PDA

View Full Version : Calling Apple and Android geeks!

bergsey
18th April 2012, 09:34 PM
Hey guys,

The missus recently upgraded from the dark ages to a Galaxy S2 (..well i upgraded). She also has an iPad

We also have a desktop PC which is now seeing infrequent use, but as you know you still just need once in a while for things that a tablet can't handle. The PC runs Win7 and Outlook 2010 which is the main calendar that she uses.

Other than connecting each device and syncing with the PC, what is the best way for all 3 devices to share and modify a calendar?

I was thinking using Google calendars with Google calendar sync running on the PC. Otherwise just do away with using Outlook 2010 altogether and use google calendars as the source once sync'd

Thoughts?

Cheers

AndyP
18th April 2012, 09:40 PM
I like Google calendar. If you go with that option, look at the app Calengoo (http://calengoo.dgunia.de/Start.html) for the iPad. It costs about $10, but it works very well with Google Calendar. The developer is always adding features.

markTHEblake
18th April 2012, 10:10 PM
I synch with google calendar, configures in two seconds on the iPhone. Don't use outlook but there is a free application you can get to provide the synch from outlook to google

idgolfguy
18th April 2012, 10:19 PM
If you still want Outlook, go with the business version of Google Apps. Much better syncing with Outlook client. Costs about $30/year per user.

Otherwise what MTB said. Give me a call.

markTHEblake
18th April 2012, 10:21 PM
Google apps is still free for up to 10 users.

idgolfguy
18th April 2012, 10:36 PM
You need to pay if you want activesync and some other M$ integration.

goughy
18th April 2012, 10:57 PM
When I was still using outlook and I first got my galaxy s I used google calendar sync (free) to sync my calendar, email and contacts. But I ended up doing away with them and just use Google now. I do all my email on my tablet these days anyway.

You can get calengoo on Android too. I use it on my phone and tablet. Just a little better featured than the standard calendar, especially when it comes to doing searches. Fully syncs with whatever Google calendars you have.

When I was using Ubuntu I used an outlook like program called evolution for my contacts, email and calendar and it had a natural sync with Google. It's available for windose now, and is free. You could give it a try as an outlook alternative.

markTHEblake
18th April 2012, 11:33 PM
You need to pay if you want activesync and some other M$ integration.

I definitely did not have to pay for whatever thingy plugin I ran in outlook, that went to some calendering website, which then synched with Google. WHatever it was it is the only decent one of its kind, and I have no idea what it is called. Have not used it for years.

Google now tells me they have their own app for it now, so looks even easier
http://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=13948&answer=89955

bergsey
18th April 2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks guys, have gone down the google calendar route with google calendar sync running on the PC. I suspect that most of the changes will be via the iPad which will automatically sync up to the google account. Now to have a look at contacts. In hindsight probably should have got her an iPhone and gone iCloud for everything. She only uses basic features though and the deal on the S2 was too good to pass up.

Thanks again

Johnny Canuck
19th April 2012, 12:09 AM
No worries, Bergs.

bergsey
19th April 2012, 12:19 AM
Solid contribution thanks JC....

Johnny Canuck
19th April 2012, 12:26 AM
I'm here to help.

idgolfguy
19th April 2012, 08:42 AM
I definitely did not have to pay for whatever thingy plugin I ran in outlook, that went to some calendering website, which then synched with Google. WHatever it was it is the only decent one of its kind, and I have no idea what it is called. Have not used it for years.Google now tells me they have their own app for it now, so looks even easierhttp://support.google.com/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&topic=13948&answer=89955We've migrated a couple of organization to Google apps with Exchange integration.