PDA

View Full Version : Blue Canyon Country Club

Nut
23rd April 2012, 05:09 PM
Hey guys,

I'm off to Thailand on Wednesday and am pretty keen to play a course whilst in Phuket. I've heard about the Blue Canyon course and ratings certainly say it is amazing, just wondering if anyone has played here and can recommend? Is it worth the extra Baht to play the canyon course over the lakes course? Are there any other courses in the area I should consider?

Cheers,
Nut

Minor_Threat
23rd April 2012, 06:29 PM
Played the Canyon course a few years ago. Awesome track, you won't be disappointed!

JADO75
23rd April 2012, 07:43 PM
Blue canyon is redonkulous! Even I think it's Phyket country club is a great track & it's one of the cheapest. Don't pay for it now, haggle the crap out of the street vendors that sell the golf packages. They are everywhere mate, first time in Thailand? Mmm ladyboyz! Haha

Nut
23rd April 2012, 07:59 PM
Ha ha cheers guys, yeah I've been well warned about the ladyboys! Spending 10 days in Phuket and am really looking forward to a game. Thanks for the tip on the street vendors I was going to book it from here. Definitely play the Canyon course over the Lakes course then?

JADO75
23rd April 2012, 08:09 PM
Yeh mate, grab yourself a $3 genuine titleist shirt before you play from the street vendors too. Pm me if you want nut, might be able to give you a few tips before go. I'm going Over again in July but taking my two young blokes for the first time, can't friggin wait!

TourFit
24th April 2012, 02:46 PM
Lakes has been extensively remodelled since I played there...but the Canyon Course is rated as one of the best in ASIA, not just Thailand. It is a sensational track with heaps of really good holes and a very tough test. Don't over extend yourself and choose the wrong tees though...or it'll eat you up!

Click on them for larger size!

16591 16590

Puji
24th April 2012, 03:12 PM
my favorite course. hands down.

Hence the avatar

you will not be disapointed!

Nut
24th April 2012, 06:04 PM
Hmmm my driver has been a bit off lately, is the Canyon course going to tear me a new one?

Grunt
24th April 2012, 06:46 PM
Fairways are fairly forgiving, it is seconds shots that will be torn.

Nut
24th April 2012, 07:05 PM
Have any of you guys also played Red Mountain? It seems to get rave reviews, how is it compared to Blue Canyon if you could only pick one?

JADO75
24th April 2012, 07:11 PM
I'm gona say Blue mate & there's nothing wrong with bleeding from the bottom!

Az2au
14th May 2012, 12:46 AM
New to the forum here (and getting ready to move to Sydney from the US for 2-2.5 years starting in June) but I have played several courses in Phuket including both Blue Canyon courses and Red Mountain (all several times). Blue Canyon-Canyon is a great golf course in every sense. Lakes is, eh, OK. Good enough but not something to travel and play. Red Mountain is very fun. I've taken co-workers to each and Red Mountain always wins for less serious players. Blue Canyon wins for more serious players. You'll enjoy either but I prefer Blue Canyon-Canyon because you can walk and it is a great test.

Nut
14th May 2012, 10:04 AM
Cheers for that mate, I ended up playing Red Mountain only because it was absolutely sweltering there 2 weeks ago (think 40 degrees and 85% humidity) so I really didn't want to walk. Red Mountain was amazing, certainly not disappointed by my choice. Fantastic golf course, great little caddy and some breathtaking holes! The elevation changes were enormous and some of the tee shot placements were extraordinary.

Next time I go back I'll certainly be playing Blue Canyon but hopefully when it's a little cooler. I couldn't recommend Phuket highly enough as a golf destination, it was the highlight of my holiday.

timinsa
14th May 2012, 12:48 PM
Even the original course at Loch Palm (Red Mountain) is a good track. Close to Patong Beach too.

hardboiled
14th May 2012, 01:27 PM
Great to hear. We've booked to play Loch Palm and Red Mountain in June. Looking forward to it!

tim_golfer2
20th August 2013, 06:11 PM
I'm taking the family (wife, son 16 & daughter 13) over to Phuket for a week at the end of September staying at Outrigger Laguna Resort. Taking the clubs and hoping to get in a couple of games. I'd be grateful for any tips.

Thinking I'll play Blue Canyon - Canyon course given the comments above and one other. I'm the only golfer. I'll try to team up with another player at the course.

Regarding buying the games from the street vendors, how does it work? How do you know you are actually buying a real game and not just handing money over to some random guy?

Will I find these guys around Laguna? Golf seems to cost a bomb over there so is the saving substantial?

I thought I'd be having a hit at the resort course but I've read that they only have 9 holes open while they are remodelling.

Thanks for any input re the above and anything else that might be of use. E.g. tours, sports, dining, bookings in general, sim cards...... sorry but I've got no idea!

Tim

benno_r
20th August 2013, 06:37 PM
If you are going to pay top dollar - go for Red Mountain. Not only is it got that WOW factor the either Blue Canyon course doesn't, it's a much more enjoyable track in my opinion. If I was going back I'd rank: Red Mountain, Loch Palm, BC Canyon, Phuket CC, BC Lakes, Mission Hills.

As far as Sim Cards go, just grab one at the airport. I got AIS and it worked fine everywhere I needed it.

Cheers,
ben

markTHEblake
20th August 2013, 08:14 PM
Yes grab the sim at the airport . Just google for it and you will be told which is the best one. I can't remember the name but it was heaps faster than here!

tim_golfer2
20th August 2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks Ben & Mark

Anyone got more info on buying your golf game on the street?

WBennett
9th January 2014, 11:12 AM
The wife is booking a holiday in July staying at Kata Beach.

Anyone been there with any idea of how far from anywhere it is?

Golf recommendations? Blue Canyon looks great but pricey?

Grunt
9th January 2014, 11:39 AM
Benno it is awesome but is a little away from the beach parts of Phuket. We stayed there. Would not be too pricey for a cab though.

WBennett
9th January 2014, 11:49 AM
Welcome back Grunt. How was the boat?

We are happy to be out of the hustle and bustle. I prefer it to the incessant movement and business of cities.

WBennett
14th April 2014, 11:48 AM
I'm only a couple of months from going away - what sort of money are you looking at for a round at Red Mountain?

Is it worth taking your own clubs for one round in a fortnight?

Marto65
14th April 2014, 12:28 PM
I'm only a couple of months from going away - what sort of money are you looking at for a round at Red Mountain?

Is it worth taking your own clubs for one round in a fortnight?

Are you playing in a comp?

Grunt
14th April 2014, 08:02 PM
I took my own, played 3 rounds in a week there. Just remember to tip your caddy well if you are returning to the same course. Tipped not enough and it did need explaining before the next round.

markTHEblake
14th April 2014, 08:46 PM
It might be helpful to know how much is not enough :-)

Who did you have to explain it too? That seems rather strange, usually if you don't tip a caddy enough they won't make themselves available to you again. So if they give you their phone number afterwards, then you tipped them enough.

wizard_of_oz
15th April 2014, 11:25 AM
Anyone got recommendations for courses around the Bangkok area?

3Puttpete
15th April 2014, 11:44 AM
Penicillin

WBennett
4th June 2015, 10:28 AM
I'm back in Phuket in a month. Played Red Mountain last time, this time looking elsewhere.

Blue Canyon the way to go?

Should I book on line beforehand?

benno_r
4th June 2015, 02:42 PM
I'm back in Phuket in a month. Played Red Mountain last time, this time looking elsewhere.

Blue Canyon canyon course is the pick if the 2, but is walking only.

Loch Palm isnt bad, better the lakes course at blue Canyon. Apparently the revised Laguna isn't bad. Mission Hills is average, as is Phuket country club.

WBennett
4th June 2015, 05:37 PM
I prefer to walk. Looks like a lock!

benno_r
4th June 2015, 06:24 PM
cool. Long walk, brutal rough - caddie will push the buggy though. Going to be as hot a sin. Enjoy!!

WBennett
4th June 2015, 06:41 PM
I did the cart thing last time and it just sucked. Felt like the course whizzed by and I didn't get to appreciate it.

highballin
4th June 2015, 07:29 PM

Playing Red Mountain in a few weeks time. How did you find it ?

Played Loch Palm last time and loved it!

wazamac
4th June 2015, 08:51 PM
Playing Red Mountain in a few weeks time. How did you find it ?

Played Loch Palm last time and loved it!

Played Red Mountain about 2 years ago. see attached photos. Fantastic course but try and play with someone else/ another group. It was just me and the caddie and took 1.5 hours. Did bump into a couple that were members of Glenelg. Of all the places.

35782 35783 35784

Can show you a few more on Saturday when me we meet up at Barossa.

highballin
4th June 2015, 09:21 PM
Yeah when I played Loch Palm it went to quick as well. Will have to see if I can find a group to join up with.

Grunt
4th June 2015, 09:23 PM
Benno when I played Blue Canyon I booked the day before. I was staying there though.

WBennett
5th June 2015, 08:55 AM
Playing Red Mountain in a few weeks time. How did you find it ?Played Loch Palm last time and loved it! Find someone else to play with, or slow it down... hit balls at the range. Have a beer at the drinks houses. I was picked up, played the round and back to the hotel in 4 hours. The course is ridiculously tight in places and spectacular in others. Glad I played there...

WBennett
5th June 2015, 08:56 AM
When are you there Highballin?

We are there in July. Ozgolf Thai Champs anyone?

Peppas and BennoR will come

Kenny Powers
9th June 2015, 05:19 PM
played red mountain about 12 months ago, and it is such a nice track but dam is it intimidating, super tight
no really rough as such just rock walls and mountains lol
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/42086-Red-Mountain-Phuket

highballin
9th June 2015, 05:31 PM
When are you there Highballin?

We are there in July. Ozgolf Thai Champs anyone?

Peppas and BennoR will come

Last week June first week of July. Thai champs I like it!:)

highballin
9th June 2015, 05:34 PM
played red mountain about 12 months ago, and it is such a nice track but dam is it intimidating, super tight
no really rough as such just rock walls and mountains lol
http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/42086-Red-Mountain-Phuket

Great pics KP

sheezymaneezy
10th June 2015, 07:21 PM
I'm golfing in Thailand start of July too :shock:

wazamac
10th June 2015, 08:28 PM
Last week June first week of July. Thai champs I like it!:)

Centara Hotels runs an Ametuer Tournament every year. I was trying to convince the wife too go to the one just about to be held. This year it is held in Hua Hin, Thailand.
They get people from all over the world for 5 days of golf. Must keep an eye out for where next years will be.

http://www.thailandworldmasters.com/

highballin
10th June 2015, 08:29 PM
I'm golfing in Thailand start of July too :shock:

I am only playing one game at Red Mountain. Can't afford any more, getting some dental work done as well while I am there.

sheezymaneezy
10th June 2015, 08:54 PM
Who knows maybe you'll enjoy it so much you'll put a few more rounds on your credit card!