PDA

View Full Version : Computer Virus - Help Required

popper81
24th May 2012, 06:19 PM
I need help !!!

Turned on the laptop tonight, and it was coming up a system error saying ' A write command during the test has failed to complete...."... Wasn't sure what to do, so I googled it, and it come up as a virus. A decided a system restore was worth trying ( DUMB - HAve no idea)

Anyway, did and it appears all is ok.... WHAT MORE SHOULD I DO?

Daves
24th May 2012, 06:23 PM
What Virus and Spyware scanners do you have installed? I would run full scans to make sure there is nothing still lurking.

Do you have a link to the site that told you it was a virus?

popper81
24th May 2012, 06:33 PM
Running scans now.... The weird thing is The last thing I did this afternoon was read the page about the shafts into hybrids that Lefty posted, the spywear come up a trojan or something. Then this...

Take your pick from these for sites Dave:
http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=a+write+command+during+the+test+has+failed+to+co mplete+virus&oq=a+write+command+during+the+test+h&aq=1&aqi=g6&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l6.873.28102.1.31110.39.16.3.20.20.1. 269.3789.2-16.16.0...0.0.oZR-K8ZJ2DQ&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a8e41b1d38a5797&biw=1441&bih=654

popper81
24th May 2012, 06:35 PM
Running McAfee

Dotty
24th May 2012, 06:52 PM
A fortnight ago, my laptop had something along the lines of S.M.A.R.T. virus, that pretended there was a major hard-disk error. ('Lost' everything on desktop, except recycle bin, Start Menu appeared to have nothing.)

McAfee didn't detect it coming in, and running a virus scan initiated a reboot after 15 seconds.

It's an annoying sucker, and I too suspect that I picked it up from an innocent-looking PDF or review.

I don't keep anything useful on the laptop, and just ran a system recovery. (Tapping F8 on booting-up brings up the Dell recovery menu.) Spent half a day re-installing various bits of software, gettting Windows 7 up to latest release, etc.

dave1
24th May 2012, 06:59 PM
AVG for free is good!

Purchased AVG version is excellent

BenM
24th May 2012, 07:04 PM
That fake SMART tool is pretty common, I got rid of it from a couple of machines last week. It's reasonably easy to get rid of but can be a PITA to undo the damage it causes.

Won't go into all the details of how to remove it (but post here if you want help) - once you've got rid of it you should be able to run unhide.exe from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html and that should get back your start menu/desktop icons and all the other things that have been hidden and/or deleted.

Edit: But in answer to your initial question: run a full scan and make sure the darn thing is properly gone, you will probably find the executable is still sitting dormant in C:\Users\YourUsername\Appdata or C:\ProgramData (assuming Win7/Vista) - it won't run unless someone runs it but I'd delete it to be sure.

popper81
24th May 2012, 07:13 PM
A fortnight ago, my laptop had something along the lines of S.M.A.R.T. virus, that pretended there was a major hard-disk error. ('Lost' everything on desktop, except recycle bin, Start Menu appeared to have nothing.)

McAfee didn't detect it coming in, and running a virus scan initiated a reboot after 15 seconds.

It's an annoying sucker, and I too suspect that I picked it up from an innocent-looking PDF or review.

I don't keep anything useful on the laptop, and just ran a system recovery. (Tapping F8 on booting-up brings up the Dell recovery menu.) Spent half a day re-installing various bits of software, gettting Windows 7 up to latest release, etc.

Exactly the same.... I have just doen the system restore.. Everything appears ok. Luckily

popper81
24th May 2012, 07:25 PM
That fake SMART tool is pretty common, I got rid of it from a couple of machines last week. It's reasonably easy to get rid of but can be a PITA to undo the damage it causes.

Won't go into all the details of how to remove it (but post here if you want help) - once you've got rid of it you should be able to run unhide.exe from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html and that should get back your start menu/desktop icons and all the other things that have been hidden and/or deleted.

Edit: But in answer to your initial question: run a full scan and make sure the darn thing is properly gone, you will probably find the executable is still sitting dormant in C:\Users\YourUsername\Appdata or C:\ProgramData (assuming Win7/Vista) - it won't run unless someone runs it but I'd delete it to be sure.

I am running windows7... Can't find it there... Think it will be there somewhere?

Johnny Canuck
24th May 2012, 07:36 PM
A fortnight ago, my laptop had something along the lines of S.M.A.R.T. virus, that pretended there was a major hard-disk error. ('Lost' everything on desktop, except recycle bin, Start Menu appeared to have nothing.)McAfee didn't detect it coming in, and running a virus scan initiated a reboot after 15 seconds. It's an annoying sucker, and I too suspect that I picked it up from an innocent-looking PDF or review. I don't keep anything useful on the laptop, and just ran a system recovery. (Tapping F8 on booting-up brings up the Dell recovery menu.) Spent half a day re-installing various bits of software, gettting Windows 7 up to latest release, etc. * known as the S.M.R.T virus in Albany.

popper81
24th May 2012, 07:55 PM
I have googled this a bit more, But I am useless when it comes to computers. Should i ditch the lappy and take it to a mate for him to have a look at it? Everyingthing appears to be running ok still?

BenM
24th May 2012, 08:08 PM
I am running windows7... Can't find it there... Think it will be there somewhere?

If you can't find it, I wouldn't stress too much - a full virus scan would (should) get rid of it anyway. It will not do anything unless someone or something actually runs it and by doing a system restore you've removed the registry entry that runs the little blighter at startup.

If you're not confident though, and you do have a mate that knows what he's doing, it can't hurt to get it checked. Sometimes these little nasties do come along as a result of something worse (trojan, search hijackers) that are already present that you may not be aware of. So if there's any doubt at all it can't hurt to do that.

Cosmopolite
24th May 2012, 08:23 PM
run the windows malicious software removal tool, change all passwords as well

markTHEblake
24th May 2012, 08:34 PM
I have googled this a bit more, But I am useless when it comes to computers. Should i ditch the lappy and take it to a mate for him to have a look at it? Everyingthing appears to be running ok still?

backup data, format hard drive and reinstall.
unless you really like pissing off your mates.

LeftyHoges
25th May 2012, 12:19 AM
Running scans now.... The weird thing is The last thing I did this afternoon was read the page about the shafts into hybrids that Lefty posted, the spywear come up a trojan or something. Then this... Take your pick from these for sites Dave:http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=a+write+command+during+the+test+has+failed+to+co mplete+virus&oq=a+write+command+during+the+test+h&aq=1&aqi=g6&aql=&gs_l=hp.1.1.0l6.873.28102.1.31110.39.16.3.20.20.1. 269.3789.2-16.16.0...0.0.oZR-K8ZJ2DQ&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=a8e41b1d38a5797&biw=1441&bih=654 I claim innocence! Was looking at this on work computer which did a full system scan around an hour later which turned up nothing. Plus a Windows Defender scan later in the day. Sorry anyway P!

popper81
29th May 2012, 11:07 AM
Ok, got this fixed through my mate.... Appears I still had the virus lating dormant. On his reccomendation I have changed protection from Mcafee to Trend Micro. He had about another 4 laptops with issues at present that were running Mcafee, and had said in the last month all of his virus related work had been Mcafee users.

markTHEblake
29th May 2012, 07:39 PM
I don't beleive any one Av is better than the other. Google for comparisons and you will find all views differ, but be aware trends change over time.

Many viruses infect Av applications so one if the first things you do is install another then delete the first, then also use a malware Detector and finally Hijackthis to keep cleaning and rechecking until you are confident it is gone.

just because Trend worked for you this time doesn't mean it will work better for your mate.

popper81
29th May 2012, 07:47 PM
I don't beleive any one Av is better than the other. Google for comparisons and you will find all views differ, but be aware trends change over time.

Many viruses infect Av applications so one if the first things you do is install another then delete the first, then also use a malware Detector and finally Hijackthis to keep cleaning and rechecking until you are confident it is gone.

just because Trend worked for you this time doesn't mean it will work better for your mate.

Makes sense... i have no idea with this stuff. I will have to stay away from those dodgy uni websites.