PDA

View Full Version : Ping I20 irons

backintheswing
2nd April 2012, 06:28 PM
Had my first hit with these today. Wow. What can i say.

I was tossing up between these or the S56's, but with my lack of recent play and virtually no practice, I decided on the I20's.

They feel really solid with nice forgiveness compared to the J36 blades I was using. I know the lofts are different, but the I20's are at least a club longer. I got fitted for them as well, and going 2* upright and 1/4" longer seems to have corrected hitting slightly out of the toe.

I went with the CFS shafts in stiff as well.

Anyone else played them yet?

Captain Nemo
2nd April 2012, 07:09 PM
My mate bought the set 3 had for sale on here.
He had Ping Zing 2's b4 that, loves them......

meh
2nd April 2012, 08:13 PM
My mate bought the set 3 had for sale on here.
He had Ping Zing 2's b4 that, loves them......

Anything would look good next to ping zing 2's ;)

hardboiled
2nd April 2012, 08:20 PM
Bought a set last week.. 3-UW, Tour S Rustique 54/58 Wedges, Blue Dot, CFS shafts in Stiff

First impression after one round:

The middle and short irons sets up really nicely.
Have to get used to the offset in the longer isrons
A bit more forgiving then the Miura CB 501's
Feels quite nice. Almost like a forged iron.

backintheswing
2nd April 2012, 08:22 PM
I bought 5-9. I have 47, 50, 54, and 60 Tour-s wedges. Offset is ok in the 5 iron. I picked up 2 I15 hybrids in 20* & 23*

Captain Nemo
2nd April 2012, 08:24 PM
Anything would look good next to ping zing 2's ;)

Look better yes, but have you ever hit the zing 2's?
Great feeling club, easy to hit, yeh ugly but they where ahead of their time....
Classics!

meh
2nd April 2012, 08:26 PM
Look better yes, but have you ever hit the zing 2's?
Great feeling club, easy to hit, yeh ugly but they where ahead of their time....
Classics!

The old man has a set, they're horrible imo. If you know someone who wants to buy a set, let me know.

Stuartd147
2nd April 2012, 08:29 PM
I have tried them at 2 demo days and on a launcher at power golf, they are easy to hit with a higher launch than my Miura's but I would have to try them on course to see if they are more accurate, especially distance wise. Have been following some comments on Golfwrx and it seems Ping has been swamped with orders for these and are struggling to clear demand and back logs....seems they are on a winner with these....stu

backintheswing
2nd April 2012, 08:48 PM
I ordered mine on the 14th March. They were an American order and arrived in Mackay on Friday 30th. That's a very fast turnaround. I was told if you order black dot and standard length, they will be around 2-3 days ex Sydney.

hardboiled
2nd April 2012, 09:48 PM
Mine was an order from the states as well. Took 2 weeks.

goughy
3rd April 2012, 06:48 AM
So would these be an upgrade from my trusty i3's? ;) The problem with ping clubs is they last forever, even longer if you never play golf!

Dotty
3rd April 2012, 07:18 AM
So would these be an upgrade from my trusty i3's? ;) The problem with ping clubs is they last forever, even longer if you never play golf!
Mike can change these to i30 and you'll then be ahead of everyone else.

3oneday
3rd April 2012, 07:30 AM
Can't say i'd ever heard of Pings being compared to Muira. These are i15's with a ferrule and a paint job. I wish the i25 was an i10 reincarnate.

goughy
3rd April 2012, 07:41 AM
Mike can change these to i30 and you'll then be ahead of everyone else.

No Korean rubbish for me thanks!

Stuartd147
3rd April 2012, 08:16 PM
Can't say i'd ever heard of Pings being compared to Muira. These are i15's with a ferrule and a paint job. I wish the i25 was an i10 reincarnate.

I wasn't comparing the Miura's to Pings per-say, rather saying the I20's had a higher ball flight to what I was now used to. As for the i15's....I had them 2 years back with awt's and hated them, reshafted them with zz65's and they were much better, traded these in for 710 AP2's - way better feel, looked better but distances were hard to control (for me) 12 months ago traded against S56's and found these to feel better overall and much more accurate. Down to 11hcp. Always drooled over Miura's so I bit the bullet and have had the Miura PP-9003's now for 6-7 months and they are great clubs, down to 6hcp now! But the Miura's are soft and won't last forever and the HO in me says time to try something new......now the i20's....these look way better than the i15's, they feel way softer than I expected and softer than any cast club I have ever played, the CFS shaft seems to perform really nicely and they are tough as rocks.....i15's with ferrules???? That is selling them a bit short for mine....my 2c....:wink:Stu

3oneday
3rd April 2012, 09:50 PM
I meant hardboiled Stu, you didn't compare them.

Same chunk, new paint job. I didn't mind the look of them... from the back.

Planet Golf
5th April 2012, 02:08 PM
I have the i20s - 3w, 2h, 4h, 5-U and Tour S 54 and 58

CFS Stiff.

First comment is that this shaft is phenomenal, and I was playing Aldila Pro 105g stiff graphite before it, which was supposed to be the ducks guts. The steel feels brilliant in the swing and the hands, no comparison with Zz65, DGS, Project X Steel.

I had them properly fitted, amazing, wasted so much money on adjusted clubs previously, makes me want to cry.

i20s look awesome and have that forged feel too. I will be gaming them for 10 years (whilst changing drivers every year!)

Stuartd147
5th April 2012, 02:27 PM
10 years eh? We will be monitoring this:cool:....fine choice though and good luck...Stu

Captain Nemo
5th April 2012, 02:47 PM
My back-up set are Ping i3's circa 2000 Stu, .........10 yrs and still get a hit every now and then!:wink:

goughy
5th April 2012, 03:34 PM
Pings- teen years and they'll look unhit!

adamsgolfer
29th May 2012, 04:45 PM
Ping stock swing weight for these is D0, just curious, what swing weight did you i20 owners end up going with? Does the club feel light or canwell balanced?

I'm 182cm with 89cm wrist to floor - Ping webfit puts me into a std length black dot and a fitting at a (larger) retail outlet puts me in a +1/4" blue dot but to be honest the best ball striking came from a std length blue dot with stock D0 swing weight so I'm actually thinking of just making an offer on the demo set or going new but with demo set specs but a but worried about low swing weight over long term.