PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Guide

chappy1970
16th April 2012, 02:26 PM
I was on another US based Golf Forum site today and found the below gem. Really easy quick reference guide when trying to determine what different manufacturers shafts are equivalent (in profile) to another. For those who struggle with varying acronyms, I assume the ssx2 stands for Soft Stepped twice, etc. The grey boxes are for the pure shaft measurements, i.e. no soft or hard stepping, not trying to tell you how to suck eggs, just for clarity

Admins this has a Watermark of the other site, please let me know if this is against policy and I will amend accordingly.

Chappy
http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/chappy1970-ozgolf/ShaftGuide.jpg

rubin
16th April 2012, 02:36 PM
chappy - does it explain why some are higlighted and some not, or are the highlighted ones just the standard/popular ones?

Puji
16th April 2012, 02:42 PM
The picture isnt appearing for me...

Sounds like a great find ChappY!

chappy1970
16th April 2012, 02:45 PM
Explained in the OP Rubin, these are the measurements of the actual flex

rubin
16th April 2012, 02:51 PM
sorry mate - i only skim read your post.

chappy1970
16th April 2012, 02:54 PM
np Rubin, most people do :)

Peppas
16th April 2012, 09:12 PM
Where does the project x flighted and rifle come into the chart?

rubin
16th April 2012, 09:46 PM
Rifles are standard px shafts - but I wold guess that flighteds would flex at the same wouldn't they?

timinsa
16th April 2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks.

RobNewy
27th April 2012, 10:53 PM
Just found this. Cracking piece of info.
Numpty question , if I may.

Hard Stepping.
is that a 5i shaft into a 6i or vice versa?
I dont really get what it does.
I have PX 5.5's, and also have a new uncut 3i shaft. Why would it make a difference if I chucked it in a 4i and so forth down the line??

timinsa
27th April 2012, 11:18 PM
Hard step. 6 iron into a 5 iron head. Makes flex 1/3 stiffer.
Soft step. Reverse the above.
It changes flex roughly 1/3 of a flex allowing those using taper tip shafts more flex options.

TourFit
28th April 2012, 01:19 AM
Where does the project x flighted and rifle come into the chart?

Rifles are standard px shafts - but I wold guess that flighteds would flex at the same wouldn't they?

Standard Rifles are the FCM numbers...then the PX shafts are compared to them. So a standard trim PX 5.0 is equivalent of a 5.5 FCM (Rifle)

Flighted shafts are harder to put on this chart as they work on different freq slopes (the longer irons are 'effectively' softer, and the shorter irons stiffer) PLUS they are variable flex & kick points!!!

RobNewy
28th April 2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks Tim
So my spare 3 iron shaft. Does it make a difference if it was cut to a 9i length if i bent one or something, or do PX have to be used to
there designed length, or close to it?

goonie
15th June 2012, 10:08 PM
Here is a good one from Cleveland Golf, the Driver shafts have all been measured using the Miyazaki International Flex Code which measures the shaft in four places. It doesn't have all shafts but quite a few current shafts, and the flex code makes matching Flex profiles easy. It also has flight charts as well.

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/2012_Custom_Catalog.pdf

Flex Code chart - http://www.miyazakigolfshafts.com/#/philosophy