PDA

View Full Version : Golf Magazines am I over them?

gazgolf1
15th June 2004, 04:31 PM
There was a time when I would not have hesitated to pay extra for the latest American Golf Digest but I went to Borders books in Brisbane today and they had the latest "airmail" $11.00 copy and I flicked through it and could'nt justify buying it.

Am I getting old and turning into a tight @rse? #-o
Do I see too much golf stuff on the net? :smt024
Do I no longer care whats in Robert Allenby's bag?
Should I buy a persimmon driver and as they say in the Big Brother house "keep it real"?
Should I take up lawn bowls?
Should I hand over my testicles to my wife? :smt061

what the hell is going on?, has the Oxley GC killed my desire to "be all that I can be"?
Help me. :cry:

shu
15th June 2004, 04:56 PM
Well, I'm over them as well after I started visiting golf forums. Everything seems like old news in golf magazines :roll: Plus, more or less everything on Golf Digest magazine is on their website :)

goughy
15th June 2004, 05:12 PM
I may not be a club ho, but I am a magazine ho.

At one stage I was buying one golf mag per week. Gotta have something to read at work. It does seem tho that all the good articles in agm and agd come straight out of gd america. Once my subscription to agd runs out I'll probably just get it.

nudgee
15th June 2004, 05:16 PM
Dude you need to change GCs and come to Nudgee!!! I did check today and unfortunately there is no discounts given - all the same mate you will rekindle your love for the game when you come to nudgee :wink:

jaster
15th June 2004, 05:31 PM
I only buy American Golf Digest nowdays where as I use to buy every magazine that was available. I would buy Golf Magazine if we still go the American version. Sometimes I buy the UK mags if there is something about Paul Casey or Ian Polter etc that is not in the other mags.

I am sick of buying Australian magazines and reading about stinking MOONAH LINKS :x and Albury Wodonga and Murray river golf :wink:
Anways, other than the glossy pictures and the new magazine smell magazines offer me nothing over the NET 8)

McMw
15th June 2004, 05:44 PM
Living O/S helped me to break my habit!!! :lol:

at one stage, I was buying the 3 aus golf mags, 1 UK golf mag, Fast Fours and Hot Fours and HPIs and a fishing mag...

it was a good thing Inside Edge went up in price too... :lol:

gazgolf1
15th June 2004, 05:50 PM
I am sick of buying Australian magazines and reading about stinking MOONAH LINKS :x and Albury Wodonga and Murray river golf :wink:
Anways, other than the glossy pictures and the new magazine smell magazines offer me nothing over the NET 8)

I know what you mean jaster :?
there is so much crap in Aussie mags that has nothing to do with golf.

goughy
15th June 2004, 05:52 PM
Yeah gaz, but I now know all I need to know about the bmw 7 series and how to catch barra in the north of aus, not that I'm interested in either. :lol:

AndyP
15th June 2004, 11:34 PM
I don't buy or read any of the golf magazines, and I enjoy my golf without it. Although, I do pick up The Golfer if I see it in a clubhouse.

I may not be a club ho, but I am a magazine ho.

Who are you kidding? You are a ho in training. :P

Jarro
16th June 2004, 09:26 AM
I've just finished getting my 1 year subscription to AGD.

I received it at a good rate as part of my old Teamfore golf membership :roll:

but i don't think i'll subscribe again.... like someone before said, you can get all the info off the net anyway..without all the ads :evil:

only mags i'll buy now are the girlie mags ... FHM, etc. :wink: :smt061

Fishman Dan
16th June 2004, 09:47 AM
Jarro, i think AGD will help your golf more than FHM will help you pick up a model ;)

I actually never read the May ed of AGD after being away, and days after the June edition came out. I was a little over it, but i read June recently and found it quite good. I rate it better than Golf Australia.

Never get into the American/UK mags. If i have to endure advertising, it may as well be relevant.

McMw
16th June 2004, 05:12 PM
FD - UK's Today's Golfer is a good mag - slightly cheaper than the AUS mags...

love if for the eqt review and the tips...
and the interviews they do...excellent read...

but yeah....abt the last 1/4 of the mag is all ads for courses most of us will never set foot on... :roll: