PDA

View Full Version : FIJI - what to do

Collis
30th April 2012, 08:04 PM
Going to Fiji in november and wondering what there is to do over there.
Let the missus book the trip and not 100% if there is much to do but sit on the beach...
Staying on the coral coast.

ideas would be great..

timah!
30th April 2012, 08:19 PM
Nothing. You do nothing in Fiji. You eat, sleep, relax, snorkel or dive. And you do it all on 'Fiji time'...

And it's great!

Collis
30th April 2012, 08:22 PM
the place im staying has a golf practice facility lol.. that might get a fair bit of use...

Masonwells
30th April 2012, 08:24 PM
I went two years ago with they have some good fishing if you feel safe enough in one of their boats. other than that a whole lot of ;) with the miss's

timah!
30th April 2012, 08:27 PM
What resort? We stayed at Outrigger on our honeymoon. Was fantastic.

Collis
30th April 2012, 08:28 PM
We are at the outrigger also in one of those beach bungalows...

Yossarian
30th April 2012, 08:37 PM
Stage a coup?

mike
30th April 2012, 08:37 PM
Stay away from Suva. It's a hole.

The rest is great.

EDIT- sorry, it was a hole in 1986. May be better now.

timah!
30th April 2012, 08:41 PM
Nice. It's great. Make sure you have a night at ivi restaurant, and also do the couples thing at Bebe spa.

We couldn't say enough for the staff, super friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

Go diving, they have a beginners pool splash and then do a dive.

qbnchopper
30th April 2012, 09:17 PM
Coral Coast - well if the Fijian is still there then the airstrip there I helped make in 1977 (?) ....so go and have a look at qbnchopper's handiwork .... admire the big ****en dip in Nadi airport's main runway outside the firestation where I saw a NZAF depart one side of the dip arrive the other side of the dip, burst two tires fly around for an hour burning fuel and land again ...

Nah snorkel, sleep and fish ...

sms316
1st May 2012, 12:25 AM
Stay away from Suva. It's a hole.The rest is great.EDIT- sorry, it was a hole in 1986. May be better now. It's a scary hole now. No place for a white man.

Ferrins
1st May 2012, 07:56 AM
I have a very good contact over there, PM me closer to the mark.

Moe Norman
1st May 2012, 10:30 AM
i'm going on Friday, and plan to do absolutely nothing

Collis
1st May 2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks Ferrins, Will let you know closer to the date.

Peppas
1st May 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm planning on going there in November as well. Yet to research it fully though. Got any good suggestions Collis? :)

Collis
1st May 2012, 05:21 PM
We are going 20-27th november I think if you want a golf partner lol. We are staying at the out rigger. Heard nothing but good things and they have a golf facility also ;)

Peppas
1st May 2012, 05:25 PM
We are going 20-27th november I think if you want a golf partner lol. We are staying at the out rigger. Heard nothing but good things and they have a golf facility also ;)

OK, outrigger, I'll look it up when I get home. I'll keep the golf facility to myself though hehe :)

Won't have clubs with me unfortunately :( We will be there probably from around 12/13th until 22nd/23rd probably so if there's overlap we can meet up for a drink haha. I'm sure the missus will be sick of me by then!

There's been some cheap deals on scoopon and the like for accomodation and stuff in Fiji, haven't really looked into it too closely though. Was tempted to grab one of those but I probably won't...

Collis
1st May 2012, 05:36 PM
Can hire clubs ;). Yeah sounds like a plan we are all booked so let me know and we can suss something...

Peter
1st May 2012, 05:51 PM
The Outrigger is fine if (a) you have young kids, or (b) you are going with a group of mates.

If neither of those is the case, stay at the Intercontinental (or go to one of the smaller islands).

Peppas
1st May 2012, 05:54 PM
The Outrigger is fine if (a) you have young kids, or (b) you are going with a group of mates.

If neither of those is the case, stay at the Intercontinental (or go to one of the smaller islands).

Sorry Collis, if what this man says is true I might be somewhere else in Fiji! :(

Collis
1st May 2012, 06:00 PM
Ok interesting? So it's a daycare and schoolies destination? Lol.

I'm worried where we are staying now

timah!
1st May 2012, 06:09 PM
Don't be. It's a great place.

Peter
1st May 2012, 06:34 PM
It's not a bad place to stay at all, I just think that it is a bit better suited to those two groups whereas the Inter is a bit quieter and better for couples (although more expensive).

timah!
1st May 2012, 07:14 PM
I think it'll be quiet enough for a couple in a bungalow ;)

Leon Phelps
1st May 2012, 07:54 PM
Got married at the outrigger, staff are top class, facilities a great, although it is getting a little dated I would highly recommend staying there.

matty
1st May 2012, 10:11 PM
1)Do a tour into the highlands. Hiked and took a very narrow dug out canoe up river to a remote village. They put on a lunch then we took a raft down the river, put on some life jackets and floated down through rapids etc. great fun.
2) Surf Cloudbreak - if you surf. I had it on a smaller day. It was enough.
3) Fishing tour.
4) go to a kava ceremony and drink enough so you can't feel a head on your shoulders.

Good times. Bula bula.

matty
1st May 2012, 10:13 PM
Stay away from Suva. It's a hole.

The rest is great.

EDIT- sorry, it was a hole in 1986. May be better now.

Still the same.

mudrat
1st May 2012, 10:14 PM
1)Do a tour into the highlands. Hiked and took a very narrow dug out canoe up river to a remote village. They put on a lunch then we took a raft down the river, put on some life jackets and floated down through rapids etc. great fun. 2) Surf Cloudbreak - if you surf. I had it on a smaller day. It was enough. 3) Fishing tour. 4) go to a kava ceremony and drink enough so you can't feel a head on your shoulders. Good times. Bula bula. +1. Great suggestions. Also add a shark feeding dive out of pacific harbor if staying on the coral coast.

WBennett
25th March 2013, 09:09 PM
The bride is now suggesting Fiji. With a 4 and 6 year old, anyone have any recommendations of where to stay and waht to do?

Lucasto23
25th March 2013, 09:18 PM
Find somewhere with a holiday club and go play golf

chappy1970
25th March 2013, 09:51 PM
Benno my wife and I are taking our 3 kids (4, 7 and 10) to Fiji in May. Can't remember where we are staying but will let you know how we get on.

And just to confirm to some others, I went to Suva for work in October last year. Still is a hole, like the Wild West

Ferrins
25th March 2013, 10:23 PM
The bride is now suggesting Fiji. With a 4 and 6 year old, anyone have any recommendations of where to stay and waht to do? Denarau say Sofitel good marina boat cruises and very good golf course. Sofitel has a great kiddies club and access to the beach.

WBennett
25th March 2013, 10:33 PM
Cheers chappy. Ferret, bride says no golf....

timah!
25th March 2013, 10:52 PM
We are going with the kid in September. She will be nearly one. Also going with friends who will have a 4 year old.

Staying at the Sofitel Denaru.

What to do? Nothing :D

s12raider
26th March 2013, 12:59 AM
Hilton - hands down best on Denarau. And if no golf then you might sneak away to the driving range which is 5-7 minute walk and they have clubs you can use (not great or that good - the clubs) but at least it is there.

And a plus ofr th ekids is a mini putt, bouncey thing, and if want to try a baseball cage machine they have that too. Easy to sell to the B2B. Or just ply her with drinks - or spike them - that's what I nedd (grin). Played 4 rounds over 6 days. bliss.

gazgolf1
26th March 2013, 06:20 AM
The bride is now suggesting Fiji. With a 4 and 6 year old, anyone have any recommendations of where to stay and waht to do?

Go to one of the smaller islands mate, pick one with a kids club and drop the kids off for a few hours per day for some mummy and daddy time. We went to Castaway Island last year and had a ball, pretty dear but worth it. http://www.castawayfiji.com/

PeteyD
26th March 2013, 08:08 AM
I have heard you want to try and get resorts with food included as it is expensive. Not sure how much that applies now.

gazgolf1
26th March 2013, 08:22 AM
I have heard you want to try and get resorts with food included as it is expensive. Not sure how much that applies now.

Yes we got the food package and it was worth it, some of the island resorts are renowned for their dodge food.
Always good info here http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g294331-i883-Fiji.html

timah!
26th March 2013, 08:32 AM

No more expensive than anywhere else.
It certainly wasn't something we noticed when we were there a few years ago.

Dumb things like chocolate and what not were crazy in the hotel complexes.

Stuartd147
26th March 2013, 09:13 AM
Have been there 10 times from when the kids were 3-6 up to now with kids 19 and 22. When the kids were little the best place was the Shangri la, it had a face lift a few years ago and is better now. Ammenities are great and the main pool is close to the beach for the kids. At 10-13 I recommend the Outrigger, they love kids there and the kids club is very well ran. Our last holiday 3 years ago was at the Hilton and that was fantastic but I would not recommend with youg kids as much as Shangri La. The new Natadola resort that Vijay is involved in has the best golf course, so you can stay at Shangri La and then bus it with other golfer to Vijay's place.

Suva is a dump, we have an office there.

...my 2 cents....Stu

wazandnic
26th March 2013, 12:08 PM
Go to one of the smaller islands mate, pick one with a kids club and drop the kids off for a few hours per day for some mummy and daddy time. We went to Castaway Island last year and had a ball, pretty dear but worth it. http://www.castawayfiji.com/

Yeah agree with this. Went there last Nov with a 4-6 year old. Stayed 4 days at Malooloo Island, next to Castaway (about 40 mins by catamaran from teh mainland) then another 4 nights back at the Radisson at Denaru on the mainland.

The island was much much better in our opinion. Maybe less to do, but great snorkelling just off the beach in front of your own little bure (hut), good kids club (the staff just love kids), nice food, free snorkel gear, kayaks, etc. less crowded and more importantly a great feel amongst all the staff. Was very relaxing.

The Radison was ok, but we really could have been in a resort anywhere. It was a bit cheaper but definitely more crowded and didn't really have that personal feel. Workers just seemed like they were there because they had to be. The "beach" was really just a muddy bank and not really that enticing to go swimming in. The kids did love the pool a bit more there as it was bigger and had a water slide, but other than that the island was much better. We did wander down to the Sheraton for dinner one night and it did seem to have a better vibe, but the pool area wasn't as good for kids.

I believe if staying on the mainland the better area is down south around the shangrila, outrigger as Stu mentions rather than Denauri, which don;t get me wrong is still nice and relaxing, but just not the same if you know what I mean. But if (when!) we go back would definitley pay more to stay at an island for longer.

Cheers,
Waz

Stuartd147
26th March 2013, 12:33 PM
Note ...the Hilton in Danaru is the ONLY one with white sand in Denauri all the others (last time I was there) is volcanic ash type sand, black, gritty and nasty in my opinion. I think the Hilton imported their sand, so it is white, like we are used to. The islands are great to but I dont there are any golf courses if you eant to play while you are there.

WBennett
26th March 2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks Boys, appreciate the feedback. Was looking at Shangri La last night and it seemed pretty good for what we are after.

The bride isn't a sunbake all day kind of girl, and the kids would spend all day in the pool if they could.

Keep the feedback coming though - it is all appreciated!

sms316
26th March 2013, 04:52 PM
Give the kids some kava Benno. You won't have any trouble getting them to eat their veges after drinking that stuff.

timah!
26th March 2013, 05:21 PM
Go Scuba diving! :D

mudrat
26th March 2013, 05:39 PM
Highly recommend a shark feeding dive if you are into scuba diving.

liptout
26th March 2013, 07:02 PM
Hilton is by far the best in my opinion, but the Sofitel has the best pool, and a water slide that the kids love......

But do yourself a favour and take your own clubs and play Natadola Bay. It's about a 45mins drive from Denarau and if you bargain all the taxi drivers off against each other you can get them for $120 Fiji dollars return trip. They stay and wait for you to finish and take you home..... Played it a few times now and love it, absolutely love it!!

Stuartd147
28th March 2013, 12:55 PM
Boo Hoo! 10th person that has said about Natadola.....we did not bring clubs this time...however I rang them and they new Clevelands as hire clubs, may give that a go...stu

Stuartd147
2nd April 2013, 04:19 PM
OK, Just had 5 days at Pacific Harbour and now at the Westin (part of Sheraton and they are next door)....we looked around before settling here....fantastic place!!

We checked out the Hilton (which we raved about after our last visit 3 years ago) but has nothing on the Westin in my view. Also, in their recent storms all the white sand at Hilton is gone and it now looks like a bare concreate jungle with a heap of Japanese newly weds hding for a spot in the shade.

By comparison the Weston is across the road from the driving range and FIJI golf course at Denaru. It has loads of coconut trees for shade near the beach, has a range of shops inhouse (can be expensive though) and enough different places to eat or drink to give you some variety. It is also just 2 minutes by taxi or Bula Bus from the harbour at Port Denaru which has 40-50 shops, convenience stores and about 20 different eateries which light up around the harbour at night.

I have to retract my previous "go Hilton" comments and jump onboard for the Westin...oh and get an ocean view room, sensational!

...Stu

WBennett
18th April 2013, 01:54 PM
OK - we are booked into the Sheraton at Denarau with unlimited golf included. I've been told two rounds is my limit!

Worth taking the clubs or just hire some there?

Stuartd147
18th April 2013, 02:01 PM
The hire clubs are all Mizuno 800 or 825's (non pro) and they looked OK for hire clubs to me.
I would take my own if not too much hassle.
The driving range which is right outside your door is a seperate business and their gear is rubbish.

chappy1970
18th April 2013, 03:26 PM
I wil be there from the 10th to 22nd of May.

A few days at the Hilton, then a week on Castaway.

Not taking the bats, will hire them if I play