penalty. Penalty for 15 clubs is 2 holes in matchplay anyway, but declaring a club out of play is fine.

virge666
7th June 2012, 12:33 PM
No penalty. Penalty for 15 clubs is 2 holes in matchplay anyway, but declaring a club out of play is fine.

Absolutley.

The whinger is a muppet.

markTHEblake
7th June 2012, 01:17 PM
You cannot declare a club out of play before your round commences only after you have incurred the penalty. Thus later in the round when the extra club was found you were penalized 2 holes from the state of the match, not disqualified.

sms316
7th June 2012, 01:24 PM
You cannot declare a club out of play before your round commences only after you have incurred the penalty. Thus later in the round when the extra club was found you were penalized 2 holes from the state of the match, not disqualified. Since when?

Flowergirl
7th June 2012, 01:34 PM
Rule 4-4 a. "The player must not start a stipulated round with more than 14 clubs." After that the club/clubs can only be declared out of play after the breach has occurred.

timah!
7th June 2012, 01:42 PM
So if he had left his driver on the first tee prior to hitting off and not told anyone, there would have been no breach?

Flowergirl
7th June 2012, 01:48 PM
Rule 4-4 a. "The player must not start a stipulated round with more than 14 clubs."

Dotty
7th June 2012, 01:49 PM
Or declare the other driver as non-conforming, as you can't be certain that the COR is less than .830.

markTHEblake
7th June 2012, 06:32 PM
Since when?

Since ever.

Hawkers2008
7th June 2012, 07:28 PM
Since ever.

+1 There is a decision on this - declaring is no help and the non conforming route would also not work.

Hawkers2008
7th June 2012, 07:31 PM
http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-04/#4-4c/1

markTHEblake
7th June 2012, 07:41 PM
Nice one Hawkers, I like many others are too lazy to read the rule book!

There is also a decision in there somewhere that taking a club out of your bag and placing on the floor of a motorised cart does not get you out of the penalty. If you find an extra club in your bag before you start your round the best option by far is to place it in your opponents golf bag.

Hawkers2008
7th June 2012, 08:03 PM
Nice one Hawkers, I like many others are too lazy to read the rule book!

There is also a decision in there somewhere that taking a club out of your bag and placing on the floor of a motorised cart does not get you out of the penalty. If you find an extra club in your bag before you start your round the best option by far is to place it in your opponents golf bag.

Its actually that one.

timinsa
7th June 2012, 08:36 PM
I only carry 13 bats...so give it to me if it's half decent.

Johnny Canuck
7th June 2012, 09:50 PM
Arrived at 1st tee in a rush, noticed i had an extra driver in my bag, we were teeing off, i declared 1 of the drivers "out of play" (to two of our 4 including my marker - one of our 4 had already hit off and had gone for a pit stop). I didnt think to tell the extra guy separately, as luck would have it he noticed the extra club late in the round and told me we had lost our fourball match due to the extra club, and that declaring it out of play is not sufficient (whether he heard it or not). Is he right?Two weeks ago I had to tell a guy at our club the same thing as he was about to hit off with 15 and one declared out.

paulyboy
7th June 2012, 09:52 PM
It's a pretty dopey rule

timah!
7th June 2012, 10:01 PM
It's a pretty dopey rule

Seems to be a few of those!

LeftyHoges
8th June 2012, 12:35 AM
On the 15 clubs issue, the other day I teed off with my normal 14 PLUS my old mans broken 5 iron (snapped about 1/2 way down the shaft) that I'd taken to repair and forgot to take out of my bag.

Am I DQ'ed???

Johnny Canuck
8th June 2012, 01:28 AM
No.

PeteyD
8th June 2012, 07:35 AM
Broken club is not a club.