PDA

View Full Version : AndyP - How not to swing a golf club

AndyP
23rd September 2005, 02:49 PM
While my confidence is shot with my swing and I've been getting tips from other sources, I may as well post my swing on the forum so the world can see it.

These were taken last December, but it probably hasn't changed too much.
The first shot was a good one, the second one was hooked.

First View (http://members.optusnet.com.au/~apholden/Golf/AndyP_swing.mpg)

Second View (http://members.optusnet.com.au/~apholden/Golf/OS%20-%20AndyP.mpg)

So.......what am I doing wrong?
Or right? (I think I am holding the club on the right end :? )

What I'm screwing up so far:
Not upright enough.
Too far away from the ball.
Wrong grip (Baseball).
Incorrect wrist angle when gripping.
Not enough lower body movement through impact. Belt buckle doesn't finish facing target.
Right forearm too 'stiff'.
Not enough wrist movement through ball (Not sure how to explain that one).

Fire away.

peter_rs
23rd September 2005, 03:14 PM
Andy take with a grain (ok alot :lol: ) of salt.

I agree you have to stand up a little more->which will bring you closer to the ball.

Also have you tired to narrow your stance- The reason (I think) you follow through is limited is your stance is very wide try having your feet under your arm pit line and not outside your shoulders.

Out of interest do you feel like your swinging your fastest before, at or after impact.

jaster
23rd September 2005, 03:19 PM
You are on the right track, most of the things you have highlighted are what I have picked up and also mentioned to you at the range last week.

Here is what I think are the major points.....

1. Standing to far away from ball and stance too wide
2. Bottom hand too weak
3. Can't see your clubface but from your hand position it looks shut at the top
4. Need more hip rotation, not enough going back and coming through it's all arms. Your feet are nearly both flat on the ground, your rear foot should be up and turning around with your hips firing to the target (not swaying, rotating!) *edit* this is of course after impact not before..but really with momentum this should happen automatically.
5. This is probably the worst fault IMO and the one I would be working hardest on, you are swaying too much into the ball. Sure a little bit of backwards movement is fine (Curtis Strange for example) but the forwards movement will cause you to be too inconsistent with your angle of approach...i.e. If your timing is out you will hif fat or thin shots more than normal.

Hope this helps

BrisVegas
23rd September 2005, 03:21 PM
Focus on the setup. It takes absolutely zero physical ability to get your posture, alignment, grip and equipment fit right. If you get these fundamentals right, you're well on your way....

It doesn't matter how athletic, coordinated or skilled you are.... If you're not starting from a proper setup, any swing you make is a compensation.

Jarro
23rd September 2005, 03:23 PM
i'd like to make a comment or two, but i can't see the videos :?

so i wont say anything.

AndyP
23rd September 2005, 03:28 PM
i'd like to make a comment or two, but i can't see the videos  :?
Did you try right click, save as, instead of just clicking on them?

3oneday
23rd September 2005, 03:34 PM
So.......what am I doing wrong?  
Or right? (I think I am holding the club on the right end :? )from what I can see......

you need a new set of irons :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jarro
23rd September 2005, 03:38 PM
Did you try right click, save as, instead of just clicking on them?

umm, .... no :oops:

Choppa
23rd September 2005, 03:38 PM

so i wont say anything.

But you just did :?

3oneday
23rd September 2005, 03:46 PM

so i wont say anything.

But you just did :?how else do you reckon he has a post count approaching 6,500 :?: :roll:

markTHEblake
23rd September 2005, 08:05 PM
Focus on the setup.  It takes absolutely zero physical ability to get your posture, alignment, grip and equipment fit right.  If you get these fundamentals right, you're well on your way....  

So how come 99% of golfers have a crap setup?" :?

Ona
23rd September 2005, 09:23 PM
Andy do you feel like you use rotation to whirl the club through the ball or is it more of a push with the right arm? Would you say that you use a shoulder turn takeaway?

I don't think your stance is too wide. Going by these clips I can't see how anyone can say it is :?

If you want to increase your hip turn in the follow through turning out your left foot may help.

Keza_G
23rd September 2005, 10:06 PM
If I may comment...

AP.... I like the smooth transition of your swing, I like the impact position of the first view, I like the strength flowing from the right arm...

These are all good indications of a good swing that can get you around a course, but a few flaws can make that journey a very long one....

What do you NOT like about your swing.....? If I was to offer you advice on your swing, firstly I would say that minute changes make massive differences to the overall swing but can still feel like part of the swing...ie changing your finger positioning in your grip may not feel like much but can help to enhance the overall package. Minimal changes...

I would firstly say to you.... AP.... you have a great swing, but we can improve on that. I'd like to see you set up with your weight on the balls of your feet... On your takeaway I'd like you to feel the weight on the inside ball of your right foot, cause on the weight transfer it will move to the outside ball of your left foot...

Damn it's hard to write this, I can model it but it's hard to describe....

If any of that can help you progress let me know and I'll "feed" you some more...

Cheers

Keza

jaster
23rd September 2005, 10:33 PM
Found this tonight AndyP, explains a little what I was saying about the upper body sway :)

http://i.timeinc.net/golfonline/images/instruction/privatelessons/address/90.5.ph.1.gif

It's enticing for many players to take a powerful cut at the ball. However, in trying to build a solid base for a big swing, it's common for the golfer to widen his or her stance until the feet are spread too far apart -- wider than shoulder-width. A wider stance may feel powerful, but it actually restricts the proper weight shift and lower-body coil.

Your stance should be wide enough to supply a solid foundation, but narrow enough to allow lower-body movement. The happy medium is when the feet are about shoulder-width apart. From this stance, your hips should be able to turn freely and your weight should move smoothly from foot to foot without any upper-body sway.

Proper stance width also helps regulate swing speed so you don't lose control of the clubhead: You can swing as hard as you want so long as you keep your balance, which is largely a function of stance. If you can't maintain balance with your feet spread properly, it's a signal that you're swinging too hard. Rather than spreading your feet to accommodate a fast motion, throttle down with the upper body. You won't lose power by keeping your stance narrow because what you sacrifice in arm power will be made up for by an active lower body.

http://www.golfonline.com/golfonline/instruction/privatelessons/address/0,,90_5_ph.html

Ona
23rd September 2005, 11:54 PM
Well, all I can say is that Andy's too wide stance doesn't seem to stop him from making a nice hip turn. Just look where his belt buckle is pointing. Why you would need any more turn that that I don't know.

Can an upper body sway be caused by too wide a stance, I guess, if they say so. But when I compare Andy's width (stance width you sick perverts) to others, I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7289/untitled8ry.png

Ernie and Vijay go alright with no more hip turn than our man Andy. Their stance width isn't much different either.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8633/turn1sv.png

JMHO, I'm no expert.

jaster
24th September 2005, 01:36 AM
I agree totally with Keza and having watched Andy on the range last weekend it is evident that he has fantastic timing and hand/eye co-ordination as evidenced by the pure strikes that he was able to produce.

Ona - Nice post and let me say that if Andy is comfortable with his stance then it is probably a non-issue although Ernie and Vijay are a fair bit taller than AndyP and the normal golfer so they will have a wider stance than the norm. I also feel that a wide stance is great if you keep your head still during your swing but I see Andys move back and up (although he does a fantastic job of returning it to nearly the same position at impact) which is my major concern as I stated, this amount of sway leads to inconsistent contact especially with irons. Horizontal movement is ok but vertical movement almost always causes problems (except if you are Freddy jacobsen who has the worst swing in professional golf but also the best short game ;) :lol:)

What do you think is the cause of it if not the stance? (This is a legit question by the way not a shot at you in any way, shape or form.)

Jono
24th September 2005, 06:39 AM
AndyP,

You let your club get way behind you during the first part of the back swing and you are "across the line" at the top (ie. your club is pointing way right of your target). Also you have a closed clubface at the top (ie. the club face is pointing to much skyward).

From there you make an "over the top" move to reroute the club. This can cause pulls or pull hooks with the closed clubface.

The Vijay shaft drill may help you. Have a look at the video I took with Jaster has kindly hosted:

http://jaster1mereel.tripod.com/vijaygate.MPG

Stick the shaft in the ground parallel to the shaft angle of your club at address. This will prevent you from taking the club too much on the inside at the start of the backswing. Feel that you are pushing the hands away from the body a bit, instead of bringing it around you with the body too much.

Good luck.

Ona
24th September 2005, 12:37 PM
Jaster, I'm not sure. I think that a shoulder turn takeaway can contribute, which is why I asked if that's what Andy uses. My own experience tells me that a stationary head is something that can be trained in isolation. Without changing anything else, you can work on and achieve a stationary head and as long as you don’t introduce a hip sway into the backswing, it's likely that other components will change for the better as a bonus. At least that's how it went for me.

It looks like Andy doesn't rotate the face open in the takeaway, and tries to hold it square in the follow through. That’s why I asked if he pulls/twirls or pushes/drives. Without first knowing that, I wouldn't want to comment on whether or not that is a concern.

AndyP
26th September 2005, 09:58 AM
Wow! Didn't expect such a reaction, as it was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek post.

Disclaimer: All advice given will be taken with a grain of salt, as I don't believe any of you are teaching pros. ;)

Out of interest do you feel like your swinging your fastest before, at or after impact.

Andy do you feel like you use rotation to whirl the club through the ball or is it more of a push with the right arm? Would you say that you use a shoulder turn takeaway?
I never really think about the technical parts of my swing. I just step up and hit it. (I play golf....not golf swing :mrgreen: )
I probably push with the right arm, as opposed to using rotation. Don't know if I can answer the other questions. The coach the other night, was definitely trying to get me to rotate through the ball (I woke up quite sore the next morning). I guess on the night, my belt buckle didn't finish facing towards the target.

5. This is probably the worst fault IMO and the one I would be working hardest on, you are swaying too much into the ball. Sure a little bit of backwards movement is fine (Curtis Strange for example) but the forwards movement will cause you to be too inconsistent with your angle of approach...i.e. If your timing is out you will hif fat or thin shots more than normal.
One thing I am definitely guilty of is an inconsistent angle of approach. I go through patches of hitting it thin or fat.
To answer Keza's question, inconsistency would be something that I would want to change about my game.

Am I going to work on any changes? Who knows?
I thought about going to the range yesterday to play around with a couple of things and provide an updated video on my swing, but opted to sit on the couch and play the Playstation instead. :roll:
I'm just not a big practice person, and much prefer to be playing out on the course.
I don't have any golf rounds planned for the coming month yet, so maybe I will hit a few balls at a range. Maybe.

The problems I listed in the first post were problems identified by other people, not myself.
However, there are a couple of things I have been feeling uncomfortable with lately, such as, grip and stance.
Maybe if I can just look at these first, other things may fall into place.

BrisVegas
26th September 2005, 10:05 AM
AndyP - want to go to Willawong Wed night?

AndyP
26th September 2005, 10:08 AM
AndyP - want to go to Willawong Wed night?
I'll get back to you tomorrow. Might be allowed to, after having a non-golfing weekend.

jaster
26th September 2005, 10:58 AM
If you get Q Motions (http://www.qmotions.com/about_qmotions-golf/what_is_it.aspx) and Tiger Woods 2004 then you can practice without leaving your lounge room and play with your PC all at the same time :P

http://www.qmotions.com/images/swing_trainer.jpg

Keza_G
27th September 2005, 07:28 PM
Disclaimer:  All advice given will be taken with a grain of salt, as I don't believe any of you are teaching pros.  ;)

WAITING FOR INFORMATION ON THAT AREA AP !!!! :) :) :) :wink:

Cheers

Keza

AndyP
27th September 2005, 08:23 PM
Disclaimer: All advice given will be taken with a grain of salt, as I don't believe any of you are teaching pros........yet.

jaster
27th September 2005, 08:53 PM
:roll:

Jarro
28th September 2005, 04:31 AM
Disclaimer:  All advice given will be taken with a grain of salt, as I don't believe any of you are teaching pros........yet.

good idea :wink:

if you're fair dinkum, you'll go and have a lesson with a PGA pro.

BrisVegas
28th September 2005, 08:13 AM
Jarro - How many of us are "fair dinkum" about building our golf games under the regular watchful eye of a PGA pro??? :roll:

I know I'm not. I make little tweaks every now and again to correct faults, but I simply don't have the time or money to commit to anything more. I suspect AndyP would much rather play golf with his ozgolf mates than beat range balls and take weekly lessons from a pro.

miro
28th September 2005, 08:28 AM
AndyP

Can't see the videos but may I ask;

- do you have a problem with hooks?

If so it is highly likely related to your grip. The baseball style grip allows the bottom hand (right hand for righties) to become too active in the swing thus closing the clubface and leading to hooks. I tried it for a little while and whilst initially I hit the ball great the hooks came a knocking shortly thereafter. The golf swing is very strongly governed by the lead arm (left for a rightie) -see all the impact shots of VJ and his right hand has virtually left the club. Spend some time working on the feeling of pulling through with the left side from the top and see what a difference it makes.

As a small side note the odds are you are not strong enough in your lead arm (I wasn't / still aren't) - to demonstrate this the Pro I have lessons from (he is about 60) gave me a left handed arm wrestle and just about snapped my arm off. He can swing, chip and putt left arm only -try it and you will see how much control you lose as your arm isn't strong enough. The odds are you won;t even be able to putt smoothly left arm only.

AndyP
28th September 2005, 08:58 AM
Jarro - How many of us are "fair dinkum" about building our golf games under the regular watchful eye of a PGA pro???

I know I'm not. I make little tweaks every now and again to correct faults, but I simply don't have the time or money to commit to anything more. I suspect AndyP would much rather play golf with his ozgolf mates than beat range balls and take weekly lessons from a pro.
Yep, that's pretty much where I am at.
I've never even done tweaking to my setup/swing, so maybe it's time that I just check a couple of things, starting with the grip.
Maybe I'll tag along to Mitchell's lessons and learn something later on. ;)

- do you have a problem with hooks?

If so it is highly likely related to your grip. The baseball style grip allows the bottom hand (right hand for righties) to become too active in the swing thus closing the clubface and leading to hooks.
Wasn't a big problem until recently. I have been putting some savage hooks on the 3W and rescue, and occasionally the driver.
A few months ago, I was more likely to slice it. I've got no idea what I have changed since then. :?

AndyP
3rd October 2005, 12:38 PM
These are a couple of clips taken last Wednesday night, when I was working on stuff at Willawong range.
I got a couple of tips on my setting up from a 7 handicapper (who wants to play off 9).

Post Change Behind View (http://members.optusnet.com.au/~apholden/Golf/APH_Sep05_BehindView.mpg)
Post Change Side View (http://members.optusnet.com.au/~apholden/Golf/APH_Sep05_SideView.mpg)

Changed my grip.
Previously had the grip in the palms of my hands. I've now corrected my grip, taking the club in the fingers, and am lucky enough to have the swing-rite grip guides on the grips of the Prizms to help me. At the moment, I'm going to stick with the ten-finger (baseball) grip, and not the overlap.

Now closer to the ball.
Instead of reaching out with the arms, I have now dropped them straight down. Before my arms were getting near parallel with the shaft, now I have a bit of wristcock (love that word).

Changed stance/posture.
Feet now closer together. Trying to keep weight on the front of my feet. Bit of a kneebend, but more upright.

Anywho, you can see some of that stuff in the clips.

Took the swing to a golf course yesterday. Some of the bad shots were really bad. Big, big push/slices.
Might take a while to develop feel chipping with the new grip too.
But the good shots felt orgasmic.
It was only really the driver that didn't give me any encouragement with the new changes. They were going waaaaayyy right.

So am I heading in the right direction? (Someone has already told me that I'm not)

Jarro
3rd October 2005, 01:44 PM
Jarro - How many of us are "fair dinkum" about building our golf games under the regular watchful eye of a PGA pro???   :roll:

I know I'm not.  I make little tweaks every now and again to correct faults, but I simply don't have the time or money to commit to anything more.  I suspect AndyP would much rather play golf with his ozgolf mates than beat range balls and take weekly lessons from a pro.

i actually only meant he have 1 lesson, to get the basic's ... then take it from there himself .... as any good Ozgolfer would :wink: :lol:

i'm not one that has lessons every other week either ... i'm not bloody made of money you know :lol:

AndyP
3rd October 2005, 06:12 PM
Links fixed. Should be able to view the swing mpgs now.

http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=58098#58098

jaster
3rd October 2005, 06:48 PM
Ok Andy.....

I can see some of the changes you have made quite clearly, well done for making the commitment to fix things. I think your feet are a little too close together now though...just a little bit wider (1 - 2 inches) so you are a little more stable, although if anything I err on too close than too wide and it dosn't seem to cause me many problems thankfully.

2 things I see straight up that would make you far more consistent with work are.....

1. You need to shorten your backswing as you are overswinging your arms by about nearly a foot!! ....look at these pics. This is causing you to basically "Reverse Pivot"

Good postion....

http://img321.imageshack.us/img321/1410/andypgood4ll.jpg

Bad position

http://img321.imageshack.us/img321/5954/andypbad6qm.jpg

The movement you are making from the first picture to the second picture is all arms, you will not see any increase in distance from going this much further and if any will lose consistency and therefore distance. Nothing wrong with going past parallel...Phil and Daly are great examples but they keep turning the whole time they are swinging back creating massive torque and coil, all you are doing is wasting energy and making it hard for you to keep you angles.

2. You are coming across the line too much at the top....again mainly from overswinging as noted above. Look at these 2 pics.

Good position

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/8571/andypgoodbehind3oq.jpg

Bad postion

http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/7807/andypbadbehind6gv.jpg

IMO all you need to do is work on shortening the swing and making it look like the first pics and you will fix most of your problems, your shaft could be a little more "at the target at the top" but really you are lucky, it's not as though you need a major reconstruction :)

jaster
3rd October 2005, 06:56 PM
Also, forgot to note...in the first pic from behind your clubhead is in a great postion...not too shut and not too open..well done 8)

Ona
3rd October 2005, 09:13 PM
If I were you, right now i'd be putting the vast majority of my efforts into impact alignments. gotta get those hands out infront of the clubhead. I would work on maintaining the bent right wrist untill after impact, making sure that I could straighten the right arm without unbending the wrist. During the odd moment when I wasn't working on my impact alignments I'd be following exactly what Jaster said.

I rarely play golf, no handicap and never had a lesson. Don't listen to me

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6521/thdh0ve.png

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/4748/dfhdh0hd.png

Toolish
4th October 2005, 08:36 AM
Ona...i know you love the bent right wrist at impact, and it is something I too have trouble with...as you well know!!

Now, any ideas how to work on it? Drill etc rather thatn just hitting balls?

Ona
4th October 2005, 09:14 AM
There's always the impact bag (or replacement) drills. You could hit little chips in the backyard, from various ball positions. Get infront of a mirror and swing from right hip to both arms straight and as they say LOOK LOOK LOOK. Do one handed motions to get the feel of what each hand needs to do. That was a good one for me just recently. Individually I had no probs keeping the wrists as I wanted, but with both hands on the club everything went wrong. I eventually realised I was running out of right arm bend before impact when the ball position was forward, making a wrist flip unavoidable. So now I get my right shoulder further downplane (to retain the elbow bend), my wrists are behaving themselves and my hooks with the hybrid, 3wood and driver are history :)

Toolish, you have access to people like Lynn, Brian, Paul and their off-siders. Go ask them and stop stroking my ego, you'll be doing yourself and everyone else a favour :lol:

Jarro
4th October 2005, 09:19 AM
Ona...i know you love the bent right wrist at impact, and it is something I too have trouble with...as you well know!!

Now, any ideas how to work on it?  Drill etc rather thatn just hitting balls?

Gary Edwin likes the use of impact bags.

Just press against it at the address position and push your hands forward .... this creates the sensation of having the hands press forward at impact.

AndyP
4th October 2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks gents.

I was definitely aware of my overswinging of the club, and it was there before the recent changes. I've just never addressed it before. :oops:

So far, it's only been setup things that I have changed, and the swing changes just followed. Changing things in the actual swing is a bit harder. Getting rid of the overswing shouldn't be a huge problem, but changing my impact alignment might take some work.

I don't want to confuse myself with too many thoughts when over the ball at this stage, but this thread ain't going anywhere, so it will be easy to come back to.
For this weeks range session I will try to continue to drill in what I have been working on to date, and probably widen that stance a little.

jaster
4th October 2005, 10:36 AM
Good work Andy...swing thoughts for this week...

1. Widen Stance

2. Hit Punch shots with all clubs including driver ;) Trust me :lol:

AndyP
10th October 2005, 03:36 PM
Bit the bullet and changed to the overlap grip. Hopefully I'm doing it right.

I'm pretty sure I'm not overswinging the club either. Although I still have to consciously think about it. A practice swing beforehand helps too.

The bad shots are starting right of the target and slicing, especially the driver.

Jono
10th October 2005, 05:58 PM
There's always the impact bag (or replacement) drills. You could hit little chips in the backyard, from various ball positions. Get infront of a mirror and swing from right hip to both arms straight and as they say LOOK LOOK LOOK.  Do one handed motions to get the feel of what each hand needs to do. That was a good one for me just recently. Individually I had no probs keeping the wrists as I wanted, but with both hands on the club everything went wrong. I eventually realised I was running out of right arm bend before impact when the ball position was forward, making a wrist flip unavoidable. So now I get my right shoulder further downplane (to retain the elbow bend), my wrists are behaving themselves and my hooks with the hybrid, 3wood and driver are history  :)  

Toolish, you have access to people like Lynn, Brian, Paul and their off-siders. Go ask them and stop stroking my ego, you'll be doing yourself and everyone else a favour  :lol:

Ahh ... you have the little yellow book ... :wink: Have you seen the Ben Doyle video?

Ona
10th October 2005, 07:07 PM
which one. dl'ed one of the lesson clips, though on dial-up, IT WASN'T WORTH IT! :evil:

AndyP
25th November 2005, 07:54 PM
After losing the plot recently, and having some real inconsistency, especially with the irons, I went to the range this arvo.

Looked like a wasted session for half a bucket (ask Gaz how frustrated I looked), until I went back to the wedges, and the following popped back into the brain.

Started hitting it nicely again and the session became productive. Hopefully I can take this out onto the golf course.

Might be time for another video clip soon.

markTHEblake
25th November 2005, 08:12 PM
Andy you are not 'overswinging', and attempting to stop it is only going to be another compensation to compensate for other faults and compensations.

The same goes for using an impact bag and trying to correct your hand position at the ball - waste of time and energy

In fact when i looked at these pics i could have sworn i was looking in the mirror, you do exactly what i am doing - reverse pivot and then the flip.

hopefully i havent stuffed up your weekend by now, I'll reserve showing you what i mean and what to do after the champs, unless you ask.

but the secret is, get into the correct position in the backswing. the rest will look after itself.

jaster
25th November 2005, 08:29 PM
After losing the plot recently, and having some real inconsistency, especially with the irons, I went to the range this arvo.

Looked like a wasted session for half a bucket (ask Gaz how frustrated I looked), until I went back to the wedges, and the following popped back into the brain.

Started hitting it nicely again and the session became productive. Hopefully I can take this out onto the golf course.

Might be time for another video clip soon.

Ahhh...finally....told you mate ;)

AndyP
26th November 2005, 01:39 AM
In fact when i looked at these pics i could have sworn i was looking in the mirror, you do exactly what i am doing - reverse pivot and then the flip
Blakey, those pics/vids are from two months ago. Who knows if I am doing the same thing as then. I didn't keep up the practice as I should have to drill in the new setup, so I don't know what bad habits I've picked up. I may have started overswinging.

As I said, next range session I have, I will film my swing again.

AndyP
2nd December 2005, 01:55 PM
Hey Pip I noticed something.
In the first swing seq at Hope Island notice where your left hip is at address and then at impact. I reckon you've slid it thru 6 inches.
I was always under the impression you should pivot on this point not slide it thru...espesh not 6 inches.

Let me know if you need to fix it, and if you can fix it....I do the same thing.
WTF are you on about? Why did you dig that up?

That swing is old for me anyway, so it's probably not relevant anymore.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

AndyP
2nd December 2005, 04:30 PM
When I post my next swing vid up, you can go nuts, 69er.

terryand
2nd December 2005, 05:17 PM
And with your swing 9'er,none of us would have enough time our hands :wink:

Terry.

Moe Norman
4th January 2006, 11:26 AM
noting wrong with the baseball grip, myself and Justin Leonard use it!

AndyP
4th January 2006, 11:30 AM
noting wrong with the baseball grip, myself and Justin Leonard use it!
I thought if I was changing a few other things, I may as well make the change there too.
The new grip has just started to feel more natural in the last few rounds, and I am having to consciously think about it less.

Moe Norman
4th January 2006, 11:42 AM
i tried once, I felt like I was playing a different sport so I buggered it off.

i don't want to 'get used to' an uncomfortable grip, I just want to grip it comfortably.

AndyP
18th January 2006, 02:44 PM
AP, are you still working on your swing changes and preshot routine?
Yes.  Still not completely settled.

The first few months of the cap going out from July can be attributed to an actual form slump with the old setup, the rest of the time was getting used to the new setup.

And I don't go to the range as much as what I should to get the changes ingrained, so I've been taking two steps forward, one step back.

I took some video on Saturday of my swing, but haven't had a chance to post it yet.  The swings weren't that good anyway, because it was getting near the end of the session and some tiredness was creeping in.  Hopefully I'll be able to get them up next week.

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 01:33 PM
A visit to the range last night showed me that my setup position had changed over the last couple of months, and I was bending too much.

Tried to keep myself more upright. It felt particularly weird with the wedges in the hands as it felt like I was right on top of the ball. It definitely felt like the club was sitting better though.

I guess this is what happens when you don't practice.

Eag's
2nd March 2006, 04:03 PM
A visit to the range last night showed me that my setup position had changed over the last couple of months, and I was bending too much.

Tried to keep myself more upright. It felt particularly weird with the wedges in the hands as it felt like I was right on top of the ball. It definitely felt like the club was sitting better though.

I guess this is what happens when you don't practice.

Yes I did notice this at Gailes the other day Andy but was reluctant to say anything during our matchplay battle :smt002 didn't want you thinking I was trying to throw you off your game :)

AndyP
2nd March 2006, 04:27 PM
You didn't want me to start hitting it sweet...

You're right though, I would have dismissed advice during a round, and worked on it afterwards.

Jarro
2nd March 2006, 04:31 PM
always listen to Eag's when he comments on your swing ;)

he's usually right on the money 8)

Keza_G
9th March 2006, 06:56 PM
http://i1.zvhost.com/1/n/n3270ef4.jpg (http://www.zippyvideos.com/6866449294190066/andyp/*kezag)

Cheers

Keza

Keza_G
9th March 2006, 06:57 PM
oops...

connico
9th March 2006, 07:46 PM
its not working...:) but you already know that lol

Keza_G
9th March 2006, 07:49 PM
Edited... try it again...

Cheers

Keza

AndyP
10th March 2006, 09:35 AM
Beautiful dropkick down the middle.

Jarro
10th March 2006, 10:03 AM
.. was that the 3 wood ???

only advice i'd give, for what it's worth comming rom a fellow 12 capper, is maybe widen your stance a bit ... get yourself a bit more stable over the ball

AndyP
10th March 2006, 10:17 AM
.. was that the 3 wood ???

only advice i'd give, for what it's worth comming rom a fellow 12 capper, is maybe widen your stance a bit ... get yourself a bit more stable over the ball
Yep, the 3 wood.

Isn't it funny how my stance was too wide last year?
My setup seems so inconsistent and changes from month to month.....