PDA

View Full Version : Does the general Ozgolf user base like the new Infraction System?

Hux
28th May 2012, 09:16 PM
Is the new Infraction system actually well received by the broader reader base on Ozgolf?

With some recent activity it may be timely for the mods and forum "owner" to find out whether the user base likes it or hates it.

Basically if you live with your head in the sand you could end up owning a big piece of SFA.

I would hate to see Ozgolf fall apart due to what some may consider to be heavy handedness albeit if well intentioned.

3oneday
28th May 2012, 09:19 PM
No issues for mine, I don't even like seeing threads called what pi...es me off. It's not about me, I have young impressionable kids.

Ferrins
28th May 2012, 09:20 PM
I agree with whatever comments just makes pertaining to this matter.

markTHEblake
28th May 2012, 09:25 PM
Should be taking issue with the forum rules not the method of ensuring compliance.

Johnny Canuck
28th May 2012, 09:26 PM
Haha. Mute lasted long.

3oneday
28th May 2012, 09:26 PM
I would also think that someone in their mid to late 60's should know what is acceptable.

Webster
28th May 2012, 09:27 PM
I like the new rules cos they have cleaned this joint up a lot.

Moe Norman
28th May 2012, 09:28 PM
Infraction system seems fine to me.

The rules the system is designed to enforce seem to be a bit precious, but nobody has a gun to our head to visit ozgolf.

What is considered offensive or not is far too subjective and inconsistent.

BroKar
28th May 2012, 09:29 PM
Agree with Hux, Ferrins and Jack and Moe and iamviva

IamViva
28th May 2012, 09:33 PM
i agree with moe, one thing ive noticed is the increased amount of baiting/trolling trying to earn others infraction points. im sure reported posts have increased since the introduction of the points system.

Ferrins
28th May 2012, 09:35 PM
:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On73aHpgdSQ

mike
28th May 2012, 09:43 PM
Agree with Hux, Ferrins and Jack and Moe and iamvivaI agree with Jack and Ferrins but only partially agree with BroKar and 3oneday and Moe makes a good point.

Rules are rules. I've broken them and copped a warning. No big deal. Lesson learned.

mike
28th May 2012, 09:44 PM
im sure reported posts have increased since the introduction of the points system.I've used the dob button once. I reported Courty a while back just to see what happened. He wasn't banned.

markTHEblake
28th May 2012, 09:49 PM
I reported Courty a while back just to see what happened. He wasn't banned.

An out of line crease in a golf shirt is most definitely a breach of the ZIT rule - if its Courty. Disgraceful really.
Now if its Solarman it would be the opposite, I actualy heard he can put on a brand new pair of pants and an hour later it looks like he has been wearing them for a week installing solar panels.

Sydney Hacker
28th May 2012, 09:50 PM
I agree with them, I also agree with most of the sentiments above no one forces you to visit so if you think the place has "jumped the shark" stop coming, its that simple.

Ferrins
28th May 2012, 09:54 PM
I got a warning for a busty babe smooching a ferret and that's fair enough. Got no real problem with the infraction system, my beef is with getting parking tickets at festivals or markets.

Yossarian
28th May 2012, 09:54 PM
I like mudkipz.

TheTrueReview
28th May 2012, 10:03 PM
The new system hasn't affected me.

LarryLong
28th May 2012, 10:25 PM
I feel really uncomfortable answering a question with a question, so I didn't vote.

TheNuclearOne
28th May 2012, 10:41 PM
Haven't even noticed it.

sms316
29th May 2012, 12:22 AM
Either the rules have been relaxed or I've been a good boy since the infraction system came in. I think Yoss' idea for a non regulated sub forum has merit. An opt on place for OZgolf devos doesn't offend anyone who doesn't opt in, and they get it out of their system.

Hux
29th May 2012, 06:32 AM
I agree with them, I also agree with most of the sentiments above no one forces you to visit so if you think the place has "jumped the shark" stop coming, its that simple.

I didn't express any real opinion on this - I just would not like to see Ozgolf shrivel on the vine because the majority don't agree with a change in admin policy.
These forums are a function of the users not moderators or owners - lack of consideration for the general user's views can lead to wholesale dissatisfaction.

My view is that in some cases it appears to me as if people are getting a clearway tow for stopping 5 seconds at a red light. Basically the suspensions in most cases is IMHO self destructive and may force some long term great contributors away from Ozgolf - I do like the reduced thread jacking and reduced noise in threads from a certain element. I don't go looking for titty pictures so have never seen them - pre or post the new system.

PeteyD
29th May 2012, 06:51 AM
Not sure who has had a holiday Hux. There has been one self imposed exile that I am aware of. The system seems to be working fine.

sms316
29th May 2012, 06:55 AM
Not sure who has had a holiday Hux. There has been one self imposed exile that I am aware of. The system seems to be working fine. The forum won't be finer for the suspension given to niner.

mike
29th May 2012, 06:56 AM
sad day

sms316
29th May 2012, 06:58 AM
Black armbands for avatars?

PeteyD
29th May 2012, 06:58 AM
Oh my. Over the Katy Perry pictures. Not like he can claim he didn't know.

Peter
29th May 2012, 07:04 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what has changed, apart from the boob ban?

PeteyD
29th May 2012, 07:07 AM
Nothing really, except there has been a method employed for applying the rules, and some guidelines set so they are applied evenly.

Peter
29th May 2012, 07:11 AM
Still seems pretty subjective to me.

PeteyD
29th May 2012, 07:13 AM
Why? Never has to me, just seemed that some people liked to moan about it.

TheTrueReview
29th May 2012, 07:15 AM
... I think Yoss' idea for a non regulated sub forum has merit. ...

Like a version of Lord of the Flies place where anything goes?

Sydney Hacker
29th May 2012, 07:41 AM
I didn't express any real opinion on this - I just would not like to see Ozgolf shrivel on the vine because the majority don't agree with a change in admin policy.These forums are a function of the users not moderators or owners - lack of consideration for the general user's views can lead to wholesale dissatisfaction.My view is that in some cases it appears to me as if people are getting a clearway tow for stopping 5 seconds at a red light. Basically the suspensions in most cases is IMHO self destructive and may force some long term great contributors away from Ozgolf - I do like the reduced thread jacking and reduced noise in threads from a certain element. I don't go looking for titty pictures so have never seen them - pre or post the new system.I may be totally wrong in my thinking, but I would assume there is an element of "we have tighten the chain to get some control back". If that is the case it is sad that people haven't heeded the warnings and it has resulted in having to introduce an infraction system and suspend people who have decided to blatently go outside the rules.

PeteyD
29th May 2012, 07:43 AM
Eggzaccary.

Marto65
29th May 2012, 08:24 AM
I agree with Eags.

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2012, 09:30 AM
I am actually surprised that this thread has lasted this long.

I am guessing that as soon as it takes a mild turn, it will be locked by Jarro the Keymaster, or deleted.

Webster
29th May 2012, 09:31 AM
There needs to be less sooking and more Ozgolfing.

TheTrueReview
29th May 2012, 09:35 AM
There needs to be less sooking and more Ozgolfing.

You've just hurt my feelings Jack. I need a hug.

shazza_rs
29th May 2012, 09:40 AM
No problems from me. Those pushing the boundaries are doing so to see what they can get away with. The rules and infraction system have been pointed out to all. It's up to you to follow the rules.

Just like sport, there are rules to follow. If you don't then there are consequences. Pretty simple really.

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2012, 09:44 AM
Except that it feels more like kindy than sport in a lot of cases, not that it bothers me as I have been a model for good behaviour forever.

That is just the general vibe.

shazza_rs
29th May 2012, 09:46 AM
I agree with you there JC. To be honest some of the carrying on that is done by members on here should be left in the schoolyard.

goughy
29th May 2012, 10:00 AM
I am actually surprised that this thread has lasted this long.

I am guessing that as soon as it takes a mild turn, it will be locked by Jarro the Keymaster, or deleted.

We don't mind a bit of discussion. As long as it stays that way. A slanging match won't be accepted.

sms316
29th May 2012, 10:03 AM
Does anyone actually think the forum is better without golfer69? I sure as hell don't. He has probably contributed more to this forum with his sense of humour and industry knowledge than anyone else.

dc68
29th May 2012, 10:06 AM
But he'll be back. He's in the sin bin not the sin ban.

Daves
29th May 2012, 10:16 AM
It bemuses me that one of the Mods has a signature that is as bad or worse than anything that has so far received infraction points. I am also waiting for a trolling infraction, 1) because the trolls are trying real hard & 2) a couple of the mods are the leading trolls here. The handling of the first infraction was poorly done imo. Other than that, I have no real ongoing issues. The system has yet to be really tested, and ironically I think it probably actually increases the load on the Mods, rather than relieves it.

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 10:18 AM
Oh my. Over the Katy Perry pictures. Not like he can claim he didn't know.

Just to be clear. Its not ok to post pictures of attractive women fully clothed.

However, its totally fine to be racist, homophobic and generally offensive.

Hope that clears up the rules for you.

Yossarian
29th May 2012, 10:20 AM
Just to be clear. Its not ok to post pictures of attractive women fully clothed.

Hope that clears up the rules for you.

This is what is confusing me.

WBennett
29th May 2012, 10:22 AM

Sweet. Islamic rules apply!

Webster
29th May 2012, 10:23 AM
Bwahahaha

Steve57
29th May 2012, 10:26 AM

Sharia law?

PeteyD
29th May 2012, 10:26 AM
Oh dear.

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 10:30 AM

not sure, lets test the water..

http://amazingdata.com/mediadata33/Image/hot_weird_funny_amazing_cool6_burqa-burka-afganistan-women-10_200907271659315548.jpg

http://woodturtle.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/sexy_burqa.jpg?w=510

sms316
29th May 2012, 10:32 AM
This is going to turn into OZgolf Survivor.

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2012, 10:35 AM
This is going to turn into OZgolf Survivor.Heavy money being bet on donut for the win.

AndyP
29th May 2012, 10:40 AM
However, its totally fine to be racist, homophobic and generally offensive.No it's not.

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 10:42 AM
Your moderation efforts suggest otherwise.

AndyP
29th May 2012, 10:43 AM
Your moderation efforts suggest otherwise.Please send a mod a PM with the relevant links.

sms316
29th May 2012, 10:45 AM
Heavy money being bet on donut for the win. He's been flushed out before. No word on whether he likes jubblies.

goughy
29th May 2012, 10:48 AM
Where are your reports of the behaviour in question? That's the question I have to ask. You say it's there, but I don't see it cause I don't read every single thread or every single post. I'm here for my enjoyment too, and I only read the stuff that's of interest to me. Contrary to what must be popular belief, the report button isn't going off like a siren. We actually don't get many reports at all. And my case is the same with the other admin/mods. Daves, if you have a problem then let us know.

Otherwise we will only be moderating on the stuff we read. We won't be scouring the threads looking for stuff to remove.

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 10:49 AM
Please send a mod a PM with the relevant links.

I only report posts that offend me, I've never seen a single thing on this forum that has offended me.

However, if I were gay, aboriginal, islamic, had a mental illness or impairment and I was easily offended - this is not a place I'd want to visit.

sms316
29th May 2012, 10:51 AM
Getting offended on the behalf of others is odd.

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 10:56 AM
Exactly. I'm not in the business of reporting a post because someone else may be offended by it.

goughy
29th May 2012, 11:09 AM
That's fine guys. You don't have to report anything if you don't want to. But if you don't report the behaviour then you can't complain that we allow it. We've explained enough times how things work.

Webster
29th May 2012, 11:17 AM
Goughy, perhaps in addition to mods we need designated dobbers . If so, I nominate TTR.

goughy
29th May 2012, 11:27 AM
I have received this email from the g-man today and he asked if I can post it in the forum. So here it is, unedited. I'll add some short comments at the end to answer some questions, though those questions have probably been answered in my last few posts in this thread.

Dear Dean,

After yesterdays events on the forum I wanted to drop you a line.

Firstly, the two week banning is fine. The simple matter is I crossed the line, knew I crossed the line and should pay the penalty. I was having a shit of a day business-wise yesterday and turned to my favourite place of fun to relieve some of the stress. I knew I was pushing the boundaries with the exceptional, yet tastefully done animated Katie Perry gifs and pretty much knew I would be having a holiday. Hopefully it’s a blessing in disguise as I have lots of work to do at the moment and one less distraction might help my cause.

I would also like to say that the mods do a teriffic job in keeping this rabble in control in an unpaid capacity on a non-commercial website. A new set of rules have been set up and they are enforcing the rules to the letter. At times it seems though we’re being pinged for jaywalking but there has to be a line somewhere. I sure as hell would not want the job as mod keeping these personalities in check. I still think there are some double standards being shown and hopefully this can be addressed at some point.

What I do have a problem with is the level on content that is now “allowed”. The matter that effectively got me banned yesterday is sitting on the covers of magazines at newsagents and supermarket shelves in easy view of kids. Actesses and Celebs with their cans on display is the norm in this modern world and its accepted. The argument from the Ozgolf Admin seems to be that we need to be careful if a minor visits our site and see’s this supposed outrageous content. Seriously mate, its all getting a bit too sterile.

I must admit the content of the forum has been tidied up lately with regard to off topic stuff and reads a lot better. There is still a lot of crap being writtern in there but that’s part of the charm of the place. The reason I head to Ozgolf on a daily basis is its good fun and not just golf talk. If we start to lose that then it won’t be as entertaining to me and I’ll be there far less. A few comments overnight have mentioned that a gun is not being held to my head to attend Ozgolf and I am free to go at any stage. I guess this is a key decision for you as to what, and who the site was set up for in the first place. I’m guessing it sure as hell wasn’t set up as an out and out boobie show but surely in small doses it makes up part of the great ozgolf entertainment.

My suggestion, if doable, is to work on a similar set up to thegolfforum and create a “pub” section where the rules are a little more relaxed (not open slather) and people must apply for registration into this area knowing there might be the off blue joke or occasional nipple. This will protect the underage punter roaming by.

The site is still great and I spend a good part of my day on it (apart from the next two weeks) but at times I think its getting too sterile and we’re pandering to the minorities. It would be an interesting test to create this “sealed section” and keep an eye on the volume of punters going through it. I would like to take the odds that a high volume of our membership will be there often.

Anyway, just wanted to get a few of these concerns out there and see you in two weeks….maybe.

Kind regards
Golfer69

With regards to double standards, we certainly don't try to. And if it seems someone is being targeted when others aren't, then it's most likely because we didn't see the others posts.

The rules themselves, in essence, are not new. The infraction system is.

I know g-man doesn't like a sterile environment, but the way it is is how it was always spose to be when Leon and I set it up, and how it was when it first started. Over the years I had done a very poor job of keeping on track of things; now days it's better. But I have no issues with G, or anyone else that has this opinion.

With regards to a 'pub' or 'sealed section', Andy and I have discussed this at length several times, and it won't happen. Neither of us are interested in having it. When I first saw tgf start it, not for one second did I think it seemed like something for ozg. I'm hoping that puts the lid on this idea.

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 11:29 AM
That's fine guys. You don't have to report anything if you don't want to. But if you don't report the behaviour then you can't complain that we allow it. We've explained enough times how things work.

I have no complaint that you allow it, I'm merely bemused by what is allowed and what isn't.

I just go about my day knowing that the only people I have to worry about offending are prudes. I can say what I like about fat people, black people, asians, christians, muslims, people with down syndrome and people with mental illness safe in the knowledge that I won't be moderated.

In fact, I'm sure some christians find me quite offensive, but luckily for me some people on the moderation team share my views on religion in general, so its ok for us to offend that particular group of people....

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 11:43 AM
oops, forgot gay people. Or ghey as we like to refer to it around here...

goughy
29th May 2012, 11:45 AM
I have no complaint that you allow it,

Poor wording by me there with the 'allow'. But I'm sure you understood the gist of what I meant. It is not allowed, it is missed by us. Again, if we don't see it, or know about it, how can we moderate it. So please report it. But if you don't report it, we can't moderate it. So it stays in the forum and you think that we are biased one way or another to the type of content, and then you think it is allowed. But it's not. So please report it. But you don't want to report it so it stays in the forum and you think we're biased and so on and so on and so on.

Every time this kind of discussion comes up, and it will from time to time you will say the same thing, and so will I. If you don't wanna report that is fine. Not many members are. In fact, Andy and I were discussing how surprised we have been with the low number of reports. But you don't get to call us biased if you don't point that content out to us.

Webster
29th May 2012, 11:51 AM
Goughy, did anyone report any of 69ers posts from yesterday?

BroKar
29th May 2012, 11:52 AM
With regards to a 'pub' or 'sealed section', Andy and I have discussed this at length several times, and it won't happen. Neither of us are interested in having it. When I first saw tgf start it, not for one second did I think it seemed like something for ozg. I'm hoping that puts the lid on this idea.

I have ran quite a few community websites over the years that have been succesful, the above comment is the part that i honestly struggle with, if the site is purely here for the 2 of you then all good, let us all know exactly what you want, i was under the impression it was a community driven website.

Peter
29th May 2012, 11:53 AM
I agree with Moe here, and find it a little difficult to believe that not a single mod has seen some of the stuff he is referring to as being 'allowed'.

If the rules are designed to make the moderation process objective, then it shouldn't require a person to be offended enough to hit the report button.

Shadesy
29th May 2012, 11:55 AM
Is there infraction points for being a bunch of babies?

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 11:58 AM
Especially given some of the content may have been posted my a moderator in some circumstances, or without doubt have replied to it or been a regular contributor in the same thread. In that case, I'm pretty sure its been seen, and ignored. Which is fine, because they don't find it offensive and nor do I.

if the site is purely here for the 2 of you then all good, let us all know exactly what you want, i was under the impression it was a community driven website.

Amen.

TheTrueReview
29th May 2012, 12:08 PM
Is there infraction points for being a bunch of babies?

I don't know but as an "issue" I think it's nothing more than a ...

http://theonlinecitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/6a00d83452719d69e201348976e307970c-800wi-256x300.jpg

Hux
29th May 2012, 12:37 PM
This thread had , I hoped, been to gauge whether the new system worked. I could have posted in the bemused befuddled thread because ultimately I am exactly that over dickies sin binning.
If you are old enough to turn on a tv you can see as much soft porn as you want on MTV or rage so wtf.

However my greatest concern probably stems back to the comment that all the consultation was undertaken with the moderators-my view has always been that change is most effectively managed. With consultation of the end users.
Finally if this is not a "community" not for profit site operated to benefit the end users please come out and say it. However I know it is and maybe a few people need to remember to take off the jackboots swap them gel kayanos and do the softshoe.

Hope this is taken in the right vein!

just
29th May 2012, 12:43 PM
I can say what I like about fat people, black people, asians, christians, muslims, people with down syndrome and people with mental illness safe in the knowledge that I won't be moderated.

In fact, I'm sure some christians find me quite offensive, but luckily for me some people on the moderation team share my views on religion in general, so its ok for us to offend that particular group of people....
I've reported that type of content and it's been deleted when I have. If you see it and you don't want to report it send me a PM and I'll happily do it.

As an overall point, I support goughy and Andy in not having a free for all section. If you want that content find another site that provides it. Why do you think this site has to cater to your every whim? If you want porn find a porn site, if you want to be a racist find a site that caters to you, don't expect that every site/forum to cater to your expectations.

Yossarian
29th May 2012, 12:47 PM
Can we rename the poll cause I voted against the poll system. The infraction system would be different.

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 12:47 PM
A private adults only section for anarchy will lead to much more disharmony and will have an affect on those who do not even participate. Have seen this too many times before.

timah!
29th May 2012, 12:49 PM
Yes I like it.
Yes it works.
No I won't say anymore in my 'angry-pilled' state.

sms316
29th May 2012, 12:51 PM
I've reported that type of content and it's been deleted when I have. If you see it and you don't want to report it send me a PM and I'll happily do it. As an overall point, I support goughy and Andy in not having a free for all section. If you want that content find another site that provides it. Why do you think this site has to cater to your every whim? If you want porn find a porn site, if you want to be a racist find a site that caters to you, don't expect that every site/forum to cater to your expectations. You would because you believe your standards to be the standards we should all adhere to. If a group of OZgolfers played a round of golf do you think the conversation wouldn't get blue? Of course it would. Usually after every 2nd shot. Why should we have to act differently in here?

sms316
29th May 2012, 12:52 PM
Yes I like it. Yes it works. No I won't say anymore in my 'angry-pilled' state. You would. Timah for mod.

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 12:54 PM
In fact, I'm sure some christians find me quite offensive, but luckily for me some people on the moderation team share my views on religion in so its ok for us to offend that particular group of people....I know you jest there but it is true, It is expected that in Australia the Christians are fair game to be insulted/offended/discriminated but you are in deep trouble if you have a crack at any other demographic, belief system or view. Can't even kill a mouse with a frying pan these days.

Talart
29th May 2012, 12:54 PM
As an overall point, I support goughy and Andy in not having a free for all section. If you want that content find another site that provides it. Why do you think this site has to cater to your every whim? If you want porn find a porn site, if you want to be a racist find a site that caters to you, don't expect that every site/forum to cater to your expectations.

I support this sentiment as well. The 'free for all' section is just like kids having sword fights with pointy sticks. It is all fine until someone loses an eye. While it is all fine among friends and acquaintances it is a disaster waiting to happen on something as public as the internet. Most here are good enough at self regulation and that is a testament to the mods and the posters themselves. Take that away the respect you all hold for each other (not in a ghey whey) and you would soon see problems spill over outside of the "Free For All" area into the general area.

Yossarian
29th May 2012, 12:55 PM
I support this sentiment as well. The 'free for all' section is just like kids having sword fights with pointy sticks. It is all fine until someone loses an eye. While it is all fine among friends and acquaintances it is a disaster waiting to happen on something as public as the internet. Most here are good enough at self regulation and that is a testament to the mods and the posters. Take that away the respect you all hold for each other (not in a ghey whey) and you would soon see problems spill over outside of the "Free For All" area into the general area.

Hmm.

just
29th May 2012, 01:04 PM
You would because you believe your standards to be the standards we should all adhere to. If a group of OZgolfers played a round of golf do you think the conversation wouldn't get blue? Of course it would. Usually after every 2nd shot. Why should we have to act differently in here?
I'm not surprised you can't see the difference. A private conversation between 4 Ozgolfers playing a round is completely different to posting in a public forum. Surprisingly enough most don't cross the line in private conversation during an Ozgolf round. I'm not sure why you feel the need to constantly foist your sexual predilections or racist attitudes on everyone else, as you so often have and egg others to do also, but most of us aren't interested.

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 01:07 PM
Good point just.

Isn't it ironic, if someone thanks Jesus Christ they get shot down in flames but it's ok to deify Porn actors and the like!

Webster
29th May 2012, 01:09 PM
Isn't it ironic, if someone thanks Jesus Christ they get shot down in flames but it's ok to deify Porn actors and the like!

Why is that ironic?

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 01:13 PM
I've reported that type of content and it's been deleted when I have. If you see it and you don't want to report it send me a PM and I'll happily do it.

why? Its not that I don't want to report it. I just couldn't care less. The only reason its now an issue, is because it underlines the glaring inconsistency that is occurring.

As an overall point, I support goughy and Andy in not having a free for all section. If you want that content find another site that provides it.

who wanted a free for all section?

Why do you think this site has to cater to your every whim?

When have I indicated that I think it should? I've never seen a single offensive thing on here. Except maybe that chick that was fudging her golf link and lying about it, the dishonesty was a touch offensive, so were the threats from her other half.

If you want porn find a porn site,

has anyone ever indicated a desire to post pornography on this site? I'm not aware of anyone that has.

if you want to be a racist find a site that caters to you, don't expect that every site/forum to cater to your expectations.

I don't want to be racist, nor am I. I also don't expect any site to cater to me. I would expect a site that is supported by its end user community both financially and via content, and built by that community to cater to the broader members that make up that community. I guess if it doesn't the community will just gradually dwindle.

I would also expect that if it comes to a situation where rules are required and enforced, that they are done so consistently and without bias. In fact I don't expect it, I just thought that would be the case. If its not, so be it - but lets not pretend otherwise.

just
29th May 2012, 01:20 PM
Moe
If it wasn't clear the sentences after "As an overall point" weren't aimed at you specifically. Your replies are interesting though and pretty unsurprising.

sms316
29th May 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm not surprised you can't see the difference. A private conversation between 4 Ozgolfers playing a round is completely different to posting in a public forum. Surprisingly enough most don't cross the line in private conversation during an Ozgolf round. I'm not sure why you feel the need to constantly foist your sexual predilections or racist attitudes on everyone else, as you so often have and egg others to do also, but most of us aren't interested.You do have the option to not read my posts if you find them so offensive, but that wouldn't help whatever agenda you are pushing.

just
29th May 2012, 01:28 PM
You do have the option to not read my posts if you find them so offensive, but that wouldn't help whatever agenda you ate pushing.
You have an option not to come to the forum or post, but that wouldn't help whatever agenda you are pushing either, since you have plenty of other forums that do accomodate you.

WBennett
29th May 2012, 01:30 PM
You do have the option to not read my posts if you find them so offensive, but that wouldn't help whatever agenda you are pushing.

I have you on ignore.

sms316
29th May 2012, 01:32 PM
You have an option not to come to the forum or post, but that wouldn't help whatever agenda you are pushing either, since you have plenty of other forums that do accomodate you. Of course I do. That's why I tend to post in the areas I do and stay away from others.

timah!
29th May 2012, 01:34 PM
You would. Timah for mod.

You wouldn't want me as a mod :)

sms316
29th May 2012, 01:35 PM
You wouldn't want me as a mod :) I reckon you would slot in as the 3rd best mod.

mike
29th May 2012, 01:53 PM
I just go about my day knowing that the only people I have to worry about offending are prudes. I can say what I like about fat people, black people, asians, christians, muslims, people with down syndrome and people with mental illness safe in the knowledge that I won't be moderated.
What about short people?

mike
29th May 2012, 01:55 PM
I agree with G69, the mods are doing a great job. It's a thankless job and the pay is crap, so I'm told.

Having said that, I saw the Katy Perry gifs and cannot for the life of me think what is remotely offensive about them.

TheTrueReview
29th May 2012, 01:56 PM
I can say what I like about fat people, black people, asians, christians, muslims, people with down syndrome ....

Why would you want to do that Moe?

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2012, 01:58 PM
Is there infraction points for being a bunch of babies? *Are

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2012, 02:01 PM
Why would you want to do that Moe? Freedom of speech.

mike
29th May 2012, 02:02 PM
Why would you want to do that Moe?He doesn't. Nor do you see his point.

TheTrueReview
29th May 2012, 02:25 PM
Freedom of speech.

There's no such thing as absolute freedom of speech. Doesn't exist anywhere in the world.

He doesn't. Nor do you see his point.

In a rambling thread, usually truth is the first victim.

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 02:35 PM
Moe
Your replies are interesting though and pretty unsurprising.

Your lack of reply, and failure to address the point is also unsurprising.

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 02:43 PM
Why would you want to do that Moe?

I don't. But its a daily occurrence on this forum to post content that may offend certain types of people, and it goes unmoderated.

The frequent acceptable use of the word 'gay' or 'ghey' as a derogatory term is highly offensive to some people (not me) yet is celebrated, rather than moderated. Same goes for 'no homo'.

Now, lets make this clear. I have absolutely no problem with people using those terms, but once you start being politically correct and deciding to remove content you deem offensive - you should be consistent.

timah!
29th May 2012, 03:06 PM
There's no such thing as absolute freedom of speech. Doesn't exist anywhere in the world.

Be still my beating heart...

Dotty
29th May 2012, 03:16 PM
I'd love to compare this thread, the belly putter thread, some old work email chains, such as 'Zero alcohol tolerance' and 'Dress Code for Business Casual' and letters to the editor, when RBT came was introduced.

I reckon it will be the same arguments, just some different nouns.

I'm just waiting for the phrase 'It's Unaustralian'.

TheTrueReview
29th May 2012, 03:20 PM
I'm just waiting for the phrase 'It's Unaustralian'.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu-kR26PJQSzjyWYx8EL_RLadrZN1s9lLfyCxWAnG2vv5hAyZvGZU rNB9H

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2012, 03:30 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRu-kR26PJQSzjyWYx8EL_RLadrZN1s9lLfyCxWAnG2vv5hAyZvGZU rNB9H Have you just figured out how to post images?

Eag's
29th May 2012, 03:30 PM
So to sum up....no posts about gays, racism, booby gifs, fat people, short people, mental illness, muslims, christians will be tolerated?
This place is about to become very, very quiet ;)

WBennett
29th May 2012, 03:32 PM
So to sum up....no posts about gays, racism, booby gifs, fat people, short people, mental illness, muslims, christians will be tolerated?

I love all those things. I hate golf though

sms316
29th May 2012, 03:33 PM
So to sum up....no posts about gays, racism, booby gifs, fat people, short people, mental illness, muslims, christians will be tolerated?This place is about to become very, very quiet ;) So posting about bald people is okay?

Eag's
29th May 2012, 03:36 PM
Knock yourself out, us follicly challenged people are made tough :)

Moe Norman
29th May 2012, 03:37 PM
no, only the boobie gifs are not allowed, I thought that had been made perfectly clear already?

Webster
29th May 2012, 03:41 PM
What about ranga's? Surely they're not getting off lightly?

Dotty
29th May 2012, 03:41 PM
Knock yourself out, us follicly challenged people are made tough :)
That's why I'm staying away from you, in case we get confused with a boobie.gif.

TheTrueReview
29th May 2012, 03:49 PM
Have you just figured out how to post images?

http://www.raffaelegalasso.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/no11-200x134.jpg

BroKar
29th May 2012, 03:55 PM
whats about nazi's?

KristianJ
29th May 2012, 03:58 PM
whats about nazi's? Permissible on Facebook, I gather...

Outcast
29th May 2012, 04:39 PM
How or why does it matter if the end user agrees with the rules or not?
For Example: Road rules; I do not necessarily agree with all of them but, am required as an end user to abide by them or suffer the consequences of not doing so. There are plenty of other examples that could be used, how are the rules on this 'public' forum any different.You do not have to abide by them but, if you choose not to then there are consequences. If you think something is offensive, whether to you or others, then report it. I have seen plenty of friendly slagging be it of religious, racial or 'life choice' groups & haven't been particularly offended; Oh, and for the record, I too am a practicing Christian... truth is that if YOU find something offensive, then report it!!!Whether we think the world has gone crazy or otherwise; the rules on 'Booby Gifs' or other what might be termed 'soft core erotica' have been defined, ignore the rules at your own peril, knowing that there will be an outcome generally not in your favour.Whilst the next bit will seem like an oxymoron, since I'm posting in this thread but, honestly, what the .... is all the fuss over the new infraction system really about? I simply don't get it..... Maybe I'm just a feeble minded, short, fat, old, god fearing, four iron flushing (just for you ferret) so & so who has missed somebody's point... G69 who was subject to a suspension seemed to take it on the chin pretty well... why are some of you up in arms on his behalf since, I get the impression that he seems to think it was fair cop?

Johnny Canuck
29th May 2012, 04:41 PM
Yoss takes it on the chin pretty well too.

IamViva
29th May 2012, 05:38 PM
whats the stance on manboob.gifs? mine are pretty impressive and would love to make a gif one day ;)

BrisVegas
29th May 2012, 07:38 PM
Did dicky get sent off?? :shock:

Sad day.

IamViva
29th May 2012, 07:41 PM
Did dicky get sent off?? :shock:

Sad day. on report, and two weeks with his early guilty plea i am lead to believe.

Ferrins
29th May 2012, 07:55 PM
Tickle me Elmo chick.

mike
29th May 2012, 08:06 PM
Third one was better.

ddasey
29th May 2012, 08:08 PM
I have just been back and looked over the 'TV Good sorts' thread.

Without wanting to rock the boat or cause a stir, I don't understand the difference.

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 08:11 PM
Why is that ironic?

because they can't see their own hypocrisy.

You do have the option to not read my posts if you find them so offensive, but that wouldn't help whatever agenda you are pushing.

It has nothing to do with whether someone chooses to read anothers posts or not, or avoid certain threads or forums. Offensive material and behaviour (and the definition of which is of course relative) is going to reflect on the community as a whole.

matty
29th May 2012, 08:13 PM
What about ranga's? Surely they're not getting off lightly?

That would offend me Jack and I'd have to report you.
After I lose my temper first.

Webster
29th May 2012, 08:23 PM
Point taken Matty, you gingers can be a fiery lot.

Blakey do you think Jesus and the disciples would have sat around the telly and watched some porn if it had been invented back then? I think they would have for sure. Probably with that Mary Magdalene chick doing a bit of pole dancing and some "extras" during intermission.

goughy
29th May 2012, 08:28 PM
I have just been back and looked over the 'TV Good sorts' thread.

Without wanting to rock the boat or cause a stir, I don't understand the difference.

Good point. We haven't been going backwards through everything. Don't have time. Only if we notice it, or it gets reported. We do the best we can.

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 08:33 PM
Blakey do you think Jesus and the disciples would have sat around the telly and watched some porn if it had been invented back then?

Definitely not, that would have made them hypocrites.

Webster
29th May 2012, 08:34 PM
Where does it say in the Bible that you can't watch porn and pole dancing hookers?

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 08:49 PM
You really want to know, why? are you nervous....
Sermon on the mount: Matthew 5 - topic adultery.

rubin
29th May 2012, 08:53 PM
Stretchig back to my high school catholic education here - but i believe mary magdalene was in fact a prostitute.

Webster
29th May 2012, 08:58 PM
What has adultery got to do with pornography?

rubin, according to Wiki she was most certainly a whore (with good feet washing skills)

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 09:05 PM

If you had of read where I told you to look, you would not have asked that question. I guess you never nicked a Gideon, so just use Google "matthew 5 adultery"

rubin
29th May 2012, 09:07 PM

rubin, according to Wiki she was most certainly a whore (with good feet washing skills)

Good to know.

Unless the porno is about an adulterous slut - they have bugger all in common

Webster
29th May 2012, 09:11 PM
Blakey,

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to desire her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away! It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into hell. 30 If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away! It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into hell "

I don't want to offend you as a Christian, but that is a complete load of shite.

It's time they updated that silly old book - it's way out of date.

Would it be a sin if Ron Jemery released a speaking book version of the Bible?

Webster
29th May 2012, 09:13 PM
Good to know.

Unless the porno is about an adulterous slut - they have bugger all in common

I doubt that would be the case. Most pornos I have seen invlove a woman requiring some kind of appliance repair, or riding horses bareback in flower filled fields (or a combination of both if you are lucky).

Jaroo should have something to add here if we are lucky.

Hux
29th May 2012, 09:16 PM

No one will mention Eag's ever in a post....Christian, short, nice man boobs, likes muslims, carrying a few pounds. :-)

However, this thread is dead. It has deteriorated into the usual Ozgolf thread and in many ways proved a point. Ozgolf comprises a large group of people with widely differing view points and moral bases who have one main thing in common....playing (or is it buying) golf (equipment).

We have those that will take a contrary view (or like playing devils advocate) because they cannot take a path well travelled, those that take the contrary view because they like to argue with those that like to take a contrary view; those who like to stir, those that like to laugh, those with no ****ing sense of humour at all (sadly yes they exist); those with a slightly off beat sense of humour and those with a Ferrinesque sense of humour :-)

Shame I started this as its started into a slagging match between the usual suspects - I personnally feel there was a lack of consultation of the end users. I am truly unsure whether the changes are for the better or worse and worry they will result in a forum with less interaction/engagement and as a result it will become a shell of its former self.

Compare the 1st Tee from this year to the past and see whether things are heading down or up as a starter as to whether the Forum is achieving.

rubin
29th May 2012, 09:16 PM
Not having a go here Blakey - but if u take each line and try and live according to that, your whole life will be a contradiction.

Even the church is saying that u need to consider the story, book etc as a whole. Not one individual line at a time.

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 09:29 PM
I don't want to offend you as a Christian, but that is a complete load of shite.
Your opinion on that does not offend me in the slightest, it is not even logical that it could.

You actually asked where in the bible does it say looking at pornography is wrong. I showed you, it is very clear.

It's time they updated that silly old book

Who is the they you refer to?

- it's way out of date.

oh I see, you think that morality and ethics change over time. If thats the case, how do we know what is right and what is wrong?

depends on how he portrays any book, the content is irrelevant.

Not having a go here Blakey - but if u take each line and try and live according to that, your whole life will be a contradiction.

You could not get any more ignorant than that Rubin. Unfortunately that is having a go at you :-)

Even the church is saying that u need to consider the story, book etc as a whole. Not one individual line at a time.

This is partly correct, (except for the fact that the 'church' cannot say anything because it does not exist as an entity) A doctrine cannot and should not be built just one verse. However the verse I have referred Jack to has several cross references by several writers so the context is clear, and the readers can have no doubt.

shazza_rs
29th May 2012, 09:36 PM
Compare the 1st Tee from this year to the past and see whether things are heading down or up as a starter as to whether the Forum is achieving.

It's okay. You can continue to have your secret invite only "ozgolf" rounds.

LarryLong
29th May 2012, 09:41 PM
The first rule about the Infraction System should be that nobody talks about the Infraction System.

Ferrins
29th May 2012, 10:39 PM
He started out as a nice person and then did a complete 180 and beat me up from that day forward, physically, mentally, and psychologically. The psychological damage will never go away”
― Linda Lovelace

Yossarian
29th May 2012, 10:44 PM

Blakey,

"You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to desire her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away! It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into hell. 30 If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away! It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into hell "

It's time they updated that silly old book - it's way out of date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

timah!
29th May 2012, 10:51 PM

:lol:

PeteyD
30th May 2012, 04:56 AM
and those with a Ferrinesque sense of humour :-)

Those?

sms316
30th May 2012, 06:30 AM
It's okay. You can continue to have your secret invite only "ozgolf" rounds. Nothing wrong with keeping the undesirable away.

shazza_rs
30th May 2012, 06:35 AM
Nothing wrong with keeping the undesirable away.

Actually thanks for keeping the undesirables in one location now that I think about it.

Marto65
30th May 2012, 07:58 AM
Actually thanks for keeping the undesirables in one location now that I think about it.

Didn't get an invite Shaz?

Marto65
30th May 2012, 07:59 AM
30 If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away! It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into hell "

Looks like I'm going to hell.

Webster
30th May 2012, 08:06 AM
Use your left hand Marto.

Ferrins
30th May 2012, 08:38 AM
Those?

Your jibes are as boring as jarro's.

Jarro
30th May 2012, 08:49 AM
Your jibes are as boring as jarro's.

Good to see they're not going unoticed though

Jarro
30th May 2012, 08:51 AM
This thread done yet ?

I think by now we all know who does and doesn't like the new system.

Thing is it's here to stay people, so we all have to get used to it.

Happy posting.

sms316
30th May 2012, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a reply to this before lockdown.
I have ran quite a few community websites over the years that have been succesful, the above comment is the part that i honestly struggle with, if the site is purely here for the 2 of you then all good, let us all know exactly what you want, i was under the impression it was a community driven website.

just
30th May 2012, 08:56 AM
It was answered. They are maintaining the site to acceptable community standards.

sms316
30th May 2012, 09:01 AM
It was answered. They are maintaining the site to acceptable community standards. Fair enough. As long as you are happy Chief.

Jarro
30th May 2012, 09:07 AM
Fair enough. As long as you are happy Chief.

Well mate, if you're not happy here anymore....

just
30th May 2012, 09:08 AM
Is this more of your conspiracy theory, "worlds against me" rubbish? Poor you. I don't have any more say on how the forums run than anyone else.

sms316
30th May 2012, 09:15 AM
Well mate, if you're not happy here anymore.... It's the vibe. The place has lost the vibe.

Jarro
30th May 2012, 09:20 AM
It's the vibe. The place has lost the vibe.

Dicky's only been gone a couple of days mate .... it's not the end of the world.

sms316
30th May 2012, 09:24 AM
It lost the vibe when kids that are as ugly as a hat full of arseholes are acceptable as avatars but admiration for a good sort who isn't naked by any stretch is.

TheTrueReview
30th May 2012, 09:28 AM
Thread created - 28 May 2012.
Pages to date - 7

Any predictions on how long it will continue?

Moe Norman
30th May 2012, 09:29 AM
http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/082010/mankini-10.jpg

Sydney Hacker
30th May 2012, 09:39 AM
It lost the vibe when kids that are as ugly as a hat full of arseholes are acceptable as avatars but admiration for a good sort who isn't naked by any stretch is.Going out in a blaze?

sms316
30th May 2012, 09:40 AM
Posting pictures if kids might attract peados.

BenM
30th May 2012, 09:58 AM
Sites have to have some rules otherwise anarchy takes over. This place appears to be _very_ lightly moderated compared to others I'm involved with. As a newbie here this really does look like a storm in a teacup to me.

Although I'm disappointed that I missed the boobs, I understand why they wouldn't be allowed and don't really have an issue with it. If you want to encourage participation from all walks of life (women, junior golfers, people with a wide spectrum of religious beliefs etc) then it's not really appropriate.

Fact is this place does seem to be full of in jokes and people taking the piss out of each other. I don't have an issue with that (though from my perspective it does make the place less welcoming to new people, I can handle that but others might give up easier than me). But I've seen it before on other forums, people take things the wrong way on the internet and start fights, so there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Daves
30th May 2012, 10:18 AM

See what happens when you won't use email!;)

mike
30th May 2012, 10:23 AM
Funny Daves.

Daves
30th May 2012, 10:31 AM
I sent Dicky some links to some good Boobie gifs. He should be OK for a couple of days.

Ferrins
30th May 2012, 10:49 AM
Can we have a section for the guys who sit down to pee?

Peter
30th May 2012, 10:55 AM
I think by now we all know who does and doesn't like the new system.That's not really the interesting part of the discussion. The interesting part is what Moe is trying to point out. Is he being too subtle?

Yossarian
30th May 2012, 10:58 AM
The ghey is ok, the boobs are not.

just
30th May 2012, 11:02 AM
That's not really the interesting part of the discussion. The interesting part is what Moe is trying to point out. Is he being too subtle?
So far he's called the site's owners hypocrits and liars and then outlined his own hypocrisy and selfishness and I can't say he's been subtle about it.

Moe Norman
30th May 2012, 11:20 AM
So far he's called the site's owners hypocrits and liars and then outlined his own hypocrisy and selfishness and I can't say he's been subtle about it.

I've done nothing of the sort, but you can continue to make accusations with no basis in fact.

If you can't see how saying 'no homo' or using 'gay' and/or 'ghey' in a deliberately derogatory manner is clearly offensive to someone who is homosexual, then thats your business.

There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about my position. I'm not offended by anything I've seen on this forum, however if we are concerned by people being offended - then we shouldn't pick and choose who its ok to offend.

PeteyD
30th May 2012, 11:37 AM
I think you will find the majority of the moderation is reactionary, in that someone needs to report it for it to be removed. To some extent I prefer this to some of the proactive nazi like forums that are around.

just
30th May 2012, 11:39 AM
I've done nothing of the sort, but you can continue to make accusations with no basis in fact..
Just checked, the liars thing was Peter, so you have my apologies. Have a read through your posts, your posts aren't essentially call the site owners and mods hypocrits.

If you can't see how saying 'no homo' or using 'gay' and/or 'ghey' in a deliberately derogatory manner is clearly offensive to someone who is homosexual, then thats your business.
I do think some of it is offensive and I've complained about it. I've got my reply from the mods sometimes agreeing, sometimes not, but I'm not the one whinging about the system they've implemented.

There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about my position. I'm not offended by anything I've seen on this forum, however if we are concerned by people being offended - then we shouldn't pick and choose who its ok to offend.
Saying your not a racist and then saying your not interested in doing anything about anyone who posts racist stuff seems pretty hypocritical and selfish to me. I'm sure you will come up with some justification about how it doesn't affect you so it's all okay. Following your logic it's okay to call women sluts, hateful bitches, etc as long we don't start calling your wife and daughters the same.

Bruce Dickinson
30th May 2012, 11:55 AM
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives. This is Bruce Dickinson and these are the days of our lives

Johnny Canuck
30th May 2012, 12:02 PM
This thread has been a great catalyst to get everyone together, talking, in a pretty much civilised manner. This thread is OzGolf (without gifs, unfortunately).

Marto65
30th May 2012, 12:11 PM
Lives.

I think some people need to get one.

Marto65
30th May 2012, 12:15 PM
Just checked, the liars thing was Peter, so you have my apologies. Have a read through your posts, your posts aren't essentially call the site owners and mods hypocrits.

I do think some of it is offensive and I've complained about it. I've got my reply from the mods sometimes agreeing, sometimes not, but I'm not the one whinging about the system they've implemented.

Saying your not a racist and then saying your not interested in doing anything about anyone who posts racist stuff seems pretty hypocritical and selfish to me. I'm sure you will come up with some justification about how it doesn't affect you so it's all okay. Following your logic it's okay to call women sluts, hateful bitches, etc as long we don't start calling your wife and daughters the same.

I feel like reporting this post.

I feel it is .... get ready for this one .... UNJUST !!

Boom-tish !!

But quite frankly, the last part 'following logic' is way over the top.

Moe Norman
30th May 2012, 12:20 PM

No problems with the system here either, just the implementation.

Saying your not a racist and then saying your not interested in doing anything about anyone who posts racist stuff seems pretty hypocritical and selfish to me.

I'll grant you selfish, but not hypocritical. It's not up to me to be offended on behalf of others, unless they are directly insulted. Say something derogatory about a black person, I'd think less of you, but wouldn't be offended. Say something about a friend of mine who is black, and I'll defend them.

I'm sure you will come up with some justification about how it doesn't affect you so it's all okay. I don't think its ok. However I have not declared myself the judge. Those that have delcared themselves the judge, declare it ok through their lack of action.

Following your logic it's okay to call women sluts, hateful bitches, etc as long we don't start calling your wife and daughters the same.

Not ok in either case, but I'd only be upset or offended by it if it referred to my wife and daughters. Mainly because in my view it is false, it may not be false in other circumstances relating to other women.

Sometimes harmless fun is exactly that, harmless. Until the PC brigade and moral crusaders get their goat up to feel important.

just
30th May 2012, 12:26 PM
I feel like reporting this post..

Then do it nothing holding you back.

Plenty of whinging on this issue from quite a few of you and yet you have come up with nothing constructive about how to change it. If you don't like it come up with some useful suggestions.

It's not about being PC Thommo, its about being halfway decent. Some of you seem pretty happy to carry on here in a way you know that would unacceptable in your wider communities. This is not a private forum so its not a private conversation.

Eag's
30th May 2012, 12:32 PM
Here is a useful suggestion, how about we just get on with it from here on in. The back and forth diatribe is getting rather boring to say the least.
There are far more important thing in life to concern yourself without worrying about a bloody internet forum.

timah!
30th May 2012, 12:38 PM
Eag's for PM!

sms316
30th May 2012, 12:44 PM
Timah for mod!

Marto65
30th May 2012, 12:47 PM
Then do it nothing holding you back.

I'm no dobber.

BrisVegas
30th May 2012, 12:49 PM
To me, this forum has lost it's appeal. This isn't a parting shot, I've made some good friendships here and I plan to keep an interest in ozgolf.

It's probably just that it's run it's natural course over the past 8 years or so, but I'm sick of hearing the same old shit from the same wankers ad nauseum. If you think you might be one of the "personalities" sucking the life out of this place, maybe it's time to take a break.

Hopefully this forum, that so many of us have put our energies into, can reinvent itself and get bigger and better.

Yossarian
30th May 2012, 12:53 PM
BV for mod!

goughy
30th May 2012, 01:17 PM
Well, this thread has been going well. Certainly some big personalities have been able to have their say. And the poll seems to speak volumes; not just it's actual results, but the fact that less than 40 members seem to have any opinion on the matter. I think most are just happy to go through there day, dropping in for a chat or read up when they want. I'm very happy with that.

Now I think g69 mentioned it in his email I posted, and I've never been shy about having said it in the past, and it's my comments about how if you don't like how things are done, the software is out there and you have plenty of opportunities to start your own forum and run it how you want. I'm not saying it specifically here again, or targeting it at anyone. But I think maybe I should qualify the statement and explain it further.

I think most here these days would have no idea exactly how ozgolf started. Many have an idea, but most would be wrong. It was very much because Jaster and I were feeling like a few of you do. Like the admin were not doing things as would have liked. We did things a little differently, in that we didn't take things to the open forum, we addressed it directly and privately to the admin themselves in messages and discussions. We, as a few of you do, felt unsatisfied with the response. So we took our bat and ball and did exactly what we have suggested you do if you don't like things. We started ozgolf.

Now I know some think we are just copping out, or giving the short answer when we say that. But it is exactly what I did, so I am speaking from experience with it. Actions speak louder than words.

Moe Norman
30th May 2012, 02:24 PM
Plenty of whinging on this issue from quite a few of you and yet you have come up with nothing constructive about how to change it. If you don't like it come up with some useful suggestions.

My view is if it aint broke, don't fix it. Obviously it was broken and nobody noticed?

It's not about being PC Thommo, its about being halfway decent. Some of you seem pretty happy to carry on here in a way you know that would unacceptable in your wider communities. This is not a private forum so its not a private conversation.

I guess I'm not decent, because I've never posted or said a thing on here I wouldn't say in a public conversation or in my wider community.

Well, this thread has been going well. Certainly some big personalities have been able to have their say. And the poll seems to speak volumes; not just it's actual results, but the fact that less than 40 members seem to have any opinion on the matter. I think most are just happy to go through there day, dropping in for a chat or read up when they want. I'm very happy with that.

I voted that I don't give a rats, because I don't really. I've just been home with a sick wife for 4 days and had nothing better to do. What I've said is merely an opinion that if we wish to moderate in the manner suggested, we should do so.

Now I think g69 mentioned it in his email I posted, and I've never been shy about having said it in the past, and it's my comments about how if you don't like how things are done, the software is out there and you have plenty of opportunities to start your own forum and run it how you want. I'm not saying it specifically here again, or targeting it at anyone. But I think maybe I should qualify the statement and explain it further.

I think most here these days would have no idea exactly how ozgolf started. Many have an idea, but most would be wrong. It was very much because Jaster and I were feeling like a few of you do. Like the admin were not doing things as would have liked. We did things a little differently, in that we didn't take things to the open forum, we addressed it directly and privately to the admin themselves in messages and discussions. We, as a few of you do, felt unsatisfied with the response. So we took our bat and ball and did exactly what we have suggested you do if you don't like things. We started ozgolf.

Now I know some think we are just copping out, or giving the short answer when we say that. But it is exactly what I did, so I am speaking from experience with it. Actions speak louder than words.

Perfectly valid sentiment - but out of interest how much of your own cash did you donate to ISG to help the place keep kicking along? How many people did you refer to the site? Did you donate any money or equipment to events? Host forum members at your private golf club?

Some people (not me) feel a sense of ownership and committment to a place where they have constantly done some of the above, or all of the above - and perhaps hope that as a member of the community they played a signficant role in building, their opinion is worthy of a hearing, rather than outright dismissal. Just a thought.

goughy
30th May 2012, 03:08 PM
With regards to your question of whether it was broke or not, there were people who had issues with things. We have listened to them, yourself, and others and reacted as we saw fit with all the information we had, and whether you believe us out not, taking everyone opinions to hand. Hence the introduction of the infraction system. I do think a few may think it's introduction was a knee jerk reaction, but in fact it was many months of discussion, refinement etc before it became active. Needless to say it was not done on a whim. The rules were always in place, but we did a poor job of enforcing them. But they were there from the start.

No, I put no money into isg. He was running a business, and the forum was but one small part of it. Yes, lots of people have contributed to ozgolf over the years. As have I. The rules, while refined over the years, have always been there, there has been no mystery about them. So I'm not sure what your asking here? It seems to me that you are trying to be the 'voice of the people'. But they don't need you to be. Those that have wanted to have been able to do so. The polls results are there for all to see. We have left this thread and poll open for all to see and comment on. So I'm a bit lost at who you are standing up for? For a person who seems to be saying it had no real affect on me, you seem to be saying it a lot.

Just a heads up, this is going around in circles, but it seems everyone who's wanted to have a say has done so. I'll close the thread later on. In future any problems or concerns can be directed to any admin or moderator directly by pm or email.

Moe Norman
30th May 2012, 03:15 PM
I'm not asking anything here and wasn't speaking for myself.

My simple point was that while it might be nice to tell people to take their bat and ball and play elsewhere, its not really appropriate in this circumstance. In my own opinion of course.

Given the way the site has evolved over the years, its dissapointing that the 'my way or the highway' approach has been taken all of a sudden.

goughy
30th May 2012, 03:21 PM
Well, I guess I'm happy that i disagree with you.

Outcast
30th May 2012, 03:53 PM
Dear Mods,

FWIW I still enjoy coming here, still enjoy the friendly banter & jibes.

I don't think the site has lost anything but, then I have not been here that long. Good on you for making a stand WRT established rules. I fail to understand how warning people for pushing boundaries & suspending/banning for continued infringement is unfair.

You have my full support & I will continue to enjoy this forum as the friendliest online forum I have encountered to date.

Being a Defence member, i have witnessed first hand how out of control things can get in public forums & unless people have been napping im sure you have all seen the headlines. Keep it clean, keep it friendly & this will remain a great site for golfers of all ages & genders. I routinely recommend this site to golfing friends & will continue to do so in its present form

I hope you guys receive more thanks than criticism but, felt it time to publicly state my thanks

Regards

Outcast

Johnny Canuck
30th May 2012, 04:11 PM
Just a heads up, this is going around in circles, but it seems everyone who's wanted to have a say has done so. I'll close the thread later on. In future any problems or concerns can be directed to any admin or moderator directly by pm or email.

Goughy,

Is there really anything being said that warrants the closing of the thread? It hasn't come to that. A simple discussion is being had. It seems that whenever anyone tries to discuss the new system, the threads are locked. Are we forbidden to discuss it? There are 1000 threads out there that are going around in circles or less on topic than this one.

If you close it, the conversation will just spill over into a bunch of other threads until someone creates a new thread in a few weeks and then the cycle will simply repeat itself.

Moe Norman
30th May 2012, 04:19 PM
Johnny,

They want your donations, not your opinion ;)

PeteyD
30th May 2012, 04:32 PM
If the moderators were getting a number of reports from people that found stuff offensive, and acted on it, is that wrong? The infraction system quantifies the moderation technique and makes it more transparent than it was. I guess this is in an attempt to stop people feeling like they are being picked on if a reported post get removed.

Other than the removal of boobie gifs (however sad and depressing this action is), which was always happening, and has been cracked down on before (animated avatars etc) is there anything different?

goughy
30th May 2012, 04:47 PM
You win Moe. You trolled me well, and have left me deflated and insulted. =D>

Dotty
30th May 2012, 04:52 PM
This is only going around in circles, because the minority (that were outpolled 3 to 1) don't agree with popular opinion.

Or more accurately, outpolled 8 to 1, as 'don't give a rat's arse' does not support their cause either.

Moe Norman
30th May 2012, 05:03 PM
What cause is that?

I voted 'don't give a rats' but if I didn't have that option, I would have voted in support of the infraction system.

I agree with Goughy, it is tiring explaining your position.

PS: it was not my intention to deflate or insult you Goughy, just as I'm sure it wasn't your intention to do the same to many members of this forum.

timah!
30th May 2012, 05:06 PM
Moe, do you honestly believe the shit you dribble?

Jarro
30th May 2012, 05:07 PM
What cause is that?

I voted 'don't give a rats' but if I didn't have that option, I would have voted in support of the infraction system.

I agree with Goughy, it is tiring explaining your position.

PS: it was not my intention to deflate or insult you Goughy, just as I'm sure it wasn't your intention to do the same to many members of this forum.

And who would these 'many' members be Moe ?

I'm getting the vibe that the majority of the members here quite approve of what's going on, and are glad that these rules are going to be policed more strictly.

Yossarian
30th May 2012, 05:20 PM
I've spoken about Katy Perry's boobs in public.

Hux
30th May 2012, 05:22 PM

Thanks never thought I had to seek anyone's permission to go and play as guest of a member anywhere but I still appreciate your acknowledgement Shaz.

FYI Daves and I will be playing a 'secret invite only" round at Royal Pines tomorrow at midday.

Jarro
30th May 2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks never thought I had to seek anyone's permission to go and play as guest of a member anywhere but I still appreciate your acknowledgement Shaz.

FYI Daves and I will be playing a 'secret invite only" round at Royal Pines tomorrow at midday.

snobs :p

perci
30th May 2012, 06:27 PM
snobs :p

Not realy,I was invited!

Hooker
30th May 2012, 06:31 PM
Johnny,

They want your donations, not your opinion ;)

Low blow , if this was in the ring you would be disqualified , hope the same happens in this situation.

markTHEblake
30th May 2012, 06:32 PM
I think that secret group has a height restriction,

Hooker
30th May 2012, 06:35 PM
Why.

Hux
30th May 2012, 06:36 PM
I think that secret group has a height restriction,

Nah Shaz and Peter_RS have both played in these "secret" days as well.

shazza_rs
30th May 2012, 06:38 PM
My normal group at Nudgee on Sunday is hardly a "secret" day.

peter_rs
30th May 2012, 06:40 PM

?

sms316
30th May 2012, 06:43 PM
Who gives a flying frig if a bunch of OZgolfers organise a game without using the forum?

perci
30th May 2012, 06:46 PM
Come on Guys and Gals rules is rules,even if you don't like or agree with them you have to abide by them,I don't like the .830 rule because of my 46 mph swing speed thats just the way it is!

peter_rs
30th May 2012, 06:46 PM
Some do....Apparently SMS

Perci is it that fast these days

sms316
30th May 2012, 06:49 PM
Some do.... Why? I didn't realise that there was an obligation here. If people become mates through this forum and want to gravitate towards those people isn't that just a natural progression?

perci
30th May 2012, 06:52 PM
Why? I didn't realise that there was an obligation here. If people become mates through this forum and want to gravitate towards those people isn't that just a natural progression?

No Homo!

Webster
30th May 2012, 06:55 PM
These bitching threads do Ozgolf no favours. Its not a democracy here - the rules are what they are, they are very clearly stated, and easily observed if you choose to post about golf and/or want to have a bit of fun with your online mates. So just suck it up and get on with it for goodness sake.

sms316
30th May 2012, 06:55 PM
No Homo! Maybe a little bit of homo. Hux is looking hot these days.

peter_rs
30th May 2012, 07:00 PM
Why? I didn't realise that there was an obligation here. If people become mates through this forum and want to gravitate towards those people isn't that just a natural progression?

SMS I don't care either way, I see the 1st tee as away to arrange games if you have a spare spot why not try and fill it.

perci
30th May 2012, 07:07 PM
Maybe a little bit of homo. Hux is looking hot these days.

He was until his Leg Hair started to grow back!

Perci is it that fast these days[/QUOTE]

On a good day,Yes!

Yossarian
30th May 2012, 07:50 PM
Honour in the 1st tee section?

I think the major issue is no one see booby gifs as that offensive but we all knew they would result in a paddlin'. I see infractions from both sides now ( sorry Joni) and have no real value to add, as usual. Peace.

ddasey
30th May 2012, 07:52 PM

Lucky buggers. I must be doing something wrong, can never, ever seem to wrangle a Thursday off.

Enjoy.

shazza_rs
30th May 2012, 08:19 PM

My apologies. It's been pointed out to me that I once participated in a non '1st tee' sanctioned ozgolf day. My sincerest apologies to those who care.

BroKar
30th May 2012, 08:27 PM
My apologies. It's been pointed out to me that I once participated in a non '1st tee' sanctioned ozgolf day. My sincerest apologies to those who care.

Apology accepted, I and the many that we're deeply offended will now be able to sleep at night. :-)

Moe Norman
30th May 2012, 09:38 PM
And who would these 'many' members be Moe ?I'm getting the vibe that the majority of the members here quite approve of what's going on, and are glad that these rules are going to be policed more strictly. Dunno mate, but this ain't the first thread about the subject and I certainly haven't started any of them, and as I've said ad nauseam I have no problem with the system at all, it's a good system. I've only every queried the consistency and dismissive response to the concerns raised - again, concerns not raised by me.Best we move on, next time another person starts a thread like this I won't comment.

CobraSS
30th May 2012, 09:52 PM
https://forums.playfire.com/_proxy/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gifshare.com%2Fuploads%2Fima ges%2F20071023%2Ffull_size%2F7691_manboobs.gif&hmac=b292621c5ac1dd1b490acc7e9c4e31b0