PDA

View Full Version : Vic: TiminSA & LeftyHoges' Portland Adventure

LeftyHoges
9th April 2012, 10:23 PM
Tim and I met up this morning for some fun and frivolity at Portland GC (my home track) and were greeted by some gloomy skies and 45 km/h winds. While the skies eventually cleared (bar a brief 2 minute shower on the 7th) the wind stayed strong and made for some interesting golf in trying conditions. While neither of us played exceptionally well we made quite a few good pars and the occasional birdie to keep the scores half respectable and on track. Not really sure of our exact scores (we weren't caring that much) but we both would have shot around the 80 mark.

Had a great day with you Tim and look forward to catching up again, wherever it may be (hopefully in Adelaide soon!)

Anyway, here's a couple of action shots I managed to sneak of Tim in full-flight...
Chip sequence - 10th (340m par 4)
Tee shot on 11 (155m par 3)
Hit the green on 11 and a successful two-putt

LeftyHoges
9th April 2012, 10:29 PM
Tee shot off 12 (375m par 4)
Chip shot onto 12

Will upload the video I got as well a bit later, YouTube seems to be having some issues right now...

timinsa
11th April 2012, 10:47 PM
Finally back in SA & now have time to add my side of this story.

Perfect day for golf (high winds, 12º & showery) greeted me as I arrived in the car park at Portland GC. My missus opened the car door & muttered something in the vicinity of "You're f@#$%g mad", grabbed the keys & drove off leaving me standing alone in the car park.

Not too busy at the club Easter Monday (see weather report above). The only 2 other blokes on course were from Mt Gambier & were both dressed in shorts the mad bastards.

Soon after Lefty rolls up in the brightest limey green/yellow Ford money can buy. When he got out of said Ford I realised the colour of the car was specifically chosen to make his golf attire seem tame by comparison (see vid). Not knowing I would be playing with a fellow non conventional golf attire wearing type person I'd opted for the more conservative Black on Navy, not-getting-punched-out-in-the-clubrooms-for looking-loike-a-poofter garb.

Pleasantries were exchanged & we headed to the first.

Despite the overnight rain the course was in top nick. Portland is a very nice track with several memorable holes & the greens were fantastic to putt on. I'd happily play there again....& still shoot 83. :shock:

Lefty is a great host & a credit to the place. On many tee boxes he told me where not to hit it off the tee only to hit his own ball exactly to that spot to demonstrate the hardest way to salvage par on a particular hole. I believe he was channeling Bubba after finding out on the front 9 he'd just won the Green Jacket. He's clearly got game....& so does Lefty.

With the wind a serious factor, I struggled to pick the right club for second shots & came up short on several holes. Still we had a good time & despite the weather managed to get it around without losing a ball or our minds. Shot of the day was recorded for posterity & can be seen below.

Thanks Nick for a great day. I'll show you where not to hit it at RA when you come over this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arHKf69KO5c

LarryLong
12th April 2012, 12:55 AM
Being left handed, and wearing those pants...nice commentary work there Tim. :)

I actually like the pants, but I think the awful matching belt-collar combo takes the focus away. Less is more, Lefty. :)

LeftyHoges
18th April 2012, 04:40 PM
Being left handed, and wearing those pants...nice commentary work there Tim. :)

I actually like the pants, but I think the awful matching belt-collar combo takes the focus away. Less is more, Lefty. :)

But more is more as well, isn't it??? :razz:

Lefty is a great host & a credit to the place. On many tee boxes he told me where not to hit it off the tee only to hit his own ball exactly to that spot to demonstrate the hardest way to salvage par on a particular hole. I believe he was channeling Bubba after finding out on the front 9 he'd just won the Green Jacket. He's clearly got game....& so does Lefty.

Thanks for the very kind words Tim. I don't think I showed you much of said "game" but was still a pleasure to knock the pill around with you. You're not so bad at this game yourself, ya know. :wink:

Finally managed to get the video of Tim's approach shot into 16, a 510m par 5 slight dogleg to the left, of course playing into and across previously mentioned wind.

I believe this was from about 160m and required a fairly long iron. Did well to be just short and right of the green.

http://youtu.be/4rNGUEIdWFE

oncewasagolfer
18th April 2012, 05:04 PM
My home club has reciprocal rights at Portland I should get down their for a hit one day the course sounds good. I don't think I have enough game to get away with wearing that gear though:)

LeftyHoges
18th April 2012, 05:36 PM
My home club has reciprocal rights at Portland I should get down their for a hit one day the course sounds good. I don't think I have enough game to get away with wearing that gear though:)

I'm gonna assume your from Ballarat then???

oncewasagolfer
18th April 2012, 05:44 PM
I'm gonna assume your from Ballarat then??? No I used to play at midlands but back playing at Maryborough the last few years.

LeftyHoges
18th April 2012, 08:05 PM
No I used to play at midlands but back playing at Maryborough the last few years. Ahh, cool. Been a few years since I played at Midlands. Really enjoyed it though. Great track. Never played maryborough. Nice course?

oncewasagolfer
18th April 2012, 08:16 PM
Ahh, cool. Been a few years since I played at Midlands. Really enjoyed it though. Great track. Never played maryborough. Nice course? It's a short country course, narrow fairways, small greens. The fairways are great but the greens and definitely bunkers and rough let it down imho. Tbh I only play there because it is 2 minutes from home. I would be still playing at midlands if there were others with cars to travel with was a great club and challenging course.

oncewasagolfer
18th April 2012, 08:23 PM

catch22
18th April 2012, 11:43 PM
Sounds like you guys had fun, nice looking course lefty.

Thought the pics were of a burglar running off with your clubs ... all black with the beanie Tim ... nice looking shot though!

PerryGroves
19th April 2012, 07:16 AM
Lefty, nothing better than taking the piss, 200 out up against a tree, you then should have said to Tim, "ïs the pin front or back". No comment on the Man City away strip. Got a mate living in W'bool, will have to get down that way one day