PDA

View Full Version : What A Shot

Paddy
4th June 2012, 08:24 AM
Watching Tiger win the Memorial today was like watching the player who was close to unbeatable a few years ago.
That shot on 16 was so close to impossible I can`t think of anyone other than maybe mickleson who could pull off a shot like that under that type of pressure.
It seemed that shot gave him the confidence to really finish off his round.
I have never been a huge fan of Tiger Woods but I feel very lucky to watch the best golfer to ever play the game.

popper81
4th June 2012, 08:40 AM
I just saw the shot on the news... It was impressive! No matter what people think of Tiger, he makes some big plays at big times.

sms316
4th June 2012, 08:47 AM
I thought it was incredibly selfish of Phil Mickelson to withdraw for the attention.

virge666
4th June 2012, 08:50 AM
Faaarrrrrrk !

How about a bloody spoiler warning ya muppet.

:cry:

Hamo84
4th June 2012, 08:53 AM
for those who havnt seen the shot

http://www.pgatour.com/video/r/highlights/top_shots/2012/06/03/mine12memorialrnd4162ndwoodspgat-2118324/index.html

I think its better than Fat Phils flop at the masters

Captain Nemo
4th June 2012, 09:47 AM
:smt107

Jarro
4th June 2012, 09:51 AM
He was lucky it hit the hole actually :roll:

3oneday
4th June 2012, 10:00 AM
He was lucky it hit the hole actually :roll:fell in the edge, would have been 3 inches past if it missed and he still would have won.

Dumb Qldrs :p

Jarro
4th June 2012, 10:01 AM
fell in the edge, would have been 3 inches past if it missed and he still would have won.

Dumb Qldrs :p

Yeah true, it just fell in..... awesome shot really ;)

Hux
4th June 2012, 10:02 AM
That's the old tiger. Complete with post shot reaction pumping himself up .

sms316
4th June 2012, 10:12 AM
So where does this leave Tiger on the all-important Fed Ex Cup?

Captain Nemo
4th June 2012, 10:21 AM
http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/current/02394_projections-1.html?navid=nav:fedexcup_projected_standings

Dotty
4th June 2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah true, it just fell in..... awesome shot really ;)
+1

Larry Mize would have gone at it harder than that.

chinaski
4th June 2012, 11:00 AM
Watched it live and jumped off the couch with a yelp. Wow! He had a pretty awful lie too. Frickin' amazing.

LowTee
4th June 2012, 12:09 PM
Great stuff and great for golf now why can't the Aussies hit shots like that!

THEDUKEOFCORNWALL
4th June 2012, 12:31 PM
Rasist caddies

oncewasagolfer
4th June 2012, 12:46 PM
Awesome shot!

LarryLong
4th June 2012, 12:52 PM
He wouldn't have to do things like that if he just hit his ball on the green in the first place. What a chopper!

Craig_Syd
4th June 2012, 01:48 PM
The world is a better place when Tiger is playing well! Hope he can string a few together now.

dave1
4th June 2012, 02:57 PM
So where does this leave Tiger on the all-important Fed Ex Cup?3rd - according to commentary on fox.His chip was phenomenal - it was perfectly judged as it landed on the fringe!...Felt for levin....For 13-14 holes he held it together..At one stage he led by 3 - je then collapsed ...Levin didnt have a cigarette in the last 5 or 6 holes:-? - maybe thats what cost him :-).

sms316
4th June 2012, 03:52 PM
3rd - according to commentary on fox.His chip was phenomenal - it was perfectly judged as it landed on the fringe!...Felt for levin....For 13-14 holes he held it together..At one stage he led by 3 - je then collapsed ...Levin didnt have a cigarette in the last 5 or 6 holes:-? - maybe thats what cost him :-). Nobody using a cheat stick deserves to win.

Hamo84
4th June 2012, 04:03 PM
The world is a better place when Tiger is playing well! Hope he can string a few together now.

totally agree here, when he is playing well and is playing some of 'those shots' it makes for more interesting viewing

Dcanto
4th June 2012, 04:45 PM
Nobody using a cheat stick deserves to win.

I must admit that I thought the same thing.

BrisWesty
4th June 2012, 04:45 PM
Pfft. DC did better on the last at Pelican Waters! ;-)

markTHEblake
4th June 2012, 05:45 PM
Overrated, I have hit better shots than that.

simmsy
4th June 2012, 06:50 PM
I hit a shot like that on satdy at KB. Ask Shadesy. For bird as well.

idgolfguy
4th June 2012, 06:54 PM
Where does that put you on the Fedex?

Shadesy
4th June 2012, 07:32 PM
I hit a shot like that on satdy at KB. Ask Shadesy. For bird as well.

Lol! Eerily similar!

BenM
4th June 2012, 08:39 PM
Not much margin for error in that shot. I'd have bladed it into the water (or hit it fat because I was scared of blading it).

Good to see Tiger is back in the winning way.

Hux
4th June 2012, 09:45 PM

I've attempted better....managed to blade it into the drink though.

mike
4th June 2012, 11:06 PM
His chip in on the 16th @ Augusta a few years back was better.

timinsa
4th June 2012, 11:31 PM

Just not with 10,000 people watching you live....:wink:

markTHEblake
5th June 2012, 12:19 AM
Well I never had 10000 people watching me live, so its really all relative.
That event was a chook run for Tiger.

matty
5th June 2012, 06:13 AM
Seems like he is starting to get the swagger back and his confidence. If the ball striking off the tee holds up the US Open will be great to watch.

Sydney Hacker
5th June 2012, 06:21 AM
Didn't we say all of this when he won 2 weeks before the Masters as well?

matty
5th June 2012, 07:37 AM
From memory opinion was split. I was in the camp of 'he'll crash and burn'. To me, he's believing in his ability again, especially on the greens.

virge666
5th June 2012, 08:11 AM
Didn't we say all of this when he won 2 weeks before the Masters as well?

+1 let's see if he can keep the vibe going.

Absolutly. Nice shot and all - but Augusta had 15m of break too.

From memory opinion was split. I was in the camp of 'he'll crash and burn'. To me, he's believing in his ability again, especially on the greens.

Yeah - he did putt well... the ball seemed to have more speed when going in the hole.

But the US Open will push him a lot harder than that course... where he can hit 3 wood all day long.

Iain
5th June 2012, 10:31 AM
But the US Open will push him a lot harder than that course... where he can hit 3 wood all day long.
Pretty sure he can hit 3wood all day at Olympic. Only 3 par 4's over 450yds.

IanO
5th June 2012, 11:41 AM

They asked Tiger which shot was better and he said the one at Memorial as the lie was worse and the green harder.

wazandnic
5th June 2012, 12:25 PM
They asked Tiger which shot was better and he said the one at Memorial as the lie was worse and the green harder.

I agree this was a better shot. Much tougher lie. Augusta was on the first cut wasn't it (which is probably like most of the greens we play on!) Plus everyone knows the balls always feed down to the hole position there, look at how many tee shots go close to 16 on the final day.

virge666
5th June 2012, 12:50 PM
I agree this was a better shot. Much tougher lie. Augusta was on the first cut wasn't it (which is probably like most of the greens we play on!) Plus everyone knows the balls always feed down to the hole position there, look at how many tee shots go close to 16 on the final day.

Augusta had 10m of break and was in a major.

This was a bunker shot with no spin and rolled down to the hole.

Honestly - I reckon with about 20-30 golf balls any decent golfer could have pulled that one off... I would be there all day on the 16th cause your pace would have to be perfect to 2.5". Even with them filtering...

My 2 cents.

PS: What is it with him and the 16th hole ??? Did he have 16 mistresses ?

wazandnic
5th June 2012, 01:01 PM
ha ha, maybe more like 116 ;) we will never know.

Sorry I thought this shot was out of thick grass with the ball basically not visible? Didn't think it was out of a bunker?

Plus this one he is hitting towards the water. Augusta he was hitting into the meat of the green. And despite the break there I still maintain balls funnel to that hole position, again how many hole in ones have we seen there on the final day??

Both impressive regardless, but for mine this shot the harder of the two (if it wasn't out of a bunker that is???)

sms316
5th June 2012, 01:03 PM
They were both bloody impressive.

virge666
5th June 2012, 01:04 PM
ha ha, maybe more like 116 ;) we will never know.

Sorry I thought this shot was out of thick grass with the ball basically not visible? Didn't think it was out of a bunker?

Plus this one he is hitting towards the water. Augusta he was hitting into the meat of the green. And despite the break there I still maintain balls funnel to that hole position, again how many hole in ones have we seen there on the final day??

Both impressive regardless, but for mine this shot the harder of the two (if it wasn't out of a bunker that is???)

Not quite...

he was in the rough behind the green... hitting to a bunker.

The shot you play here is pretty much a bunker shot... hold it open and and swing hard to get it to go high. piece of piss technique to learn... frigging hard to trust and master.

he seems to be able to pull the hard chips off - but his basic bump and run or 30m chip is still really ordinary.

No idea why... maybe the easy one bore him.

dave1
5th June 2012, 02:25 PM
Nobody using a cheat stick deserves to win. Flat stick wasn't what cost him. Spraying his driver and irons did!

sms316
5th June 2012, 02:34 PM
Flat stick wasn't what cost him. Spraying his driver and irons did! His cheat stick kept him in the tournament longer than he deserved.

meh
5th June 2012, 03:37 PM
His cheat stick kept him in the tournament longer than he deserved.

Can someone make a broken record emoticon?

Veefore
5th June 2012, 09:37 PM
A mate was at Augusta year before last and met up with an Augusta native who goes all four days every year and sits in the same spots (a different one each day). He reckons that chip-in that Tiger made on the 16th is probably the most common chip-in on the course and has been made dozens of times over the years.

TheNuclearOne
5th June 2012, 09:44 PM
This one was ok too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hH-u0CxCAzs

Yossarian
5th June 2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQTuLQxlYAI

dave1
6th June 2012, 12:03 AM
His cheat stick kept him in the tournament longer than he deserved. I dont have a major beef with it but no one was going to deny tigers charge... Admie tigers game but I cant warm to his persona in interviews

LeftyHoges
12th June 2012, 12:16 AM
After my awesome flop shot on 13 @ Spring Valley today Tiger, Phil, Luke and the rest of the crew can eat my dust. Nothing hard about the shot he played at all....