PDA

View Full Version : They just keep getting smaller...

Courty
21st September 2005, 12:26 AM
I am now (and have been for the last few days) the proud owner of a brand new 4GB iPod Nano (http://www.apple.com/au/ipodnano/).

I just can't get over how small the thing is, less than double the size of my 512MB iPod Shuffle. :shock:
Plus, the colour screen is so crisp. This thing is awesome!

Anyone else getting/ got one?

Flowergirl
21st September 2005, 09:42 AM
Whats an Ipod???? Is that like an eight track??? :shock: :D :wink:

jaster
21st September 2005, 10:29 AM
courty - thinking of getting one for xmas so I have started researching players...is it true that ipods don't play .wma? My 400 cds are all in .wma format on my PC...no way am I converting them to .mp3!!! :shock:
A friend has a 20gb Creative Zen Touch and it looks superb...over $400 though.

Jarro
21st September 2005, 10:31 AM
how much smaller can these things get :shock:

i'd like one for christmas too, although i'm happy with my little 512Mb player that i have at the moment (thanks Trung)

Trung
21st September 2005, 10:39 AM
you want small?

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2079/ssf8002lg1xp.jpg

Description
- Built-in 256 / 512MB/ 1GB
- Support Playback MP3 and WMA
- Built-in FM Radio and FM Radio Recording
- USB 1.1
- 15 Hours non-stop Playback
- Direct Plug and Play as a USB Storage
- Supports Display Multi Language
- Built in Li-ion rechargeable battery
- 2 Color OLED Backlight
- 5 Preset Equalizer Mode: Rock, Classic, POP, Jazz and Normal
- Made in Korea
- Dimension: 24W x 24H x 24D mm
- Weight: 18g

http://www.jnc-digital.com/jnchk/eng/products/mp3/ssf8100.html

jaster
21st September 2005, 10:40 AM
JNC an ok brand trungie? What are they worth?

AndyP
21st September 2005, 10:43 AM
JNC an ok brand trungie? What are they worth?
He would be a bad employee if he said they were a crap brand.

I've got a JNC. Works fine.

jaster
21st September 2005, 10:59 AM
:lol: hmmmm.....employee...hmmmm :-k

JNC OZgolf Championships :wink:

Trung
21st September 2005, 11:06 AM
Jaster... $229 rrp for a 512mb.

jaster
21st September 2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks mate...looks good!!

Courty
21st September 2005, 04:52 PM
courty - thinking of getting one for xmas so I have started researching players...is it true that ipods don't play .wma? My 400 cds are all in .wma format on my PC...no way am I converting them to .mp3!!!  :shock:

WMA! :roll: Damn Micro$oft! :evil:
That's correct, jaster, they don't play wma. And anyhow, if you were going to convert them all, I wouldn't do it to MP3. Try .AAC or .MP4. Higher compression with less loss of sound quality.

A 512MB iPod Shuffle costs $149 new, which is pretty competitive, but you still have the problem of WMA. :roll:

Fishman Dan
21st September 2005, 06:33 PM
Courty - you're the king!

And i'd dob those posts of Trung's, completely off-topic!! :lol:

peter_rs
22nd September 2005, 08:23 AM
The nano is good value I looked at one today 14 hours play time 4Gb storage for $350 thats impressive

terryand
23rd September 2005, 03:46 PM
This is the one I'm thinking of getting(thats if Trungie's mob doesn't have something similar).the thing I like about this type is that I can transfer photos from the camera,so I won't need heaps of cards if I go away or get snap happy at golf or a motor racing event.

Terry.

Courty
23rd September 2005, 03:49 PM
Courty - you're the king!

And i'd dob those posts of Trung's, completely off-topic!! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll post a pic over the weekend so you can get an idea of the size...

drunken
25th September 2005, 08:06 AM
courty - thinking of getting one for xmas so I have started researching players...is it true that ipods don't play .wma? My 400 cds are all in .wma format on my PC...no way am I converting them to .mp3!!!  :shock:
A friend has a 20gb Creative Zen Touch and it looks superb...over $400 though.

No need to worry Jaster. iTunes converts all your .wma files when you add them to the library. Takes a bit of time but no issues at all. I would also advise anyone using iTunes to make sure you have the file type for importing set it .aac as the quality is better than .mp3 & far superior to .wma

The only issue with .aac is that until recently the majority of DVD players, car stereos etc. would only play .mp3 on burnt cd's.

The Creatives always look good, but their Menu system seems to be lacking in features compared to other players on the market. Also I know that their PC software for file transfer etc was previously not the greatest (not sure what it's like these days).

terryand
25th September 2005, 06:10 PM
This is the one I'm thinking of getting(thats if Trungie's mob doesn't have something similar).the thing I like about this type is that I can transfer photos from the camera,so I won't need heaps of cards if I go away or get snap happy at golf or a motor racing event.

Terry.

Helps if I put the link in :oops:

http://shop.centre.net.au/index.html?cat=0008F60008F70008FD&it=product&prid=00130S

Terry.

Trung
29th September 2005, 02:56 PM
Apple admits to iPod Nano faults :twisted:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4286294.stm

The iPod Nano wowed fans with its sleek design Electronics firm Apple has admitted there have been problems with its new iPod Nano music player, after a string of complaints about damaged screens. The smaller version of the popular iPod was hailed as a design breakthrough when it was unveiled a few weeks ago, with the cheapest model costing £140.

Apple says a manufacturing problem has left screens on one batch vulnerable to cracks and is offering replacements.

It says the problem affects fewer than a tenth of 1% of all Nanos shipped.

However, it denies claims the Nanos are more prone to scratching than other models.

Owners have been complaining about cracked, scratched or inexplicably failing screens, sometimes within hours of buying the machine.

Customer anger
A website set up by Nano owner Matthew Peterson to collate complaints with a view to forcing Apple to address the issue received 30 e-mails per hour.

He closed down the site after Apple acknowledged there was a problem with some Nano screens, posting a message entitled "Apple does the right thing".

At the launch of the Nano at the start of September, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs introduced the "impossibly small" gadget - which is the thickness of five credit cards - by pulling the device out of his pocket.

But others have found carrying the device in this manner has resulted in inexplicable damage to the music player, which Apple's UK website sells for £140 for a model which can store up to 500 songs and £180 for one which stores 1,000.

One fifteen-year old, who had saved up to buy his Nano, found the machine suffered a cracked screen within three hours of buying it.

"I pulled my iPod out and my heart dropped. The LCD was half destroyed, but there is no visible scratch or mark on the outside of the iPod," he wrote.

Another irate customer said: "If I had done something to damage my iPod I wouldn't be as angry as I am because it would be my fault. But I haven't done anything," he wrote.

Mr Peterson, a financial consultant and loyal Apple fan, described how his Nano was damaged.

Too fragile

Steve Jobs launched the "impossibly small" new music player

"My Nano broke on day four. The screen that is. It shattered. It was in my pocket as I was walking and I sat down. No, I didn't sit on it, it was just in my pocket just as all iPods before it have done," he said.

He said the Nano was too fragile and should be recalled and improved.

iPod repair company iPod ResQ announced a temporary price increase on its iPod Nano screen replacement service due to what it describes as "overwhelming demand".

Apple says the problem with screens on some Nanos is quality issue rather than a design fault and is offering to replace the machines affected.

But a spokeswoman told BBC News Website the new machines were not more prone to scratching than other models.

She said: "The iPod Nano is made from the same high quality polycarbonate plastic as the very popular fourth generation iPod.

"If customers are concerned about scratching we suggest they use one of the many iPod Nano cases becoming available."

UK gadget magazine Stuff told the BBC News website it had had no reader complaints about the Nano.

Managing editor Adam Vaughan said his experience of the player was that it was "not as fragile as it looked". It had withstood considerable wear and tear, including being dropped.

"Like any gadget, it has got a bit scratched but that's about it," he said.

Courty
29th September 2005, 03:36 PM
Apple admits to iPod Nano faults    :twisted:

You're just jealous you don't have one. :wink:

Trung
29th September 2005, 05:06 PM
:wink:

Fishman Dan
29th September 2005, 06:52 PM
Have you seen the pics of damaged screens? They don't look at all like they may have been mishandled :roll:

Come on Trung - be a respectable competitor... besides, sell 20+ million units, i reckon you're allowed to have a few duds ;) :lol: