PDA

View Full Version : Garage doors - vertical gaps?

markTHEblake
27th May 2012, 08:57 PM
Hey Home owners.

I have the typical modern garage door that gets pulled up and across the ceiling (not a a rollerdoor), i think called a sectional door. It has the brand or model "Permamaster by CSI doors" label on it. I have just realised after spending the last 2 nights trying to figure out why there is a draught in my house that there is a 1-2 cm vertical gap on either side of the garage door, and there is a fairly stiff cold draft coming through there. I would think though that there has to be some sort of gap otherwise you would have friction.

If any of you guys have a similar door, does yours have the same gap, or is there some sort of weather seal on the sides?

Pencil
27th May 2012, 09:01 PM
All the ones I've installed there is a gap. I have tried to block it from the outside before, but it never looks right.

borby
27th May 2012, 09:05 PM
My parents always had a gap on this type of door. A few years ago they put in an electric and had to replace the doors, since then the gap has been much smaller. I can't look through the gap to see if there is a car in the garage anymore. I think the hinges/mechanisms are better now and don't move as much to allow them to fit better. Either that or the electric is smoother than opening by hand and can allow a tighter fit.

Daves
27th May 2012, 09:07 PM
Yep, about 1 cm gap either side. Also a similar gap at the top. Closing the door into the garage takes care of the draft.

markTHEblake
27th May 2012, 09:12 PM
Yep, about 1 cm gap either side. Also a similar gap at the top. Closing the door into the garage takes care of the draft.
Yeah i just jammed a bunch of rubber under the internal door a short time ago. The initial reason for that was to stop tom and jerry coming in for the night - the dirty little mothers! thats what lead me to the draught.

Still would like to do something about the garage door though, its like the north wind coming through there, and now still a tiny bit coming through around the internal door though and I am way too soft.

Daves
27th May 2012, 09:16 PM
Yeah i just jammed a bunch of rubber under the internal door a short time ago. The initial reason for that was to stop tom and jerry coming in for the night - the dirty little mothers! thats what lead me to the draught.

Still would like to do something about the garage door though, its like the north wind coming through there, and now still a tiny bit coming through around the internal door though and I am way too soft.

We have a weather strip on the bottom of the door, makes it pretty air tight.

golfbound
28th May 2012, 07:46 AM
I run one of Australia's biggest Garage Door wholesalers and yes sectional panel doors will have this gap althought it shouldn't be more than about 1-1.5cm this is needed to allow the door to move properly. We do sell strip seal to fix the draft problem however the cheapest way is to just go and by some of that grey foam concreters use with the double sided tape on the back (This is what i have done and works a treat.)and stick it down the sides of the wall to fill the gap the foam will squish where it needs to (normally at the bottom) and you may need to double it at the very top depending on your gap. Please remember after sticking this on spray the foam with silicone spray to allow the door to slide on it and not pull it off. I hope this helps, and if you do need a new door or opener, www.ammodoors.com.au or www.phoenixgaragedoors.com.au.

If you stuck Mark give me a yell.

goughy
28th May 2012, 08:01 AM

We have a weather strip on the bottom of the door, makes it pretty air tight.

We had a similar problem with our garage and internal door mtb. Not just a draft coming through (gets windy where we are) but also found that that was where mice and frogs were getting in. Same as Daves, used a weather seal under the internal door, and humane traps at either side of the panel door. I know the odd mouse is still getting past the traps, but they can't get inside any more (except when the cat brings them in to show us how good a mouser she is). The gap under our internal garage door was a bit on the big side, so I used a type of weather seal that is spring loaded and drops down when you shut the door, lifts up when you open it. Not much is getting through it now days. Even if you seal the panel doors, I'd still do the internal door.

Oh, and if you get humane mouse traps, make sure they're plastic. That way they don't rust when you submerge them in a bucket of water....

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 09:17 PM
some of that grey foam concreters use with the double sided tape on the back (This is what i have done and works a treat.)

Like this stuff?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Dy6ol0yYaqU/T8SsY8yGrBI/AAAAAAAAAeY/5PtHqxUU0b4/s320/2012-05-29

and if you get humane mouse traps, make sure they're plastic. That way they don't rust when you submerge them in a bucket of water....

Yeah I do have plastic ones, its funny how sometimes the trap only slams down on their leg and they can move quite a distance especially on the concrete in the garage. Its quite a surprise when you go to check the traps and find the traps missing - first thought its, how big is the sucker! Found him in morning in a pile of the missus shoes. should have left him there and set up a webcam.

Thought better of it and chucked him into the garden, how he only got his back leg stuck I dont know. The idiot came back last night for some more and got done by the same trap. Must have been a male mouse, but got him good this time.

golfbound
30th May 2012, 01:30 PM
Yep similar stuff to this, if you find the tape isn't sticky enough let me know as we have some really sticky stuff here we use for custom doors.

markTHEblake
30th May 2012, 06:35 PM
You stick it on the inside of the wall facing the door, right?

another mate of mine said he put something else on the outside of the door, at right angles.

golfbound
30th May 2012, 07:50 PM
You stick it on the inside of the wall facing the door, right?

another mate of mine said he put something else on the outside of the door, at right angles.

Yes correct stick it on the wall. Your mate would be talking about ally angle, this doesnt work as well as the foam tape