PDA

View Full Version : FNQ touring suggestions wanted.

BrisVegas
2nd June 2012, 08:11 AM
FNQers, the tribe and I are heading to Lawn Hill NP in Sept. In the planning stages at the moment, but we've got our route and accom sorted on the way up and at the Lawn Hill NP. We're staying at Longreach and Mt Isa on the way, meeting up with the rest of the group in Mt Isa. Riversleigh and Lawn Hill are booked.

Is it worth going to Burketown? Burketown to Lawn Hill is a relatively short hop, which is why I am thinking it might be an option.

For those who've been there, what is Karumba like? There's a caravan park in Karumba near the beach to watch the sunset etc., which looks ok.

Can you drive directly from Burketown to Karumba, or is the only way a big loop south via Four Ways? 4WD is ok, carrying 2 spare tyres and in a convoy etc.

We'll likely head home via Normanton, Georgetown and stop in at family in Ingham, before doing the dash down to Rocky and then Vegas. I'm planning a day trip to Cairns, but will let you guys know for sure a little closer to the date.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Courty
2nd June 2012, 01:13 PM
I have been out west, but it was such a long time ago I can't remember anything useful to tell you.

markTHEblake
2nd June 2012, 01:34 PM
Would you like to see Dinosaur tracks? There is a massive section of them a few minutes outside of Winton at Lark Quarry, from memory it is one of the best preserved sites in the world.
I heard they have constructed a museum or something out there now, dont know how popular it is, when I visited, the guest book indicated only one person arrived every month or so.

I also suggest you stop and check out the odd golf course, the one in Winton is adjacent to the highway, so its no time out of your day. You might have to look twice to notice its a golf course though, sand greens, dirt fairways and rocks :-)

*NB. when I say a few minutes, thats relative to the overall distances you are travelling every day. From memory it is 1 hour or so outside of Winton.

BrisVegas
2nd June 2012, 06:42 PM
thanks Blakey, I had made a note to check out Lark Quarry. Riversleigh World Heritate site is on the cards too, plus the museum they have in Mt Isa.

I won't be taking the clubs. Not enough room.

Dazza
2nd June 2012, 07:15 PM
I'll fill you in tomorrow. Travel those roads all the time.
Too many beers at present.

Dazza
19th June 2012, 09:53 PM
I'm heading up that way Thursday. Will do a few runs from Normanton to Burketown while I'm there so I'll give you a road report once I return.
We normally follow the "Savannah Way" when heading that direction. Mostly dirt, normally not too bad.

Hux
20th June 2012, 04:50 PM
Lark Quarry is great.

If you are heading back to Ingham do the Undarra Lava Tubes on the way....good camp and very interesting. Part of the Great Basalt Wall. Porupine Gorge is also worth it.

Now to kill a day and open your eyes go from Mt Isa to Doomadgee aka Doom City.

Marto65
20th June 2012, 09:37 PM
Vegas ..

Winton is a great town ... better to stay there than Longreach.

When in Winton, go to the Tattersalls for the best meal in town. The guy that owns the pub also does the tours .. its either Paul Neilsen or Paul Elliott ... cant remember.

Are you camping or staying in motels?

Which way are you headed?

markTHEblake
20th June 2012, 10:27 PM
You sure about Tattersalls, wouldnt it be better to go to the private bar in the Australian?

Marto65
21st June 2012, 07:36 AM
Blakey .. last time I was there ... the Australian is the worst pub there.

Best atmosphere and food .. definately the Tatts.

markTHEblake
21st June 2012, 09:53 AM
Sounds like nothing has changed then. The private bar at the Aussie was worse than a ghetto. Even the local roughheads wouldn't go in there, they stayed in the public bar. <br>
<br> <br>
Bv, trust me/us you don't want to go to the Australian hotel despite the inviting exterior. It is seriously working class only. ! <br> <br>
I just had a look on google st view, I swear nothing has changed in near 30 years.

BrisVegas
21st June 2012, 10:10 AM
cheers for the suggestions guys. We're camping at free camps/pubs/van parks on the trip. Direction/plan is roughly:-

Muckadilla - camp at the pub. Check out the hot springs at Mitchell on the way through.
Longreach - staying a couple of nights with an old Army mate, they're showing us around. Qantas tour and Cobb & Co coach ride.
Winton - we planned to camp behind the North Gregory hotel. Lark Quarry will be a day trip.
Mt Isa - we're meeting up with the rest of our group who are staying at the discovery Van Park
Lawn Hill - Miyumba Bush camp first night to see the Riversleigh fossil stuff, then onto the National Park camp ground for 4 nights
Doomadgee & Burketown - not staying there, but planned to check them out, either as a day trip from Lawn Hill or on the way across to Normanton
Savannah Way - driving across to Normanton and Karumba. - prob camping at Karumba in the beach van park
Undara Lava tubes - had planned to camp there as it looked a cool place to visit. See how we go for funds, they have refurbed railway carriages you can stay in which would be a lot of fun.
Ingham - staying with family. Might extend the trip so we can get up to Cairns and see FNQ crew.
Rocky - staying with friends.

Moe Norman
21st June 2012, 11:36 AM
Make sure you go to the Stockman's Hall of Fame in Longreach, great stuff.

Marto65
21st June 2012, 12:08 PM
Hey Vegas ...

Did you know the Pub they used for Crocodile Dundee is at McKinlay ... about 3-4 hours north of Winton.

Anyway ...

Mitchell Hot Springs is awesome, there is another one at Blackall ... but it aint that good at all (it's just part of the public pool). Checkout the Blackall Woolscour. Also .. the black stump is behind the school.
Kids might want to check out the Tambo Teddies too ...
Nothing worth stopping for in Augathella. Not even lunch.
The Aust Workers hall of fame is in Barcaldine ... it might be of interest too.
I think there is a Flying Doctor museum at Cloncurry too ...

All the towns have something ... take your time ... you'll have a great trip.

Ferrins
21st June 2012, 01:01 PM

Check out my uncle there.

In his lifetime Chilla Seeney was an Australian and Queensland Champion in four sports - boxing, rodeo, campdrafting and cutting. His outstanding achievements were recognised with five Hall of Fame inductions - Australian Pro Rodeo, National Cutting Horse Association (Heritage HOF and Rider's HOF), Australian Quarter Horse Association, Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and the Australian Equine Hall of Fame.

mike
21st June 2012, 01:08 PM
BV I haven't been out that way. Only been as far out as Hughenden. The Porcupine Gorge is near there. I hear it's pretty cool. Also everyone I know that have been to the lava tubes raved about them.

September is the perfect time of the year for the trip you've planned. Weather will be warm and it never rains in September up here.

markTHEblake
21st June 2012, 01:26 PM
Is McKinlay the pub with the dirt floor?

BrisVegas
21st June 2012, 01:28 PM

Yeah, spent a full day at Stockman's a while back. My grandfather was a drover into his 90's and has his biography in the library out there. I'm gonna give it a miss this time though. I think the kids would enjoy the cobb & Co coach ride and the Qantas 747 tour. (I'm reliably informed it will reopen shortly)

Hey Vegas ...

Did you know the Pub they used for Crocodile Dundee is at McKinlay ... about 3-4 hours north of Winton.

Anyway ...

Mitchell Hot Springs is awesome, there is another one at Blackall ... but it aint that good at all (it's just part of the public pool). Checkout the Blackall Woolscour. Also .. the black stump is behind the school.
Kids might want to check out the Tambo Teddies too ...
Nothing worth stopping for in Augathella. Not even lunch.
The Aust Workers hall of fame is in Barcaldine ... it might be of interest too.
I think there is a Flying Doctor museum at Cloncurry too ...

All the towns have something ... take your time ... you'll have a great trip.

We enjoyed the Mitchell hot springs last time, hence we wanted to take the kids there. I didn't know the black stump was in Blackall, I'll add that to my list, along with the Tambo Teddies.

Barcaldine is a good spot. We saw the old Tree of Knowledge, so am keen to see the new one and show the kids.

We're thinking about going to Cloncurry to see the Flying doctor stuff, and we have a friend living there now. Not sure we'll have time. It's on the list.

BV I haven't been out that way. Only been as far out as Hughenden. The Porcupine Gorge is near there. I hear it's pretty cool. Also everyone I know that have been to the lava tubes raved about them.

September is the perfect time of the year for the trip you've planned. Weather will be warm and it never rains in September up here.

Ta mike. We're not going through Hughenden, sadly. We're heading from Mt Isa to Cammoweal and the NT border (only state I haven't made it too yet), then up into Lawn Hill/Riversleigh. From there we are taking the Savannah Way across to Normanton and then down to the coast via Undara. Hopefully it's dry weather. We're only taking a small canvas tent and a rear awning/tarp setup....

Moe Norman
21st June 2012, 01:57 PM
Check out my uncle there.

In his lifetime Chilla Seeney was an Australian and Queensland Champion in four sports - boxing, rodeo, campdrafting and cutting. His outstanding achievements were recognised with five Hall of Fame inductions - Australian Pro Rodeo, National Cutting Horse Association (Heritage HOF and Rider's HOF), Australian Quarter Horse Association, Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and the Australian Equine Hall of Fame.

Pfft!

My Great Grandfather founded Cobb&Co and his son is also in the Stockman Hall of Fame, was Sir Sidney Kidman's personal friend and Australia's pre-eminent livestock trader for quarter of a century and in the trade for 70 years!

He also authored the highly sought after, rare and famous book - Memoirs of a Stockman. I named my son after him :)

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/peck-john-murray-4385

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/peck-harry-huntington-8006

BrisVegas
21st June 2012, 02:04 PM
" In 1861 he lost most of his capital when an outbreak of scab ruined his speculation in sheep."

ouch!

Moe Norman
21st June 2012, 02:07 PM
heh, yep. That why the family got out of the coach business and into the stock trading.

Only downside is they also founded Essendon Football Club, a club I despise.

BrisVegas
21st June 2012, 02:13 PM
Only downside is they also founded Essendon Football Club, a club I despise.

ouch. I bet you gloss over that bit when going through the family history!

You actually prompted me to google "Alf", the old drover my grandmother married. Amazing fella. I read his book at the Hall of Fame and couldn't put it down. The stuff these old blokes did as kids is mind-boggling. Lived to 102 and got his letter from the Queen. Was still riding horses into his 90's and had a limited licence til the end. Was allowed to drive up to the TAB in Oakey. :-)

http://ehive.com/account/3492/object/77925/Alfred_Carl_DORRIES_b_23rd_May_1902_Charlton_Darli ng_Downs_QLD_d_14th_August_2004_Oakey_QLD

Moe Norman
21st June 2012, 02:24 PM
they don't make them like they used to.

My grandfather died last year, only made it to 88. He was Harry Huntington Peck's grandfather. He did well to get that far after being shot down twice during the War, and having quadruple bypass surgery twice in his 70's.

His ex wife, my Grandmother is 93 and only moved off the family property last year in Holbrook. She mustered the cattle on horseback until I was about 15, so until 78, then was on motorbike until last year. She had been running the 1800 acre property on her own since my step grandad died in 2002.

Sadly, while still alive - the move off the farm has done her no good at all, and her marbles were last seen 12 months ago.

Marto65
21st June 2012, 02:54 PM
Is McKinlay the pub with the dirt floor?

At one stage it may have ... not now though ..

BrisVegas
12th July 2012, 02:53 PM
This trip looks like being extended an extra week now. Want to get up to my childhood home of Cooktown. Also want to have a couple of days around Cairns and Ingham where we have family.

As we'll be going from Lawn Hill to Karumba along the Savannah Way, does it make sense to continue towards Mareeba via the Burke Developmental Road. October should be dry shouldnt it? Anyone done that road recently? What are the "must see" things if we go that way? Would 2 days be enough to get from Normanton to Mareeba? Camping somewhere along the way. Otherwise we'll go via the bitumen and Undarra Lava Tubes etc. Found this post about it:
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/80422/Just_completed_the_Burke_Development_road_BDR.aspx

Has anyone done the Bloomfield track recently? What sort of shape is it in? Camping suggestions around Cape Tribulation and/or Cooktown?

Dazza
12th July 2012, 05:58 PM
I was up the Burke road earlier this week in our truck. Only about 60klm along it, and it was rough in places.
Burketown to Normanton turnoff (Leichhardt River) is all bitumen, then you have roughly 130klm of dirt before you hit bitumen about 20klm out of Normanton. That section isn't bad, few savage dips which are all signposted well. They're in the process of grading it, and have got about 20klm done so far.

Dazza
12th July 2012, 06:05 PM
Your other option is head through Croydon/Georgetown/Mt Surprise and go up from there which is all bitumen (some single lane but not too bad). It was about 700klm from Normanton to Cairns via this route. The BP in Normanton is only open 8-12 on Saturday and 8-10 Sunday. You'll pay 10cpl more at Foodworks which is open 7am til 8pm 7 days. 24 hour fuel available in Burketown with a credit card.Diesel in Croydon was $1.55, about the.cheapest around up that way. We always fuel up there in the truck.Forgot to add. Plenty of wildlife about at present- Pigs, Snakes, Roos, Feral Cats n Dogs etc. I've never seen them as thick as they are now.

BrisVegas
12th July 2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks Dazza. Have you done the burke dev rd from normanton to mareeba too?

Dazza
12th July 2012, 07:32 PM
Nah BV. Only about 30-40klm of it from Normanton side.

BrisVegas
12th July 2012, 08:07 PM
Fair enough. We've only really locked in our plans as far as Karumba. At that point we can decide if we want to head to the coast via Georgetown and Undara and on to family at Ingham or via the Burke Dev Rd to Mareeba directly.

Rough trip plan so far is:-

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af323/BrisVegas/LawnHillTripoverview.jpg

kev
12th July 2012, 10:04 PM
"J" is feeling a bit left out.

BrisVegas
12th July 2012, 10:06 PM
J is hiding behind L.

kev
12th July 2012, 10:24 PM
:)

Courty
15th July 2012, 03:35 PM
Dion, the Bloomfield track is a day-to-day proposition based on weather. It is maintained by the Council and when we get decent rains they close it to all traffic until it's dry enough to repair.

BrisVegas
16th July 2012, 01:50 PM
Does that mean you are the bloke I blame if the track is falling apart?

Courty
16th July 2012, 02:20 PM
If it's falling apart, you won't be able to get on it. But even so, it's not my department. ;)

haysey
16th July 2012, 03:41 PM
Does that mean you are the bloke I blame if the track is falling apart?

Just do what we do, Dion. Blame him anyway.

The number of times I've tripped over a crack in the sidewalk around here. Unbelievable.

kev
16th July 2012, 05:03 PM
The clown shoes might be the problem there Haysey.

Courty
16th July 2012, 05:05 PM

Beat me to it, Kev!

haysey
16th July 2012, 05:11 PM

That. Or the long lunches. God knows there's nothing else to do in this town but drink and ogle the backpackers.

AndyP
24th July 2012, 07:54 PM
I saw a sign in the factory at work today for the Matilda Highway, which had attractions listed on it as well.

http://www.heritagetrails.qld.gov.au/attractions/

From your map, it doesn't look like you will be traveling on it for long, but I could have another look if you want.

BrisVegas
24th July 2012, 08:34 PM
ta Andy, we'll be on that road for quite a few days actually. I'll check out the site.

AndyP
25th July 2012, 10:19 AM

This is the Matilda Way sign.

BrisVegas
25th July 2012, 10:26 AM
Looks like we'll be following that sign for nearly 2 weeks! At least as far as Karumba, with detours to Cammoweal and Lawn Hill and Burketown along the way. We don't go through Charleville, but go Roma, Mitchell, Tambo, Blackall etc on the way to Longreach. It's interesting they don't mention Lawn Hill NP, yet Riversleigh gets on there. Riversleigh was included in Lawn Hill NP recently. We're bush cmaping one night at Riversleigh, before heading into Lawn Hill Gorge campground for a few nights.

Want me to put up some signs for you on my way ? Happy to help out, I'll chuck the post hole shovel in. Your work will cover my fuel and accom costs right?

AndyP
25th July 2012, 12:10 PM
There's no flashing lights on the sign, so I have nothing to do with it, sorry.

BrisVegas
29th August 2012, 08:33 PM
Cairns folks, any recommendation on what reef tour/snorkelling mob to go with? Doesn't need to be hard core, just want to take the kids out and show them some coral. Maybe find Nemo etc...

Courty
29th August 2012, 10:24 PM
For many years I've maintained that Ocean Spirit is the best reef experience. Michaelmas or Upolo Cay...

BrisVegas
30th August 2012, 06:35 AM
Ta courty.

BrisVegas
12th October 2012, 01:37 PM
crikey what a trip. Got home today. Lots of pics at photobucket (http://m1020.photobucket.com/albums/BrisVegas/Lawn%20Hill%20Trip%202012/?src=www?pbauth=1_InKH3DO4ADjdh1h3YMYz2SENowIKxi2v 1IQRAt%2BWTLCGUMJortr84jUM2uIux3B5JfkWfn6F%2FxeS6r fD0aWCVa6C0IdXN32eNj%2BNhMv1XWlShXSpRlsxtXL7BcLxT6 %2BZhr8v00vL4ziejjZICoM5iQ%3D%3D).

Clutch failed yesterday on the way home, just north of Rocky, 5,500km into the trip. RACQ Ultimate cover sorted everything out. Car is being towed 540kms to my preferred repairer and we came home overnight on the 'Spirit of the Outback' train. Cab fares either end included. So worth the upgrade to the top cover.

Hux
12th October 2012, 03:06 PM
Welcome back. Lucky it died at the end not start!!

BrisVegas
12th October 2012, 03:12 PM
ta Craig. Lucky alright. RACQ have been awesome, but doing the trip in a hire car just wouldn't have been the same.

Up til the clutch hiccup, the truck was flawless. Coped with a heavy load of gear, 40+ deg temps and shitty roads, dirt and gibber. Just about ran up the bum of a 1Hzzzz troopie on a blind and steep climb at the Bloomfield track. The Paj did really well, despite the piddly little 2.8 TD. The Engel & aux battery setup worked a treat too.

I see you picked up a flash new Modcon camper while I was away. 4,000km in 4 days.... Must have been a good price?!? I've been eyeing off Cub and other hard floors on our trip. We travelled with a couple of families with soft floor setups and I don't reckon they're much better than a canvas tent. A hard floor or van is in my future I think.....

Courty
12th October 2012, 05:08 PM
Check out these ones (http://robustcampers.com.au/), Dion.

Glad to see you made it home safe.

Moe Norman
12th October 2012, 05:12 PM
just a lazy $50k Courty!

may as well get a Kimberley

Hux
12th October 2012, 05:50 PM
ta Craig. Lucky alright. RACQ have been awesome, but doing the trip in a hire car just wouldn't have been the same.

Up til the clutch hiccup, the truck was flawless. Coped with a heavy load of gear, 40+ deg temps and shitty roads, dirt and gibber. Just about ran up the bum of a 1Hzzzz troopie on a blind and steep climb at the Bloomfield track. The Paj did really well, despite the piddly little 2.8 TD. The Engel & aux battery setup worked a treat too.

I see you picked up a flash new Modcon camper while I was away. 4,000km in 4 days.... Must have been a good price?!? I've been eyeing off Cub and other hard floors on our trip. We travelled with a couple of families with soft floor setups and I don't reckon they're much better than a canvas tent. A hard floor or van is in my future I think.....

So is the family itching to do it again as well? That is the litmus test. I agree on your sentiment between soft floor vs tent. Advantage is space for storage with a soft floor vs carrying everything on the roof. Depending how extreme a trip you intend to do is the factor on what you get. If you are heading up the Cape or over the Simpson then you aren't doing it with a Jayco and need a true offroader trailer. Hardfloor generally are a bit limited for sleeping kids unless you start zipping on rooms ie adding tents to the outside. That is where the extended SF campers work. The Camprite is a great option. I have a mate who did 4 years on the road with his Camprite and 3 kids and wife. (well kids were kept being added on the road they started with 2)

www.modcon.com.au mine is the Imperial HF. At $31k new they represent pretty fair value for money (can you say that about a canvas topped trailer?) against the competition. Locally made (Capalaba), well finished and have enough of the bits you want to make it appealing. Their top of the range is $52k but other than a hot water/heater and solar panels and different kitchen I don't see it as being much better than mine.

And yes is was a very good buy - 12 months old and saved @ $8k on his purchase price (it has quite a few options)

Check out these ones (http://robustcampers.com.au/), Dion.

Glad to see you made it home safe.

just a lazy $50k Courty!

may as well get a Kimberley

The Robusts are quite good. Much lighter on the draw bar than a KK. Ultimate is another good option Aust Off Road Campers, Travelander, Conqueror etc etc). Once you start paying $50+ for a camper the choices become harder as their are well established names offering such similar products with a slightly different theme. Personally at $50+ I am all over a Conqueror UEV490 way before I am in a KK, AORC or Ulti. Bit utilitarian in appearance but all the features of a top end KK plus it almost a mini van.

BrisVegas
12th October 2012, 06:31 PM
cheers courty. $50k is well into Conqueror territory though. I'd be looking at a used hard floor camper I reckon.

Courty
12th October 2012, 11:25 PM
A guy camped next to us on the long weekend had a Robust. It was quite a rig, had everything that opens & shuts. Most importantly, he had a fancy aerial setup & a TV so we got to watch the GF. :mrgreen: