PDA

View Full Version : Next step at work

peter_rs
14th April 2012, 09:00 PM
Would you give up your current position to be the general manager?

Does it reflex badly if you don't accept?

Webster
14th April 2012, 09:05 PM
No, I'm already the GM.

Yes, very much so.

AndyP
14th April 2012, 09:07 PM
Not enough information for this hypothetical.

More money?
Impact on life?

Dotty
14th April 2012, 09:12 PM
No.

No. Some people are better at being a Radar O'Reilly than a Colonel Blake.

peter_rs
14th April 2012, 09:20 PM
I left it without much information so you based it on your own experience

Money- on the surface maybe a 30% increase but I make that in overtime on projects. I will loose a RDO.

Hours- its probably the same

Travel- less long trips more short ones

The company is small sub 25 employees, but our parent company has about 140.

Current GM contract is up in 6 months(they were installed after the buy out) and I have been told if I don't take it they will have to look outside the company.

Eag's
14th April 2012, 09:24 PM
Sounds to me like an ideal step up for you Pete. If you don't have a crack at this now, you may not get another opportunity in the future.

AndyP
14th April 2012, 09:28 PM
My experience is from a massive company where being a GM is not a possibility.

No for me, but I've had time off work and appreciate my time at home with the family more than others might.

jaybam
14th April 2012, 09:30 PM
I would think your better doing it now than when you have kids

peter_rs
14th April 2012, 09:30 PM
If I want to leave project management and go to admin I agree it's perfect.

peter_rs
14th April 2012, 09:37 PM
I would think your better doing it now than when you have kids

I was thinking the reverse. I already work to much and I added the RDO at my last review to try and cut back. Trying not to set to many bad habits before kids

At least I can flexi of early now if I can but you cannt as the boss.

MegaWatty
14th April 2012, 09:45 PM
No.

No idea.

Too.

timah!
14th April 2012, 09:52 PM
Yes.

May not reflect poorly, but shows how career minded or driven you are.
(So yes, I guess it can reflect poorly)

jaybam
14th April 2012, 09:54 PM
Get drunk and flip a coin.

Jarro
14th April 2012, 09:56 PM
Do it

markTHEblake
14th April 2012, 09:56 PM
Sometimes the best answer is in a song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co26PuQPX2s

peter_rs
14th April 2012, 10:00 PM
I guess it's just a path I didn't really think about.

I only just feel like I m getting use out of my uni time.

BrisVegas
15th April 2012, 06:10 AM
Much like Andyp said, a gm role is not something i'd ever consider. But in a small business it might be good experience towards a career in that area. A good mate of mine was a manuf engineer who was promoted away from engineering too quickly. he regretted it and later took a lower profile role to try more hands on. Everyone is different. For me, no way would i give up time with family for 30% more money. I've turned down similar offers where i am now and m boss respects my decisions. it should never be about money. you've got to enjoy what you do at work and strike a balance that works for you and your family. Good luck with the decision Pete.

3oneday
15th April 2012, 06:28 AM
Do they teach you to speel when you become a GM ?

Grunt
15th April 2012, 06:40 AM
Depends on your aims in your career, I would take it but I am looking for that sort of role now after 23 years on the floor.

In my career, saying no to a higher duty at any stage is career limiting. Am currently in a Senior role that I don't really want but I need to have it in the resume to go forward.

No right or wrong decision in my view just they stake out different paths.

PerryGroves
15th April 2012, 07:19 AM
I dont know you but you did ask.

The company is looking to promote from within, good on them, is this the first time they have spoken to you regarding succession planning?

If you know the business and have "some" vision why risk having someone come in from outside who has neither, not saying it will happen however its a risk.

Do you feel any responsibility to the staff?

Daves
15th April 2012, 08:01 AM
If you think you can do the job and have some passion for it, go for it. As Blakey suggested, never let a chance go by, especially at your age! You can get pickier when you are older.

sms316
15th April 2012, 08:05 AM
Take the job. The divorce rate is high enough to suggest there are no guarantees at home anyway.

AndyP
15th April 2012, 08:09 AM
I thought it was a hypothetical thread.

live4golf
15th April 2012, 08:27 AM
Does your surrent role have any bearing on the success of the GM? - If so, who will be stepping up to take on your current role? - will they be able to make you as succesful as you made the current GM?

Is it something you want to do? - for me it isn't and in my current company it is not an option anyway. Do you still have career goals you need to achieve in your current role?

If I still had goals I needed to reach in my current role, no I would not take it on. If I was not sure the team begind me could help me be successful, no I would not take it on (but I would focus on the career goals).

Good luck.

peter_rs
15th April 2012, 09:11 AM
I guess the answer for me is no it not the first time, I was ready to leave 2 1/2 years ago when the buy out happened and it was one of the possibilities mention among other that caused me to stay.

As its a international group the idea of a different role in another state was of interest. Now shazza has a good government job and the house so interstate is no really an option any more for awhile.

The bigger issuse is there is no one that can step up to my role, my projects at are not huge margin but big dollar and are about 1/4 of the annual revenue. We were already looking for a helper for me from outside

As I said the hours may be less and there would not be month long trips away.

I do have ideas for the company but the direction/ core business is changing.

Yes I have things to achieve in my current role but it's a always changing role anyway

PeteyD
15th April 2012, 10:49 AM
If you like the direction the job will head in it is a no brainer Pete, go with it. Someone will come along to do your old job, remember no one can not be replaced, so the needs will be met.

dave1
15th April 2012, 11:19 AM
Impact on life V money

at times I have gone both ways - taken a promotion and in some cases I have asked to be demoted (yes take less cash and less stress - less money but happier)

if you dont have any kids I reckon go hard for promotions if you have kids that are young be there for them as they grow up very fast.

kpac
15th April 2012, 02:11 PM
30% raise. Lose 1 RDO - but reduce your time away from home. So that pretty much balances out.
Be mad not to...

peter_rs
15th April 2012, 03:29 PM
RDO is no lose as I only got it at the last review. Lose of flexi would hurt more.

I think I'm more worried with the lack of variety and once your a GM there is not really another step and if I do leave in the future I'm worried the lack of on going experience will count against me as a engineer.

matty
15th April 2012, 08:23 PM
Take it. See how it goes. Who knows when you might need it on the CV. You can also step back but may not be given the chance to step up again.

idgolfguy
15th April 2012, 09:02 PM
Go the GM role, better to have the experience. Lots of PM roles around. Very few GM opportunities.

Manage the role the way you want it to go. Create or set expectation early so the role is you and not vice versa.

Better to be in the position of making decisions rather than have someone else impose their will on you.