PDA

View Full Version : Flowergirl's lessons

Flowergirl
19th September 2005, 09:36 PM
I've been getting a lesson or two every month or so - as you can tell with not much committment, plan or schedule happening here. Now that the weather is starting to improve and that I have more time free ( now that Stacey ( daughter) has moved out. I have decided that I've been stuck on this damn handicap for too long. ( I've been off 20 for over 12 months now).
So - I'm going to have a lesson every two weeks and in between time work very hard on all the drills that I am given so that each lesson I should be able to move forward rather than just revising what we went through last lesson.
I'm very very happy with my pro - and I'm not expecting any "quick fixes". So far he has rebuilt my swing from what it was 12 months ago - and even though I haven't had the results in my scoring to show for it - I know that my new swing is coming along very nicely. It's not so much that I'm hitting further - but I am hitting it a lot more consistant and straighter.
I'll keep you posted on the progress. :wink:

Ona
19th September 2005, 10:25 PM
http://board.hondasociety.com/images/smilies/postpics.gif after every few lessons 8)

Ona
19th September 2005, 10:27 PM
oh and good luck FG! :smt023

Jarro
20th September 2005, 08:48 AM
Good luck FG.

i'm sure you'll get the right results with a little more practice ..... looking forward to seeing that handicap drop very soon 8)

Flowergirl
20th September 2005, 09:12 AM
No pictures are gunna happen....sorry.
This is going to be long..sorry :shock:

I had a lesson on Sunday and we worked on two things.

Firstly we worked on my takeaway. I've had my hands and arms in a good position but was only using them to start the takeaway and not loading up on the inside of my right leg. Once we got this right I had a lot more strength at the top position because I had acheived greater coil. Even though I'm not a spring chicken - I've still got a lot of flexability but I wasn't putting it to use because the arms were controlling the movement to the top. ( does this make sense?)
The next thing was getting my left side to begin the downswing - we worked on seperation - putting a bucket between my legs - to drive the left leg around instead of "pushing" around with my right side.

So last night when I went to practise I did a few drills and was happy that these two things I did without having to really think about it.
I hit 5 balls - that's all - and each was spot on. Straight, good ball flight and hit off the sweet spot. Gotta be happy with that.

I then just "wedged" around. Just little chips from all different lies - uphill, downhill, bare and rough just to get confident with different situations.
Only had half an hour - but felt like I acheived a lot.

I'm not expecting quick results - but at least I know that I will feel more confident which will make a huge difference. :wink:
Sorry for the long post. :shock:

Toolish
20th September 2005, 09:58 AM
I have a similar thread going on another golf board (iseekgolf...i hope the mods don't mind me mentioning another board!!) as I have been having lessons monthly all year. I am actually similar to you, improved swing but not many results to show for it.

I agree with Ona, you need to get some pics and vids happening, will make it a lot more beneficial for all.

Either way good luck with it all. 2 weeks would be too close together for lessons for me, takes me 3-4 weeks minimum to get new moves integrated into the swing, i feel if I had lessons every two weeks I would end up overloaded with information...but I may just be a slow learner!!

Flowergirl
20th September 2005, 10:50 AM
Slow learner-----I'm sure that you're not. :wink:
I've got a pretty good relationship with my teacher and he knows me and my game pretty well. He's the pro at my club so I'm always asking him to clarify points not only when we have lessons. Also because he knows I'm not after a quick fix we don't go onto the next step until the last one is well and truely in the muscle memory bank. We have spent the past six months just on the backswing - now we start the downswing. Also I'm very lucky. He only charges me $35 and I usually get from 60 to 90 mins. He gets just as much of a "buzz" when I hit a sweet ball as I do.
Hey - I just saw what your handicap is - I'd be a very happy little vegemite with that. :D
Thanks for your encouragement. :wink: