PDA

View Full Version : Tigergate - The lost ball.

TheNuclearOne
6th May 2012, 01:26 PM
Couldn't find any mention of it in any forum, but surely it's been broached already?

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/05/04/woods-gets-free-drop-at-no-5/

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/eye-on-golf/18971521/if-you-thought-woods-ruling-was-fishy-wait-until-you-read-this-fans-account

TheTrueReview
6th May 2012, 01:36 PM
I saw it discussed on the coverage & they didn't raise any issue.

I saw a recent PGA tour event where a player chipped out and a woman ran over to pick the ball up from the fairway & had to be stopped. I have no doubt that someone pocketed Tiger's ball in this instance. I saw the souveniring of driving range balls at last years Aussie Open after Tiger was on the range.

Courty
6th May 2012, 01:38 PM
Hmmm, seems a bit suss. Moot point in the end, since he missed the cut.

TheNuclearOne
6th May 2012, 01:50 PM
Hmmm, seems a bit suss. Moot point in the end, since he missed the cut.

It might not be moot when player x wants the same ruling in the future.

rubin
6th May 2012, 01:56 PM
surely there are situations when this has happened before (i.e spectator picking up a players ball)......... im guessing it would fall under the rulin for movement by an outside agency???

timinsa
6th May 2012, 02:17 PM
He has to be able to properly identify his ball. Hard to do when it's in someone's pocket.

sms316
6th May 2012, 02:19 PM
Are you guys aware that the PGA Tour don't play entirely by the rule book?

Veefore
6th May 2012, 07:53 PM
I'm just surprised that both sides of that story (the ball being taken by a fan/the ball being lost but fans say it was stolen) hadn't happened dozen's of times in the past.

No one can forget the playoff against Bob May where Tiger's ball went left into the trees then after a seemingly long time flew out into the open followed closely by a spectator.

So where do the officials draw the line when they have only the word of the fans/haters at the scene?

I sure don't know. :smt102

meh
6th May 2012, 09:54 PM
It might not be moot when player x wants the same ruling in the future.

Exactly.

idgolfguy
7th May 2012, 12:24 AM
Can you still phone in infractions that were televised? What about SMS or email'

TheNuclearOne
7th May 2012, 12:31 AM
Can you still phone in infractions that were televised? What about SMS or email'

I think they ended that.

Rodent
16th May 2012, 08:52 AM
What about sports betting? Fans all of a sudden have huge incentive to interfere with play for financial gain. It's a worry. Perhaps the fan saying he saw Tiger's ball had a huge bet on him to make the cut?
I believe that unless the ball thief can be identified it's bad luck. Given there was allegedly a group of people around Tiger's ball and then some ran off, where were all the witnesses to identify the ball thief?

Ferrins
16th May 2012, 08:56 AM
Bowdo's suspected his ball was nabbed recently in Aus.

popper81
16th April 2013, 02:34 PM
Thought this thread title seemed appropriate.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/16/vatudupe.jpg

matty
16th April 2013, 02:36 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oldplayer
16th April 2013, 09:08 PM
Classic!!