PDA

View Full Version : NSW: Trackman range session: Narabeen range Tuesday 8th May 5:30pm - 9pm

Jono
30th April 2012, 02:47 PM
Now a proud owner of a refurbished second hand Trackman, I will be holding a Trackman range session tomorrow evening at Narrabeen driving range. I'll be leaving Wollongong around 4pm so hopefully, if the traffic is not too bad, I'll be there by 5:30pm.

I'm just beginning to learn what Trackman can do and it's bloody impressive. Whole host of features that can help you find the right equipment and also help you with your swing.

If I spend about 15 minutes with each person, we should be able to fit in about 10-12 people.

I can bring some second hand balls in good condition if you want to hit them instead of the range balls and pay me 50 cents a ball.

Who's interested?

** date set for next Tuesday 8th May **

timah!
30th April 2012, 02:53 PM
Frikkin awesome!

Captain Nemo
30th April 2012, 03:06 PM
Loooove to, but a bit short notice for me...:(

KristianJ
30th April 2012, 03:13 PM
Loooove to, but a bit short notice for me...:( Ditto...

virge666
30th April 2012, 03:23 PM
Do you want to bump it a week mate ?

JADO75
30th April 2012, 03:24 PM
You blokes up north could just get igolf to stand behind your ball & he'd be able to tell you all your numbers, fix your swing & give you life lessons.

Jono
30th April 2012, 03:26 PM
Guys, I'll try to hold another session later on in the year.

I'm meeting up with Virge tomorrow at the range and see what his numbers are like.

BTW, using Trackman made me realise that you can't trust any other launch monitor or speed radar device. The Achiever tells me that my driver spin is 4500rpm but the trackman says 2500 rpm. I hit a few drives hard last night and maxed out on the swing speed radar at 130mph. Same swing showed 120mph on the Trackman.

I hit my drives around 2-5 degrees on the upswing. I found that I actually hit is more solid when I swing the club more level rather than hitting it too much on the way up.

Peppas
30th April 2012, 03:26 PM
Jono are you going to hold one in Wollongong at some stage? :)

Jono
30th April 2012, 03:28 PM
Do you want to bump it a week mate ?

I'll have to talk to the practice manager. She approved me leaving early tomorrow so I'll have to see if she will let me leave early next Tuesday.

Guys, can you write down your availability for tomorrow and next tuesday? If there are significantly more people available next tuesday, I'll aim for then.

Jono
30th April 2012, 03:29 PM
Just held one yesterday. ;)

Let me know when you are free and you can have a hit at my place.

mudrat
30th April 2012, 04:36 PM
Bugger. Tuesdays are no good for me. :(

Dotty
30th April 2012, 05:17 PM
Sounds good, Jono.

See you there tomorrow (or next week).

Peppas
30th April 2012, 05:22 PM
Just held one yesterday. ;)

Let me know when you are free and you can have a hit at my place.

Awesome, lets tee it up for a month or so's time if that's ok? You can tell me how much my swing has regressed in that time, haven't swung a golf club for a few weeks and won't be until end of May :(

excelboy
30th April 2012, 05:37 PM
If it doesn't get oversubscribed i'll head up for a looksee - not of much use with my swing, but would interested watching how the numbers work.

Got to say 1.5hrs 'gong to Narrabeen could be optimistic!

Panpeter
30th April 2012, 06:09 PM
Would be great to finally get some numbers on my swing. ill see you down there about 630.

irishamateur
30th April 2012, 06:14 PM
Nice one! I am game, should be there 6.45

Peter
30th April 2012, 06:15 PM
Got to say 1.5hrs 'gong to Narrabeen could be optimistic!
I was just about to say the same.

I'll be a little surprised if it's less than 2 hours at that time of the day.

virge666
30th April 2012, 07:54 PM
Alright mAte. See you there.

Jono
30th April 2012, 09:02 PM
Guys, I'd already spoken to the practice manager and agreed to finish early NEXT Tuesday (ie 8th) instead of tomorrow.

See you guys next Tuesday.

Aiming to leave around 3:30-4:00pm.

Think about what you want to work on before then. eg. wedge distances, driver, iron distances.

Stuart came over tonight and worked on getting better launch conditions for his driver. He is a 5 marker to swings the club around 100mph. He tends to hit is a bit low with the driver with a bit too much spin. His spin rate initially was around 3500 initially and we got it down to 2500 after tonight's session.

Dotty
30th April 2012, 09:16 PM
See you next week with a driver.

Gomer
30th April 2012, 09:21 PM
I'd be keen for a session in Wollongong some time. I'm a hack like peps but be interesting to get some numbers on my swing.

Peppas
30th April 2012, 09:42 PM
I'd be keen for a session in Wollongong some time. I'm a hack like peps but be interesting to get some numbers on my swing.

In a month ok :)

Gomer
30th April 2012, 11:05 PM
Fine by me. ;)

Jono
4th May 2012, 01:45 PM
Guys, just an update.

I was supposed to receive Trackman training next Wednesday in Wollongong but we've changed it to next Tuesday. Rather than getting trained in Wollongong and rushing up to Narrabeen range, I'm now going to receive training at the Narrabeen range from about midday until 5pm. So feel free to come down from 5pm onwards for a swing analysis. To do a decent analysis, i'll have to spend around 20-30 minutes with each person so it may even be worthwhile putting your names down on a time slot so you don't wait around for too long.

Put your names down and copy and past.

5:00
5:30
6:00
6:30
7:00
7:30
8:00
8:30

Dotty
4th May 2012, 01:56 PM
7.00 Dotty

Actually, any time would suit me, so willing to sell the 7pm slot for a Cornetto and a lemon squash.

KristianJ
4th May 2012, 04:41 PM
Evidently they don't stock Peters ice creams at Narrabeen range.

Jono
7th May 2012, 06:57 PM
Last change of plans. I was going to have my training tomorrow morning at Narrabeen driving range to avoid driving through peak hour traffic but I decided to have the training locally in Wollongong. So I'll be at Narrabeen range around 5:30-6pm.

See you guys there.

Dotty
9th May 2012, 04:58 AM
Mnay thanks Jono, that was brilliant.

It gives me something to work on. (It was also interesting to watch the more gifted players immediately adjust their swings, angles, etc. and the impact of the change.)

matty
9th May 2012, 05:16 AM
FME. The only Tuesday in ages where meetings will hold me back. Wouldn't mind catching up down south at some time Jono.
I look forward to hearing about what is learnt from those attending.

virge666
9th May 2012, 07:44 AM
Cheers John, good night for an old bloke to stand in the cold.

Cracking job !

Jono
9th May 2012, 08:36 AM
I spent most of yesterday with my little orange friend (aka Trackman).

The Australia rep for Trackman flew up from Melbourne to train me. He arrived at my house at 10:30am and we hit a few balls indoors in my garage. I've got a projector set up and it works well with trackman because you can see the data straight away instead of having to walk back to the computer. We spent about 2 hours hitting balls and talking about Trackman and the software. Eventually I want to mount 1 or 2 cameras and combine it with trackman data so you can see how each swing corresponds to impact data.

We had quick lunch after that and drove up to Helensburgh driving range to test the Trackman outdoors. They have a good undercover area with a power point so it worked out well. The Trackman battery is supposed to last 8-9 hours but the laptop unfortunately lasts only 2 hours. I am going to get some spare batteries for the laptop. I learned a lot about impact data and what they mean and also how to create a report for someone. We finished off by doing a "Trackman combine" which involves hitting 60 shots from 55 meters up to your driver and you get a score out of 100. I scored around 65 which is pretty ordinary. I think the pros score in the high 80's. Something for me to work on.

I left the Helensburgh driving range around 4pm and spent over 2 hours in bloody Sydney traffic on my way to Narrabeen. Met up with Virge, Dotty and few of Virge's friends. The ball speed and spin rate was difficult to interpret because of the crap range balls. For example, Virge hit the range balls with 3500-4000 spine with the driver but hit the normal two piece ball with 2700 spin. What was useful last night was the approach angle, club path and face angle. One of the guys that had good clubhead speed was hitting everyting hard left with a draw. Not a duck hook but a hard pull. If you were his coach, you might have told him to swing further out to the right. But the Trackman told us that his club path was only slightly outside in (about 1-1.5 degree). however, his face angle was very closed (6-8 dgree). It was the face angle that was pulling his balls way left. We worked on getting his face angle more squared but left his path as it was. His right hand grip was very strong so we weakend that a bit. In the end, he hit couple of nice on line shots that had a hint of a fade.

My bad tendency is to duck hook my drives. I hit the ball with an open stance. My playing partners suggested that the balls are going left because of my open stance and I was pulling the shots left. Trackman told me otherwise. My path was consistently about 2-3 degrees inside out. It was my closed face angle that was pulling the shots left. I worked on the face angle as well and my shots were much straighter and on line.

Anyway, next Trackman day will be in Wollongong on a Sunday. Virge is going to let me know when he is free and I'll post up a date.

Peter
9th May 2012, 08:46 AM
Jono,

How much did this set you back? How much room do you need in your garage to make it worthwhile?

virge666
9th May 2012, 08:54 AM
Jono,

How much did this set you back? How much room do you need in your garage to make it worthwhile?

Think of a number for a full golf simulator... got it ?

Now multiply that by 8

Yes.

Jono
9th May 2012, 08:58 AM
How much did this set you back?

Quite a bit. It was the refurbished Tackman 2 model. Price available on their website.

How much room do you need in your garage to make it worthwhile?

I was initially told that I needed at least 3 meters from the ball to the impact screen. I had it at 3.5m. I found a lot of the data were not measured at that distance. I brought it back a meter and it is much better.

If you can have at least 4-5m from the impact screen to the ball, that would be ideal.

virge666
9th May 2012, 09:19 AM
When are you getting a trackman 3 ?

:)

Peter
9th May 2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks Jono. Ouch.

Will keep it in mind for when the missus asks what I want for my birthday / Christmas.

irishamateur
9th May 2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the chance to try it out lastnite Jono, really cool piece of kit!

FORE LEFT!

Aidan

Jono
9th May 2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the chance to try it out lastnite Jono, really cool piece of kit!

FORE LEFT!

Aidan

No wories mate. Lots of potential in your swing. Now you know what to work on, hope you will be hitting long straight bombs next time I see you.

Stuartd147
9th May 2012, 04:50 PM
Hey Jono, good work, we will expect 40+ points on Saturday now from you!!!

...Stu

Jono
9th May 2012, 09:02 PM
Hey Jono, good work, we will expect 40+ points on Saturday now from you!!!

...Stu

And we'll expect no more "your feet are too open" comments from you ... ;)

Stuartd147
10th May 2012, 09:20 AM
Touche!