PDA

View Full Version : random question.why do pros get their putter so early?

Eldrick
23rd April 2012, 04:36 PM
this has fascinated me greatly.

when the pros play a shot to the green and it sticks the caddy hands them the putter straight away,Then they carry it all the way to the green
they could be still 200 out from the green or not even first to putt

i can only thing of the one reason.And that's to get acclimatised to the weight and feel as soon as possible

anyone know for sure or have any other theories?

PeteyD
23rd April 2012, 04:37 PM
I think you may need to explain it a bit more.

Matt 3 Jab
23rd April 2012, 04:44 PM
Why does the caddy give the player their putter after hitting a shot onto the green in the fairway (or from where ever they hit the shot), and not just walk up to the green with no club in hand? I think thats what he means

Eldrick
23rd April 2012, 04:47 PM
correct Matt,
my language skill are poorer than my golf skills

PeteyD
23rd April 2012, 05:03 PM
Cos the feeling of walking up to the green from > 20m with the putter in hand is pretty cool. Any other shot you won't know the club until you get to the ball.

popper81
23rd April 2012, 05:03 PM
Have you ever had someone caddy for you? In my experience I feel like a dill walking up the fairway with nothing in my hands. Maybe they do as well?

sms316
23rd April 2012, 05:18 PM
Probably because the caddy can do things like repair the divot and then walk to the bag point while the pro walks onto the green and repairs his pitch mark.

Minor_Threat
23rd April 2012, 05:37 PM
Probably because the caddy can do things like repair the divot and then walk to the bag point while the pro walks onto the green and repairs his pitch mark. This!

Flowergirl
23rd April 2012, 05:41 PM
Happiness is a long walk with a putter!!! Not my quote - someone famous said it - don't know who!! But it is so true!!!

virge666
23rd April 2012, 05:42 PM
anyone know for sure or have any other theories?

Pretty obvious I thought...

The caddy has work to do - repair divot, clean clubs, organise kit . . . maybe rake a bunker.

The player can just grab the putter and head up to the green... the caddy can follow once he has done his side.

EDIT: Sorry Shawn - saw it late.

virge666
23rd April 2012, 05:43 PM
Happiness is a long walk with a putter!!! Not my quote - someone famous said it - don't know who!! But it is so true!!!

Norman.

LarryLong
23rd April 2012, 09:03 PM
Just in case anybody forgets where your ball is.

"Oh, me? I'll be using this one next".

The "Things to do" argument is probably a little bit moot for some players, because many players get their caddy to help line up the first putt.

Eldrick
23rd April 2012, 09:12 PM
Probably because the caddy can do things like repair the divot and then walk to the bag point while the pro walks onto the green and repairs his pitch mark.

Pretty obvious I thought...

if you're not an idiot like myself then yes it would be

Ferrins
23rd April 2012, 09:17 PM
So why don't club whackers pull the putter out of their bag and walk the 100+ metres pushing or carry their kid with putter in hand. I know that I am from now on.

IanO
1st May 2012, 03:39 PM

Greg Norman once said "The definition of success is a long walk with a putter in your hand"

IanO
1st May 2012, 03:40 PM
Bugger ... I should have read further down where Virge beat me to it

LeftyHoges
1st May 2012, 03:55 PM
I've caddied for my bro in the club champs the last few years (he won them again last Sunday, the prick!) and every time he hits the green I'll hand him his putter. Definitely putts a lot better when we do this. May be just a superstition by now but I feel it gives him time to get the weight and the feel of the putter as he walks. Plus it's a confidence booster for him too, knowing that he's just hit his 15th green in reg for the day from over 150...

PShaw
4th May 2012, 11:12 AM
DEfinately a confidence thing. Happiness IS a long walk with the putter. I personally like to get to the green fix pitch marks, need the putter to tap them don, and get into reading the putt. Normall y caddy goes to the side of the green fill divots and will be a little way behing a player when they reach a green so its a simply pace/speed thing. Quiet often if I miss a green I may take out my lobby, I can always change if its the wrond selection. I think most guys, I do, like walking with a club in hand, unless its after a bad shot then the caddy gets it away asap.

Eldrick
30th November 2013, 08:17 PM
Happiness IS a long walk with the putter
i understand this now.
Stuck a 5i from the fairway for GIR. grabbed my putter and sent my partner off with the cart while i walked to the green with half a chubby

madboarder
30th November 2013, 10:43 PM
Intimidation is a art form. Nice work Eldrick!!!!
[/COLOR]i understand this now.
Stuck a 5i from the fairway for GIR. grabbed my putter and sent my partner off with the cart while i walked to the green with half a chubby