Minor_Threat
25th April 2012, 06:57 AM
Lest we Forget!

TheTrueReview
25th April 2012, 08:21 AM
Yes.

Grunt
25th April 2012, 08:34 AM
All that needs to be said has been said above.

Eag's
25th April 2012, 08:35 AM
Lest We Forget!

TheNuclearOne
25th April 2012, 10:10 AM
Lest we forget!

Cheers Jarro.

Hamo84
25th April 2012, 10:29 AM
Lest we forget!

markTHEblake
25th April 2012, 11:59 AM
My wife (english 2nd language) asks me today what does "Lest" mean, and I am like "ummmm...lest."
I realised I had never really known about the specific meaning of that word, its not something that is ever used in everyday speech, well at least not any more. I get the meaning of the phrase in its context though.

paulyboy
25th April 2012, 12:10 PM
At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

chappy1970
25th April 2012, 12:20 PM
Took my eldest daughter to the Melbourne dawn service for her first time this morning. Special day for us.

This was my 16 th year attending the dawn service. It is something that is important to me and something that I generally like to attend by myself, but if any of my kids show are particular interest, I'm happy to take them with me.

Lest we forget

rubin
25th April 2012, 12:26 PM
There is something special about going to the dawn service. One of the things that always gets me is the collective pride in our country that people have on this day.

Zak
25th April 2012, 03:54 PM
Lest we forget

idgolfguy
25th April 2012, 03:56 PM
Daughter was part of the dawn service at Ellenbrook. Very moving. Parents were in Singapore during the war.

idgolfguy
25th April 2012, 03:58 PM
Lest - in case, to stop, barrier against.

Courty
25th April 2012, 06:23 PM
I didn't get to the local dawn service this morning (as I usually do), but the service on the shore at Gallipoli was quite moving.

Eag's
25th April 2012, 07:14 PM
Courty, before I die, that is something I am going to do.
What an amaizing experience it would be to be at ANZAC Cove on ANZAC day.

Hux
25th April 2012, 07:45 PM
100th Anniversary coming on in 2015 Eag's how good would that be!

And I am with you - Bucket List.

Eag's
25th April 2012, 07:59 PM
Damn straight Hux :smt023

Jarro
25th April 2012, 08:01 PM
Courty, before I die, that is something I am going to do.
What an amaizing experience it would be to be at ANZAC Cove on ANZAC day.

100th Anniversary coming on in 2015 Eag's how good would that be!

And I am with you - Bucket List.

Same here ... i'd love to go and check that beautiful little cove out

popper81
25th April 2012, 09:52 PM
100th Anniversary coming on in 2015 Eag's how good would that be!And I am with you - Bucket List.

We were talking about that trip today..... Think I will do it. Anzac day is a day to be cherished. I have had a mate do it, and it brought him to tears. I get chills standing on the beach at currumbin at dawn.

Lest we forget

BrentonJ
25th April 2012, 10:31 PM
In 2008 I walked Kokoda, we had a dawn service at Isurava It's impossible not to get emotional at somthing like that!

dave1
25th April 2012, 11:02 PM
Good news. They are going to do an anzac departure reenactment from albany (2014 I think) - many of the anzacs left from here.

Big julia gillard was in town last week to announce the funding as they do!

virge666
26th April 2012, 08:07 AM
I didn't get to the local dawn service this morning (as I usually do), but the service on the shore at Gallipoli was quite moving.

How good was the speech by the Kiwi. Nathan Guy.

Awesome stuff. 20 mins into it after that hateful bitch Julia managed to prove she has no charisma what-so-ever delivering a speech at the Cove.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/930473

just
26th April 2012, 09:25 AM
Hateful bitch really? Do you have to bring that sort of shit into this thread. Whatever you think of her, it's inappropriate in this context. And in the interest of disclosure, I've reported your post.

BrisVegas
26th April 2012, 09:37 AM
Took my girls to the dawn service at Gallipoli Barracks Enoggera yesterday (1st Signals Regiment). I think they got it.

Like some above, I'd like to get to ANZAC Cove and Villers-Bretonneux one day.

hocko
26th April 2012, 09:42 AM
Took my eldest daughter to the Melbourne dawn service for her first time this morning. Special day for us.

This was my 16 th year attending the dawn service. It is something that is important to me and something that I generally like to attend by myself, but if any of my kids show are particular interest, I'm happy to take them with me.

Lest we forget

Good onya Chappy,
I take my kids every year and they take turns to wear my medals. It makes them, and particularly me, very proud.
The best thing is i saw about 25, what you would call hoologan type kids at our local dawn service. Even tough they were in their hoodies and torn jeans, it was great to see them there paying their respects. I tip my lid to them.
I think Anzac day is the only day of the year that teenagers manage to get out of bed before 10AM.

Lest we forget.

just
26th April 2012, 09:50 AM
My eldest daughters march with their school at the local ceremony. I gave my medals to one and the other wore my wife's. It's a great experience for them.

virge666
26th April 2012, 10:52 AM
Hateful bitch really? Do you have to bring that sort of shit into this thread. Whatever you think of her, it's inappropriate in this context. And in the interest of disclosure, I've reported your post.

No problem at all.

It's not political, it is personal. She performed speech with little to no depth being delivered in some sort of forced tone trying to sound sincere. She has no passion, no emotion and no charisma. She could have been reading the weekly soccer scores.

The NZ foreign minister who followed her was nothing but class and showed how much of a vacuous imp that woman is.

virge666
26th April 2012, 10:56 AM
Good onya Chappy,
I take my kids every year and they take turns to wear my medals. It makes them, and particularly me, very proud.
The best thing is i saw about 25, what you would call hoologan type kids at our local dawn service. Even tough they were in their hoodies and torn jeans, it was great to see them there paying their respects. I tip my lid to them.
I think Anzac day is the only day of the year that teenagers manage to get out of bed before 10AM.

Lest we forget.

That is brilliant mate... Says a lot for the family tradition that ANZAC day has become.

just
26th April 2012, 11:10 AM
It's not political, it is personal.
That's irrelevent, it still is inappropriate in the context of this thread.

Webster
26th April 2012, 11:22 AM
How do you know she's not a bitch, Just?

virge666
26th April 2012, 11:23 AM
That's irrelevent, it still is inappropriate in the context of this thread.

I hear what you are saying... my apologies.

She really got to me yesterday, in case you didn't notice. But, some other great speeches put me back on track.

Back on the Cove, It always amazes me the topography of the place, you couldn't imagine a worse place to land.

sms316
26th April 2012, 11:24 AM
Is Virge's signature innapropriate in the context of this thread as well? Or is it only when referring to Juliar?

edit - Virge changed it for some reason.

just
26th April 2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks virge. FWIW I agree with your sentiments with respect to the PM's speech.

markTHEblake
26th April 2012, 01:31 PM
The true spirit of the Anzac is for mates sticking up for their mates and to hell with the politicians.

Steve
24th April 2014, 06:02 PM
For those that have gone before us

Lest we forget

tyrob
24th April 2014, 06:04 PM
Always remember them.. Lest we forget

Sydney Hacker
25th April 2014, 03:26 PM
Hmm just went to the fridge and I have Peroni (Italian ) and Becks (German) beer in there, un Australian to drink it today?

Lagerlover
25th April 2014, 03:33 PM
Italy had its moments..maybe just a small one

Mububban
25th April 2014, 04:57 PM
My sister and I go with my dad to the service at Blackboy Hill, then he goes into the city to march. Always good seeing everyone from all ages and walks of life paying their respects.

hocko
25th April 2014, 05:15 PM
My sister and I go with my dad to the service at Blackboy Hill, then he goes into the city to march. Always good seeing everyone from all ages and walks of life paying their respects.

Is the old man an ex AJ?

highballin
25th April 2014, 05:17 PM
Always remembered hope all the diggers had a great day.

Watched a great movie today. The Railway Man it's based on a true story of POW on the Burma railway. Terrible reminder of the horrors of war and it's after effects.

damoocow
25th April 2014, 06:42 PM
Hmm just went to the fridge and I have Peroni (Italian ) and Becks (German) beer in there, un Australian to drink it today?

Both those beers are now Australian - unless you actually imported them yourself.

PerryGroves
27th April 2014, 06:57 AM

Both those beers are now Australian - unless you actually imported them yourself.

Do you mean brewed under licence here? The yarpies bought Peroni.

markTHEblake
27th April 2014, 08:19 AM
Watched a great movie today. The Railway Man it's based on a true story of POW on the Burma railway. Terrible reminder of the horrors of war and it's after effects.Sounds fascinating, thanks for mentioning. I have visited the "bridge on the river Kwai" in Kanchanaburi Thailand and it is definitely a place that touches you. If you have an interest in this you must get a book or film, "return from the river Kwai" which is a true story quite unlike the Infamous Alec Guineas movie.

highballin
27th April 2014, 09:19 AM
Sounds fascinating, thanks for mentioning. I have visited the "bridge on the river Kwai" in Kanchanaburi Thailand and it is definitely a place that touches you. If you have an interest in this you must get a book or film, "return from the river Kwai" which is a true story quite unlike the Infamous Alec Guineas movie.

Thanks will check this out.

markTHEblake
27th April 2014, 12:54 PM
This actually has little to do with the River Kwai :-). Hence the title "from". I guess the author used that to enhance the profile of the book, though it's not misleading. But rather it tells the story of how much worse it got for those who left Kanchanaburi to be sent to Singapore then eventually to Japan although they didn't make it.

The book is great because it includes dozens of personal accounts that will tear you up. Following is just one of the milder ones.

http://www.pows-of-japan.net/articles/104.html

Lagerlover
27th April 2014, 01:20 PM
War is war, and the worst of the worst is on show from all concerned... but we really are a forgiving lot.

Steve
27th April 2014, 01:28 PM
Are "we"

Lagerlover
27th April 2014, 02:48 PM
Are "we"

Yes "we" are...

"our" most recent, 8539262..RIP.

highballin
27th April 2014, 07:58 PM
This actually has little to do with the River Kwai :-). Hence the title "from". I guess the author used that to enhance the profile of the book, though it's not misleading. But rather it tells the story of how much worse it got for those who left Kanchanaburi to be sent to Singapore then eventually to Japan although they didn't make it.

The book is great because it includes dozens of personal accounts that will tear you up. Following is just one of the milder ones.

http://www.pows-of-japan.net/articles/104.html

Wow thanks for sharing will be tracking down a Copy of that book. Couldn't stop reading that story.

ddasey
27th April 2014, 08:05 PM
Was in Melbourne on a family holiday.

Walked down to the Dawn Service at the Shrine of Rememberence.

What an awesome experience.

chappy1970
27th April 2014, 08:14 PM
I've read a number of books about the various conflicts Australia has been involved in. I'm certainly not a war monger, I just have a keen interest in understanding what those brave men and women that went before me did.

The Great War by Les Carlyon is a stand out. The story of Kokoda is incredible, but for me the Rats of Tobruk just blows my mind.

Managed to drag 2 of my 3 kids along to my 18th Dawn service. One of my favourite days of the year

70 thousand people at the Melbourne Dawn Service is just amazing